Keep Calm and Go to Disney! 10/21 - 11/4/14 COMPLETE

Well Austin is right down the road! Let me know if you make it my way to San Antonio. We can go have some good margaritas and mexican food!

Originally I was to meet up with Beth (Couchy) and her DH for dinner on this night, but her husband was sick so this ended up being a solo meal. I arrived at the Grand Floridian a little more quickly than expected so wandered around for a bit and enjoyed the "grand" ambiance of this hotel, including the pianist and the two little princesses who were also enjoying his music...

And then the orchestra began "jazzing it up" in the upstairs balcony...

Then it was time to check in for my dinner at...

I first must say that my previous experiences with Citricos have been rather "hit and miss". The first two were definitely misses, with terrible service and just okay food. I actually might not have returned for a third, except that I went along with the Dec. 2013 DIS group which included Paula (smile4stamps) and her husband, Hunter. They are friendly with the chef at Citricos, so we were treated quite well and the meal was a definite hit. However, I was still a bit leery about dining here again...this time without my lucky charms (aka Paula & Hunter). ;) Much to my relief, my worries turned out to be unfounded. But I'm getting ahead of myself, so let's back up and take it from the beginning.

I was seated close to the dessert station where the pastry chef was hard at work...

Loved this awesome view, but it made me hungry so I was happy when they brought me both the bread basket...

...and an Amuse Bouche.

The multi-grain bread is ok but I really like the other one, which has kalamata olives. As for the amuse bouche, unfortunately I don't recall what it was and only wrote in my notes that it was good. From the photo, it looks like a soft cheese?? :confused3

Anyway, it was then time to make my entree choice (I skipped the appetizers) from their November 2, 2014 menu...

I decided to play it safe and get the same entree as I had and enjoyed here last time...

Oak-grilled Rib-Eye Filet of Beef with Roasted Marble and Creamy Blue Cheese Potatoes with Amber Pepper and Sun-dried Tomato Relish

And I'm happy to report that it was even better this time. The steak was excellent, cooked to a perfect medium and well-seasoned. This was the best steak of this trip...far better than the ones I had at Flying Fish and Le Cellier and a notch better than my Yachtsman Steakhouse filet. And then there were the delicious blue cheese potatoes and the slightly sweet tomato relish topping. This entire entree receives my "All-around Excellent" stamp of approval. :thumbsup2

Of course, after seeing so many of these wonderful desserts being made, I had to order one for myself...

Warm Chocolate-Banana Torte with Vanilla Ice Cream and Handcrafted Belgian Couverture Chocolate Crown

This is a chocolate lovers dream! :cloud9: So very rich and chocolatey. In lieu of the suggested port wine pairing or a glass of milk ;), I went with a French press pot of coffee...

(sorry for the blurry pic)

But in case you are not a fan of chocolate desserts, there were a half dozen others to choose from...

And as an added bonus, on my way out I stopped at the dessert station counter to take some photos. The chef there was so nice, and actually starting posing some of the desserts for me.

Lemon-scented Cheesecake with a blanket of White Chocolate Ganache

Tropical Fruit Creme Brulee with Mango and Assorted Berries

And last but not least, a dessert from the Kids' menu...

White Chocolate Oreo "Mickey" Mousse

So overall this was a wonderful meal, with both great food and service. I would no longer be hesitant about dining at Citricos. Though the two of us got off to a bad start, we are now the best of friends. ;)

Oh, and one more bonus pic. For those who might be interested. here was the posted menu for Victoria & Albert's that night...

Next up: Breakfast at Cape May

Welcome back, Barb! I've always enjoyed Citrico's so I'm glad you had another good experience. My sister swears by their Green Apple sorbet but any dessert I've had there has been wonderful.

We went to Citricos when we were there, the night of the 20th. We had the most excellent server and the food was amazing. I got the Rock Shrimp appetizer, the Filet of Beef and the same dessert that you did. It was hands down one of my favorite desserts I'd ever had on Disney property. We will definitely be back!

Congratulations to your daughter! Austin is a great town and has many tasty foodie offerings!

That looks like a very good meal. I have never eaten at Citricos but that is definitely tempting now. Those desserts look amazing, I'd probably go just for that.

I'm reeeeaaallllly late to the party, but I just wanted to thank you for your Wanyama Safari review. We already had Jiko booked for our upcoming fall trip and were kind of bummed we couldn't find room in our plans for the Wild Africa Trek. And then, like a glowing beacon of light, of compromise, thanks to your trip report came the Wanyama Safari! Oh, and what's this I see? We're staying at AKL this trip as well!? SCORE! DF just couldn't come up with a reason not to book it! Thank you!

I just changed our dining reservations for today/tomorrow and didn't realize it was after midnight. Since I already canceled one to change to another, can I call in the am to see about waiving the fee?

Well I may need to go back there and try that filet, as the YM makes a good one. However this sounds fantastic. We ate there 5 years ago and it was very lovely. However I don't remember what I ate!

Welcome Back!!!! Hope your trip with your kids was a blast. And Congratulations to your daughter, getting a job in todays market is no small feat. My brother lives in Austin and I love going to visit him. Hope your daughter loves it too.

Your Citricos steak looks awwww-some!!! We've only done it once and it wasn't anything particularly memorable. Sounds like from your last 2 trips they are on the upswing. And it looks like a trip just for dessert may be in the cards ; )

Your meal at Citricos looks fantastic! We were planning to eat there a few days before you last year, but ended up cancelling shortly before our trip. It is on my list of restaurants that I need to try some day.

That was really great that your daughter was able to get a job right after graduating. It's too bad she moved so far away. Our two daughters moved out of state, too, so I know that isn't easy. :(

Yes, I was really hoping for Chicago but sadly she didn't get any offers there. Three offers from places in Austin and also an offer for an unpaid internship in L.A. :scared: Needless to say, her mom and dad nixed that one. ;)

Well Austin is right down the road! Let me know if you make it my way to San Antonio. We can go have some good margaritas and mexican food!

Will do! :thumbsup2

Welcome back, Barb! I've always enjoyed Citrico's so I'm glad you had another good experience. My sister swears by their Green Apple sorbet but any dessert I've had there has been wonderful.

I could never understand why so many people here loved Citricos, but after my last two visits there I think I finally get it now. ;)

We went to Citricos when we were there, the night of the 20th. We had the most excellent server and the food was amazing. I got the Rock Shrimp appetizer, the Filet of Beef and the same dessert that you did. It was hands down one of my favorite desserts I'd ever had on Disney property. We will definitely be back!

Unfortunately I didn't get to return to Citricos on my last trip. :sad2: Let's see, on the night of the 20th we were at an Epcot restaurant (my kids' choice, not mine) but I really wish we had been at Citricos. :worried:

Congratulations to your daughter! Austin is a great town and has many tasty foodie offerings!

Thanks! I've only been to Austin twice, but from what I saw it did seem like a great town. :thumbsup2

That looks like a very good meal. I have never eaten at Citricos but that is definitely tempting now. Those desserts look amazing, I'd probably go just for that.

That sounds like a good plan. I'm not sure about Citricos' others desserts, but I believe they serve the chocolate dessert at the Mizner's Lounge too.

I'm reeeeaaallllly late to the party, but I just wanted to thank you for your Wanyama Safari review. We already had Jiko booked for our upcoming fall trip and were kind of bummed we couldn't find room in our plans for the Wild Africa Trek. And then, like a glowing beacon of light, of compromise, thanks to your trip report came the Wanyama Safari! Oh, and what's this I see? We're staying at AKL this trip as well!? SCORE! DF just couldn't come up with a reason not to book it! Thank you!

So glad to be of help! Thanks for letting me know. Still a whole day filled with food left before the fat lady sings on this one, so the party ain't over yet. :laughing: And then I'll be doing a report on my trip last month so please come join that party too. :goodvibes

I just changed our dining reservations for today/tomorrow and didn't realize it was after midnight. Since I already canceled one to change to another, can I call in the am to see about waiving the fee?

Oops, I'm too late to help you with this one. Hope it all worked out well for you.

Well I may need to go back there and try that filet, as the YM makes a good one. However this sounds fantastic. We ate there 5 years ago and it was very lovely. However I don't remember what I ate!

I never thought I would be recommending Citricos, but you know what they say...NEVER SAY NEVER! ;)

Welcome Back!!!! Hope your trip with your kids was a blast. And Congratulations to your daughter, getting a job in todays market is no small feat. My brother lives in Austin and I love going to visit him. Hope your daughter loves it too.

Your Citricos steak looks awwww-some!!! We've only done it once and it wasn't anything particularly memorable. Sounds like from your last 2 trips they are on the upswing. And it looks like a trip just for dessert may be in the cards ; )

Thanks Kari! My daughter has been in Austin for less than a week and already loves it. :goodvibes

Regarding Citricos, I can't say that my first two visits to Citricos were not memorable...they were quite memorable in a bad way. But my last two dinners there have gone a long way to repair the damage. That chocolate dessert was an especially good medicine for healing old wounds. ;)

Your meal at Citricos looks fantastic! We were planning to eat there a few days before you last year, but ended up cancelling shortly before our trip. It is on my list of restaurants that I need to try some day.

You know, had I not wanted to pay the $30 no show fee I probably would have bailed out on this one when I found out that day that I would be dining solo. So this is one instance where the fee benefited me. So anyway, I can now say without hesitation that you should give it a try! :thumbsup2

Monday, Nov. 3

For breakfast on my last day I decided to go across the lake to a restaurant that I had not been to in more than 10 years, the Beach Club's...

For those that have not been to Cape May, this is a buffet-style restaurant and at breakfast there are characters dressed in beach attire. I was able to take quite a few photos of the food which is offered here for breakfast so let's first take a look those, starting with some of the fruit...grapefruit, oranges, cantaloupe, grapes, and strawberries along with plain and strawberry yogurt.

Then some other options from the cold area of the buffet...hard boiled eggs, salami, assorted cheeses, smoked salmon, and pastrami-style salmon served with capers, onion, lemons, and tomatoes (not pictured).

Then the salads, such as this Spinach, Apple, and Walnut Salad...

And this Healthy Grain & Fruit Salad with quinoa, barley, dried fruits, and almonds tossed with citrus-ginger dressing...

Next we have the breads and assorted pastries, like sliced bread for toasting, mini-muffins, orange-cranberry bread, banana bread, bagels, croissants, cinnamon rolls, and chocolate danish...

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

- Continued in next post -

CAPE MAY CAFE BREAKFAST - Part II

Next from Cape May's breakfast buffet we have, "What's Hot". ;)

Like Quinoa with honey and Steel-cut oatmeal...

Along with the toppings of brown sugar, apples, raisins, and craisins...

Asparagus...

...along with Hollandaise sauce.

French toast and Mickey waffles...

Along with toppings of strawberries and whipped cream...

...and Bananas Foster sauce.

There was ham at the carving station...

Biscuits...

...and Creamy Cheddar Grits.

Nothing in my notes/photos as to what this is but it looks like maybe stewed tomatoes... :confused3

The standard breakfast meats of bacon and sausage links...

Two photos of the Mushroom, arugula, and white cheddar cheese frittata...

Then the Red-skinned Potatoes...

And last, Plain Scrambled Eggs...

...and also Chorizo and Four Cheese Scrambled Eggs.

And then my choices, starting with a bowl of fruit (strawberries, grapes, pineapple, and watermelon)...

My main plate...

Starting at the 12 o'clock position and moving clockwise: Mushroom Frittata, Chocolate Danish, Bacon, Potatoes, Asparagus (sans Hollandaise), and plain 'ole Scrambled Eggs.

And then French toast smothered in Bananas Foster sauce...

Everything that I had was good, but the two standouts were the frittata and the French toast. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Last but not least, some character love with Goofy and Donald...

And the star of this show, Miss Minnie Mouse...

Overall I would have to say that this was my least favorite character breakfast of this trip. Not that it was bad at all, but food-wise it was outshined by both Crystal Palace and Tusker House.

Next up: A Visit to Epcot's Chase VISA Lounge

Wow the selections do look great! We are staying at the BC next trip, at least we are for now :rotfl2:, so this may be an option if we want something right downstairs. We aren't staying CL this time, so again this could be something we try. However it is not as good as TH we may pass.

We absolutely love Cape May for breakfast! Glad to see they still have the quinoa and oatmeal! We had a great time last year but i'm hoping this year will be great as well since I now must eat gluten free. Nut free was difficult enough but no nuts & gluten is going to be tough! I'm hoping they'll still have plenty of options

That fritatta looks scrumptious. I would love to have some of that quinoa and honey, too!

I can't believe it's already your last day!! Noooooo!

Thanks for the Cape May Review. Strangely it may have been the first I've ever even seen. Looks like they have some pretty healthy choices too and love the characters outfits. Too bad it wasn't in the same league as CP or Tusker (my personal fav).

Sad its the last day, but hopefully we'll be eating all about your last trip soon.

We used to eat at Cape May for breakfast when we had kids with us, and a few times without them. Except for a few items like the carving station, the fritatta and the asparagus, etc, it looks like CMC has many of the same items that they serve at the less expensive Captain's Grill breakfast buffet. Tusker House remains number one for breakfast buffets for us. :thumbsup2

Looks like a great meal at Cape Cafe. We haven't eaten there but may do it next trip with my sisters along. Looks like it was a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter