Just returned from WDW (pretty sad!!!)

Disney is held to an extremely high standard because they established that standard long ago. That dedication captured generations of very loyal fans. It was once joked that if you dropped a candy wrapper at WDW a castmember would pick it up before it hit the ground. Those standards are long gone now. Disney had a unique combination of keeping the shareholders happy at the same time as maintaining standards that nobody else in any business could match. But that has changed now. The parks aren't losing money, they're just no making as much. For a couple of years, when the dollar was so low against the pound and the euro, Disney didn't need its loyal base as much, so quality at the parks was allowed to slip. 'Who's going to notice' and 'they're not coming back anyway' seemed to be the prevailing approach. But now the Europeans are no longer coming and Disney desperately needs anyone in the parks - hence the huge discounts. Disney has sacrificed its heritage and unique brand name on the altar of cost cutting and shareholder return. It's really sad because many of the once loyal base will not be going back again

This is an excellent point. In order for WDW to maintain its customers, it has to be different from every other place that families can visit.

It's not only the Europeans who are staying home. I know a lot of Canadians who have decided not to visit this year, or who have decided to go elsewhere (where our dollar will have more purchasing power) Also, the airfares have not decreased at all from last year (when oil was so $$$) and there are far fewer direct flights from Canadian cities. None of these issues is WDWs fault, but they do have to find ways to make guests willing to pay more to go there (as opposed to somewhere else)

I love the idea that somebody from WDW might be getting the things we post in these threads, so I'm going to start a couple myself in the hopes that the info will get passed on. :cool1:

PS. What is the Adventurers Club and why do people miss it so much?

PS. What is the Adventurers Club and why do people miss it so much?

For a quick description, check out the link in my signature - that site has a description of the shows and characters in the Club. But basically, it was an interactive comedy club set on New Years Eve, 1937. It was completely unique - there was nothing like it anywhere. It was a real Disney attraction, not a night club. It used all kinds of special effects and audio-animatronics, plus the best actors in the Orlando area. There was a storyline that they followed each night, but there was so much improv going on that no two nights were ever the same. It was a perfect place to spend the evening after the parks closed.

For a quick description, check out the link in my signature - that site has a description of the shows and characters in the Club. But basically, it was an interactive comedy club set on New Years Eve, 1937. It was completely unique - there was nothing like it anywhere. It was a real Disney attraction, not a night club. It used all kinds of special effects and audio-animatronics, plus the best actors in the Orlando area. There was a storyline that they followed each night, but there was so much improv going on that no two nights were ever the same. It was a perfect place to spend the evening after the parks closed.

Awww! Now I wished I had gone there too.

I'll join in the fight with you :cool1: :cool1:

WDW is crazy sometimes, I think -- they get rid of an established attraction and blow a whole bunch of money to advertise "What are you celebrating?" Honestly, everyone in the group that we were traveling with this year decided they would scream if they ever heard that phrase again. More annoying than profitable, I think.

I wish the crowds would take a break so I could have the whole place to myself:banana:
:banana:

Disney is held to an extremely high standard because they established that standard long ago. That dedication captured generations of very loyal fans. It was once joked that if you dropped a candy wrapper at WDW a castmember would pick it up before it hit the ground. Those standards are long gone now. Disney had a unique combination of keeping the shareholders happy at the same time as maintaining standards that nobody else in any business could match. But that has changed now. The parks aren't losing money, they're just no making as much. For a couple of years, when the dollar was so low against the pound and the euro, Disney didn't need its loyal base as much, so quality at the parks was allowed to slip. 'Who's going to notice' and 'they're not coming back anyway' seemed to be the prevailing approach. But now the Europeans are no longer coming and Disney desperately needs anyone in the parks - hence the huge discounts. Disney has sacrificed its heritage and unique brand name on the altar of cost cutting and shareholder return. It's really sad because many of the once loyal base will not be going back again

Amen!:surfweb:

We went to Disneyland last December and I noticed more trash on the grounds, and lots of wear and tear on some of the rides. There was no urgency to correct this. That is alarming. The top management doesn't get it. I started going to Disney World in the 90's and started to see a decline in the high standard of quality. It's sad to say but Disney is not the same. There is too many over paid suits running around not having a clue on what the true Disney magic is all about. It goes beyond the lack of quality control. It's the bad decisions to remove some of the classic rides and shows that was a huge part of the Disney experience. High quality standard is very important and if Disney wants more repeat customers then they better bring it back. It all starts at the top.

...Walt ran a successful business (yes a different time and place) based on quality first. It worked. (Note: PIXAR followed the same model more recently and it worked too). People flocked to and eventually revered the Disney business model that was virtually unattainable to other companies. Universities actually had classes studying the model! But after Walt died the company did something very unWalt like ... they started chasing the dollar rather than letting the dollars come to them. Remember Walt PROVED that quality will beat out quantity, especially in the long run. So why change? No guts, no courage, no foresight AND (and this is a big AND) a Board of Directors so unable to "get it" that they tie the Big Cheese's main salary incentive to SHOPRT TERM GROWTH!!!...

Walt would surely not be happy with anything this company stands for today.
pirate:

I

I agree with you but I'd have to say that is almost inevitable. When an icon and a true genius and man of vision passes on is it not surprising that there is no one to keep the vision? I'm not saying I like it or don't agree but afterall who could replace Walt?

I agree with you but I'd have to say that is almost inevitable. When an icon and a true genius and man of vision passes on is it not surprising that there is no one to keep the vision? I'm not saying I like it or don't agree but afterall who could replace Walt?

I could ... And I'm available. Know how I can apply?:woohoo:
pirate:

I'm not the Disney expert as so many here are :worship: , but since Walt died in 1966, over 40 years ago and before Disney World opened to the public, my admittedly novice opinion is that someone had some sort of vision or it would always have been "just another amusement park." And while I'm just as sentimental as the next person (just ask my kids) I also understand that some of the old favorites have to make way for new attractions or Disney will be left in the dust. Honestly, as much as I may appreciate the looks and memories of a classic car, I'm going to buy the newest, prettiest, most efficient car on the market. Sentiment is a good thing--to a point. But not when it diminishes the bottom line. And we all know that's what it boils down to. The Disney empire will provide us the experience they feel they can afford. And they've done a mighty fine job of it over the years. While we are experiencing some bumps in the road right now (ALL of us) I am confident that Disney will ultimately provide customers the experience they are looking for--or they won't make their porift.

I'm not the Disney expert as so many here are :worship: , but since Walt died in 1966, over 40 years ago and before Disney World opened to the public, my admittedly novice opinion is that someone had some sort of vision or it would always have been "just another amusement park." And while I'm just as sentimental as the next person (just ask my kids) I also understand that some of the old favorites have to make way for new attractions or Disney will be left in the dust. Honestly, as much as I may appreciate the looks and memories of a classic car, I'm going to buy the newest, prettiest, most efficient car on the market. Sentiment is a good thing--to a point. But not when it diminishes the bottom line. And we all know that's what it boils down to. The Disney empire will provide us the experience they feel they can afford. And they've done a mighty fine job of it over the years. While we are experiencing some bumps in the road right now (ALL of us) I am confident that Disney will ultimately provide customers the experience they are looking for--or they won't make their porift.

I'm not sure of your point.

I for one don't mind new things. Love the water parks, Soarin' has the Disney spirit. Expedition Everest, while a tad short of what it could have been, is just fine. Same for Test Track, ToT, RnR and many other post Walt attractions...But these attractions have one thing that The Stunt Show, Idol, Stitch's Crappola and most other recent attractions don't have ... Quality.

If you're waiting for what 'the Disney empire' gives us then look for more Idol and Stich's Crappola. Pathetic. Making money and quality DO NOT HAVE TO BE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE!

Iger's a slug.
pirate:

After reading with great interest (and for a long while) this entire thread I have to say I agree with jimmymac and others about the way WDW used to be. I have been going to WDW since 1972, first as a kid and then as a grown up with my own family. I remember little things like fresh paint being applied by a smiling Disney painter on Main St. in the middle of the day, when it didn't even look like what he was painting needed new paint. The CMs always made Disney seem like the best place to be-ever! Things are way different now. To those of you, like that completely clueless Bill3, who don't know any better, you have my pity. It was once an amazing place. I am very sad because I believe I have reached my threshold. I am blessed to be still able at the moment, financially, to go back and I find myself not wanting to. :sad1:

After reading with great interest (and for a long while) this entire thread I have to say I agree with jimmymac and others about the way WDW used to be. I have been going to WDW since 1972, first as a kid and then as a grown up with my own family. I remember little things like fresh paint being applied by a smiling Disney painter on Main St. in the middle of the day, when it didn't even look like what he was painting needed new paint. The CMs always made Disney seem like the best place to be-ever! Things are way different now. To those of you, like that completely clueless Bill3, who don't know any better, you have my pity. It was once an amazing place. I am very sad because I believe I have reached my threshold. I am blessed to be still able at the moment, financially, to go back and I find myself not wanting to. :sad1:

If you are an old-fashioned mouse-hearted person....why not do what DH and I will do this year? We are avoiding WDW alltogether and going to visit the place where it all began - Disneyland.

We have found our favorite Disney hotel - hands down. The Grand Californian is a wonderful choice, although many enjoy the Disneyhotel and Paradise Pier as well.

We have found DL charming and more of Walt's magic lives on there where WDW seems to be more about the $$$$$$ and how much of our $$$ Disney can grab.

WDW will come back....we have complete faith. Until then.....try walking the magic Walt built!

I agree with Mouse, you need to mix it up and I also recommend a trip to Disneyland in California. I'm up the road from you in WI and I really love going to Disneyland. However, I'd recommend staying off-site, just for the nostalgia of it and because it's soooo much cheaper. Our family loved the Howard Johnson (can you believe that?) that is within walking distance. Also, if you go, you need to spend 4-5 days down in San Diego. I totally recommend getting a Southern California Pass. http://www.citypass.com/city/socal.html

I agree with Mouse, you need to mix it up and I also recommend a trip to Disneyland in California. I'm up the road from you in WI and I really love going to Disneyland. However, I'd recommend staying off-site, just for the nostalgia of it and because it's soooo much cheaper. Our family loved the Howard Johnson (can you believe that?) that is within walking distance. Also, if you go, you need to spend 4-5 days down in San Diego. I totally recommend getting a Southern California Pass. http://www.citypass.com/city/socal.html

GREAT suggestions about offsite and California pass. If the economy is hurting Disney...it's hurting all the surrounding hotels as well. I bet you can find some KILLER deals!

Even if you have to stay farther than you would like to walk to the parks......there is a shuttle system that will take you there easily. Make sure you choose a hotel near a stop if it's too far to walk.

Don't give up on a good deal at a Disney hotel. We were there in September because, by chance, my DH checked castmember rates for the Grand Cali. Normally they are hard to find.....and not all that good. This time, however, the cost was too low to pass. We discovered why when we were there....mid-week they must have had one section of the hotel closed. There were absolutely no lights on in the rooms across from us in the Briza. That was BEFORE this economy got bad.

OMG --- when you get there.....RUN....OK,try to walk calmly to SPACE MOUNTAIN. It is sooooooo much better than WDW.

There is enough familiar to instantly fall in love (WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE TINK FLY.....BACK AND FORTH AROUND THE CASTLE)......but enough different to catch your interest.

There is a Disneyland area here (far less contentious than these threads) with much information.....and should be able to help you find hotel choices as well!!

There is special magic there.

Wow. You guys are really getting my hopes up:rolleyes: We have never been to California. DH wants to go too! San Diego is also on his list of must see places:thumbsup2 Maybe we should consider it:scratchin
Thanks everyone! :yay:
I love WDW. I really,really do. It just makes me sad to see changes that have taken away from how it used to be. I sincerely hope it does return to what made it magical.

Some things i have observed recently:
1. Ratio of CM's to guest is a bit lower, service ia a bit off
2. Busses and boats may be a little off but not enough to really impact the efficiency of the transportation system
3. Cleanliness of facilities is showing signs of the lower ration oc CM's to guests, certain areas are affected more. I think restrooms in DTD are the worst I have seen them
4. I have seen little change in food quality and selection, service might be slower
5. Stores seem a bit out of sorts, restocking and general tideyness of merchandise is lacking somewhat
6. Rides are generally operational and clean
7. Lines a somewhat longer since fewer CM's means less capacity added during peak times
In general I don't see the parks/hotels falling down or piles of trash pouring out of garbage cans and such. I have seen a significant change since early years (70's) to now but if I think about 4-5 years ago not so much.
I make 2-3 vacation trips musing the Disney hotels per year and typically visit a park 2-3 times a month (frquent business travel to Orlando and AP). I also stop by SeaWorld and Universal about half as much and believe they have had more serious impacts than WDW.
My personal opinion is that there will be a more significant impact to services and general upkeep as the summer months approach, bigger crowds and not a typical ramp up in CM's et al...
I suppose if it was your first visit and your expectations have been raised to such a high level thru advertising and possibly even the rose colored glasses some of the posters here have you might be a bit disapointed by the service level. I still find WDW as a bargain, a safe place for families, well maintained and rather fun.

We went last April while people weren't worrying as much yet. But...it wasn't that long ago. Anyway, it was our families first trip. We thought it was funny how the kids would try to throw a piece of popcorn (no, not handfuls, but actually just a piece here and there) to the birds and a CM would sometimes be faster then the birds at coming in and scooping it up with a broom and dustpan. LOL! I thought it was not only the Happies Place on Earth, but that it was also the Cleanest Place on Earth. :rotfl2:

I have to first agree with the OP on the bus system. In December, I went with my grandmother and we stayed at ASMu (never again). After a day at AK, I walked out to catch a bus - only to find that it extended to where the fork is (where the sign shows what buses are at what stops). It doesn't just automatically happen that everyone walks out at the same time - no busses had to have been coming a LONG time! Not to mention, this one stop was servicing all three All Star resorts!
The same happened at Hollywood Studios one evening when ASSp and ASMu were paired together at a stop. The line was incredibly long, and by the second or third ASMo bus (with no Music/Sports in sight), I hopped on that bus and walked back to Music (please don't flame, there wasn't anyone else in line - it wasn't as if I "stole" a seat from someone of that resort).

That's kind of an interesting question you pose. I think my personal threshold is a little higher than most because my first trip to a Disney park (Disneyland) was back in 1998, and I get to go every year or two- not every month/week/etc. I remember that there was a little peeling paint at DL, but that was really the only thing I noticed as being "sub-par". At the same time, I am sure that many people were frustrated at that point because the parks were not as pristine as they would have been under Walt (or at some other point in the past). Since that was my first experience, I think I tend to kind of overlook things that are not 100% perfect because I have never seen them at that level of perfection.

It's funny you mention peeling paint. On that same trip, I went to MVMCP with a few friends. We were just hanging out, waiting for the next Philharmagic show to begin and I turned around and noticed this:
l_45c8b887494a4e3286590ecac31649a7.jpg
They put blue tape over peeling blue paint!! My friend took a better picture, but I'd have to find it... it wasn't a small piece either, it was pretty long. I'd say mid-chest to the floor... I said to my fend, "Philharmagic isn't even that old and it's falling apart!" :laughing: Neither of us really nitpick, but it was just staring us in the face... heh...

Just returned from a day at DHS and here are my observations:

• The Muppets- in the theater on the left hand side facing the stage, the fireworks were stuck "on" during the entire duration of the show.
  • The Muppets- Waldorf's mouth no longer moves (or was it Stadler... always getting those two confused.:confused: )
  • The crowds were a little low for a Saturday, with wait times for RnR averaging 45 min- 1 hour (depending on the time of day while running only 3 trains) and ToT anywhere from 10 min - 30 min
  • TSM was broken down for most of the day- when it finally opened back up, it stopped 3 times, and was checked by maintenance each of those times within the 20 minutes we were in the handicap accesible line.
  • ABC Commisary was clean, including the condiment area, during the peak of lunch. Truthfully, I was shocked by this as I've never seen it clean.
  • The restroom facilities were clean :thumbsup2
  • Of my many visits to Prime Time Cafe, this one was by far the BEST experience with the greatest cms and best food experience I've had here. The only poor thing I noticed was on the menu itself- The used to have filet on the dinner menu...then it became NY Strip (September 2007)... then Sirloin (as recently as December 2008.) However, now it's referred to as "tender cut steak." My friend's mother had this and stated that it wasn't tender at all... in fact, she said it wasn't good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter