Just discovered a quirky state rule, tell me about yours (region or country)

Illinois is the only state requiring road tests for older driver's license renewals. I had to take a road test in 2021 for a 4 year renewal. I will have to take another next year, 2025. If still kicking (and driving), I'll have to take another 2 years later in 2027 and 2 years later, 2029, then every year after. Maybe I'll just use Uber. :drive:
I wish more states would. It took my grandmother hitting a school bus after getting lost and disoriented quite far away from where she lived for her to relinquish her keys and stop driving.

In terms of risk older drivers are the same as an unexperienced 16 yr old; it's why insurance rates are often a bell curve.

My state is similar to IL in terms of once you are a certain age (65 in my state) the time period for renewal is lowered to 4 year renewals as opposed to 6 year renewals but there's no actual driver's test for this so it doesn't really help much.

There are a variety of old laws in Florida, many of which are not and perhaps were never enforced, that relate to circus animals. Ringling was the most famous circus to have their winter home in Florida, but they were not the only ones. One of the strangest laws was that if you tie your elephant to a parking meter you have to pay the meter. No free elephant parking. If you did not pay the meter, your elephant could get a ticket.

I believe all states should have a road test for elder drivers for numerous reasons, I don't think the point should be why does only IL do it.

The study used the number of licensed drivers in IL compared to the rate of crashes. Comparing the number of licensed drivers doesn't mean all those licensed drivers are out on the road and per the words of the article older drivers aren't out driving as much so that large number of licensed drivers is almost meaningless at that point. I searched the 2021 study (10 months of a time period) and couldn't find that they compared the crashes (per their definition) with the ages of those drivers just compared it to the number of licensed drivers. You could have 100 licensed drivers aged 75 but only 50 of them actively driving and for examples sake let's say half of them get into a crash. That would mean a 50% crash rate. Or maybe 25 of them get into a crash which would be a 25% crash rate.

Crashes from IDOT is defined as "An occurrence that takes place on public roadways, involves a moving motor vehicle and produces death ,injury or damage in excess of $1,500 person’s property when all drivers in the crash are insured. If any driver does not have insurance, threshold is $500." I'm reading that to mean if it's considered private property it's not counted. A lot of shopping centers for example are considered private property. Now $1,500 isn't all that much these days in terms of damage but it's not capturing all crashes (although hard to do just a qualifying statement).

The study looked at 2021 when the Emergency Rule was in place. That Emergency Rule caused the renewal rates to increase in time period and increase the age at which a road test was required from age 75 to 79. It was strictly a pandemic-related thing from DMV backlogs to health risks for elders due to covid. Prior to this once you reached 75 it was a yearly renewal.

For your article you posted IMO it's misleading to me this next statement as if it precludes accidents from occurring: "Typically, elderly drivers drive during daytime, avoid risky weather and take short trips for necessities like groceries or medical appointments" which I understand is a point to make but that doesn't mean just by doing those things you individually as a person are less likely to be in an accident. Random example I think we've all seen drivers plowing into businesses because they mistook the gas for the brake and it's not all uncommon for that to be elder drivers in the daytime in good weather. Backing into someone is also a common accident. Elder drivers as a whole have an increased likelihood of declining safe driving. FWIW I think most states start restrictions (in general) at age 65 and up so I don't think the focus should solely be on basically 80 yr and up.

***I'm looking at it from a standpoint of a higher likelihood of decreased driving capabilities from spatial awareness, distance understanding, eye sight and more. FWIW in my state every time you renew your license no matter your age you have to have an eye test. If in person they do it there, if done online paperwork must be submitted reflecting your eye exam results from within a 12 month time period.

In any case totally far off the topic of quirky state laws so I'll leave it there :) Hopefully your next driver's test goes well:flower3:

• It's illegal to take a lion to the movies in the city of Baltimore. (Seems kind of discriminatory against lions).
I do want to know the circumstances where it became necessary to pass the lion law.

It probably happened after The Wizard of Oz came out. Only the lions were upset when they were chanting, "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"

Interesting. I saw that it's illegal to bring a French poodle to the opera in Chicago. No culture for animals, I guess.

:scratchin Probably a French poodle was yapping away while the fat lady was singing what was supposed to be her last aria. As the audience was getting ready to leave, she started singing it again. Only to have the poodle start yapping again. :headache: Not to be out-done, she sang it again. It turned into a looong opera! :oops:

It is illegal in Scotland to be drunk and in charge of a cow
In Scotland, it is illegal for a boy under the age of 10 to see a naked mannequin
It is illegal for someone to fire a cannon within 300 yards of someone's place of residence to deliberately annoy them.
In Section 12 of the Licencing Act, it is illegal to be drunk in a public house, something that might seem rather silly to most.

There are a variety of old laws in Florida, many of which are not and perhaps were never enforced, that relate to circus animals. Ringling was the most famous circus to have their winter home in Florida, but they were not the only ones. One of the strangest laws was that if you tie your elephant to a parking meter you have to pay the meter. No free elephant parking. If you did not pay the meter, your elephant could get a ticket.

You know, I did know that the circus wintered there, but now that I think about it, that explains a lot about how Florida can be! 🤣

My soon to be state of Massachusetts has A LOT OF LAWS ABOUT TREES when I say a lot I mean oodles.

It illegal to have drink specials in Boston so no Happy Hour.

Idling your car for more than I think it is 15 min is illegal, so warming up or I guess stopping to sort out GPS which explains all the Storrowing :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter