***January 2022 Thread*** - Kicking Off 2022 with WDW!

I too, am watching the weather like a hawk! I am from WI, so no matter what it will feel warm. But, those evening temps in the 50s tell me maybe I should pack more than one pair of pants!

What is everyone doing with Genie+? Buying it or no? I am undecided.

I bought it for my January trip, but I'm hesitant about the September one I have booked. I think January is going to be more crowded and I want to see how I like it and how it works first. My complaint right now is actually Touring Plans. They haven't adjusted their plans to work with buying Genie and it makes it hard to estimate your days. I understand the new system isn't as exact as Fastpass was. You don't know for sure what rides you will need it for or when you'll get your time and its limited stacking, but if I'm planning my HS day and I know I'm going to either do a LL or Genie+ for a ride there it would be nice to have a shorter time on it to not bloat the estimates for my whole day.

I'm also questioning crowds now. I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but in another thread about discounts that I was following someone said there's been a big increase in availability at resorts all of a sudden. Speculation is that as the 30 day window comes up for a lot of trips and final payments are due, people are cancelling their trips. I have a feeling that might be the case as opposed to they just hadn't made rooms available. If there really were that many rooms available for them to sell then there would have been some kind of general public discount offered.

Last edited:
I have. Its really kinda up in the air. I have a friend who lives in Orlando and she said January and February are the most unpredictable months. Basically it can be anywhere from 40s and 50s to 80s. Last time I was there in January it was COLD. 30s overnight and I think the highest it got was 60 one day. In the morning you will definitely feel it. There's no horrible daytime humidity, but it can feel damp in the morning and night. I would pack layers and options and even keep a backpack for in the park for changes during the day. I was comfortable in leggings, long sleeve t-shirts and a fleece last time, but everyone and their tolerance is different.

I have found AccuWeather montly predictions to be relatively accurate in the past where I live as far as temperatures are concerned. (I attached the monthly outlook below) Right now the days of my trip are saying mid to high 70s and lows in the 50s. I'm sure that could change at the drop of a hat and its still more than a month away, so I'll take it all with a grain of salt, but if it holds as we get closer then I'm planning on having some lighter clothes around... Maybe bring a sweatshirt or fleece for mornings and then change into a tee later in the day. Probably will stick with long pants, but I might bring a pair of capri pants if there's a really warm day.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orlando/32801/january-weather/328169?year=2022
I too, am watching the weather like a hawk! I am from WI, so no matter what it will feel warm. But, those evening temps in the 50s tell me maybe I should pack more than one pair of pants!

I figure 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of dry-on-the-fly pants for rainy weather. Also layers.
We will be there 8 days so not planning Genie+ MAY buy 1 or 2 Lighting lanes if needed.

I'm expecting record heat for my trip - would be just my luck! I was shoveling snow in 20 degree weather this morning in sweats and a long sleeve shirt (ditched the hat and gloves halfway through). My neighbor was in a t shirt. I'm hoping for 50s and 60s but just watch it be 85+ every day...

Either way I'll be in shorts, shades, and tshirts every day!

Forgot to say we are planning on using G+ in combination with DAS.

Last edited:
I figure 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of dry-on-the-fly pants for rainy weather. Also layers.
We will be there 8 days so not planning Genie+ MAY buy 1 or 2 Lighting lanes if needed.

We're coming from California so we're planning for cold weather but I guess we'll have to keep a close eye on the forecast before we head out. I have summer close available year round because it's hot a lot of the time.

Yep layers is the plan for me. We went two years ago around the same time and mostly wore jeans and leggings.

We are going for 10 days and Genie+ would be over $600 for the 4 of us if we booked all 10 days. Ah… no thank you. We decided to do it maybe 4 days and decide the days on the fly depending on what we want to hit up certain days. I’m dreading stand by, but plan to rope drop a lot anyway.

Getting the individual rides for Remy, Rise, and Railway.
Depending on the crowd MK gets the full G+.
However I am spending two days in Epcot so I have time to get a lot done.

Has anyone here been in January before? Wondering how cold it really gets a night/early mornings!
Went in January when I was 8 (1992) and we were from northern Indiana! I remember long sleeve t-shirts, we bought sweatshirts, and I think we wore jeans or shorts depending on the day. My girls' trip this January is a test run for possibly taking my family in Jan 2023. DD gets cold very easily, so I'm interested to see just how cold the nights feel - we'd be making use of the extended evening hours for Deluxe/DVC. I haven't even started packing for my January 2022 trip yet and that is so unusual! I just have no idea what clothes to set out LOL! Going to keep an eye on the forecast in the coming weeks to get an idea and then probably just pack everything from a bathing suit to hat/gloves/coat 🥵🥶🤣

Anyone who may have a late 2021 - Jan 3, 2022 trip planned, Early Theme Park Entry has been extended to 1 hour before park opening in each park. Enjoy!

Anyone who may have a late 2021 - Jan 3, 2022 trip planned, Early Theme Park Entry has been extended to 1 hour before park opening in each park. Enjoy!
Yes! We are so excited for that... and hours have changed as well. We know the change is probably due to the high crowds expected, but we are happy nonetheless.

I made an impulse purchase for length of stay the day it was released!! partly because I was afraid sales would be limited (hahaha) and partly because crowd levels will be somewhat unpredictable. I am going to go with it at this point as it has already been paid for and thus I'll take the chance that it will be worth it for a least 1-2 rides in most parks and more in MK. it is a splurge type of trip anyway for me as my kids (young adults) have not been in forever.

We will be purchasing G+ all days and plan on purchasing ILL$ for FoP and RotR.

As a Minnesotan, I totally feel the fact that anything feels warmer when you’re experiencing temps we are. The weather won’t be that accurate until probably a few days before. We dressed in layers in our last January trip. Wore a sweatshirt and shorts most days and it was perfect. Sometimes it got warm, but it was easy to take off layers throughout the day.

Going to drop Oga’s Cantina for 2 people on 1/21 at 10:00 am. Let me know if you want to coordinate the drop.

When we went two years ago, it was colder in Florida than it was in Michigan.

And, for the record, it was 34F in Michigan.

We're happy if it's in the 60s during the day, sometimes it's been as high as the low 70s.... and sometimes it's pretty sunny, which helps it feel warmer.

We're not buying Genie+ for the entire trip. Given how few "big" rides there are at Animal Kingdom, I don't see the point. And maybe ditto Epcot. But we'll buy them for a couple of days here and there and it also feels like by not buying Genie+, we're more likely to splurge on the big individual attractions that cost.

I can't believe Christmas is this week. My parents arrive the day after and fly out on the 30th. And then.... then it's basically January! I keep tweaking our dining reservations; I've added a few, removed one or two. We'll see what we end up with when we get there from what I've booked! We don't usually like to do a lot, but it's a decent way to slow us down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter