• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo house fourth floor flooded

I feel bad for everyone affected but especially the person responsible. It's never fun to be shamed on vacation.

I once clogged the toilet right after arriving at a hotel in Hawaii and had to call the janitor. That was embarrassing enough. At least I didn't have to have firefighters go into my room in front of other guests to fix my problem. :scared:

I just got back home and other than dryers in the 2nd floor hall, I never noticed thing. Mara was fine and I don't remember seeing anything on the 3rd floor.

My husband is a firefighter and once, someone hung a candle on the wall sprinkler ... And it blew.
I am in construction and someone would really have to hit that head hard to dislodge the wax cap or head itself.

40 minutes may seem like a long time, but the fire dept has to get there.. Determine that it isn't an actual fire before closing off the system.

Where I live a student flew a toy helicopter into a sprinkler head causing the school to flood. It apparently caused several thousand dollars worth of damage.

yep.. most commercial structures have a 30 - 90 gallon per minute set up

I was thinking hanger on a sprinkler head, too. Nothing people do in hotels surprises me anymore. We were in an extended stay resort in South Carolina on one of my husband's long term business trips several years ago (DS wasn't in school yet, so we made a vacation of it). In the middle of the night, the fire alarm went off. We could hear the fire trucks coming. Jumped out of bed and headed down the stairs. After we had been outside for a few minutes, a very kind and slightly irritated fireman told us it was safe to go back in.

The next morning, we asked the front desk staff what had happened (they all were very sweet and since we had been there for a while, we had struck up a friendship). Seems a guest had come back from the beach and was cold. So, he decided to take the sheets off the bed and heat them in the microwave so he could warm up. I thought she was joking. Nope. I was speechless. I guess to someone out there in the world, the most natural thing isn't to take a hot bath or turn off the AC when he is cold. It makes much more sense to put something flammable in the microwave.

Anyway, glad things worked out at AKL!

I was thinking hanger on a sprinkler head, too. Nothing people do in hotels surprises me anymore. We were in an extended stay resort in South Carolina on one of my husband's long term business trips several years ago (DS wasn't in school yet, so we made a vacation of it). In the middle of the night, the fire alarm went off. We could hear the fire trucks coming. Jumped out of bed and headed down the stairs. After we had been outside for a few minutes, a very kind and slightly irritated fireman told us it was safe to go back in.

The next morning, we asked the front desk staff what had happened (they all were very sweet and since we had been there for a while, we had struck up a friendship). Seems a guest had come back from the beach and was cold. So, he decided to take the sheets off the bed and heat them in the microwave so he could warm up. I thought she was joking. Nope. I was speechless. I guess to someone out there in the world, the most natural thing isn't to take a hot bath or turn off the AC when he is cold. It makes much more sense to put something flammable in the microwave.

Anyway, glad things worked out at AKL!

You know, that one takes the cake.

I work as a construction project manager for the government, and we are in the process of putting sprinklers in all of our remaining buildings that have not previously had them.

This is where people would make what I call - a people problem into a building problem. And we have to continually think of new and interesting ways to make sure people don't make mistakes like this.

Who would have thought, that instead of turning down the A/C unit, he did that. Ugh. That is what always bothers me, when someone gets blamed eventually for what is clearly a people problem.

:sad2:

absolutely incredible

when I worked in a hospital ER, people would come in and if they needed a warm blanket, we would stick it in the microwave (for about a minute) to give patients. I still use this trick today to warm a towel for my puppy...but I stand there and watch it (yes..I am the :firefight wife..but I totally stand there and watch it..sounds like that guy left it in there for a LONG time!

It looks like everything got cleaned up pretty quickly at AKL! That must have been some story to tell once you got home if you were the culprit :rotfl2:

Even 40 minutes is way too long for water to flow from the sprinkler. The fire alarm system should have gone off once the indicator/flapper moved in the system indicating water flowing in the pipe. It shouldn't take that long to close the valve on that portion of the system to shut off water flow.

And nothing smells worse than water from the sprinkler system.

I am a health inspector and the engineer at one of the hotels I inspect told me that sometimes people hang their shirts/hangers onto the sprinkler head causing it to go off and flood everything. There's a lot of rocket scientists out there!:thumbsup2

PS-rugs cannot be dried with fans, they must be replaced, due to mold issues after they are wet.

We had a construction crew knock the head off a sprinkler at work. Only the fire department can shut off the water. The flow from a broken head can flood a room in just a couple of minutes. Luckily the plumber on site for the construction was able to use PVC to reroute the water out of the building or the mess could have been worse. It took about twenty minutes to shut off the water from initial break to shut down by the Fire Department. So Forty minutes could be accurate in this incident - my guess is he hung something from it causing it to break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter