• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

It's the ME, ME I've been to all THREE thread!!

Robinrs

DIS Veteran
:bounce: All three resorts I mean!! :bounce:

Which is your favorite?

Which is your LEAST favorite?

Why??

It's your turn to compare the Universal Resorts because you've been to all THREE!!

Inquiring minds want to know.... :p

Favorite: HRH
2nd Favorite: PBH
3rd Favorite: RPR

Reasons: We like the atmosphere at HRH. It is very upbeat and lively. We like the room decor and the memorobilia (is that how you spell that :confused: ) . There is nice landscaping at HRH, lots of greenery. Also great location- so close to the parks.

PBH has beautiful and spacious rooms. The hotel is more formal than HRH. Probably the part we like least is that it is so dead after 8 pm. And the bay area, while beautiful, is very hot in the summer and pretty chilly in the winter with no trees around to shade and keep winds down. A wonderful second choice.

RPR was a very nice hotel. The rooms are a little smaller than the above resorts, and a little dark, but still very nice. A very nice third choice.

We look forward to our HRH visit in Sept, now that we have tried all 3.

I haven't been inside the rooms at HRH or PBH, but I've visited both and stayed at RPH...and here are my thoughts...

Favorite: RPH
2nd Fave: HRH
3rd Fave: PBH

RPH is VERY beautiful. Yes, rooms are a bit tiny...but they are the same size as Disney's All-Star Music resort, and this is the (usually) least pricy hotel of the 3, so I have no right to complain. The employees are VERY VERY friendly. It has a nice, large pool and friendly atmosphere (my dad was impersonating Arnold from T2 and fellow employees cracked up...in a nice way. I, myself, found him acting like an idiot, but at least they were nice enough to laugh. :p )

HRH. The is HUGE. Couches, chairs everywhere! Very pretty as well. I LOVE the pool area. I could hear music when sitting on a lounge chair...and even when I'm underwater! Yes, the pool has underwater music. Awesome!! It has a wonderful waterslide that a bunch of kids, including me, love. It holds up to 300lbs so any adults interested...slide in!

The PBH by first glance was "Whoa" It's HUGE. And to top it off...rarely can I ever say "What a pretty elevator"...but at PBH I could. Being the most expensive and probsbly the most romantic hotel, I'd have to say this is my 3rd favorite. It's TOO big. It is like the size of a town! I nearly got lost there, which is not found. I found it difficult to navigate around the property. The main pool, with beautiful stone decor and two slides is nice, but it closed early (about 8PM) and I didn't get to jump in. I guess it's their lap pool that stays open until 11PM. Whoop-pee...not.

Most Favorite (~4 stays): HRH
Second Most Favorite (~5 stays): PBH
Third Most Favorite (~3 stays): RPR

I've said this many times, but the location of the HRH just can not be beat, there's nothing like the five minute walk to USF and City Walk and the convenience of being able to park your car five minutes from USF and City Walk too ... I love it.

If you take out location, the PBH is my favorite, the rooms are absolutely gorgeous and are not at all "cramped" like the RPR and HRH rooms can be ... The Beach Pool is not as big as the HRH's (because they have three pools), but it's nicer ... the hours can be a bit too short too as mentioned.

The RPR is a fine hotel too, and really can not be beat for the price ... but neither can the HRH or PBH when you get them for a good rate.

Personally, I always shop on price. I usually do not plan my trips very far in advance, so whatever hotel I can get for what I perceive as the best "value", that's where I stay ... that's actually why I stayed at the PBH the past few times, because it was actually less expensive than what was available at the HRH.

Update (11/02/06): Overall my rankings are still the same, but I've found it's become near impossible to stay at the HRH for a decent price so my latest stays have been at the PBH. The RPR is okay, but the pool area just doesn't do it for me and the rooms are just a little too cozy for my tastes.

Believe it or not, I've stayed at all 3. My favorite is PBH, but HRH and RPR are nice. HRH is good because it is the closest to the park.

My favorite resort is the one that gives me the best deal. :)

It took me long enough but I finally achieved this this weekend.

Here's my synopsis:

Purely based on the hotels themselves:

My Fave: Royal Pacific.

This is my HOME now. I spent so much time in my room there and the staff treated me so wonderfully I will always love this this resort. It's an emotional attachment, I think! The rooms are small but very cozy and comfortable.

My second Fave: Portofino Bay.

The beauty of this hotel speaks for itself. It's a luxurious, incredible hotel, but it's more for romance than a mother travelling with her kid! The bathroom in the deluxe is HUGE and beautiful.

My third: The Hard Rock

This hotel matches me more than the others, but since I work in radio it's not as much of a vacation for me! I like the cooool, though, it's very me.

Hard Rock -- Hands down the best location. The walk to the parks is so short and comfortable. If you're going for the parks and the UE especially, this is the hotel to choose.

Royal Pacific -- The only hotel close to IOA. You at least have a choice of the walk and the water taxi. The walk is longer than the Hard Rock's but it does end up at IOA!

Portofino -- Unless you're in the West Wing the walk to the boat dock is about as long as the walk from the Hard Rock to USO. I spent more time waiting for the boat than I'd prefer. I was told that there are no deluxe poolview rooms in the West Wing so the next time I'll go standard!!

All three of the hotels are top of the line class acts. The whole umbrella of Loew's follows them and unites them. Preference, price and the amount of time you spend at them can be the deciding factor.

With my Easter trip, I also have gone three for three, and what amazes me is how happy I'd be to stay at any of them. They're all fantastic.

If pressed to choose, I'm with Robin and have to say that I enjoyed the Royal Pacific the best. I found the ambience very romantic and the kids loved the pool. I think perhaps the introductory $139 Fan Club rate that we got for club level may have colored my perceptions. The staff at the Club level were so friendly and helpful. We were so spoiled.

In April, we had a deluxe pool view at the Portofino Bay and the kids enjoyed exploring this resort. We got such great pictures around the resort and spent a lot of time at the villa pool. The beach pool has the slide, but it was easier to keep track of the kids in the villa pool. When we stayed 'til closing at the parks, there was definitely a line for the boat back to the resort and it was too far to walk at the end of a long day.

Our first experience onsite was the Hard Rock Hotel and nothing can beat its location. I'm sure that as my DSs get older, they'll push for the Hard Rock because its hip and happenin'.

I love staying onsite with access to City Walk. I can't wait to go back. I've got a tentative trip booked for fourth of July at the Hard Rock, but I'm still waiting to find out if my DH is going to have any vacation time.

1. PBH. The beds are the most comfortable. The rooms are bigger. I love the pool. Mama Della's is great.

2. RPR. I love the South Pacific theme. The landscaping is beautiful. Closest to IOA. Price is cheaper. I enjoyed watching the Torch Lighting Ceremony. Breakfast was great. Pool is very nice, too bad they didn't put in a slide.

3. HRH. Closest to Universal Studios. Pool is great, but very crowded. I didn't think the breakfast was as good as the RPR.

I think all three are wonderful hotels. I prefer the PBH, but I would stay at any of them again. They are beautiful hotels.

In my humble opinion.....
Drumroll please.....

1-----Tie between RPR and HRH
2-----PBH

I love all three, but I love the "coolness" of the HRH, I mean could it be any cooler.

I love the pool area of the RPR it is so pretty.

The PBH is beautiful but too stuffy for us.

Who knows if I had been to the PBH first it my have been my fav.

I just cant wait to get back!!!

Ask away! - Quick update...

RP - Can't beat the service or path to IOA.

PB - Rooms are huge and restaurants are great!

HR - My kids miss that slide!

1. HRH (2 visits) & PBH ( 1 visit)
2. RPH (1 visit)

My DH and I both believe PBH to be #1 but we're a democratic family so the boys opinions count and they give the #1 spot to the HRH.

PBH is just gorgeous! The beds are so incredibly comfortable. We love the bay area in the late evenings; Order a brick oven pizza and a bottle of wine..... I could sit there for hours.

HRH is just cool. Fabulous location as someone mentioned above. Take the short cut by the pool bar and your at USF in under 2.5 minutes (This is teenager speed). For those of us with less energy its barely 5 minutes and thats stopping to admire the flowering trees.

RPR okay this may not go over well but its our opinion. The hotel is beautiful on the exterior a bit sparse on the interior. The rooms are to small. Club level staff is TOP of the line!! We had serious issues with housekeeping during our stay. " Like them letting someone into one of our rooms because the person said it was their room." Forunately my SIL was in the room at the time. Management response........ oh OOPS!

Now our stay at the PBH was before the dismantling of the Butler club, we also have used HRH club and as mentioned above RPH club level. Where we felt RPH did exceed the others was in this area. They have a fabulous staff which makes or breaks this service in my opinion.

My favorite is RPR mainly because I think it's just as beautiful as PB but much less expensive. I was spoiled by PB because I first stayed there with all the kids and DH (before the baby was born) while they were just building HRH. We got upgraded to the concierge level and lots of comps and just loved it!!

Our next visit, DH and I alone stayed at HRH and it was ok, but I wasn't impressed, too many children screaming and running (and this was in December!) and the decor just seemed a little cheap to me.

I stayed at RPR this past summer with ALL my kids and my mom and really liked the decor and the room size. The only thing I missed was a slide at the pool, but the kids didn't seem to mind a bit.

From now on, we'll stay at RPR.

Our family has stayed at all three resorts, too. I'd rank them:

#1 - HRH (3 visits)
#2 - PBH (1 visit)
#3 - RPR (1 visit)

1. We LOVE the Hard Rock! I've always been a rock and roll girl and this resort is my idea of heaven. It is just so cool, which is not your normal adjective for any hotel. The location cannot be topped, just a short stroll to USF. (Much shorter than the walk to IOA from RPR). The pool is my favorite. Those underwater speakers are great; it's so relaxing just to float in the water and listen to the tunes. Great slide. Love the dive-in movies and dive-in concerts. My kids loved Lil' Rocks (child care center). My only negative on HRH is the choice of restaurants. Wish they had at least one other option.

2. Portofino Bay is beautiful. The most comfortable hotel beds we have ever slept on. The bathroom was bigger than my youngest son's bedroom at home! Very nice pools. Good slide at the beach pool. Absolutely the best selection for restaurants and shops. I love having Sal's Pizza there. A nice quick, cheaper food option. The Italian soundtrack just doesn't do it for me, though; I much prefer the rock and roll at HRH!

3. OK, we happened to have a not so good experience at RPR. We stayed there about 4 weeks after they opened and they still needed to work out some of the kinks. Specifically, we got tired of being awakened in the middle of the night by fire alarms! There were housekeeping issues also. All that being said, I would stay there again for a good rate. The rooms were nice with several special touches. The theming is beautiful.

That's the beauty of the Universal hotels: You can't go wrong with any of them!

Finally made it to all 3!!

It's a really tough call to put them in order - they all have wonderful benefits!

1. RPH
2. PBH
3. HRH

1. Just loved the theming at Royal Pacific - very 'vacationish' and the most wonderful friendly staff!

2. Very quiet and refined hotel, which appeals to me. A little bit spread out for my taste (we had a bit of a trek to get to our room).

3. As I prefer quieter hotels the Portofino just pipped the Hard Rock into second place. I love the short walk to Universal Studios from HRH.

Well,

As DW has posted above we’ve finally made it to the club and I tend to agree with her comments.

Difficult to place in order as they are all great “upscale” hotels with a different atmosphere to all of them.

1. RPH – I loved this place as much as I love the Poly - The theming is first class, the staff were superb and kids enjoyed the sandy beach and pool area. We had a view of Hulk and Dr Doom from our bedroom which was a view I never tired of.

2. PBH – Very relaxing European feel and had an air of exclusivity about the place. Very quiet and at times I could swear there was tumbleweed blowing through! – LOL

Our room was MASSIVE! – The biggest hotel room I’ve ever stayed in – I guess we must have “lucked out” and had an upgrade (off to check room number).

3. HRH – A different animal altogether. This should have ranked as my “Spiritual home” due to the theming but it was quite busy and bustling. The plus side was the short walk to US avoiding the boat.

We just came back from 4 days at PBH. We stayed at the Club level and loved every minute of it. The staff was great, the room was clean, the beds turndown every evening. They accomodated our requests every time.
The only down side for me was that (depending on where your room is located) the seemingly endless walk to your room....especially after a full day at the parks.... The hotel is huge...
But it is upscale and the grounds are beautiful... I am already planning to go back in August and would not stay anywhere else.

Most Luxurious: PBH Hands down
Most Cool: HRH
Most economical: RPH

All three are among the best hotels in Orlando, and you can't go wrong with any.

Essentially, after multiple stays at all three, we approach it this way:

1.) Adults-only trip: PBH
2.) Family Trip (with three teens) : HRH
3.) Trip "on the cheap" RPH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter