Is there anyway to get more than a 5 day park ticket?

RipClutchgoneski

Earning My Ears
We'll be in California for a trip to DL and the a convention next spring. Is there any place to buy more than a 5 day park ticket? We'll be staying at a DLR hotel for 9 days. I'd like to go to the parks more than 5 days. Thanks!

Basically, the only way to add days to a 5 day ticket is to add on single day tickets or buy an AP. It is worth doing the math to determine which is the most cost effective for you. An AP can include parking and discounts (merchandise, food, and hotel, for example) which may make it more cost effective in the long run than adding on single tickets.

Saw a video on youtube of a guy who had a 5 day ticket, then on the last day of his ticket he went to the ticket booth and they sold him an extra day for only $15 bucks. It's worth a shot.

Saw a video on youtube of a guy who had a 5 day ticket, then on the last day of his ticket he went to the ticket booth and they sold him an extra day for only $15 bucks. It's worth a shot.

When was the video shot? This was happening with some regularity but there have been zero reports of this happening lately due to the cast members basically being unable to even do this now. There has been a change in their computer system.

Agree with the pp. The computer system has changed so that even a lead cannot add a day to a 5 day ticket. You can add days up to a 5 day (e.g. adding 2 days to a 3 day ticket), but not beyond 5. Disney wants you to buy additional tickets or an AP.

It's really sad to me that Disney treats those who want to stay at their resort longer than 5 days, to very pricey tickets (looking at a higher per day cost if you go longer than 5 days.) To me they are saying 'get out' after 5 days.... 'We don't need your money.' Unless a person can make a trip back within a year, (to maybe go 14 days total) an annual pass with blockout dates does not work, it is still too much per day compared to a 5 day pass if you can only go 7 days. An annual pass without blockout dates can only work if you live nearby. Initially Disney claimed they couldn't offer more than a 5 day Park Hopper due to fraudulent ticket use, but with the picture taking at the entry gates, signing the back of the ticket, they virtually eliminated that risk. I still get disgusted that they never did come back to offer 7 or 8 day park hoppers at a reasonable per day cost to their guests. We were there for 7 days, IN the parks this month, and STILL couldn't do everything we wanted to do. EASILY, Disney Parks, a 7-8 day Park Hopper would work. I hope you listen to your fans, Disney Parks, it would mean a lot to us!!!

To see more about how others and myself feel, here is a thread I started over 2 years ago - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2980067

When was the video shot? This was happening with some regularity but there have been zero reports of this happening lately due to the cast members basically being unable to even do this now. There has been a change in their computer system.

Can't say for sure. I'd guess 2013. I don't remember which specific video it was, but the guy who posted it is named Blake McCorquodale. Just type his name into youtube and look at the vids he posted on his channel. In one of them, he was on his 5th day at Disneyland and bought a 6th day for $15.

It really pisses me off that they used to offer 8 Day tickets but cut them down to 5. Makes no sense whatsoever. The parks grew in size and they shrunk the number of days on the ticket options. :mad:

Us Aussies can get a 10 day pass that isn't too much more then the 5 day, it used to be 14 days! I don't think you could get one though as you have to show id when you pick up the tickets.

Us Aussies can get a 10 day pass that isn't too much more then the 5 day, it used to be 14 days! I don't think you could get one though as you have to show id when you pick up the tickets.

Why the heck don't they just offer those number of days to everyone? Make it so whoever wants it can have it. :badpc:

For 9 days, why not just buy a 4 day pass and a 5 day pass? Or an AP if you're planning to come back within a year.

Typically, that's what we do. We plan 2-3 trips within a 1 year time frame, making the AP most cost effective. We live in Seattle.

It's really sad to me that Disney treats those who want to stay at their resort longer than 5 days, to very pricey tickets (looking at a higher per day cost if you go longer than 5 days.) To me they are saying 'get out' after 5 days.... 'We don't need your money.' Unless a person can make a trip back within a year, (to maybe go 14 days total) an annual pass with blockout dates does not work, it is still too much per day compared to a 5 day pass if you can only go 7 days. An annual pass without blockout dates can only work if you live nearby. Initially Disney claimed they couldn't offer more than a 5 day Park Hopper due to fraudulent ticket use, but with the picture taking at the entry gates, signing the back of the ticket, they virtually eliminated that risk. I still get disgusted that they never did come back to offer 7 or 8 day park hoppers at a reasonable per day cost to their guests. We were there for 7 days, IN the parks this month, and STILL couldn't do everything we wanted to do. EASILY, Disney Parks, a 7-8 day Park Hopper would work. I hope you listen to your fans, Disney Parks, it would mean a lot to us!!!

To see more about how others and myself feel, here is a thread I started over 2 years ago - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2980067

I actually think TDA is being very clear about its intentions here regarding length of stay for domestic visitors (given that some international visitors do have access to longer tickets). TDA is trying to mitigate the capital costs and visitor crowding associated with the new DCA by strategically managing the pricing and availability of admission media:

• First, the changes to DCA were very costly, and in order to recoup those costs, TDA has decided to stop subsidizing (i.e. discounting) visits longer than five days. Every multi-day ticket has a discount built into it, and that discount grows with every additional day added. Disney decided to recoup that money, instead, by forcing people who really want to spend more than five days at DLR to consider purchasing an AP, or at least a new full-day or multi-day ticket--all costlier options. I imagine TDA is well aware some people are unhappy to have to pay more. But I'm sure the thinking here is that if you really want to be there, you'll pay more for it.
  • Second, multi-day tickets also keep people in the parks longer at a time when, thanks to the popularity of the revamped DCA, DLR has an intense crowding problem. Capping multi-days tickets at five days helps cap crowds as well, since only very motivated visitors will choose the more expensive options listed above to remain after five days. And although those longer-staying visitors will add to crowding in the parks, they'll be paying more than before for the privilege. This is the same reason TDA eliminated (or at least put on hold) the lower-end Southern California AP.

Unless a person can make a trip back within a year, (to maybe go 14 days total) an annual pass with blockout dates does not work

By my math you need to go 12 days on an annual pass with NO blackout dates to end up with a price per day less than a 5 day pass with parkhopper (I include parkhopper because APs are parkhoppers so apples to apples comparison). It's 9 days for an AP with blackout dates.

5 day parkhopper adult ticket = 305 or $61 per day. 61x12= 732 61x9= 549
Premium AP = 699.
Deluxe AP = 519.

The days needed to = a paid for AP actually go down for someone like me as I can't usually go for 5 days in a row. I'd otherwise be getting 3 day parkhoppers generally, which carry less of a discount.

This doesn't take into account free parking with Premium AP, or discounts, of course. If you like to stay onsite the hotel discounts can be significant.

All this to say, once you break it all down I was pretty surprised at how quickly an AP was "paid for." I live in Seattle and I have a Premium AP for the first time this year. It expires in Feb and I'll be ahead following my trip this week (significantly ahead if you count my DLH discount earlier this year). And I'm planning to go again pre-expiration for a couple of days. You almost certainly have to take more than one trip to DLR for an AP to pay off, but for those like me who make several small trips to DLR per year, you can come out significantly ahead in the long run.

Not saying they shouldn't have longer discounted parkhoppers. Maybe they should. But wanted to put the AP part in perspective.

There is absolutely no way to do it. I checked with numerous Guest Services CMs, front desk CMs, ticket counter CMs, and even VIP services and my VIP guide in August with no luck.

Anyone who is unhappy about it should contact Guest Services. Maybe it won't do any good, but who knows, if they get enough complaints it might help. I let them know that I went to Knotts Berry Farm instead on those days as well.

By my math you need to go 12 days on an annual pass with NO blackout dates to end up with a price per day less than a 5 day pass with parkhopper (I include parkhopper because APs are parkhoppers so apples to apples comparison). It's 9 days for an AP with blackout dates. 5 day parkhopper adult ticket = 305 or $61 per day. 61x12= 732 61x9= 549 Premiere AP = 699. Deluxe AP = 519. The days needed to = a paid for AP actually go down for someone like me as I can't usually go for 5 days in a row. I'd otherwise be getting 3 day parkhoppers generally, which carry less of a discount. This doesn't take into account free parking with Premiere AP, or discounts, of course. If you like to stay onsite the hotel discounts can be significant. All this to say, once you break it all down I was pretty surprised at how quickly an AP was "paid for." I live in Seattle and I have a Premiere AP for the first time this year. It expires in Feb and I'll be ahead following my trip this week (significantly ahead if you count my DLH discount earlier this year). And I'm planning to go again pre-expiration for a couple of days. You almost certainly have to take more than one trip to DLR for an AP to pay off, but for those like me who make several small trips to DLR per year, you can come out significantly ahead in the long run. Not saying they shouldn't have longer discounted parkhoppers. Maybe they should. But wanted to put the AP part in perspective.

At $699, I'm assuming you have the "Premium" AP, rather than the more expensive "Premiere" AP that covers DLR and WDW.

I went to DLR for 4 days in mid-July, and spent $265 for my hopper through Orbitz. At the time I was living in the Bay Area. I came back in August for 3 days, while looking for places to live in the area. I was able to apply the full (regular) price from the July hopper ($289) towards a Premium AP, and still get the payment plan, at only $34 per month. I also visited again over Labor Day weekend, and the value of the AP was exceeded.

Now that I've 15 minutes away, I have the ability to visit DLR anytime I want. I was there this past Friday. DCA during the first half of the day was a breeze. But when I returned to DL at night, the park was packed. It was more crowded than any of the days I was here over the summer. The crowds, combined with lower staffing levels, and fewer ride vehicles made wait times longer than I've experienced in ages. There were tons of locals at the park, with AP's. Looks like the AP program is working well for Disney.

At $699, I'm assuming you have the "Premium" AP, rather than the more expensive "Premiere" AP that covers DLR and WDW.

I went to DLR for 4 days in mid-July, and spent $265 for my hopper through Orbitz. At the time I was living in the Bay Area. I came back in August for 3 days, while looking for places to live in the area. I was able to apply the full (regular) price from the July hopper ($289) towards a Premium AP, and still get the payment plan, at only $34 per month. I also visited again over Labor Day weekend, and the value of the AP was exceeded.

Now that I've 15 minutes away, I have the ability to visit DLR anytime I want. I was there this past Friday. DCA during the first half of the day was a breeze. But when I returned to DL at night, the park was packed. It was more crowded than any of the days I was here over the summer. The crowds, combined with lower staffing levels, and fewer ride vehicles made wait times longer than I've experienced in ages. There were tons of locals at the park, with AP's. Looks like the AP program is working well for Disney.

So you can use a recent ticket and apply it towards an AP? I have one from August. Heading back Saturday. Do you need the ticket or the receipt or both?

So you can use a recent ticket and apply it towards an AP? I have one from August. Heading back Saturday. Do you need the ticket or the receipt or both?

You have to upgrade before the end of your last day on that ticket. So a recent ticket will not work.

For 9 days, why not just buy a 4 day pass and a 5 day pass? Or an AP if you're planning to come back within a year.

Typically, that's what we do. We plan 2-3 trips within a 1 year time frame, making the AP most cost effective. We live in Seattle.

A 4 day hopper, and a 5 day hopper cost more than a deluxe AP. My daughter and I are going for 9 days in January, and I'm planning on getting an AP because i want to come back next summer, but she is not planning on coming back. But I will still get her an AP because it's cheaper.

My experience was an exception made by a ticket booth supervisor.

You have to upgrade before the end of your last day on that ticket. So a recent ticket will not work.

This is the policy. But they do make exceptions, like they did in my case. I believe the original ticket stays in their system for 30 days. If they grant an exception, the AP will expire on the anniversary of the first day the original ticket was used.

They also may, or may not require the balance for the AP be paid in full when doing this type of upgrade.

We live in Seattle and just buy a deluxe annual pass. We will use it at least twice and go for 5 to 6 days each time we come. Between the food discounts and $10 off per night at the Candy Cane Inn it saves money over buying 5 day park hoppers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter