Is six-month old too young for DW?

wtrflea

Earning My Ears
Do you think taking a six month old to DW is too much trouble? My best friend is coming to visit and since I am 2 hrs. away, I thought it would be nice to take her for a couple days. It would be over labor day. I have DD-13 and DS-9. I have no idea what it entails to take a child this age.I will take any advice suggestions, etc. from room recommendations, restaurants, or even if someone thinks this is a bad idea at this age. Also, I have season passes if that comes into play. Help!!!

I think many people take their young babies to the parks. I know I've read about special baby stations in the parks for feeding/nursing/changes. Since you live close and your children are older I'm guessing you are very familar with the parks so if you don't get to ride every single thing it won't be a huge letdown. Probably you'll need to slow down and take many more breaks (especially if the weather is very hot). But with yourself and older children to help out it could be a fun trip. I'm going with my 19 mo old next week!

We took my youngest DS with us last year. He was 9 months old at the time. We went in the spring and the weather was unusually warm even for Florida. We found it really wasn't that bad. A couple of suggestions:

* take breaks in the afternoon for naps
* locate the baby centers at each park. The one at MK is really nice and they have everything stocked from diapers to formula.
* take your own stroller. The strollers you rent are too big and uncomfortable for a child of that size. We took one that we had bought at Babies R Us. It worked out nice since it reclined and allowed my DS to sleep while my DH and my older DS were on the rides.
* take snacks. I had Cheerios and other things for my DS to eat. A child that size would probably be more into baby food but it is good for them to take a break every once in awhile and feed them.
* enjoy yourselves! My DS loved it and I have great pictures of him playing peek-a-boo with Piglet and Tigger at Crystal Palace.

I took a 3 month old about 6 years ago as well as her siblings 3,4,5....I loved it. We did afternoon naps...because my younger kids were so young..all of us too naps....but I would imagine a 6month old would nap in the stroller...

We took our older DS when he was 6 mos old and younger DS when he was 7 mos old. These are great ages to take babies because they are still so portable. For the most part, they don't want to be on the ground to crawl around, they sleep through the night (at least mine did), and they aren't so fragile and new anymore. We found that if we just let the baby dictate what we did, for example, how late we stayed in the parks, how much we were able to stay out in the sun, when we needed to stop for an air conditioning break, bottle break, diaper change, we were just fine. Acquaint yourself with the baby changing areas in the parks, and you'll be just fine.

Ann:earsgirl:

Our trip when our baby was 6 months old was much easier than our recent trip with said baby at 3 years old. At 6 months, he just slept in the stroller and was content looking at everything. We had a front carrier for him, too. You can really take him on anything that isn't scary or has a height requirement. We even did Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean. You also will be able to do Baby Swap in line and get a Child Watcher pass in Fast Pass lines. That lets the person watching the baby sit somewhere comfortable with the baby while others ride and at least one person gets to use their fast pass twice. The Child Watcher pass does say that it's for a maximum of 3 people.

During Labor Day, the Swan/Dolphin are having a $99/night room special. That's such a great deal, and the location by Epcot and MGM is perfect. If I lived closer and had an AP, I would be there for sure. I would call soon because the rooms on Labor Day are going quick. The $99 special goes from Aug. 28-Sept. 9th. If you can go AFTER Labor Day that would be better as far as crowds go. There's thread at the top of this board with info about the special.

Definitely bring a stroller for the baby and avoid MK on Saturday. Try to get to the parks when they open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter