• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it worth handing out an empty tip envelope?

Since it doesn't actually do anything, it seems pointless.
Not really pointless. There are reports posted here of the name on the slip being incorrect. If you hand them their slip, they have the information necessary to correct the gratuities being paid to the wrong person.

We always give a little extra cash to our Stateroom Host and MDR servers. I have never had a reason not to. I think they probably like getting the cash. I try to give my envelope at the last dinner. Or leave it In the room on the last day for stateroom host.

I also, usually write a small note of thanks. Plus, we like to thank them personally for their great service.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with tipping and to that all is good.

That is what I got in July. It was tan, but the same thing.
We always prepay gratuities, and we have always gotten the green slips which I keep for future reference to prior servers names. One trip, however, another of the head servers (not the one managing our table) was so helpful managing my DW’s allergy at a succession of MDR breakfasts and lunches that we went to guest services to add an extra gratuity for this head server. I wasn’t certain we’d see him prior to debarkation, since he worked a different MDR rotation but I knew that if we added the gratuity to our account it would get credited even if we didn’t meet up again. GS printed out a receipt on tan card stock for this gratuity, and although we never got to deliver it, we were happy to know he would get a little additional recognition. We also noted his name on the comment card. Since then, we request him when he’s assigned to the ship we’re sailing. He moved from the Magic to the Fantasy about two years ago.

We used to always add cash to the tip envelopes. But we've had some servers and hosts who were so exceptional that I was running short on cash. So now on one of our last days I go to GS at a quiet time and adjust the tips accordingly. As noted above, the cards printed are a different color. I turn in the original tip sheet to GS and receive brand new ones.

I asked a server if cash or the adjusted tip slip was preferred. He said it didn't matter at all. This way I don't run out of cash and even get some affinity points. :)

Not really pointless. There are reports posted here of the name on the slip being incorrect. If you hand them their slip, they have the information necessary to correct the gratuities being paid to the wrong person.

I agree they're not pointless and definitely worth looking at closely. On our last cruise, my friend and I were travelling together and only billed 1 set of tips to me and nothing to her. When we were putting the slips into the envelopes I realized both slips were in my name.

We had to go down to guest services to make sure that we didn't accidentally short our CMs! I don't know what actually had happened, but guest services had to wipe out my tips and then reissue tips for both of us! If we hadn't checked the staff wouldn't have gotten what they deserved.

We didn't hand out the envelope because we didn't add to the tips and I felt like it kind of implies there's money in there when you hand it to them.

I find it awkward. I don’t. :confused3
Same here. I am now questioning my memory, I gave my host an extra tip, I am not sure if I did it in an envelope. I definitely didn't get this paper.

I didn't tip my servers anything extra, but my table mates did. Also wondering here if they gave cash in hand or an envelope...

Since DCL decided to cut back on printing nightly Navigators, I'm doing my part and not using the antiquated envelope system. I stop by guest services the night before and verify my server/host information and increase any tips as deserved. On our final visits, I find a hearty handshake and "Thank You" to be quite enough. I'm quite ready to let wasteful traditions like the envelopes (and cash, for that matter) die. Just my take..but You do You.

We don't hand them out. We also almost never give additional gratuity (we've never had service that exceeded our expectations) - I guess if we were the type to give additional cash, we would put it in the envelope and hand it out. But, we've only increased the gratuity a few times, and that was more because our service was so much better than it had been on a previous (Disney) cruise, than because service actually exceeded expectations.

There's no "right or wrong" with anyone's approach, it's all about what you're comfortable with and what you personally feel the CM deserves. IMHO, all CM's should be exceptional, that's what DCL strives to hire. So if they're exceptional, they get the default amount. If they go above and beyond (frequently), I'll add cash to the tip.

Regardless, I don't use the small, pre-printed envelopes. I dislike those greatly. I use the in-room stationery (sometimes have to get more from GS) and write a note to each CM, regardless of increased tip or not. I add the "slip" and make sure I hand it to them personally. They notice that it's not the "standard issue" envelope, and it never feels like a business transaction to me.

However, this is just how our family does it. Regardless how you do it, take the advice of many previous posters and review your tip sheets to make sure they're accurate. I've never caught a mistake, but plenty of others have.

Cheers!

We also increase tips by going to Guest Services. But we make sure we hand the slips to everyone. We had an issue one cruise where we got the receipts and the names were no where close to the people who were actually serving us in the dining room (sometimes it's hard to tell as a lot of servers adopt "Americanized" names and the slips have their real names). But these were very far off for our server and assistant server (head server was fine). When we went to Guest Services to adjust the tips up, we asked to be sure the tips were going to the right people. We were assured they were; we even had a Guest Services manager confirm all was well (they told us there was a computer mix up associating the wrong names to the wrong accounts or something but behind the scenes, it was going to the right person's account). Something wasn't right and the last night when we handed out the tip slips, we spoke with our server and told him about the names being wrong and what Guest Services said. The last morning at breakfast, our server and assistant server both thanked us for pointing out the issue and giving them the slips. He said if we had just let it go, their money would have gone to the wrong people. But because they had the slips they were able to straighten everything out.

I'm sure 99.9% of the time, all is well. But just in case there is a computer glitch, if having that little piece of paper helps out the people who made my cruise special, I'm going to make sure they have it.

I have to admit that I never even considered that the names could be incorrect. Although I always look at the names, we've never had that issue. And in some cases, where it appears their real name is far from the name they introduce themselves with, their nickname is always indicated.

We do always give a little extra (definitely not as much as others) because we want them to know that we feel they provided better service than what we expected. But even if we didn't give anything more, I like to give them the piece of paper as a "receipt" because I thought that if there is a system issue, this would be an easier method for them to get their gratuity.

I wouldn’t pass out an empty envelope if I was just giving the standard gratuity. If I added $ to the standard at guest services I might put the printout in there. But really We just put cash in ours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter