Is going during the 50th worth it?

Jvace

Earning My Ears
I have been many times to disneyworld, and one of those times was during the 25th anniversary. So I have always said I would be there for the 50th. But now that it’s here…..I’m not so sure. All of the changes since we last visited in 2019 are giving me pause.

If it wasn’t for it being the 50th anniversary, I would NOT be going. I would give Disney another year or two and see if maybe some of the kinks can be worked out, shows and parades brought back, etc. But if I don’t go, am I missing out on the 50th stuff? I’ve tried to research what special things are for the 50th, but honestly, not seeing anything that won’t still be there in the future minus some 50th signage and merchandise.

We would be going the week after thanksgiving/first week of December. We have been the first week of December before and it’s my favorite time. But is it worth going JUST because it’s the 50th? If we do not go to Disney, we will go to Williamsburg, Va (never been, but super excited to visit) but ughhhhh…..the 50th!!!! So conflicted about this. In your opinion, is the 50th celebration worth going for, or is it really nothing special compared to any other time?

IMHO, you’re not missing any special 50th stuff unless you’re into special 50th merchandise or special foods/desserts/ beverages.

There are also a few special photo opportunities, so if you had some images of yourself or loved ones with the 25th logo in a flowerbed or in the background, it might be cool to have a similar shot on the 50th.

Cinderella Castle is way cool (SO much better than that cake design on the 25th!) so there’s that.

To be honest, I don’t care much for the 50th branding, because my memories are of WDW in its “natural state,” and I think all of the 50th stuff actually detracts in a way. But I know others see things differently.

We were there in early March, and nothing much really screamed 50th Anniversary to me. I bought a small reusable bag and that is it. Nothing to do with the anniversary made the trip special for me - family time with our daughter was what made it special. I guess what I am trying to say is, I would not go there expecting a very special anniversary, one in a lifetime experience due to 50th Anniversary festivities. I didn't see it or experience it and believe me when I say that I am a very emotional, full-on tradition type of woman. I cry easily and gush over a lot of stuff but didn't do either for anything 50th Anniversary related. We had a magical vacation overall.

We were there at Thanksgiving, and really only merch and food were special. There are those gold statues, but I don't know if they will implement the magicband+ feature soon or if they will keep the statues beyond the 50th. There were some mild decorations. I have to be honest that it wasn't very a big deal. Luckily, we were going whether there was a celebration or not, so we weren't upset.

We were there the first week of March. We didn't really get over whelmed by 50 stuff. I think it is just the pent up demand for Disney that has all the crowds. Prices for everything are higher, but I don't think they are ever going to come down again. I long for the old days of 60 days out grabbing fast passes and park hopping when every you want to.

I didn't notice anything that made the 50th anniversary celebration special (apart from the signs/announcements, which were pretty).

What made last week's trip different from previous trips: The fireworks show wasn't as impressive as usual, character interaction was watered down...previously 'small' things I may have taken for granted and wouldn't think to check up on weren't happening...

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer -- this is my honest reply to your question! The FOMO isn't necessary. :)

We were there in October, shortly after the 50th started. At that time, there was very little going on to let anyone know that there was a 50th celebration going on. Not much in merch as well. We saw far more going on for the 25th and 40th. Maybe we will see more next month.

Just going for the 50th? Not worth the extra trip. Happen to go while it’s going on (like us)? Does maybe add a little. The add is just seeing the 50th merch, food, signs around that say it’s the 50th. They really aren’t doing anything special from what we saw. Although we did like a couple of the things in the shops that had 50th and liked getting our pictures with 50 in the background.

We also haven't been since 2019 but are going this year. Mostly because it's my 40th birthday but I'm also excited to see the stuff for the 50th (went for the 25th too). I wouldn't have made the plans just because it was the 50th.

I live in Williamsburg- December is a fun time with a lot going on, plus Christmastown at BG. You may want to check as things get closer on timing- CW has changed Grand Illumination and the city changed the xmas parade timing with COVID and CW budget issues. Reach out if you need any Williamsburg tips!

We have said for years we were going for the 50th. There was no way we were going to miss it. I even had a reservation booked for last October. We were at Disneyland during its 60th anniversary and it was great, so we were so excited for WDW's 50th.

The price increases with the reduced offerings made us cancel. The package price they were charging me was $3,000 more than I had paid for the exact same category room on the same dates in 2019. A non-club room was $2,000 HIGHER than we paid for a club level room with the same view category in 2018 for the same dates. They wanted us to pay thousands of dollars more when they were giving us so much less. There wasn't any type of fast pass system in place at that point. We did go to DLR instead and outside of Oogie Boogie Bash which was amazing- we were sorry we did. The park reservation system, the inability to hop until 1:00 at DLR, the crowds, the no fast pass of any kind-- it really was our worst Disney trip and we have been to WDW in a hurricane. DH said he wasn't going back to any Disney park without a FP system-- and from what I have heard Genie + is a pain and not nearly as good as MaxPass was at DLR- plus now there is the pay per ride on a few of the most popular. I had booked again for this year really wanting to hit it during the 50th, but we are cancelling. It just isn't worth what they are charging right now in our opinion. Maybe it will be better by December

Disneyland was amazing for its 50th and 60th, but there just isn't anything special I can see at WDW for us to make the trip (we were just there last Summer). I'm beginning to wonder if there would have been, even if the pnademic hadn't sidetracked things. We will go with GOTG and Tron are up and running, and that may be before 50th ends...but I don't think we'll be going because of the 50th (and we had planned on it at one time).

The Year of a Million Dreams that ran from 2006-2008 blows away anything happening with the current 50th, unfortunately that was during a time when Disney valued the guest experience, those days are long gone.

I went first week of December 2021. Never again. It was miserably crowded.

I guess the 50 sign is cool, and I like the iridescent bags, the cast badges, and the costume on Minnie. You can see all of those things on Youtube. Other than that, I don't see anything special about the 50th.

I don't think there is anything that special about the 50th. Just got back from a busy spring break week. And I'd say sure, if you feel like going, why not. There will be crowds, but there are crowds everywhere that seems to be worth going to these days. I wouldn't hesitate to go again based on last week's experience. I am, though, glad DH who hates crowds stayed home.

We just took out time, used Genie +, toured at leisure, etc. For us at a park like Epcot, we mostly looked at flowers, listed to live performances, ate food booth food, etc. I thought it was fun, but I'm kind of a Disney diehard and others in my party are too.

I was there for year 1 and year 25 too. Did some cool then/now photos which I think are so fun. We always stay offsite to keep costs lower too FYI.

I am planning a January trip, on the tail end of the 50th. The hope is that GOTG, Tron and maybe some Epcot redevelopment will be done in time. If it wasn't for those new upcoming things, there really isn't another reason to go at this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter