Is Disney Springs on a weekend a good replacement for a park day?

We haven't done it in years and have no desire to do it. We go twice a year (at least I do, my son once a year) and sometimes those trips are 6 nights and we still find plenty to do in the parks, even in those crowded times. We were there the week before Christmas last year and spent the mornings of each day resort hopping to look at the trees and decorations. So we took the bus to MK, hopped on the monorail and got off at CR, went around the rail, got off at MK, took the boat to WL and back to MK where we spent a couple of hours. Next day, it was walk to HS (we were staying at Dolphin) and hop on the bus to AKL, wander around and look at the decorations, bus back to AK and spend some time in the park. That night we had a 7:30 ADR at Tiffins so we went to Nomad lounge around 5:30 and spent some time at the bar before our ADR (I booked that ADR on drive down that morning). Next day we walked to Epcot, stopping at BC/YC, hung around for a while and walked back via BW to look around there. Our last day (it was only a quick 4 day trip) we did HS and back to Epcot. Our trip week before last, we were there for 6 nights, we didn't get to the parks until around 9:30 or so, spent the mornings riding rides and looking around/shopping, back to the resort for some hot tub time and usually back to a park for supper at night. Some parks we repeated, some not. We made only one FP in advance and that was FEA which I made about 2 weeks in advance, no ADRs in advance expect the dining in the sky thing. We ate at TS every day by booking day of, road everything we wanted to ride by doing a combination of Stand by/booking FP while standing in line and booking FP in the morning before we left the room. Because we go so often we do split stays with a couple of nights at a moderate before moving over to an Epcot resort. The days at the moderate we went to the bus stop and hopped on the first bus to arrive. So even with that long there and going as often as we go along with it being Spring break, we find plenty to do in the parks around the resorts and don't step foot in DS.

Why don't you spend sometime at DS (World of Disney, take a boat and/or Balloon ride, and of course Earl of Sandwich, etc) but also go over to the Boardwalk where you can watch magicians and other buskers, ride a surrey bike, eat, take the boat over to DHS or Epcot - without going into the parks - watch fireworks From the bridge to Epcot and go to Jelly Rolls for a fun ending to your night. Almost all of those activities are free.

I would still get a ticket for that day. But sleep in, go to DS, and then the evening in the park. There is not enough at DS till fill an entire day.

I agree in that I wouldn't replace a full park day at DS. It really depends on what you want to do and how much you like to shop. There are other things to do besides shop- movies, bowling, the balloon ride. DS is mostly an outdoor shopping mall. Maybe half a day at the resort swimming, etc. and half a day at DS. I also am not sure I would do DS on a weekend, especially a weekend evening. Many locals who are often off work on the weekends like DS too. It can get very crowded.

Thanks everyone! I do want to check it out, just so I know what it's like, so I think I like the idea of going on a Saturday morning, grabbing lunch, then back to the resort for a swim, and then a night in the park to see fireworks, etc. May wind up being a one and done thing!

I like Disney Springs for dining options and a visit to the Lego and World of Disney stores, but no, I would not replace a park day. We end up there two or three times a trip, but for only a few hours at a time. We have a rental car too, so generally it's not the ordeal that taking the bus from some resorts was.

Thanks everyone! I do want to check it out, just so I know what it's like, so I think I like the idea of going on a Saturday morning, grabbing lunch, then back to the resort for a swim, and then a night in the park to see fireworks, etc. May wind up being a one and done thing!

Saturday morning would be much less crowded than a Sat. evening. Another option would be if you went to MK on a party day(early close) you could hit DS in the evening for dinner and a little shopping.

Not worth it. Also- Disney Springs is a nightmare on Saturdays in December. It is Christmas shopping season. We used to go to WDW in early December every year and gave up going to DTD on our trips because it was always crazy crowded with Christmas shoppers. I would thing it would be even worse now since they have added so many chain and "brand" stores. it will be full of not just tourists, but also Christmas shopping. I love to shop, but way would I go back to DS on a Saturday in December. I would rather spend the day at a park- especially on a shorter trip like yours. The World of Disney Store is usually so crowded on the weekends in December that you can barely move. Also, don't count on an afternoon swim in December. We have been there when the height for the day was 80 and we were in shorts, but we have also been there when the high for the day was 50 and we were in coats and gloves- and both in the same week! (So pack a little of everything) . The weather is unpredictable that time of the year.

Last edited:
Like others have said, it's a mall to me. It's always a tack-on at the end of a park day for us, not a destination. The shopping means nothing to me, but I do enjoy walking around World of Disney, art store,and Star Wars shop. Usually get a treat at Ghiradelli. Don't get me wrong, DS is pleasant but it's not a substitute for a park

Me and hubby could spend a day there but we liked the atmosphere. We came across dancing, live music, and a dance party this month as well as pin trading, photopass, kiddo had a blast at the LEGO store, we ate at Cookes, got treats at Erin McKenna's...it all depends on your tastes.

DS would not be a park replacement for us. So many "mall" type shops...lots of variety of restaurants but we can get variety in a park. Our grandkids would love the Disney Store but we have Disney Stores in the malls (not the same, I know, but the novelty is not there for them). To take 4 preschoolers on a bus from the resort to DS would be so-not-fun for everyone involved. We are just using Disney transportation. No car seats so no taxis. No way would we give up even a partial park day to go to DS.

We have done DS as a non park day. :) We actually just went down to DS for the day last Tuesday.
We don't have our AP's at the moment. So it was nice to go down and do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter