Ireland Trip Report 2015

Thank you for posting all of this. We would love to do the Ireland and London/Paris ABDs eventually. Loved your Australia trip report as well.

Your wife's green jacket is fantastic!

Thanks! Yes, Ireland is absolutely one to add to the list!

Looks like a lot of fun! Interesting that they added a pub crawl to the Adults Only trip. Not a lot of the trips make actual changes to the itinerary for Adults Only!

Sayhello

Really? On the official itinerary, the pub crawl isn't listed. It's listed as a free night. Dinner was still on our own for everyone, but we me up in the evening for the crawl. I thought that was really cool they added something just for the adults only trip.

OMG!! They are the best pair ever!! Jackie is so sweet and Kelley is awesome!!

Absolutely! They're amazing guides. Jackie guided 8/10 of the Ireland trips this year! Kelley did 2 or 3 I believe this year. She's from Nashville so she's doing a number of the Nashville ABDs. They're both wonderful!

Day 3 - Dublin to Killarney

We left the city of Dublin to head out into western Ireland to Killarney. This is where Ireland really gets beautiful. Rolling green hills are spotted with sheep and stone walls. On the way into the countryside we stopped off for scones and tea. We were heading to the Rock of Cashel in the middle of southern Ireland. This is the hilltop where St. Patrick converted the King of Munster to Christianity in the 5th century and the home of many kings since. Today there’s a ruin of a 12th century cathedral on the site. It’s a beautiful place though, and the weather was perfect.

Onward we went to Killarney. We arrived at the 5 star Killarney Park Hotel. The hotel was beautiful. The Westin was nice in Dublin, but this was a significant step up from that. It was decorated in a traditional, luxurious country style. Hopefully my pictures will give a better idea. There were fireplaces everywhere, a beautiful library, billiards room and several other areas for lounging. I loved it.

We arrived into Killarney mid-afternoon and had a few hours on our own. We ended up taking a nap, but I know others walked around the town. This evening’s activity was a ghost tour. That’s not our thing, so we opted out. We ended up researching a restaurant about 15 minutes away by taxi called Rozzer’s. The front desk at Killarney Park ordered us a taxi. It was a small town, so our taxi driver, Moses, knew all about the restaurant and also highly recommended it. When we arrived, I asked Moses if I should take his card to call him when we were finished. He said not to worry about it. The restaurant would give him a call. When we walked into the golf resort where the restaurant was, a gentleman asked if he could help us. We told him we were looking for Rozzers. He introduced himself as Rozzer and welcomed us in. It was a very relaxing, incredibly friendly place. The food was amazing.

When we were all finished, they called a taxi and it was, of course, Moses. Funny guy. He asked how long we had stayed in Dublin. "3 days,” we said. “That was 71 hours too long.” There seems to be quite a bit of friendly competition between all the counties of Ireland. Once we arrived back at the hotel, we were exhausted. But it’s a beautiful hotel. Really one of my favorites in ABD. It’s just so cozy. I wish I had taken pictures of our room. It too was quite large. It had a bedroom area and living area. The living area had a gas fireplace. I gladly would have spent more time there.

Day 3 - Dublin to Killarney

21177277719_fc368f3f33_c.jpg

The Rock of Cashel

20743076813_0130b1132d_c.jpg

21353399662_eb903f6e24_c.jpg

21353397692_f992292c5f_c.jpg

21372472971_2204cba099_c.jpg

20741468404_f95e0e4fcf_c.jpg

21176068170_83e4e9d17b_c.jpg

21337911006_85729b73b3_c.jpg

21364171105_56e3b25f88_c.jpg

20742277693_9c4b99b8cb_c.jpg

Lunch at one of the pubs in the town of Cashel

20741455904_4aebbae490_c.jpg

21176056450_747c32332f_c.jpg

21364164345_74c89c4f5f_c.jpg

Before dinner we walked around the Killarney Park hotel and posed for silly pictures

21176855188_a2067c6254_c.jpg

21337191096_1e871d90e7_c.jpg

Dinner at Rozzer’s

21175575348_3d04315a41_c.jpg

When we were all finished, they called a taxi and it was, of course, Moses. Funny guy. He asked how long we had stayed in Dublin. "3 days,” we said. “That was 71 hours too long.” There seems to be quite a bit of friendly competition between all the counties of Ireland.

lol, I can explain. In Ireland we have 2 national sports, Hurling (which I describe to my American friends as violent hockey) and Gaelic Football. They are played at county level, each of the 32 counties has a team. The first round of the season is to decide the regional champion, North (Ulster) South (Munster) East (Leinster) and West (Connaught ) The second round the 4 regional champions play each other and then the final is to decide the All Ireland Champion. The Finals are like the Irish Superbowl, with the same type of crowds and county support. The rivalry between the counties is huge and a source of great county pride.

In the Gaelic Football season, Dublin and Kerry are historical rivals. This year they have both reached the final which will be played on September 20 2015 in the main sports stadium in Dublin. Thats why your Taxi driver made a joke about you being in Dublin. Its all part of the banter leading up to the final. You will get on great with the Kerry locals if you pledge your support for them in the football final. The team /county colours are green and yellow. You will really get on great with the Kerry locals if you buy and wear a button or lanyard or have with you some of the county merchandise. Most grocery or newsagents in Kerry will be selling merchandise, shops like Centra, Spar, Londis, Tesco, Dunnes Stores etc.

The Park Hotel looks and sounds wonderful! :)

I love your photoshoot photos! What a very cool idea that is. I'll have to remember it.

Did the others enjoy the Ghost tour?

Is Jackie Irish? We didn't have a local Guide for Scotland.

Sayhello

Really? On the official itinerary, the pub crawl isn't listed. It's listed as a free night. Dinner was still on our own for everyone, but we me up in the evening for the crawl. I thought that was really cool they added something just for the adults only trip.
The only Adults Only where we specifically did an added Adult Activity was Alaska, where we did a brewery tour in Anchorage and had lunch there rather than going to the family restaurant on the published itinerary (the Alaska Wildberry Products, and the Sourdough Mining Company). The brewery tour was really fun, and I imagine their lunch was probably way better than the other place. :) - Although the other place had killer hush puppies!

Other than that, the only departure I know from the published itinerary has been no Junior Adventurer's night.

Sayhello

The Park Hotel looks and sounds wonderful! :)

I love your photoshoot photos! What a very cool idea that is. I'll have to remember it.

Did the others enjoy the Ghost tour?

Is Jackie Irish? We didn't have a local Guide for Scotland.

Sayhello

As far as the Ghost tour, it's tough to say. I chatted with one couple right after their ghost tour. One seemed to enjoy it, while the other thought it was a bit too scary for her taste. For example there were actors that came up behind them and startled them. That's exactly what I don't like. The ghost tour in Australia was definitely not that - it was more of a historic evening walk with creepy stories. In Australia, no one jumped out at you. It sounds like the Ireland ghost tour was a little more scary than that. If anyone wants any reviews of the ghost tour itself, you can look up Killarney ghost tour on trip advisor. That's the one they take. There's lots of reviews there. The main thing I heard the next day was how dark the walk was.

Yes, Jackie is Irish. She's done tours for ABD for the last couple of years now, but has been a tour guide before that and does other (non ABD) tours in the off season. She lives in America (New York state I believe). She has lots of wonderful stories to share. She's a great ABD guide.

The only Adults Only where we specifically did an added Adult Activity was Alaska, where we did a brewery tour in Anchorage and had lunch there rather than going to the family restaurant on the published itinerary (the Alaska Wildberry Products, and the Sourdough Mining Company). The brewery tour was really fun, and I imagine their lunch was probably way better than the other place. :) - Although the other place had killer hush puppies!

Other than that, the only departure I know from the published itinerary has been no Junior Adventurer's night.

Sayhello

I think it's neat they included a more adult activity like a pub crawl on the adult only tour. I hope they do more of that for other trips.

As far as the Ghost tour, it's tough to say. I chatted with one couple right after their ghost tour. One seemed to enjoy it, while the other thought it was a bit too scary for her taste. For example there were actors that came up behind them and startled them. That's exactly what I don't like. The ghost tour in Australia was definitely not that - it was more of a historic evening walk with creepy stories. In Australia, no one jumped out at you. It sounds like the Ireland ghost tour was a little more scary than that. If anyone wants any reviews of the ghost tour itself, you can look up Killarney ghost tour on trip advisor. That's the one they take. There's lots of reviews there. The main thing I heard the next day was how dark the walk was.

We had the same company, but there were no people jumping out and scaring us. Maybe they tone it down for tours with kids. We had a lot of children in our group, but no really young ones. Since it was the middle of summer and the days are long, it wasn't dark on our tour. It might have been a little scary if it had been dark, but in the daylight it wasn't scary at all. We took a ghost tour in Edinburgh on our pre-trip ABD days and we thought it was better. No actors jumping out on that one either (which, I agree, Is a good thing). It wasn't exactly scary, but the atmosphere was more creepy

The ghost tour is fab! People do get jumped out at. There's one fellow in black that crawls aroun and grabs ankles too. But I LOVED it! And I am a major chicken.

And it's not toned down for kids. The guides advised children to stay away.

The ghost tour is fab! People do get jumped out at. There's one fellow in black that crawls aroun and grabs ankles too. But I LOVED it! And I am a major chicken.

And it's not toned down for kids. The guides advised children to stay away.

It's changed since last year then. There was only one guy from the ghost tour company with our group. He came on to the bus wearing a mask and cape, but he took the mask off and just told stories after that.

Love the photo shoot idea! I will have to remember to do something like that for one of our trips. I am really enjoying your trip report by the way and taking notes! We are doing the river cruise with ABD next year and are planning to visit Ireland on the way for a few days. Therefore, thank you for helping me plan my trip Cousin Orville :-)

Love the photo shoot idea! I will have to remember to do something like that for one of our trips. I am really enjoying your trip report by the way and taking notes! We are doing the river cruise with ABD next year and are planning to visit Ireland on the way for a few days. Therefore, thank you for helping me plan my trip Cousin Orville :-)

Thanks! I'm very excited to hear all about the river cruises. I think this is just the beginning as far as ABD River Cruises go. I'm getting ahead of myself by saying this, but give some thought to flying through Shannon as an alternative to Dublin. Dublin is very cool, and I loved it, but County Clare has stolen my heart. Dromoland Castle may very well be one of my favorite places I've visited. And it's 15 minutes away from the airport.... Just sayin'. More on that later.

Dromoland is awesome! And that Shannon airport is easy! I really enjoyed Killarney. Dublin was actually the least awesome part.... I agree with you Cousin O.

Thanks! I'm very excited to hear all about the river cruises. I think this is just the beginning as far as ABD River Cruises go. I'm getting ahead of myself by saying this, but give some thought to flying through Shannon as an alternative to Dublin. Dublin is very cool, and I loved it, but County Clare has stolen my heart. Dromoland Castle may very well be one of my favorite places I've visited. And it's 15 minutes away from the airport.... Just sayin'. More on that later.

Ack! Of course I've already booked flights from Miami to Dublin and Dublin to Budapest using miles. However, I could very well change that if it's worth it so I am looking forward to reading more on your experiences. I am glad to hear you say that about Dromoland since we are planning for at least two nights at Dromoland Castle and maybe two in Ashford Castle as well. Oh boy, County Clare sounds like it did to you what Scotland did to me. Great trip report! Can't wait to read more. Have fun!!!

I have to agree. Dublin was cool but I absolutely fell in love with the gorgeous County Clare. Dromoland Castle was one of the highlights of our trip, the other was the beautiful, fishing village of Kinsale. Loving your trip report. :)

Loved Dromoland, too! Cousin O's report is bringing back wonderful memories from Ireland. Killarney is extremely beautiful but we also loved Dublin (don't count it out!). We loved the Museum there and had a wonderful dinner at a restaurant called The Winding Stair. We are going to London before our Christmas River Cruise (we did London/Paris last Christmas and loved that season in London) but we also considered going back to Ireland. The country is beautiful, the people are amazing, and the food is surprisingly fabulous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter