Ireland Trip Report 2015

Now tell us what Aer Lingus was like from Heathrow to Dublin ?

Not much to say. It's a short flight - a little over an hour. We weren't given seat assignments in Houston for the Are Lingus flight, but I was assured we were confirmed and would get seats once in Heathrow and we did. I wasn't too concerned as surely there were many flights a day to Dublin.

Day 1 - Dublin

We booked our pre night room on our own, but thankfully didn’t have to change rooms once on the ABD reservation. We went down to the hotel breakfast which was included and great basic breakfast - cereal, toasts, scrambled eggs a bit too runny for the Americans, meats, and cheeses. After breakfast we met Jackie and Kelley both of which have done this ABD for a few years I believe. They were both lovely and welcoming. They discussed various options for the morning and afternoon on our own, but we had everything pretty well planned out already. Dinner was at 5:30.

In the morning we visited Kilmainham Gaol. It’s the old jail that was built in the late 18th century with the original goal to house prisoners more humanely than in centuries past. It became a model for jails to come. But like all jails it became overcrowded, and there were other flaws that led it to become a pretty awful place. When you visit, you join a guided tour and the guides there are amazing. They go through much of Ireland’s history from the late 1700’s to early 20th century and discussed how the jail played a major role. The infamous potato famine in the mid 1800’s which created a surge of prisoners was one major historical point. The greatest impact was from the Easter Uprising in 1916 when the rebels stood up against the British Empire and were quickly squashed. Most Irish were unsupportive of the rebels until the British began executing them in the jail which created massive public outcry. The rebels became martyrs and that spurred the independence movement that led to a free Ireland today. It was a great tour and I highly recommend it. It was in my top 3 things I did in Dublin.
Kate had booked us a professional photoshoot for the afternoon. She had arranged one a couple of years ago in Paris and we had a great time. Kate wanted to get her hair made up just a little bit so she booked (through the hotel concierge) an early afternoon appt with a local salon. Meanwhile, I walked up O' Connell Street crossing over the River Liffey to see the Post Office. This was the major scene of the 1916 Easter Rebellion where the rebels made their stand. You can still see the bullet holes in the columns of the post office where they were fired upon by the British soldiers.

A bit later we met up with our photographer, Vanessa, who took us around many areas from the river, through Temple Bar, and to Dublin Castle for about an hour and a half. We had a good time and seemed to get some great photos. We have to wait another day or so before they post online. We finished up about an hour before the welcome dinner.
Our welcome dinner started off with a little wine, beer, and fruit and cheese reception. From there we went into one of the small banquet rooms in the hotel for our dinner. The hotel has some pretty ornate meeting spaces. Ours wasn’t over the top, but it was fine. It was a pretty typical welcome dinner compared to other ABD's. The food was good, but nothing particularly memorable. As many of you who have followed my previous trip reports may already gather, I’m usually not overly impressed with the ABD welcome dinners. They did have a harpist who played beautifully. We have a good group of 36 people (I believe). Jackie and Kelley spoke a bit about the trip. It was a nice night.
At this point I usually head in to sleep, but as this is adults only, and since it is just Kate and me, we went out searching for music. I had found a place on tripadvisor, McNeills, that plays traditional Irish music. It was a littler further than Temple Bar but well worth the walk. They didn’t start up until 9:30, but it was wonderful. It wasn’t very crowded, and definitely wasn’t as crazy as the pubs in Temple Bar get. We stayed for about an hour listening to music and drinking Guinness. The music was awesome and just what we were hoping. Off to a great start.

Day 1 - Dublin

Meeting Kelley and Irish Mickey

21032537100_9364bb7d50_c.jpg

Kilmainham Gaol
20599361183_541120d71d_c.jpg

In the museum at Kimainham they have an original Independence Proclimation. There are 20 that have survived.
21220473915_9a7b61dccf_c.jpg

20597770814_e88ae5feeb_c.jpg

The courtyard where the Easter Rebellion organizers were shot by British firing squad
21032548998_33e7b61224_c.jpg

The Post Office where the Easter Rebellion was centered

21228396081_002b95a3b1_c.jpg

The Photoshoot. Hopefully more pics to come...

21210246432_42d006eba9_c.jpg

At the Welcome Dinner

21032537150_c1c648c7ee_c.jpg

Walking to McNeill’s pub

20599516363_d3d63c17e6_c.jpg

21032536470_2b81df8e41_c.jpg

21033813719_9c7d2ae2a1_c.jpg

21220854805_86b5a30cda_c.jpg

21220640835_d1b91d4b47_c.jpg

21220641315_f0f310e75d_c.jpg

21210245662_5c81fdebfe_c.jpg

20624988933_a3ed22f614_c.jpg

21246121735_9e9881aa4e_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard of people booking photo shoots during their travels and I think it is a great idea! How did you guys find the photographer? Was there a website you used? I'd love to do this in London when I go.

Love your festive hats for the welcome dinner. Sounds like your trip isnoff to a great start

Now tell us what Aer Lingus was like from Heathrow to Dublin ?
Not much to say. It's a short flight - a little over an hour. We weren't given seat assignments in Houston for the Are Lingus flight, but I was assured we were confirmed and would get seats once in Heathrow and we did. I wasn't too concerned as surely there were many flights a day to Dublin.

Basically the London Dublin Aer Lingus route is a commuter route. There are flights almost every hour and the flights can get crowded depending on the time of the year. The one thing you need to make sure when transiting through Hethrow to Aer Lingus Dublin after coming from USA is to take the correct transfer corridor. You need to follow the signs which say Domestic / Republic of Ireland. During transfer you will get your passport checked again and go through hand luggage scanning.

The flight time is approx 1 hour and food is not included. They sell snacks and drinks on board but if the flights are busy that day they sometimes have time to restock and may not have a good selection. I always buy food and drinks in the airport before boarding the plane. The seats are not as big as transatlantic and technically they only allow I piece of carry on. You get a pass on 2 pieces of carry on if you are coming from USA though.

They dont have in-flight entertainment as its basically a commuter flight and they have a really short turn around so its get people on quickly and get people off quickly.

@Cousin Orville
wow you made it to Kilmainhain, well done. Thats a place I think every tourist should see. Its not just a recreation of our history, its the real actual place where history happened. Im so glad you went over to the GPO too and found the bullet holes. So many people pass by every day and just think its a post office, when in fact its a living piece of history. You should find the film MICHAEL COLLINS starring Liam Neeson. Its a film about that time in Ireland, starting with the 1916 rebellion and the excutions at Kilmainham and ending in 1922.

Also well done for finding a pub OUTSIDE Temple Bar. Thats impressive, as most tourists dont realise that Temple Bar is just a tourist trap and there are many other great pubs which are cheaper in the surrounding streets.

I'm following this TR. I also like Kate's trench coat and her green nail polish :shamrock:

It's my first time reading about a professional photo shoot, what a wonderful idea! How did you find one and would you be getting a CD/DVD or buy individually from website?

PS: love Irish Mickey with his pot of gold.

I've heard of people booking photo shoots during their travels and I think it is a great idea! How did you guys find the photographer? Was there a website you used? I'd love to do this in London when I go.

Love your festive hats for the welcome dinner. Sounds like your trip isnoff to a great start

I'm following this TR. I also like Kate's trench coat and her green nail polish :shamrock:

It's my first time reading about a professional photo shoot, what a wonderful idea! How did you find one and would you be getting a CD/DVD or buy individually from website?

PS: love Irish Mickey with his pot of gold.

She found Vanessa, our Dublin photographer, on flytographer.com. In Paris a couple of years ago, she found a vacation photographer directly on trip advisor.

In Paris the guide just gave us a copy of the compact flash card when we were done. Now, through flytographer.com the pictures are posted online. You own and can download them all. I'll try to post some when I can.

wow you made it to Kilmainhain, well done. Thats a place I think every tourist should see. Its not just a recreation of our history, its the real actual place where history happened. Im so glad you went over to the GPO too and found the bullet holes. So many people pass by every day and just think its a post office, when in fact its a living piece of history. You should find the film MICHAEL COLLINS starring Liam Neeson. Its a film about that time in Ireland, starting with the 1916 rebellion and the excutions at Kilmainham and ending in 1922.

Also well done for finding a pub OUTSIDE Temple Bar. Thats impressive, as most tourists dont realise that Temple Bar is just a tourist trap and there are many other great pubs which are cheaper in the surrounding streets.

Thanks for the suggestion of the movie Michael Collins. If anyone wants to listen to traditional Irish music, I'd avoid Temple Bar at night and search up some pubs that play traditional music. On the next night we walked around the area by St Andrew's Church, and there seemed to be other pubs that played traditional music. I think that would be considered south of the Temple Bar area. For me, Fleet Street was the craziest area late at night that I would recommend avoiding. I didn't feel unsafe, just out of place.

Day 2 - Dublin

Today was our first full adventure day. After breakfast we started off with a city tour in a duck boat. It was a good overview. The local guide we had was very funny, and I probably enjoyed him more than the duck boat itself.

Next up was a tour of the Jeannie Johnston. A ship that ultimately made many trips transporting Irishmen and women to Canada during the Great Famine in the mid 19th century. The ship is a recreation, but is nonetheless very impressive. The story as relayed by our guide was very interesting, and I’m glad we visited here. I really enjoyed it.

From here it was on to Guinness. Guinness is an institution here in Dublin. The factory takes up a huge footprint in the city. Several of our guides and taxi drivers relayed stories about how the Guinness family has served the community. So, they seem to be well loved beyond the stout they make. When we entered through the gates it felt a bit like walking into Willy Wonka’s factory. We went up to a private room where lunch was served. There were a few different selections, but the headliner was their Guinness beef stew, and it was excellent. I had mine, as did several others, with a half pint of tasty Guinness. After lunch, we took a private tour of how Guinness is made. Keep in mind it’s a major tourist attraction, so there are many other people around, but we had a guide that led us through the massive exhibit. It was incredibly well done. Note you’re not going through the actual brewery or factory, but an elaborate exhibit that shows the process and history. For me and most people, it was more interesting this way. We stopped by a Tasting Room where they discussed the flavors and how to taste, much like wine. After the tour, they gave us all tickets for a free Guinness and let us wander freely. You can either go up to the bar/lounge on the top floor with a beautiful panoramic view of Dublin to have you Guinness, or you can go to the Guinness Academy and learn how to "pour the perfect pint". Yes, there is a special technique.
My recommendation is if you want to learn to pour, do that first, because it uses your ticket. You learn to pour which was a lot of fun, they print off an official certificate and you’re free to take your pint up to the lounge if you wish. The academy is on the 4th floor and the lounge is on the 6th. Afterwards you can visit their massive gift shop to find anything and everything Guinness. We had a great time. I know it’s very touristy, but the Guinness Storehouse was still one of my favorite things we did in Dublin.

Back to the hotel we went. We got back around 3:30 so it’s been a long, full day thus far. After dropping off purchases and things, there was an optional activity to see the Book of Kells. I was very excited about this. I minored in Art History in college, specifically medieval art, so I’ve been wanting to see this for years. It’s the most famous illuminated manuscripts in medieval art. We walked over to Trinity College where it’s kept. There’s no skipping the line here for ABD, but thankfully the line was very short today. You go through a small exhibit explaining the Book of Kells first and then into the room where it’s kept. So there’s no disappointment, I’ll mention you will only get to see 2 real pages. One text page, and one heavily illuminated page. Ours happened to be the title page for the Gospel of John. It was beautiful. They “turn" the pages once every 2 weeks. From there you can visit the library grand hall on the next floor up. It too was beautiful, and very much worth seeing. FWIW, the Jedi library/archives room in Episode 2 (?) is based on this library. It also inspired the library at Hogwarts in Harry Potter. The Book of Kells and Library round out my top 3 of Dublin.

Dinner was on our own. We had reservations at One Pico which has fine dining Irish food - sounds like an oxymoron, but it was incredibly well done. I had lamb for my main and a sticky toffee pudding for dessert. It was a very good. Similar to Chapter One. For the money, One Pico is the better deal. It’s just as worthy of a Michelin Star, but doesn’t have one (yet?).

On the adults only ABD, they have a literary pub crawl in the evening. For us it started at 7:30. We had a 6:00pm reservation so I figured we might be late. (Which is VERY early in Ireland. We were the only ones eating there for at least the first 1/2 hour which we were fine with). Kelley told us to just meet up at the first pub around 8. We did that and it worked out great. The Pub Crawl was a lot of fun. You could leave whenever you wanted. We were tired after the 2nd pub and went back to the hotel nearby. They went to at least 3, maybe 4 more pubs so I heard.

So, all together it was a very full day! Another great day in Dublin. Tomorrow off to Killarney.

Day 2 - Dublin

At the Jeanie Johnston

20633459343_71f0e90f56_c.jpg

20633457303_d3a22f92be_c.jpg

21228332946_da44035400_c.jpg

20633469613_e16fe93b68_c.jpg

Look what we found over at the Jeannie Johnston! Wait for us!
20633454393_bbb3c04632_c.jpg

At the Guinness Storehouse

21066474320_a6e8ff4204_c.jpg

showing off their 9000 year lease contract
21228328776_e12c3239b7_c.jpg

20631881564_b6eb4739a3_c.jpg

What are the 4 ingredients of Guinness, you ask?

Barley
21228324556_2292bdf816_c.jpg

Hops
21262604771_1aee65331c_c.jpg

Yeast (their Yeast strain is held in a special vault just in case…)
21254575995_ce67beb2e5_c.jpg

and Water!
21244074332_5295541fa1_c.jpg

21066660948_970a6b13a4_c.jpg

21066662898_4aa77d283e_c.jpg

21210456852_4e11309950_c.jpg

Here you can learn to ”pour the perfect pint"
20631867194_9f346a0ff3_c.jpg

20631864674_0064c522d6_c.jpg

Cheers Disney!
21066659998_ca91db6848_c.jpg

And to the optional tour of the Book of Kells (no photos allowed) and Trinity College Library
21244062422_fabc9be31b_c.jpg

21254605355_31c031ef8c_c.jpg

Dessert time at One Pico - lemon curd with raspberry sorbet
20631906564_182e6aa087_c.jpg

And lastly, our literary pub crawl
21262637301_ae9ed78eac_c.jpg

21067760569_79c1df2bbc_c.jpg

21262660841_233ef4fae3_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting all of this. We would love to do the Ireland and London/Paris ABDs eventually. Loved your Australia trip report as well.

Your wife's green jacket is fantastic!

Looks like a lot of fun! Interesting that they added a pub crawl to the Adults Only trip. Not a lot of the trips make actual changes to the itinerary for Adults Only!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter