• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In Training: Marathon Weekend 2013 (Dopey Challenge)! 1/17 - LINK TO TRIP REPORT!

Ariel484

DIS Veteran
Hellooooooooooo DISboards! :wave2:

As the thread title suggests, I’ve signed up to take on the Dopey Challenge in 2013! :banana: This means I’ve committed myself to running 42.4 miles over a span of 3 days during Walt Disney World’s Marathon Weekend (the 5K, half marathon and full marathon). Should be fun…and painful. But before that comes training, and before that, let me introduce myself.

My name is Shannon. :wave2: I’m a 28-year-old gal from the Midwest who loves Disney and running. Put the two together and I’m one happy camper.

IMG_5717.JPG

(From our summer trip to Chicago! Love The Bean!)

My love for Disney began a bit late in life…we went on one family trip in August 1995 (HOT HOT HOT!) which I LIKED, but didn’t LOVE. :rolleyes2 Stupid little me. Think of all the years I wasted! Fast-forward to 2009 and I was knee-deep in wedding planning. My fiancé-now-husband agreed that I could do whatever I wanted with the wedding (smart! :idea:) as long as he got to pick our honeymoon destination. His choice? Disney. I don’t think he knew what he was getting in to, because I came back from that trip a changed woman. Obviously I was now a wife (yay!)…I was also completely, unexpectedly, a total Disney freak. :woohoo: Woohoo! So that’s the Disney part of this whole thing…what about running?

After some half-hearted attempts to stick with it throughout high school and college (including one random, ill-fated try at joining the track team my junior year of high school) I began consistently running in 2008. I remember watching the Biggest Loser and thinking, I am such lazy bum…if these people can run on the treadmill, so can I! My employer was holding a 5K that spring, so I made it my goal to finish that 5K without dying. And, let’s be honest…I also wanted to look good for my wedding, which was still a little over a year away. :upsidedow I downloaded the Couch-to-5K plan (cannot recommend this enough), got a good pair of running shoes, and haven’t looked back since. To date I have run 19 races: one 2-miler, 4-miler and 5-miler, six 5Ks (I DID finish that first one…it took me almost 38 minutes in the rain, but I was so proud!), one 10K, three 10-milers, four half marathons (including the 2011 Princess Half Marathon) and one marathon – the 2012 Walt Disney World Marathon!

Set to join me on the trip are my husband (Will, 27 - #1 cheerleader, not a runner, and the one that started my Disney obsession) and my brother (Craig, aka Princess Craiggy, 26 – my runDisney partner in crime, though he’s not currently signed up for the 5K). My mom may join us – I think she WANTS to, but she’s unsure if it’ll work out at this point. Fingers crossed!

Here are the 4 of us during 2011’s Princess Half Marathon weekend. The ESPN: The Weekend signage is still confusing to me, as that wasn't actually going on yet. :confused3

IMG_2085.jpg

Anyhoo, I thought it might be fun to document my training and other pre-trip report activities here. I think I’ll do a weekly recap sort of thing, and probably a post here and there on some other stuff (trip plans, running musings, random tangents, etc.). I don't consider myself any kind of expert on training or gear (far from it!) but I know what works for me and I DO like to blab on about running and Disney trip planning, so...why not?! :)

Won’t you join me? :flower3: After all, marathon weekend is only 20ish weeks away! :cheer2:

Table of Contents

Challenge Completed!
Link to Trip Report!

COMPLETE
Week 1 (8/27-9/2): 12 miles completed/15 miles planned...12 miles completed in training.
Monday: ST/yoga
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: ST
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: Rest Day
Sunday: 6 miles (3 miles)

Week 2 (9/3-9/9): 12 miles complete/16 miles planned ** Sinus Infection :sick: **...24 miles completed in training.
Monday: 3 miles (6 miles)
Tuesday: Rest Day
Thursday: Rest Day
Friday: 3 miles
Sunday: 7 miles (Rest Day)

Week 3 (9/10-9/16): 15 miles completed/15 miles planned...39 miles completed in training.
Monday: Rest Day
Thursday: ST/yoga
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: 5 miles
Sunday: 4 miles

Week 4 (9/17-9/23): 19 miles completed/19 miles planned...58 miles completed in training.
Monday: 3 miles
Tuesday: ST
Thursday: ST/yoga
Friday: 4 miles
Sunday: 9 miles

Week 5 (9/24-9/30): 21 miles completed/21 miles planned...79 miles completed in training.
Monday: ST
Friday: 5 miles
Saturday: 10 miles
Sunday: Rest Day

Week 6 (10/1-10/7): 24 miles completed/18 miles planned...103 miles completed in training.
Monday: ST/Yoga
Thursday: ST/Yoga
Friday: 5 miles (6 miles)
Saturday: 7 miles (12 miles)

Week 7 (10/8-10/14): 18 miles completed/24 miles planned...121 miles completed in training.
Monday: 3 miles
Tuesday: ST/6 miles (5 miles)
Friday: 12 miles (7 miles)

Week 8 (10/15-10/21): 25 miles completed/25 miles planned...146 miles completed in training.
Monday: ST/yoga
Wednesday: 3 miles/yoga
Friday: 6 miles
Saturday: 13 miles

Week 9 (10/22-10/28): 24 miles completed/24 miles planned...170 miles completed in training.
Tuesday: 4 miles
Friday: 7 miles
Sunday: 10 miles

Week 10 (10/29-11/4): 29 miles completed/29 miles planned...199 miles completed in training.
Saturday: 15 miles
Sunday: 7 miles

Week 11 (11/5-11/11): 32 miles completed/32 miles planned...231 miles completed in training.
Wednesday: 4 miles
Friday: 8 miles
Saturday: 16 miles

Week 12 (11/12-11/18): 30.1 miles completed/29 miles planned...261.1 miles completed in training.
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: 4 miles
Friday: 8 miles
Sunday: 12 miles (Fall Classic Half Marathon)

Week 13 (11/19-11/25): 36 miles completed/36 miles planned...297.1 miles completed in training.
Monday: 4 miles
Tuesday: ST
Wednesday: 9 miles
Thursday: 5 miles (Turkey Trot Race)
Saturday: 18 miles

Week 14 (11/26-12/2): 33 miles completed/33 miles planned...330.1 miles completed in training.
Wednesday: 5 miles
Friday: 9 miles
Saturday: 14 miles
Sunday:Rest Day

Week 15 (12/3-12/9): 40 miles completed/40 miles planned...370.1 miles completed in training.
Friday: 10 miles
Sunday: 20 miles

Week 16 (12/10-12/16): 34 miles completed/34 miles planned...404.1 miles completed in training.
Monday: STRETCHFEST!
Friday: 14 miles
Saturday: 10 miles

Week 17 (12/17-12/23): 36 miles completed/40 miles planned...440.1 miles completed in training.
Monday: 5 miles
Wednesday: ST
Thursday: 10 miles
Friday: 20 miles (16 miles)

Week 18 (12/24-12/30): 29 miles completed/29 miles planned...469.1 miles completed in training.
Monday: 8 miles
Wednesday: Rest Day
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday: ST (75%)
Saturday: 12 miles

Week 19 (12/31-1/6): 21 miles completed/21 miles planned...490.1 miles completed in training.
Tuesday: 6 miles
Wednesday: ST (50%)
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: 4 miles
Saturday: yoga
Sunday: 8 miles

Week 20 (1/7-1/13):
Monday: STRETCHFEST!
Wednesday: yoga
Thursday: Rest Day/travel
Friday: WALT DISNEY WORLD 5K!
Saturday: WALT DISNEY WORLD HALF MARATHON!
Sunday: WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON!

Other Stuff

Non-running Trip Details: Resort and ADRs
Non-running Trip Details: A DISCOUNT...with a twist
Non-running Trip Details: Non-race things I'm looking forward to!
BIG TRIP UPDATE!!
The saga continues...

Training plan and race "strategy"
Surviving the Treadmill
Drying out wet running shoes
10 Running Things
Upcoming Non-Disney Races (?)
Thoughts at the Halfway Point
Teeny shopping update!
Two teeny trip updates
Packing...
2012 Running Year in Review
Disneyitis?
Disneyitis? - UPDATE
A Weight-y Issue...Running and Weight Loss
Why Run?

Running Stuff I like: Foam roller and (to a lesser extent) The Stick
Running Stuff I like: Hydration and Nutrition
Running Stuff I don't really like but do anyway: Ice Baths

Scouting the Courses: 2013 Walt Disney World 5K (January 11, 2013)
Scouting the Courses: 2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon (January 12, 2013), Part 1
Scouting the Courses: 2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon (January 12, 2013), Part 2
Scouting the Courses: 2013 Walt Disney World Marathon (January 13, 2013), Part 1
Scouting the Courses: 2013 Walt Disney World Marathon (January 13, 2013), Part 2
Scouting the Courses: 2013 Walt Disney World Marathon (January 13, 2013), Part 3

OMG you're going Dopey :cool1: DH and I are running the half marathon in January. It will be our 3rd half so I'm thinking we'll have to step up to at least the marathon if not Goofy for 2014.

To be honest though, looking ahead at marathon training plans makes me so scared! 20 mile long runs? Over 40 miles of running in one week :lmao: I know I need to just suck it up and do it but seriously that's a lot of work!

I'll absolutely be following your journey to Dopey this year!

LOL, I had not heard of the Dopey challenge (Goofy yes, but not Dopey).
Good luck.

OMG you're going Dopey :cool1: DH and I are running the half marathon in January. It will be our 3rd half so I'm thinking we'll have to step up to at least the marathon if not Goofy for 2014.

To be honest though, looking ahead at marathon training plans makes me so scared! 20 mile long runs? Over 40 miles of running in one week :lmao: I know I need to just suck it up and do it but seriously that's a lot of work!

I'll absolutely be following your journey to Dopey this year!

Woohoo, yay for running the half with your husband! :cool1: Will this be your first time doing a half at Disney?

I am with you on being a little scared of marathon plans...that's why I'm choosing not to look at the 40+ mile weeks right now! :eek: Ignorance is bliss, right?

Thanks for following along! :wave2:

LOL, I had not heard of the Dopey challenge (Goofy yes, but not Dopey).
Good luck.

:rotfl: I can't take credit for that one...but it makes sense, right? LOL!

Woohoo, yay for running the half with your husband! :cool1: Will this be your first time doing a half at Disney?

I am with you on being a little scared of marathon plans...that's why I'm choosing not to look at the 40+ mile weeks right now! :eek: Ignorance is bliss, right?

Thanks for following along! :wave2:

We did the Wine and Dine half last year as our first half marathon and it was so much fun! Now we're hooked on Disney races and we'll probably plan all of our trips around races now :rotfl2:

We did the Wine and Dine half last year as our first half marathon and it was so much fun! Now we're hooked on Disney races and we'll probably plan all of our trips around races now :rotfl2:

Lucky you! I would LOVE to do the W&D...some day I will make it happen!

I totally know what you mean about getting hooked on the Disney races and planning trips around them. I've been in that pattern now since 2011! :rotfl:

I am excited to follow along with this! I am doing my first half in a month, then I am going to do the Princess Half with my sister in Feb. I am so excited, but the training is not all that easy. Reading your marathon threads gives me inspiration!

I am excited to follow along with this! I am doing my first half in a month, then I am going to do the Princess Half with my sister in Feb. I am so excited, but the training is not all that easy. Reading your marathon threads gives me inspiration!

Welcome! Ooh, very exciting that you're doing your first half so soon! I have you have a great race! :goodvibes

You will LOVE the Princess Half. Seriously, such a fun race. I loved it!

I am subbing I m a beginnervrunner doing my first official run a 6k next month :yay:popcorn::

Thanks for joining in...good luck at your race! You'll have to let me know how it goes. :thumbsup2

Training plan and race “strategy”

Good morning!

Training starts TOMORROW! :yay: Woohoo! :hyper: It’s hard to believe I signed up for Goofy all the way back in April (just signed up for the 5K about a week ago)…and now it’s about time to get this show on the road! In case you can’t tell, I’m totally in that “yay training is about to begin, I’m so pumped, the race is almost here!” state of mind…I wonder how long that will last?! :scratchin

Like many on this board, I’m sure, I am a total OCD planner in many areas of my life, none more so than my 2 favorites – running and Disney. Marathon Weekend 2013 has been in the back of my mind since before I returned home from Marathon Weekend 2012, and I’ve been thinking about how to train all year. I’ve had my plan mapped out for a few weeks now in my running Google Doc where I keep track of all my mileage, times, etc. OCD-ers rule! :cheer2:

TrainingPlan.jpg

My training plan is listed in the Table of Contents post, and it’s pretty much Hal Higdon’s Novice 1 training plan with a couple of my own tweaks. I used a version of Novice 1 for the 2012 Marathon - the Novice Supreme edition - and liked it, so I figured I’d use it again. During training I don’t remember feeling super run down or like running was taking over my life, and I made it to the finish line of the marathon with a smile on my face. Sounds like a winner to me. I DID get injured twice during training, but they were not due to overuse (which is exactly what it sounds like, and is a common problem for runners). My injuries were to my back (from improper form while weightlifting) and my ankle (I rolled it and got a mild sprain), so I know that this plan can safely and effectively get me into marathon shape. :thumbsup2 I dig it.

One piece of advice I’ve heard from a few people that have gone Goofy already is to train for it just like you’d train for a marathon, so that’s pretty much what I’m going to do. I thought about picking a plan with more mileage – I think Hal Higdon’s Intermediate 2 plan is a popular one for Goofy training – but after looking at it – really, REALLY looking at it – it just stressed me out. I don’t want training to completely consume my life and I don’t want to be wiped out all the time. And if I’m being completely honest, a higher mileage plan with 5 days per week of running scares me. :eek: Go ahead and laugh…I’m not ashamed! Four days per week of running seems to be about perfect for me, which is one of the reasons I’m not using a Galloway plan.

Here are the small tweaks I mentioned above:

1. Moving the Thursday runs to Fridays and the Saturday runs to Sundays (just works better with my schedule)
2. Moving some of the now Sunday runs to Saturdays so that I’m running on back-to-back on Saturday and Sunday – simulating the Goofy Challenge (I plan on doing this no more than 5 times)
3. Adding 2 weeks into the plan so that the week of Christmas I’ll do back-to-back runs of 10 and 20 miles or 11 and 22 miles (I haven’t decided exactly how I want this to go yet)

In addition to this running schedule, I’m going to try really hard to stick with a strength training plan twice per week and yoga 1-2 times per week.

For the past few months I have been pretty good about using the IronStrength program from RunnersWorld.com. It’s a strength training program specifically for runners, and it has some lifting (using dumbbells), plyometrics, core stuff, etc. I can’t go as long as the guy in the video says to (if you can…wow! :thumbsup2 I’m impressed) so I just modify it so that the plan works for me. For example: instead of doing an exercise for 5-6 minutes as the video says, I do 2 sets of 10 of that exercise. It still leaves me with a solid, challenging 30-minute workout. And it’s helped my running a LOT – I definitely feel stronger, especially in my legs. I’d love to add a third day of IronStrength to my schedule, but I can’t find the time without giving up a rest day or doing it the same day as a running day, which I don’t want to do…so twice a week it is.

So IronStrength is going well…but I’m a BAD yogi. :guilty: We have classes for free at work and I can go during my lunch, but I skip a decent amount because I often “just don’t feel like it” (that is to say, I like to be lazy during lunchtime). Runner’s World says that yoga is great for runners since it helps build strength and flexibility and is an excellent stress reducer…it would only help me to go to class once in awhile. And oh yeah, did I mention I GET CLASSES FOR FREE AT WORK?! :rolleyes: I mean, seriously…I’d be dumb not to take advantage of such a great perk, especially something that I truly do enjoy and know will help my running. So yeah, 1-2 times per week is the goal. If…er, WHEN I do go it’ll be on the same days as strength training.

Other than that, I plan to drink a lot of water, try not to eat a lot of crap, and work on getting more sleep. The sleep thing will absolutely be my biggest hurdle...I am definitely going to work on that.

I know I won’t stick to this training plan 100%. Life is going to get in the way, I’ll most likely catch a cold here and there, and I may possibly get an injury (fingers crossed THAT doesn’t happen :scared1:). But I’m going to try super hard to follow this schedule I’ve set up for myself. If I can get to the starting line(s) healthy and in good enough shape to completely enjoy myself and not want to die during any of the races, I’ll consider my training successful. :woohoo:

As for my race “strategy”…there is none. I did submit a proof-of-time to Disney from my most recent 10-mile race (1:39ish) and hope to get a good corral assignment. I was in D last year with a 10-mile time of 1:54 submitted to Disney, so I’m hoping to stay in D or possibly move up to C. But that’s really all the strategizing I’ve done, if you could call it that. I know others out there don’t agree with this, but I feel like if I want to race for a PR (personal record) I can do that at home. If I’m running in Disney, I’m taking my sweet time and making sure I soak in all the sights and get as many character pictures as possible. :teeth: Heck, I may even walk the 5K. I don’t want to stay on my feet TOO long (especially for the half marathon with the full the next day), but as long as I beat the sweepers I’ll be happy. So if you’re looking for blazing fast speed, this is not the training pre-trip report for you. :lmao: As the kids say, sorry, I’m not sorry!

So I think that’s all my ramblings on my training plan…and now I’ll leave you with my current desktop wallpaper on my work computer. My MS Paint skills at work right here…woohoo! :woohoo:

dopey.jpg

I'll be back some time this week with non-running trip details and will post how Week 1 went over the weekend. Have a great week everyone! :wave:

Continued in Next Post

I am really looking forward to reading this! I am just starting to build mileage, so seeing your 11 and 20 mile runs back to back makes me feel so much better about my runs!!

I am really looking forward to reading this! I am just starting to build mileage, so seeing your 11 and 20 mile runs back to back makes me feel so much better about my runs!!

I'm glad someone feels good about seeing 11- and 20-milers on my schedule! :lmao: Happy running, I hope it's going well!

Bookmarked this thread! Loved your previous trip/race reports and can't wait to keep up with this one!

My WDW marathon training starts in two weeks!

Oooooookay, let's try to get caught up here, shall we? Just pretend like I actually posted these on the correct days...:upsidedow

Week 1: Strength training and yoga
Monday, August 27, 2012

0 miles completed/15 miles planned for the week
0 miles completed so far in training

Woohoo! Finally time to start training…slightly terrifying, yes (especially if I look at some of those weeks with total mileage in the high 30s and 40s…:eek: So I just won't look at those). But it also means that Marathon Weekend is that much closer! :hyper:

On the agenda for this morning – strength training. Before work I did the IronStrength (IS) workout from RunnersWorld.com. I felt pretty sluggish, which is par for the course on Monday mornings since I always have trouble falling asleep on Sunday nights. BUT, I did add 5 seconds to each of my side planks – 40 seconds per side! :cool1: *flex* I’ve been stuck at 50 seconds for the regular center plank for quite a while and don’t see that changing any time soon…SO difficult. I really should do these more often.

And BIG NEWS: I WENT TO YOGA TODAY. :eek: Totally shocking! It was a good class over my lunch hour – today’s focus was on the 7th chakra (the crown of the head), focusing on thought and consciousness. Supposedly if your 7th chakra is excessive you’re an over-thinker (i.e. ME :wave2:)…if it’s deficient you have trouble thinking for yourself. :scratchin Interesting! Two things about today’s class: 1.) I was totally out of yoga shape, having not gone to class in probably 4-6 weeks. :rolleyes1 No surprise there! And 2.) Since we were focusing on the 7th chakra, we ended class sitting in meditation instead of shavasana (corpse pose), the usual final pose and my total favorite:

savasana_248.jpg

(source)

WAHH! The one pose I’m good at! :rotfl:

Seriously though…my legs were super tight today and the stretching felt good. It’s really surprising how much flexibility I’ve lost over the past month. I really need to go more often! ::yes::

Also, I texted my brother in the evening and said something like "First training run tomorrow!" Perhaps he'd take the hint that he too should start training?! :scratchin He came back with "Woot!! I should start soon." ::yes:: Yes, yes you should!

Continued in Next Post

Week 1: Run #1 (3 miles on the treadmill)
Tuesday, August 28, 2012

3 miles completed/15 miles planned for the week
3 miles completed so far in training

First official training run, and boy was it exciting…3 miles on the treadmill! :crazy2: Total time for the run was 29:56 (9:59ish pace) and I listened to the Muppet Vision 3D area music loop on my iPod…which was okay to run to, but not great. Still, a wonderful start to the day, and now I have Muppet music in my head!

Continued in Next Post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter