In Training: Marathon Weekend 2013 (Dopey Challenge)! 1/17 - LINK TO TRIP REPORT!

Why run?

Okay, so before I get into some deep thoughts :rolleyes2 I want to first say THANK YOU. If you've taken the time to look at this little journal of mine, you've helped keep me accountable and I am very grateful for that. If you've commented...you're awesome. I so appreciate the encouragement, support and good luck wishes that I have gotten here. It's really helped me a lot over the past few months.

Group hug, all. :grouphug: Excuse me, I seem to have something in my eyes...they feel a little watery...:eek: Just kidding. :p

Anyway, Marathon Weekend officially begins tomorrow. This is what I've been working toward for the last (almost) 20 weeks. The early morning treadmill runs before work, slogging it out on the streets of my town for double-digit long runs in sub-freezing temperatures, battling through wind, rain and snow, attempting (and failing) to regularly go to yoga classes and awkwardly struggling to complete burpees and planks have all come down to this.

I wasn't a runner in high school and it's not like I'm going to win any of these Disney races (or, let's be honest, any races at all)...so why do it? Why run, anyway?

Heres my take on it...and feel free to roll your eyes all you want. I found I really had trouble putting this into words:

1. I run because it benefits my health - I can breathe better (not that I ever had breathing issues in the past, but I definitely find that I can breathe deeper and more, I don't know, smoothly? Hooray for being in good cardiovascular shape! :thumbsup2) and it helps my back (which I have a nasty habit of injuring) feel better.

2. I run because it gives me extra energy and better sleep.

3. I run because setting a goal to run a bit faster or a bit longer and then achieving that goal gives me a lot of pride. Even just finishing my runs as scheduled makes me feel very accomplished.

4. I run because I like racing its exciting!

5. Related to #4 above...as silly as it is, I run because I like getting finisher medals and t-shirts!

photo.JPG

L-R 2009 Akron Marathon Relay (10K portion), 2010 Cleveland 10-miler, 2011 Princess Half Marathon, 2011 Cleveland 10-miler, 2011 Cleveland Half Marathon, 2011 Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon, 2012 Walt Disney World Marathon, 2012 Cleveland 10-miler, 2012 Cleveland Half Marathon, and 2012 Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon

6. I run because I love the running community - so supportive and encouraging.

7. I run because it's ME time. I can get out and just think.

8. I run because it (along with healthy eating) helps me maintain my weight loss.

9. I run because it makes me feel good! This is something thats only happened in the past year...running just relaxes me and is a great stress release.

10. I run because it makes me sweat and it makes my heart pump...it just makes me feel alive.

11. I run because it's challenging...and I like a challenge. I am by no means a "natural" runner - I have had to be disciplined and really work to get to where I am now (and there's still room for improvement). I like thinking about my current running habits (consistently running 4 days per week and almost always "In Training" for something) compared to my running habits 5 years ago (what running habits? I didn't run then...in fact I never wanted to run unless I was being chased) and I remember how much I hated running in PE class in middle school and high school. The day we were scheduled to "run the mile" was the WORST. Now a mile is just a warm-up.

12. I run because I can. I am lucky to be strong and healthy enough to even be physically able to run...this was really driven home for me last year when Will was having health issues. He couldn't do ANYTHING - he wasn't even able to take the dog out. It really made me re-evaluate things and I certainly do not take my good health (or his - so glad he's better!) for granted.

13. I run because my legs and butt totally look better now. HOORAY VANITY! :teeth:

14. I run because that means I can do Disney races!!!

15. And most importantly of all...and I never, EVER thought I would say this...I run because I like it. Yes, I said it: I like to run. If I couldn't truthfully say this, I would hang up the running shoes and quit. Because why run if I hate it? For me, that's not an issue...I'm a runner and I just like running too much to stop.

I am so very excited to run races #20 (the WDW5K - my seventh 5K and first ever at Disney), #21 (the WDW Half - my sixth half marathon and second ever at Disney) and #22 (the WDW Marathon - for the second year in a row!). And I'm also looking forward to re-living the weekend in trip report form, of course. :thumbsup2

Thanks again for following along! :wave:

dopey.jpg

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Im going to Disney TOMORROW! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

Honestly, that little dog is just the cutest thing ever!

Great job on all the training and great luck (to both of us!) in the race!!! It's almost here!!! :cool1:

I think so too! But I may be a little biased. ;)

Good luck!!! I hope you and your husband have a wonderful time. You have been so inspiring to me (and others on the WISH boards as well)...you will do great. And I wish you the best of luck with your health as well. :hug:

I haven't read your journal yet but I can't wait to!

Where do you train? My friend and I are running the Princess Half next month. We train on the Towpath Trail - mostly in Akron. We are also running the inaugural Rock and Roll Half in Cleveland in October.

Best wishes to you this weekend!

Best of luck this weekend! I'll be thinking of you!

Thanks Amanda! It's almost time for your trip!! :)

I haven't read your journal yet but I can't wait to!

Where do you train? My friend and I are running the Princess Half next month. We train on the Towpath Trail - mostly in Akron. We are also running the inaugural Rock and Roll Half in Cleveland in October.

Best wishes to you this weekend!

Hi! I'm more in the Cleveland area, but I know just where you are talking about - have you ever done any of the Towpath races or the Akron half/full?

Good luck with the rest of your training, and have a fabulous time at the Princess Half!

Challenge Completed!

Well, it was a hot, tiring, way-too-quick weekend...but I did it! :yay:

edited-0192.jpg

edited-0194.jpg

In a nutshell, I'm glad I did it once, but I don't think I would do all three races again. Waking up so early 3 days in a row was not fun, and I got barely any park time during the trip, despite the fact that I was in Disney for 5 days. I am definitely, without a doubt ready for a few non-race trips, as 3 of my last 4 Disney trips have been centered around some kind of race (or races, as the case may be)...

edited-0573.jpg

...but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about Goofy in 2015. It is the 10th anniversary, after all. ;)

And with that, I'm off to get ready for my first post-Marathon Weekend run. Constantly In Training!

Thanks again for following along, and I'll see ya real soon! :wave:

:yay: Look at all that bling! Congratulations on such a huge accomplishment! Are you going to do a TR about the weekend? ;)

I'm so glad you did it!! We finished the half marathon and loved it!!! You were right it was so much better than the tower of terror race!! My husband has convinced me to do goofy next year! He saw all the people with their medals and got super jealous and motivated so we will be going goofy in 2014!!! My favorite picture was jack and Sally!!! I can't wait for your trip report!! I want to know which characters you got during the marathon!!!

:yay: Look at all that bling! Congratulations on such a huge accomplishment! Are you going to do a TR about the weekend? ;)

Thanks so much! How did the race go for you?

Yep, definitely going to do a report. I will post the link in a minute! :)

I'm so glad you did it!! We finished the half marathon and loved it!!! You were right it was so much better than the tower of terror race!! My husband has convinced me to do goofy next year! He saw all the people with their medals and got super jealous and motivated so we will be going goofy in 2014!!! My favorite picture was jack and Sally!!! I can't wait for your trip report!! I want to know which characters you got during the marathon!!!

Ahhh, GREAT! I'm so glad you guys loved the half marathon! And hey, congrats on going Goofy...I am living proof that it is totally possible! You won't regret it...there's nothing quite like getting that Goofy medal. :teeth:

Congratulations on your great accomplishment!

Thank you so much! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!