I'm freaking out... leaving Sat with 5 and almost 2 yo...

The leash is awesome :) My SIL brought one for my 3 year old niece and it was super helpful on occasion. We didn't use it all the time but at certain times, it just helped so much.

The leash is awesome :) My SIL brought one for my 3 year old niece and it was super helpful on occasion. We didn't use it all the time but at certain times, it just helped so much.

That's good to hear! I wasn't sure how it'd go. I know they're kind of controversial but I figured I'd take the judgement to make sure my dad doesn't lose my kid :rotfl2:. I also got the wrist cuff one so it doesn't look as much like he's walking a dog and more like he's just trying to keep a hold of a crazy almost-2 year old. My parents only had me and I was relatively calm. Their minds are blown by my little terror most of the time, especially because the older one is so different! Thank you!

That's good to hear! I wasn't sure how it'd go. I know they're kind of controversial but I figured I'd take the judgement to make sure my dad doesn't lose my kid :rotfl2:. I also got the wrist cuff one so it doesn't look as much like he's walking a dog and more like he's just trying to keep a hold of a crazy almost-2 year old. My parents only had me and I was relatively calm. Their minds are blown by my little terror most of the time, especially because the older one is so different! Thank you!

We have a “puppy book bag” for our 2 year old, we embrace the irony. There are judgmental looks sometimes, but they normally come from people who obliviously don’t have kids.

We, actually, frequently are asked by other parents where we got it so they can buy one.

My kid is safe and that’s what matters. It’s not the judgmental person’s responsibility to keep my kid out of the road or from darting off, so I don’t care about their opinion.

We have a “puppy book bag” for our 2 year old, we embrace the irony. There are judgmental looks sometimes, but they normally come from people who obliviously don’t have kids.

We, actually, frequently are asked by other parents where we got it so they can buy one.

My kid is safe and that’s what matters. It’s not the judgmental person’s responsibility to keep my kid out of the road or from darting off, so I don’t care about their opinion.

Yep, as far as I am concerned, the priority is keeping the child safe. Actually, I find the leash gives kids a bit more freedom. They can move an extra foot or two and don't always have to be clutching an adult's hand.

My daughter liked it when she was 2 because she didn't have to stretch her little arm up to reach my hand for so long. It was more comfortable for her.

My niece pretty much ignored it and never complained when she reached "the end of her tether" lol.

If you have a child who can get distracted and dart away, it is an invaluable tool. Especially for grandparents. I didn't need it often for my two kids because they generally glued themselves to my side. I used it a few times in busy places like festivals just to be safe. And when I was heavily pregnant with my son, I used it with my toddler daughter because I couldn't chase after her and I knew that could be dangerous on a street with cars around. She wasn't prone to running from me but u never know with toddlers and it was better to be safe than sorry. Less stressful for me too.

I'm a Disney vet but more up until say, 2012. A lot has changed in the last 7 years and now I've got kids. I took DS5 when he was 2 (almost 3) and now he'll be almost 6. He's over the moon to go, and understands what it means to go now. DS1 is going to be 2 at the end of the month and he's literally a TERROR. I wasn't planning on him being a terror when I booked this trip 11 months ago. ODS was pretty chill to lead throughout the parks 3 years ago. Now he's tall enough to ride most rides but is a scaredy cat. I'm getting SO nervous. Will I forget something important? Do I have the sound machines packed? Enough diapers? Did I order all the snacks we'll want? What if I forget sunscreen and then have to spend $50 at the gift shop on it? What if he's meltdown city every day?

Tell me it will be OK. Tell me things that helped you with terrible 2 toddlers. He wants to do everything his brother does. I have a double stroller because I didn't want to worry if DS5 got tired. We're doing the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party (on mother's day!) and Chef Mickey's. Staying at BLT.

What can I NOT forget?

You will be FINE!!!

Few things:

Amazon Prime will deliver you diapers (and anything else in this world) should you run short. If you are in a park and running short, go to the Baby Care Center. They have them there. I had to do that TWICE when my younger son decided to have explosive diarrhea for a few days.

Sunscreen is like $11. We forgot it in February and I had to run to the gift shop at AoA (we were staying at Pop and they were out...because EVERYONE forgot sunscreen in Feb). I was shocked it was so cheap.

There are apps for sound machines AND you can request a box fan from housekeeping. All good.

If he has a meltdown, put him in the stroller with a snack, cool drink, and go sit on a quiet path for a bit or in a non-stimulating area. Go watch ducks or look at something colorful.

I promise - it will be A-OK. I have been there, survived, and loved it :)

Well DS1 called 9-1-1 about 15 minutes after we got in the room. :scared: Police response is pretty good and the general manager at BLT is very sweet. :lovestruc The hole that Grandpa was hoping would open up in the floor and swallow him whole didn't show up.

In other news I haven't found anything critical yet that I forgot other than autograph books and we already bought replacements.

Well DS1 called 9-1-1 about 15 minutes after we got in the room. :scared: Police response is pretty good and the general manager at BLT is very sweet. :lovestruc The hole that Grandpa was hoping would open up in the floor and swallow him whole didn't show up.

In other news I haven't found anything critical yet that I forgot other than autograph books and we already bought replacements.
Sounds like the good times have already begun:D. Can't what until your trip return to find out the back story on GrandPa, the Alice in Wonderland hole that didn't appear on schedule and the police, LOL.

Keep your sense of humor and have fun.

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Forgetting autograph books, as you already figured out, no big deal. Easy to replace. I repeatedly forgot hats for years...we own a lot of Disney hats now. Worst I ever forgot...DD's Pink Bear. She never sleeps without Pink Bear. Luckily it was a 2 night trip to Boston not a week long Disney trip, but we bought a LOT of pink stuffed animals that trip. More than 5 years later, she still brings it up(and brings Pink Bear) every trip.

Have fun! You've got enough adults. Don't be afraid to divide & conquer!

Well DS1 called 9-1-1 about 15 minutes after we got in the room. :scared: Police response is pretty good and the general manager at BLT is very sweet. :lovestruc The hole that Grandpa was hoping would open up in the floor and swallow him whole didn't show up

ROFL!!! Can't wait to hear about all the memories you will make on your trip!!!

Hopefully you got the drama out of the way early and it’s smooth touring from here on out! Have a great trip!

We went last year when my DD was 2... she was also a bit of a terror at that stage. I won't lie, it wasn't easy at points. We had to redo all our plans but bc we did that, and went with HER flow, we had a great time. So for example, when I booked the trip **I** assumed we'd go in the morning, stay until 12/1, and return to the parks after naps.... or not at all.

Well, she was so overstimulated that she couldn't handle the 8am-12/1 stretch... so we'd get to rope drop (which was around 8/9 each day) and leave the park by 10:30... then we'd return to the park around 4. Now, it kind of stunk bc we weren't getting a lot of time in the park, but it made her happy and allowed us to have nice evenings in the park, she'd get a good nap and one of us would take our son to the pool.

The good news is we went two weeks ago and she was 3.5 and AWESOME. So hopefully it's a short lived phase for you too lol.

Just breath and relax! Don't worry or over think. I have DS10 and DD18 months. She began fit throwing a couple of months ago before our last trip. That was her fifth trip to Disney, and before this past trip, it had been pretty easy with both children. I made 3 of the five trips since she was born without DH. I packed what I thought I needed...as in what I use everyday for DD....yes I overpacked, but better have it than to not! I also severely have limited our in park time each day since DD was born. With just DS it was easy, but with both I limited it to a few hours right after breakfast then left an hour before DD regular naptime. I kept DD on her at home schedule ( naps, meals bedtime.) It kind of is a let down not getting to participate in everything like we used to, but with a new child you have to adjust. If your youngest has a meltdown, sit in the shade until he's done. You won't be able to go as if it were only DS6, you will have to go slow, let DS2 explore not on rides,( just wander). Very different kind of Disney trip....but, it's still fun. Have a great trip!

I'm a Grandparent. Heck, I'm a Great-Grandparent. Let me offer you some sage advice. At that age your children will be overwhelmed with all of the sights and sounds. There is just too much to do in any given day so set your goals thusly. If the ride has a long wait and you don't have a fast pass-keep walking. They are young, probably don't even realize the ride is right there and if you are as good a parent as I think you are, there will be more trips in your and their future to experiance all the rides. Secong, take a break from the park. 4-5 hours at any park is long enough. Head back to the hotel (hopefully you are staying on-site) and cool off in the pools, take a nap, etc. In the cooler part of the evening go back and start off where you left off, having fun. The youngest my grandkids were when we went with them was 11 months, 3 years and 4 years old. We went for 7 days. Believe me, the afternoon siestas saved us all. Make sure they are well fed and hydrated and before you enter the park-get a map. Nothing beats knowing where all the bathrooms are. Above all just slow down and have fun. When they get older you can run around trying to do it all. This is your chance to take it easy and watch those happy little faces light up. Enjoy.

Distraction is awesome. I bought my niece a Mickey bubble wand in the park. Best $20 ever! Everytime we needed her to move on somewhere, we'd blow some bubbles and she would magically turn and follow.

At that time, she was obsessed with swimming and would throw a tantrum when leaving the pool. Not a problem when she was entranced following a trail of bubbles back to the hotel room!

I really hope she wasn't just doing bubbles willy nilly. Some people don't want bubble spots on their clothes, some are sensitive to such, etc. I really don't like bubbles in the park. It can ruin our day.

Another for you can buy it if you need it. Ya'll will have a blast! I brought a 2 yo last year and he loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter