I'm freaking out... leaving Sat with 5 and almost 2 yo...

KarenAylwood

<font color=red>It wouldn't be the holidays withou
I'm a Disney vet but more up until say, 2012. A lot has changed in the last 7 years and now I've got kids. I took DS5 when he was 2 (almost 3) and now he'll be almost 6. He's over the moon to go, and understands what it means to go now. DS1 is going to be 2 at the end of the month and he's literally a TERROR. I wasn't planning on him being a terror when I booked this trip 11 months ago. ODS was pretty chill to lead throughout the parks 3 years ago. Now he's tall enough to ride most rides but is a scaredy cat. I'm getting SO nervous. Will I forget something important? Do I have the sound machines packed? Enough diapers? Did I order all the snacks we'll want? What if I forget sunscreen and then have to spend $50 at the gift shop on it? What if he's meltdown city every day?

Tell me it will be OK. Tell me things that helped you with terrible 2 toddlers. He wants to do everything his brother does. I have a double stroller because I didn't want to worry if DS5 got tired. We're doing the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party (on mother's day!) and Chef Mickey's. Staying at BLT.

What can I NOT forget?

On the not to forget list:

Any medications you cannot easily get (ie prescription meds), debit / credit cards, ID, insurance cards, cell phone. Also remember your magic bands :)

For everything else, you will live if you have to get it but it will be something you can get (even technically your debit / credit card can be canceled and overnighted to you if needed)...

My point is to relax and realize that for every forgotten item there is a solution. Sometimes an expensive solution but a solution. With that said - if you haven’t already - make a list of items, check the list off as you pack them and if time permits double check prior to leaving. And if you forget something remember it’s not the end of the world.

As for the terrible twos... good luck and remember there will be fun times and melt downs, it’s part of the age bracket you are dealing with. But there will be fun times - and in the end those are what you normally remember anyway! Have fun!

Pack a thermometer, and any kids meds they might need. Bandaids. Any comfort items for bedtime. A second pair of shoes for each kid. One of those sippy cup straps so that you can attach a water bottle or cup to the stroller and you won’t lose it when he throws it. Ziploc bags. Hand sanitizer

Hand cleaning wipes! My kids always wanted to touch everything. I wipe hands as often as I can. They also work for wiping down table tops at quick service restaurants when we sit down.

We also pack small “surprises “ just in case the crankies hit. Little toys, favorite snacks, glow bracelets...

Honestly, I'm always in the camp of the only things i can't forget are my ID, way to pay for stuff (credit/debit) and my kid. Everything else can be obtained. Will it be pricy, possibly. Inconvenient, definitely.
If you have another adult with you and your younger son is being a monster, trade off as to who stays with the older son and who wrangles the toddler monster.

Your biggest issue might be with the transportation, especially buses, folding the stroller and hanging on to a toddler, plus belongings. Double strollers can be hard to handle by themselves. If possible, I would drive my personal vehicle to each destination.

Could you possibly bring another adult with you? It won't be easy alone, but you know what you are able to handle.

Oh and embrace your two year old's craziness and go with the flow. If u focus too much on the perfect trip, you might lose the magic of the trip you are on. Focus on what your kids enjoy and don't worry about the must-do list. Sometimes the must do is spending 30 mins staring at ducks in Magic Kingdom (I have to admit - this one was a bit rough on me lol!)

We took my 3 year old niece a couple of years ago. She exhausted us all after two weeks. But man...seeing her excitement and her joy was worth it all.

I took both my boys at 2 and I found that being in a different environment compared to the day to day that they are used to kept them busy and on their toes so the temper tantrums weren't nearly as bad. Consider starting off with some easy rides like small world if you think he will be scared of the rides. I would also recommend observing characters from afar and easing into getting closer if you think that will intimidate him. I found that when I had my 2.5 year old and my 5.5 year old there together last summer, my younger one really followed the lead of my oldest which helped for the most part. I would go into each day knowing that you might need to be a little flexible. I always kept fruit snacks and dum dum suckers in my back pack for a last resort when I needed a quick bribe. Follow your kids lead and take a break for a cold drink in the air conditioning or know when its time to pack it up and leave for a nap or pool time too. You will have a great time if you go in with lower expectations and walk away feeling like you accomplished alot more.

I'm a Disney vet but more up until say, 2012. A lot has changed in the last 7 years and now I've got kids. I took DS5 when he was 2 (almost 3) and now he'll be almost 6. He's over the moon to go, and understands what it means to go now. DS1 is going to be 2 at the end of the month and he's literally a TERROR. I wasn't planning on him being a terror when I booked this trip 11 months ago. ODS was pretty chill to lead throughout the parks 3 years ago. Now he's tall enough to ride most rides but is a scaredy cat. I'm getting SO nervous. Will I forget something important? Do I have the sound machines packed? Enough diapers? Did I order all the snacks we'll want? What if I forget sunscreen and then have to spend $50 at the gift shop on it? What if he's meltdown city every day?

Tell me it will be OK. Tell me things that helped you with terrible 2 toddlers. He wants to do everything his brother does. I have a double stroller because I didn't want to worry if DS5 got tired. We're doing the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party (on mother's day!) and Chef Mickey's. Staying at BLT.

What can I NOT forget?

I really would encourage you to not stress about things you might possibly forget. Honestly, I consider random expenses for forgotten/unanticipated items on vacation just part of the cost of having children.

I would focus on packing the items you use in your day to day life. Once those are all set, branch out to the items you know you use for bigger outings to the beach/zoo/local theme park, etc.

It’s great to get an idea of what would be useful to pack for your trip, I just wouldn’t obsess over it. We’ve left behind the carefully packed “diaper box (wipes, diaper cream, overnights, etc.),” everyone survived. We had what was in the diaper bag and caddy, and bought the rest. We found out on the road in the middle of nowhere when we really needed it too, lol.

We took my son days before he turned 2. Try to relax and not let the worry get to you. One of the biggest lifesavers we brought was a thin receiving blanket. It had so many uses on the trip! We used it to drape over the stroller when he took naps to keep out the sun (as most canopies don't cover a lot). It became a makeshift towel when he ran through the fountains. One day, we wet it in a cup of ice water and rubbed him down to keep him cool. Not at Disney, but I remember one time tying a receiving blanket into a makeshift onesie after my son had soaked through all his extra clothes.

At Disney, he was also in a phase of taking off his shoes in the stroller and throwing them. The first couple days at Disney we were constantly backtracking to look for a missing shoe. Finally, I just took his shoes off whenever he was in the stroller.

I'd also recommend carrying a small bag with a diaper and wipes (we used a small crossbody backpack) wherever you go, including on rides. You can keep extras in the stroller, but carrying one with you will likely come in handy when he needs a diaper the second you're off a ride/out of a show so you don't have to backtrack to the stroller.

Have something bright on the stroller to identify it from the masses in stroller parking. Some people tie a bright ribbon or out a piece of colored duct tape on the handle. We used the like green gate check tag from our flight and it worked well (we flew with Spirit- I don't know what sort of tags other airlines use).

Take time to play and let him run around a bit. In MK, take advantage of the play areas at Dumbo and near Splash Mountain. In Epcot, the Imagination Pavilion and Seas aquarium. Some of the trails in AK are good for running around.

Distraction techniques will help when waiting in lines. See if you can point out any hidden Mickeys or other unique things in the lines. My son was obsessed with the light fixtures in various queues.

Good luck on your trip!

Distraction techniques will help when waiting in lines. See if you can point out any hidden Mickeys or other unique things in the lines. My son was obsessed with the light fixtures in various queues.

Good luck on your trip!

Distraction is awesome. I bought my niece a Mickey bubble wand in the park. Best $20 ever! Everytime we needed her to move on somewhere, we'd blow some bubbles and she would magically turn and follow.

At that time, she was obsessed with swimming and would throw a tantrum when leaving the pool. Not a problem when she was entranced following a trail of bubbles back to the hotel room!

You can do this! I agree with others... if you forget something you will be ok. I usually make a checklist to help. As I go through my day I add things we are using. But then I try to be realistic about what we truly NEED and focus on making sure those things make it.
I have taken my strong willed little guy to Disneyland at 2. I found that snacks, distractions, and the stroller really made the day much easier than expected. If he was getting upset about something and I just kept pushing him in the stroller he had so much to look at he quickly forgot about whatever was about to cause a tantrum. I also would bring out little snacks when the crankiness was starting.
I found that it helped to tell my little guy what the plan was ... for example “we are taking a big boat and then we will wait in line to get in... we need to wait in the line and then we can go on the Winnie the Pooh ride” etc. At 2 they often understand more than we give them credit for. I was surprised how well he waited when I told him what to expect. Then i just tried to find anything interesting to point out and pass the time.
You are all going to have a great time! Enjoy the memory making and the craziness of this age!

5 years ago, we took our almost 2 year old along with her 7 year old sister. 7yo did a lot of things that 2yo sister could not, but we made it work.

I have a fabulous memory of our 2yo dancing at Animal Kingdom with a roving parade like block party (I don't know if they do this still). It was great. Seek out the fountain areas, or splash pad places as those will be hits. We also spent a lot of time in the Nemo/Living Seas looking at all the aquariums and the colourful fish. It's also a great place to beat the heat and hide from the sun, or wait out a thunderstorm. So, don't do it too early in the day at Epcot if you can help it.

Relax and don't forget to take breaks. At BLT you will be able to make it back to your room/pool for a mid day nap/swim as needed (at MK) and a short-ish double monorail trip to/from Epcot, so at least for those parks you will not be struggling with a double stroller on a bus.

I used to worry about "Did we forget something" a long time ago. But then it nearly dawned on me like a light bulb...we're going to Kissimmee, Florida not the depths of the jungles of Africa. If we forget sunscreen, there are endless places to buy it. If you have a car or transportation, there are a million CVS/Walgreens, etc...nearby that charge the same prices they do at home. If not, the stores in WDW will have it. Sure, you may pay $10 for a bottle instead of $7 (and I'm super cheap), but so what? A few extra dollars isn't worth stressing over on vacation. If the gift stores don't have what you need, there are easy ways to get it....even if you have to use Uber to the nearest Wal-Mart.

If your 2 year old has meltdowns, he won't be the first or last to have that happen. Go with the flow. He won't be able to do everything big brother does, and that's fine.

Really no big deal whatsoever.

Your biggest issue might be with the transportation, especially buses, folding the stroller and hanging on to a toddler, plus belongings. Double strollers can be hard to handle by themselves. If possible, I would drive my personal vehicle to each destination.

Could you possibly bring another adult with you? It won't be easy alone, but you know what you are able to handle.

I should have mentioned DH and Grandma and Grandpa are coming too. Gma & Gpa aren't as great of a help as others but they are at least there for moral support. DH will wrangle the stroller. I even bought a little wrist leash for the 2 year old because my dad almost lost my older DS when he bolted at MK while my DH, Gma and I were on Seven Dwarfs. Note to self: remember the leash.

Oh and embrace your two year old's craziness and go with the flow. If u focus too much on the perfect trip, you might lose the magic of the trip you are on. Focus on what your kids enjoy and don't worry about the must-do list. Sometimes the must do is spending 30 mins staring at ducks in Magic Kingdom (I have to admit - this one was a bit rough on me lol!)

We took my 3 year old niece a couple of years ago. She exhausted us all after two weeks. But man...seeing her excitement and her joy was worth it all.

When we took DS at 3 I had no idea what to expect but since I'd been so many times I made sure not to stress about needing to do ALL THE THINGS because we were focused on him. Now the older one can do a lot more rides so I think that's one reason I'm more nervous about the little one. We only had about two instances last time where we did rider swap on an "adult" ride. I know what you mean about a 3 year old's excitement- not much matches it. :lovestruc

I took both my boys at 2 and I found that being in a different environment compared to the day to day that they are used to kept them busy and on their toes so the temper tantrums weren't nearly as bad. Consider starting off with some easy rides like small world if you think he will be scared of the rides. I would also recommend observing characters from afar and easing into getting closer if you think that will intimidate him. I found that when I had my 2.5 year old and my 5.5 year old there together last summer, my younger one really followed the lead of my oldest which helped for the most part. I would go into each day knowing that you might need to be a little flexible. I always kept fruit snacks and dum dum suckers in my back pack for a last resort when I needed a quick bribe. Follow your kids lead and take a break for a cold drink in the air conditioning or know when its time to pack it up and leave for a nap or pool time too. You will have a great time if you go in with lower expectations and walk away feeling like you accomplished alot more.

FRUIT SNACKS!!! YES! Ok. Note to self: remember the fruit snacks & dum dums.

We took my son days before he turned 2. Try to relax and not let the worry get to you. One of the biggest lifesavers we brought was a thin receiving blanket. It had so many uses on the trip! We used it to drape over the stroller when he took naps to keep out the sun (as most canopies don't cover a lot). It became a makeshift towel when he ran through the fountains. One day, we wet it in a cup of ice water and rubbed him down to keep him cool. Not at Disney, but I remember one time tying a receiving blanket into a makeshift onesie after my son had soaked through all his extra clothes.

At Disney, he was also in a phase of taking off his shoes in the stroller and throwing them. The first couple days at Disney we were constantly backtracking to look for a missing shoe. Finally, I just took his shoes off whenever he was in the stroller.

I'd also recommend carrying a small bag with a diaper and wipes (we used a small crossbody backpack) wherever you go, including on rides. You can keep extras in the stroller, but carrying one with you will likely come in handy when he needs a diaper the second you're off a ride/out of a show so you don't have to backtrack to the stroller.

Have something bright on the stroller to identify it from the masses in stroller parking. Some people tie a bright ribbon or out a piece of colored duct tape on the handle. We used the like green gate check tag from our flight and it worked well (we flew with Spirit- I don't know what sort of tags other airlines use).

Take time to play and let him run around a bit. In MK, take advantage of the play areas at Dumbo and near Splash Mountain. In Epcot, the Imagination Pavilion and Seas aquarium. Some of the trails in AK are good for running around.

Good luck on your trip!

Thank you! We have a bunch of thin receiving blankets I haven't used in a while. Great idea. Same with the stroller identification item. Last time my parents had some trouble when they had to find the stroller in the sea of strollers. That's a good idea too.

Thank you all for the comments and words of wisdom! I feel more nervous with two than I did bringing one the first time. These posts have definitely helped. Making a list now...

What can I NOT forget?

My son was a nightmare from the time he was 18 months to 3 yrs old and his first trip was when he was just over 2 and I swear that he had never been better behaved than he was at Disney. I don’t know if it was just all the sights and sounds but he was in awe the entire time and it somehow calmed him. He was much more content in the stroller just taking it all in than he usually was and even napped really well every day from 1-3 which he NEVER did at home. We did still make sure to let him run and play in the various kid areas and we usually didn’t go from open to close. We’d ether got in a little later and stay until close or get there at opens and leave after dinner. We always go for a week though so never felt like we were missing anything.

What can I NOT forget?
It will be OK.
I don't know which resort you are staying at but all the ones I have offer a 3.5 oz bottle of Coppertone 50 SPF either found in the bathroom with other toiletries or just ask Housekeeping; same for mosquito repellent wipes. I'm amazed at the breadth of toiletries offered at Disney and thank them for preventing me from carrying more than deodorant and my specialty face washing stuff. Opens up a lot of space in the suitcase. You might want to consider using your cell phone to replace least one of your sleeping machines. Lot's of apps online as well as programs you don't have to download on youtube. You can charge you batteries simultaneously since most rooms have multiple charging ports. Since you are traveling as a solo caretaker this is not the time to overload on more stuff than you can keep your eyes on or carry.

One of my sons went through his second year "gracefully"; the other didn't. You probably know your LO's triggers by now so use the knowledge to keep him even tempered. Is he a regular and steady napper still? Does he need his meals at specific times? Stick to his regular schedules and try not to deviate.

Have a good time and enjoy the little moments:).

It will be ok!!! I have two boys also. They turn 2 and 4 this summer and we have been to Disney a bunch of times at different ages. My kids are generally better behaved at Disney than at home. Why? Because they aren't bored. There's always something interesting to do and look at. I have tons of toys for them, etc. at home but those things just don't hold their attention like the Little Mermaid ride lol. Definitely bring changes of clothes to the parks and a bag to put soiled clothes into. A change in footwear is also a good idea because the downpours can be intense and walking around in soaking wet sneakers and socks is no fun. Bring ponchos and cover your stroller!!!! We once went into the Mexico pavilion under perfectly clear skies and came out to the most torrential downpour ever. The stroller got soaking wet and carrying your 2-year-old will be NO fun for any length of time. Your LO will be no worse behaved than at home in all likelihood. I'm sure he'll have his moments, as all kids do, but at least you'll be in Disney and can distract him from any tantrums! I will be going back with my boys the week of their 2nd and 4th birthdays and I can't wait! My older DS will also be old enough to try some big kid rides this time... we'll see how it goes. He can be timid as well. Have a great trip!

My only advice on what not to forget is don't forget to enjoy your trip!!! If your little one has a meltdown so be it. I can guarantee you that he will not be the only kid throwing a tantrum while you are there. Kids have a way of knowing when a parent is stressed which can only cause more stress. If you run out of something and don't want to pay WDW's crazy prices take a UBER to Walmart. Enjoy your special Mother's Day, I can't think of a better place to celebrate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter