If you don't get connecting rooms...

BraveLittleToaster2

DIS Veteran
I am booking two moderate rooms and requesting connecting for my family of 5.

If we do NOT get connecting rooms what do you think is our best recourse?

We could either take rooms separate and I stay in one with some kids while my husband is in a different room with a kid too. OR we could just refuse the second room and all try to fit into one room. My kids are 13, 10, and 3 Incase it matters.

Which would you do or have you done when u didn't get your request?? Just trying to prepare ahead of time. Resort is POR.

Yes, one is a boy and one is a girl. They have shared a bed before on vacation. One sleeps in a sleeping bag on the bed, the other in it. But I wonder if 5 people and all the luggage would be tight in one room.

Only CBR and POR will allow 5 in the room so first I would plan on booking there.

On chance you don't get connecting, to prepare, pack as if you will be split up so no hassle on shifting clothes.

With that family size and ages I would keep 2 rooms and ask to at least be near each other, even if it means moving rooms later.

Also. Would that be too last minute to cancel the second room without paying?

I believe that Disney would be well within their rights to charge you for cancelling the second room upon arrival, especially if the resort is at or near full capacity and they have had to turn other reservations away. The official reservation policy states that room-only bookings can be cancelled without penalty until 5 days prior to arrival and package reservations can be cancelled without penalty until 30 days prior to arrival; any deviation from this policy would be at the front desk manager's discretion.

I believe that Disney would be well within their rights to charge you for cancelling the second room upon arrival, especially if the resort is at or near full capacity and they have had to turn other reservations away. The official reservation policy states that room-only bookings can be cancelled without penalty until 5 days prior to arrival and package reservations can be cancelled without penalty until 30 days prior to arrival; any deviation from this policy would be at the front desk manager's discretion.
Okay, thanks. Something to consider. Perhaps it's easiest to spend more and get a larger room. (Sigh) We are planning on going during a relatively slow time of the year...so I was hopeful they'd have connecting rooms but may be best to not chance it?

Okay, thanks. Something to consider. Perhaps it's easiest to spend more and get a larger room. (Sigh) We are planning on going during a relatively slow time of the year...so I was hopeful they'd have connecting rooms but may be best to not chance it?
The issue with "relatively slow time" in the parks is that park volume is dictated more by off-site visitors than resort bookings on-site. Most of Disney runs at a very high occupancy rate, even in "relatively slow times."

Its not guaranteed but you should have a good chance. I've requested connecting rooms 4 times and every time I've had them. BUT again they can't guarantee.

One reservation has to go under your name and the second under your husband. Once the reservations are made you can call Disney and ask them to add a Travel With number to the reservations. This links the reservations so when they go to assign they pull up at the same time giving you the best chance for connecting rooms.

Personal I think a room at POR for 5 will be fine. You are not in the room all the time. The pull out will be perfect for the oldest child and the beds are queen. I think sharing really depends on everyone's sleeping habits.

The hard part about Disney is you are limited on options. Deluxe are a little bigger but not much, a family suit at a value will give you the most room for your $$$ and separate a bedroom or a 1 bedroom villa (rent someones DVC if you do that options).

Its not guaranteed but you should have a good chance. I've requested connecting rooms 4 times and every time I've had them. BUT again they can't guarantee.

One reservation has to go under your name and the second under your husband. Once the reservations are made you can call Disney and ask them to add a Travel With number to the reservations. This links the reservations so when they go to assign they pull up at the same time giving you the best chance for connecting rooms.

Personal I think a room at POR for 5 will be fine. You are not in the room all the time. The pull out will be perfect for the oldest child and the beds are queen. I think sharing really depends on everyone's sleeping habits.

The hard part about Disney is you are limited on options. Deluxe are a little bigger but not much, a family suit at a value will give you the most room for your $$$ and separate a bedroom or a 1 bedroom villa (rent someones DVC if you do that options).

The pull-down is unlikely to be suitable for a 13-year-old. The 10-year-old, maybe, but it's a very small "junior-sized" bed (only about 5 ft. 3 in. from head to foot).

The pull-down is unlikely to be suitable for a 13-year-old. The 10-year-old, maybe, but it's a very small "junior-sized" bed (only about 5 ft. 3 in. from head to foot).
We assumed the 3 year old would have the junior bed. We can have the 10 year old in sleeping bag on top of the bed and the 13 year old in it. Or switch and have my dd with me and my dh with son.

We assumed the 3 year old would have the junior bed. We can have the 10 year old in sleeping bag on top of the bed and the 13 year old in it. Or switch and have my dd with me and my dh with son.
Good thinking. The three-year-old would be most comfortable in the junior bed. Hope it all works out the way you want it to, OP.

We also have a son and a daughter and when travelling, usually my daughter will sleep in a bed with me and my son goes with my husband.

I am not sure how long your trip will be, but we stayed 5 in a room for four nights and it was very doable...but, more space always makes for a more pleasant trip with a bigger family!

If they can't give you connecting rooms upon check-in, ask if they would be available the next day. That way you'd only have to split up for the first night. They can usually arrange that. The only problem is that you'd have to move, but you can decide if it's worth it or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter