• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you could do one thing differently when purchasing DVC what would it be?

Instead of buying 220 points at AKV I would buy at BLT and AKV.

I would also have bought sooner
but, by splitting up how do you have enough points at one location? I would like do same thing, but I need too many points for one stay.... so don't think that would work for me??

why? just lost my 300 point akv to rofr so looking again.....

Smaller contracts are generally easier to sell should you ever have to do that or it gives the ability to easily downsize if you reach a time you don't need larger accommodations. There are increased closing fees up front though but you get some flexibility.

but, by splitting up how do you have enough points at one location? I would like do same thing, but I need too many points for one stay.... so don't think that would work for me??

People use banking and/or borrowing and alternate where they stay each year or they might plan on split stays.

Last edited:

Smaller contracts are generally easier to sell should you ever have to do that or it gives the ability to easily downsize if you reach a time you don't need larger accommodations. There are increased closing fees up front though but you can some flexibility.

People use banking and/or borrowing and alternate where they stay each year or they might plan on split stays.
OK.. thanks!

Banking and borrowing.

Let's say you have 150 AKV and 150 BLT. 300 points per year.

2017: Use 150 AKV and borrow 150 AKV from 2018. Bank 2017 BLT points. 300 AKV used in 2017, all within 11 month window.

2018. No AKV points avail. Use 150 2018 BLT and 150 banked BLT. 300 BLT used, all at 11 month window.

Rinse, repeat.

Banking and borrowing.

2017: Use 150 AKV and borrow 150 AKV from 2018. Bank 2017 BLT points. 300 AKV used in 2017, all within 11 month window.

2018. No AKV points avail. Use 150 2018 BLT and 150 banked BLT. 300 BLT used, all at 11 month window.

Rinse, repeat.
You can do the same thing with 100 points each at 3 resorts.

Add BCV to the mix. 100 points each. Buy 1, say AKV with 2016 points banked. Buy 1 say BCV stripped (drive a hard bargain and buy cheap)

2017: use 2016 banked AKV, 2017 AKV and borrow 2018 AKV. Bank 2017 BLT. 300 AKV points to use.

2018: use 2017 banked BLT, current BLT and borrow 2019 BLT. Bank 2018 BCV. 300 BLT.

2019: use 2018 BCV, current and borrow BCV. Bank AKV. 300 BCV.

Rinse repeat

You can do the same thing with 100 points each at 3 resorts.

Add BCV to the mix. 100 points each. Buy 1, say AKV with 2016 points banked. Buy 1 say BCV stripped (drive a hard bargain and buy cheap)

2017: use 2016 banked AKV, 2017 AKV and borrow 2018 AKV. Bank 2017 BLT. 300 AKV points to use.

2018: use 2017 banked BLT, current BLT and borrow 2019 BLT. Bank 2018 BCV. 300 BLT.

2019: use 2018 BCV, current and borrow BCV. Bank AKV. 300 BCV.

Rinse repeat

Every 3 years using banked, current and borrowed points means stranded points unless you have exactly the amount you need.

why? just lost my 300 point akv to rofr so looking again.....
They are easier to sell but tend to be more expensive and more hassle. For most situations I don't think it's worth it until you approach 350-400 points total. Esp since I feel one shouldn't buy planning to resell later, ever. It's usually a little more per point plus the extra closing per additional contract. OTOH it can open the option of different home resorts to have 2 esp. once one gets at 300 or larger total.

Banking and borrowing.

Rinse, repeat.
I see!! I like it.. only issue I can see is if we want to book 2 - 2 bed or grand villa, we wouldn't have enough points at 11 months..... so wondering if thats bad enough issue.. I really wanted bay lake to begin with.. but it was expensive, I see now how I can have maybe best of both worlds... hum.. maybe the rofr was for a reason after all, I will start thinking of this more and see.... maybe closing cost be more..thanks for enlightening me!!

I see!! I like it.. only issue I can see is if we want to book 2 - 2 bed or grand villa, we wouldn't have enough points at 11 months..... so wondering if thats bad enough issue.. I really wanted bay lake to begin with.. but it was expensive, I see now how I can have maybe best of both worlds... hum.. maybe the rofr was for a reason after all, I will start thinking of this more and see.... maybe closing cost be more..thanks for enlightening me!!
The AKV maintenance fees add up, too so it can end up almost equal to BLT (though initial buy in is smaller for AKV).

The AKV maintenance fees add up, too so it can end up almost equal to BLT (though initial buy in is smaller for AKV).
I hear ya... I just wanted the most points I could get for the best price.... that I was excited about .. akv excites me!! So does bay lake...

What I would do differently: Back when we were in our add-on days, we spent too much time waiting for the perfect loaded contracts. We saved a few hundred dollars on each contract but lost many months of using points for vacations. Adding up the initial buy-in cost and the years of maintenance fees, those hundreds of dollars are insignificant. We should have focused on getting the resort, use year and number of points we wanted and not worried about every last dollar and every last banked point.

That's the whole point of split because I don't want to stay at one location

Last edited:
I hear ya... I just wanted the most points I could get for the best price.... that I was excited about .. akv excites me!! So does bay lake...
Bay Lake will be a better value long term and will hold it's value better.

Bay Lake will be a better value long term and will hold it's value better.
I have read you and others say that alot! If I cant afford all 300 there, I am now considering splitting between baylake and akv or SSR possibly...... I may be able to swing that. thoughts? as long as I can book a grand villa at 7 months using all points or 2-2 beds I think this will work well for us in the long run!

I have read you and others say that alot! If I cant afford all 300 there, I am now considering splitting between baylake and akv or SSR possibly...... I may be able to swing that. thoughts? as long as I can book a grand villa at 7 months using all points or 2-2 beds I think this will work well for us in the long run!
You should be able to get two 2 BR at 7 months most of the time but it would depend on where you want. We're talking what, an extra $9K for BLT compared to just AKV with yearly savings of roughly $300 on dues. You really won't save any money in this situation by buying both because you'll pay a little higher per point plus an extra closing cost plus you could likely find a better contract with more points for the single larger contract. My first thought is if your budget is that tight on the purchase you may want to either way or go for less points. Remember one can get by with less points at times by taking advantage of the cheaper rooms like value at AKV or standard at BLT. Now if owning both is a definitely plus for you, I'd suggest you buy BLT first and go a little heavier on the points there than AKV. And I'd suggest you buy the first one and use it a couple of years before moving forward. If you get a well loaded contract, 220 can feel like 300 for a few years.

You should be able to get two 2 BR at 7 months most of the time but it would depend on where you want. We're talking what, an extra $9K for BLT compared to just AKV with yearly savings of roughly $300 on dues. You really won't save any money in this situation by buying both because you'll pay a little higher per point plus an extra closing cost plus you could likely find a better contract with more points for the single larger contract. My first thought is if your budget is that tight on the purchase you may want to either way or go for less points. Remember one can get by with less points at times by taking advantage of the cheaper rooms like value at AKV or standard at BLT. Now if owning both is a definitely plus for you, I'd suggest you buy BLT first and go a little heavier on the points there than AKV. And I'd suggest you buy the first one and use it a couple of years before moving forward. If you get a well loaded contract, 220 can feel like 300 for a few years.
Thank you so much.. its alot to think about again! I thought I had it all figured out the first time.... I can see value both ways.... I will keep searching and thinking and considering.. thanks again for your advice!

I would have purchased sooner and purchased more points. At the time we bought into VGC at about $94 per point. That's such a deal now. We tend to use up all of our points and borrow from the next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter