• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you could do one thing differently when purchasing DVC what would it be?

This is going to sound weird, but I wish I would have purchased direct in 2009 when I went on my first trip and was young and naive, even if it cost me thousands more!

Instead I've spent the last 8 years hemming and hawing on buying, trying to research it if was really worth it, building out countless financial analyses, all the while spending thousands and thousands on Disney and non-Disney hotels and house rentals, as we've gone to either Disneyland or Disney World every year since.

And at the end of the day the financial analysis didn't even matter, as I ignored what it said to do. I am currently waiting to hear back on a BWV contract, hoping it doesn't get taken in ROFR...

DH and I were on a bus going back to our All Star resort from Downtown Disney ( so this would have been 2002 or 2003) during our first or second trip. A lady got on and was talking to her Mom about what the guy told her when she asked "What was the 'best kept Disney secret/". I mean we all remember those vans roaming around. I was so enthralled with the newness of our Disney vacations that I didn't take time to ask what that meant. So she starts talking about a contract for so many points costing only $10,000. While I was overhearing this I knew how much we had paid to stay in a value resort...and I knew I wasn't leaving Disney...so I did the math. I remember asking DH about it...the whole "it only cost like $10,000 dollars and she was getting a great villa at a great resort for forever"...funny how you remember things in your mind.

I figure purchasing that trip would have saved us money in a way but everything happens for a reason. I just think I had to age another few years to appreciate what DVC could do for me on our 9th trip. We had discussed ownership off and on for a year or so before we bought...then I found the DIS in 2008...and then I found this forum... then I found a thread about a discount if you knew a member ( luckily I knew one)...and the rest is history. I will never forget DH making me close my eyes before we entered our studio villa for the first time. I can remember the bellman smiling as I did what I was told until he got the door open. I can remember running up to the balcony door, looking out at a beautiful savanna and spinning around to tell DH "It looks exactly like it does on the internet!!!!!!!"....and DH just smiling about a great decision. Priceless.

I guess purchasing resale would have been a better decision but I think purchasing sooner would have meant more.

g
DH and I were on a bus going back to our All Star resort from Downtown Disney ( so this would have been 2002 or 2003) during our first or second trip. A lady got on and was talking to her Mom about what the guy told her when she asked "What was the 'best kept Disney secret/". I mean we all remember those vans roaming around. I was so enthralled with the newness of our Disney vacations that I didn't take time to ask what that meant. So she starts talking about a contract for so many points costing only $10,000. While I was overhearing this I knew how much we had paid to stay in a value resort...and I knew I wasn't leaving Disney...so I did the math. I remember asking DH about it...the whole "it only cost like $10,000 dollars and she was getting a great villa at a great resort for forever"...funny how you remember things in your mind.

I figure purchasing that trip would have saved us money in a way but everything happens for a reason. I just think I had to age another few years to appreciate what DVC could do for me on our 9th trip. We had discussed ownership off and on for a year or so before we bought...then I found the DIS in 2008...and then I found this forum... then I found a thread about a discount if you knew a member ( luckily I knew one)...and the rest is history. I will never forget DH making me close my eyes before we entered our studio villa for the first time. I can remember the bellman smiling as I did what I was told until he got the door open. I can remember running up to the balcony door, looking out at a beautiful savanna and spinning around to tell DH "It looks exactly like it does on the internet!!!!!!!"....and DH just smiling about a great decision. Priceless.

I guess purchasing resale would have been a better decision but I think purchasing sooner would have meant more.
great story!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter