• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you could CLOSE one resort, which would it be?

Contemporary. I know, I know, it is the first resort but it is so darn ugly! If they are going to keep that building there they might as well fix up the outside of it. Almost every resort has some sort of beautiful landscaping and property and CR is so ugly, almost like an outdated office building. Everything is concrete. A much nicer resort could be put next to MK.

Honestly - I wouldn't close any of them but I would say my least favorites are the AS Music and Sports. There is a lid for every pot and there are people out there that love each and every resort. Maybe they made special memories at the AS Music or Sports... I just think they are very cheap looking. Although, I love the price. And the pool.

This is a hard question.

certainly NOT FW...only place of its kind on property and we loved our stays there!

Hey this thread is fun! Interesting to see the different priorities..

Personally I love Fort Wilderness. Never stayed there, but love the ambiance there.

Agree that Swan and Dolphin don't really fit in. I just can't get behind the design...and I personally love modern architecture. In my opinion Mr. Graves is very hit and miss on design...some I love, some I just don't like at all. I don't like these. Since these were built in a era where Disney was foolishly not pursuing hotel/resort expansion and sold land and rights to others - they don't own these and can't really close them.

Speaking of contemporary...I agree that the Contemporary Resort is kinda a big hunk of concrete...but the theme is good ...I would love to see a REAL overhaul to make it sleeker. I love the open feel of the concourse, but does anyone else think other levels feel like a basement?

Poly...I wanted so bad to love the Polynesian. I'm glad they are going through the big renovation. I agree it feels dated. But I wouldn't ditch it...I think the concept is solid.

I have stayed at POR French Quarter. and Riverside . I liked it and agree the moderates and values fill a needed roll for families that otherwise couldn't afford to stay on property. I've never been to a value resort so I can't share any thoughts here (they don't sound appealing to me when I hear the stories)

One exception to the above comment is Coronado Springs (considered a moderate). Attended a group event there so stayed on-site. We found the property sprawling, the beds uncomfortable and generally un-Disney-like. I shouldn't complain given the great group rate, but on the whole it just fell flat. Hubby needed to work the day we were scheduled for check out (we live an hour away)...we decided to drive home the night before to avoid a second night in that terrible bed and dirty looking bathroom (the bathroom wasn't really dirty, but just felt dated and icky). Will never stay there again and it has my vote as the one that does the most damage to Disney's brand...and should be closed.

Now to grab the popcorn and keep reading!

:surfweb:

It would be the Swan/Dolphin for me. I just don't like the resorts and they don't fit in with the New England themed YC, BC, and BW. Also, they ruin the sightlines in World Showcase at Epcot.
I agree.

They must have some REALLY nice motels where you're from!

I know I like that resort. For me it would be one of the values we stayed once at Music. I have to say tho stayed once at OKW and my niece made fun about them playing the same one song at pool over and over. That was several yrs ago do they still do that? Lol

Hey this thread is fun! Interesting to see the different priorities..

Personally I love Fort Wilderness. Never stayed there, but love the ambiance there.

Agree that Swan and Dolphin don't really fit in. I just can't get behind the design...and I personally love modern architecture. In my opinion Mr. Graves is very hit and miss on design...some I love, some I just don't like at all. I don't like these. Since these were built in a era where Disney was foolishly not pursuing hotel/resort expansion and sold land and rights to others - they don't own these and can't really close them.

Speaking of contemporary...I agree that the Contemporary Resort is kinda a big hunk of concrete...but the theme is good ...I would love to see a REAL overhaul to make it sleeker. I love the open feel of the concourse, but does anyone else think other levels feel like a basement?

Poly...I wanted so bad to love the Polynesian. I'm glad they are going through the big renovation. I agree it feels dated. But I wouldn't ditch it...I think the concept is solid.

I have stayed at POR French Quarter. and Riverside . I liked it and agree the moderates and values fill a needed roll for families that otherwise couldn't afford to stay on property. I've never been to a value resort so I can't share any thoughts here (they don't sound appealing to me when I hear the stories)

One exception to the above comment is Coronado Springs (considered a moderate). Attended a group event there so stayed on-site. We found the property sprawling, the beds uncomfortable and generally un-Disney-like. I shouldn't complain given the great group rate, but on the whole it just fell flat. Hubby needed to work the day we were scheduled for check out (we live an hour away)...we decided to drive home the night before to avoid a second night in that terrible bed and dirty looking bathroom (the bathroom wasn't really dirty, but just felt dated and icky). Will never stay there again and it has my vote as the one that does the most damage to Disney's brand...and should be closed.

Now to grab the popcorn and keep reading!

:surfweb:

I agree! Awesome thread to see the varying opinions. Just proves Disney is winning because they give so many options. :) I have never stayed at Deluxe but I've enjoyed CBR and many of the Value Resorts mentioned. We loved everything about them and it WAS the only way we could afford Disney.
This is a great post. :)

Yeah, I see lots of options that comfortably sleep 2 adults...but then if you have any other adults (or even teenagers) they're out of luck! Gets me about the DVC studios too: we'd love to get one of those (what a savings!) but I refuse to spend my vacation sleeping on a pull-out sofa.

No motels that nice, I assure you! Some of the ones in the shore areas are great, but certainly when you look at the details there's no comparison.

I've slept on my fair share of pull-outs and the ones in the ASMu suites are pretty darned comfy. I think the Family Suites are a great option for larger families, even those that include teenagers and extra adults. I wouldn't close them!

I honestly wouldn't close any Disney resort. There are so many of them that each of us is bound to not like one or two. Seems pretty mean spirited to close them because they don't appeal to us. They probably appeal to many many others.

I honestly wouldn't close any Disney resort. There are so many of them that each of us is bound to not like one or two. Seems pretty mean spirited to close them because they don't appeal to us. They probably appeal to many many others.

I agree! I recently stayed at All Star Sports and while it wasn't fancy or anything it worked perfectly for my family and was affordable for us. If it wasn't for it we'd probably have stayed off-site and I loved the all inclusive feel of staying on-site. I would also assume that if they were updated it would increase the cost of the room.
As a child I stayed at the Contemporary and Dolphin. I don't remember either too vividly except that the Contemporary was awesome because of the monorail but now with my own kids there is no way we could afford it. Having options like the values and camping make Disney an option for more families.

I've taken too many trips to remember since 2008, when we stayed at Caribbean Beach. I liked the resort but it was too spread out. Especially after I developed some serious blisters on my feet from ill-fitting shoes. It could have been the shoes that ruined it but I haven't been back.

Following that trip we've stayed at CR 3 times, Poly, WL, and POP 3 times. I have reservations at AsMo and I'm not sweating anything. For us, the cheaper digs have allowed for more visits. Having a friend that works at WDW (and his corresponding 40% room discount) makes it even easier.

If I'm bulldozing anything it would probably be OKW. Might be time for NKW.

Of the properties I've stayed at or visited the only one I didn't have any real warmth towards was the Contemporary and that's because it felt very much like hotels I and my DH stay at when we travel for work. Just not magical for us, but I know it has people that love it. I wouldn't close any of them because each has people that love it, and keep going back year after year.

Of all the ones we stayed at, it would be CSR. Outdated/mechanical issues with the rooms/poor guest relations service/didn't care for the resort layout/quick service area not set up very well.

I've taken too many trips to remember since 2008, when we stayed at Caribbean Beach. I liked the resort but it was too spread out. Especially after I developed some serious blisters on my feet from ill-fitting shoes. It could have been the shoes that ruined it but I haven't been back. Following that trip we've stayed at CR 3 times, Poly, WL, and POP 3 times. I have reservations at AsMo and I'm not sweating anything. For us, the cheaper digs have allowed for more visits. Having a friend that works at WDW (and his corresponding 40% room discount) makes it even easier. If I'm bulldozing anything it would probably be OKW. Might be time for NKW.

EXACTLY. Bye bye OKW. Condos much? No theme, too slow. Disney isn't meant to be a slow vacation. Go to Key West for that.

I'd have to say Saratoga Springs. I actually love the hotel but no one stays there! It's always the least booked resort and it feels so far away. It great if you want a spa weekend but I don't get the Disney Feel with it.

I would close Pop Century. Tackiest looking hotel ever. I would also turn all the hotels over to Loews to run. WDW has trouble running hotels properly. Loews does a fantastic job with the Universal hotels.

Total sidenote from the main topic of the thread but we LOVE Loews. There is no love lost between my family and universal (after being stuck on a ride, and horrible resulting neck pain, and awful service, and encountering so many employees with sucky attitudes...well you get the picture) BUT we still rave about the EXCEPTIONAL service at the lovely Royal Pacific and Portofino. We also had one of the best meals and servers ever at Tchoup Chop there too. Plus, room service brought to you at the POOL felt so luxurious. Check in desk always said hello, bellman were friendly anytime you caught one in the elevator, and the lifeguards lickety split found me an insect bite kit when I was stung by some strange red and black bee. Far cry different from the Universal customer service desk rep who screamed at us when we asked if there was anything they would do to make up for us being stuck on that darn Harry Potter ride for almost two hours.

As far as closing a Disney hotel, I just couldn't do it. I definitely think plenty could use some improvements (Yes, Contemporary needs a serious grounds upgrade. CSR needs to get rid of that stupid automatic tip in the food court. The values all seem so cookie cutter boring imo, and service and housekeeping could def. be stepped up at a lot of the resorts) That being said though, they all have special elements or serve a purpose.

Stayed at a few, different price ranges. We prefer villas for our family of 5. We save by eating many meals in the room. We do enjoy 3-4 very nice meals out.
That being said, food courts just aren't for us. You are still paying quite a bit there.
I wouldn't close any resort, but my least favorite to stay at was the ASMOVIES.
The room was just dismal and nasty. I was afraid to put anything on the floor. Maybe it was because we had a ground floor room? Maybe the others may have been better? Our room was dark, sink had cracks, walls had dust webs.
But- I loved the themng outside! I have some of the best pictures by the huge woody, buzz Dalmatian statues.
If they could encorporate some of this outside theming to Saratoga, I woukd be happy. I love the rooms and the pools at Saratoga, but the theming is not very disney-esque. I am from ny , so it just feels as if I am home.
I love key west for the huge room and the laid back but disney omnipresent feel.
CSR- was ok . My husband loved it, but the room was also on the dark side. It was very clean and more luxurious than asm. We also had issues with customer service there. They seem to take A very long time with resolving issues. Maybe they hope you will tire and forget it?
Long story short-
No closures BUT- make the rooms at asm brighter and nicer ( and cleaning them woukd be great, too)

I wish there was some way to get rid of the Swan and Dolphin.

The colors are flat and garish, and the building architecture is predictable and ugly. The interpretation is so literal that it appears as if a two year old thought up the idea (no offense to two year olds). No beauty on any level.

The Swan and Dolphin are out of sync with the boardwalk area and stick out like a sore thumb.

As others have said, great idea for a thread. I see a few posters that couldn't help but rebutt some opinions :rolleyes2 .
My choice would have to be Coronado. It does feel like you aren't getting the Disney experience there. We tacked on a night during our 2004 trip there when we (as kids) didn't want to leave! I remember being confused as to where we were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter