• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you could CLOSE one resort, which would it be?

I wouldn't close any of them. Every Disney resort is unique and fun! Of course I have my personal favorite resorts at Disney but I feel Disney resorts offer wonderful variety and they have something to please everyone and that's a beautiful thing!!! No resort will be perfect every time you visit but Disney does a great job at making things right when things go wrong! This is why we love Disney so much!

I agree. It's great that there are so many choices. We've stayed at CBR, WL, AKL, BC, Poly & GF and love them all for different reasons. All of our stays have been great and we wouldn't hesitate to return to any of them (with a few of them already having more than one stay).

I doubt I would close any of them! Most people have favs, but the value resorts allow people who can't afford the other resorts to come to Disney. We have been many times and we love POR. it is affordable and easy to get DTD. We love the quiet pools and the quiet walkways along the river.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

AoA - Close it - change the furniture in the suites to REAL BEDS!

OR - They should change the suites to regular rooms again. Real sleep surfaces for FOUR adults!

The suites are ridiculously overpriced!

I agree, real beds. Even some of the two bedroom DVCs have a pullout in the second bedroom.

I have to agree with those saying the Swan/Dolphin. I don't think they are inherently bad, just for me if I'm spending the money to stay on property at WDW I want to stay in a Disney run hotel, plus I just don't like the design of the buildings.

I haven't had the opportunity to spend any time in this hotel but I think the POP looks tacky and unpleasant. Does the huge day-glow phone appeal to anyone, children included?

I wouldn't close any of the values or moderates. A lot of people count on them to make their trips more affordable. I would close the Grand Floridian. I know it's supposed the be the Flagship Resort. But, to me it has the least appeal of the deluxes, is very overpriced, and I don't hear about many people planning their trips to that resort.

If I had to pick one I'd go All Star Music. We stayed in the Broadway section and I hated the walk every day and night. The layout of the resort is far too linear. Making for longer walks if you're in the back.

All Star Sports has the much better layout that's easier to navigate.

ASMu. I booked it for 8 nights in April '12 in an attempt to save a bit of money but after the first night I switched us to CSR. The room was too small and dingy and, in my opinion, comparable to a cheap motel. It was the one and only time we've stayed at a value so I can't comment on whether the others look/feel the same.

If Pop were closed, we would go back to staying offsite. Deluxes are, to us, a waste of money we could better spend elsewhere, and for the price difference between a moderate and SoG, we would stay there even though we didn't really like the stuffy off putting feeling there. Pop is always friendly, people laugh and talk to each other, and the oversize icons really make us feel like kids. We don't need a family suite and don't want to deal with the distance of the mermaid rooms so AoA isn't a good choice either.

I couldn't pick one to close as I think there is a love for each and every resort out there. I can say that I would never stay at the Wildnerness Lodge for personal reasons after a visit there.

No respect for postmodern architecture! :sad2:

In case anyone is interested in the story behind the design of the resorts...
http://www.archdaily.com/64270/ad-classics-walt-disney-world-swan-and-dolphin-resort-michael-graves/

The dolphin statues alone would keep me from staying at that place. They are NOT dolphins!! There is no dorsal fin, the pectoral fins are all wrong, the tail is wrong and finally, it has SCALES. It's a koi or goldfish, not a dolphin. I can't imagine how that made it past the planning stages. No one had a picture of a real dolphin?

The dolphin statues alone would keep me from staying at that place. They are NOT dolphins!! There is no dorsal fin, the pectoral fins are all wrong, the tail is wrong and finally, it has SCALES. It's a koi or goldfish, not a dolphin. I can't imagine how that made it past the planning stages. No one had a picture of a real dolphin?

The resort is not named after the mammal dolphin, but rather the Dolphin Fish (more commonly known as "Mahi Mahi" - http://www.freshislandfish.com/products/Mahimahi-Dolphin-Fish). If you read the article I linked above, you might have noticed that Michael Graves had originally drawn the dolphin fish frowning, as is its natural expression, but Michael Eisner insisted that the fish smile because he was at Disney (the mammal dolphin, however, has a natural "smile").

Man... I can't read this thread... I'm getting too upset! Lol! The poly??!!? Hands down my fav resort! The campground?!? Man... Too many memories there, I personally love the fact that you can camp and go to Disney! I had to quit reading! ;)

Hahahaha! Agreed!

CBR?!!!! Like who doesn't like the Caribbean?!!! Lol!

Obviously that's my favorite resort. :)
I think everything about it is EPIC. Interesting responses in this thread though! We each have our own taste. :)

I don't care for Swan & Dolphin much. I wish WDW could purchase it back and redo it.

AoA - Close it - change the furniture in the suites to REAL BEDS!

OR - They should change the suites to regular rooms again. Real sleep surfaces for FOUR adults!

The suites are ridiculously overpriced!

Yeah, I see lots of options that comfortably sleep 2 adults...but then if you have any other adults (or even teenagers) they're out of luck! Gets me about the DVC studios too: we'd love to get one of those (what a savings!) but I refuse to spend my vacation sleeping on a pull-out sofa.

Really? What the heck kind of motels do they have in NJ?

No motels that nice, I assure you! Some of the ones in the shore areas are great, but certainly when you look at the details there's no comparison.

I hate the visual issues with the Swolphin. They do destroy the views from parts of Epcot and don't fit with the theme of the surrounding resorts. As for the rooms I have never stayed in one so they may be the best on property but I wouldn't know because I can't get past the outside look.

I also dislike Pop. We have stayed there once and cannot stand how Motel 6 it felt. And we have stayed at all the values multiple times. The staff was less then magical and the room and grounds felt ehh to DH and I. That being said it is personal choice and I can see where others love it.

As an overall resort that I just plain hate and would skip a trip to WDW rather than stay at is CSR. I know it has its fan's but I am not one of them by a long shot. I wanted to love it really. I had even cancelled the last two nights of our POFQ stay back in 2007 so we could spend a two nights at CSR. Biggest mistake ever! Check-in took over an hour. We got to the room and the room reeked of smoke. I mean we walked in and my eyes were swelled shut in 2 minutes. We went back to the front desk and were told that nothing else was available yet but they would move us. We left all of our stuff and headed to MK. Came back around 9pm and got our new room number and KTTW cards and went to our room. Walked in and the floor was wet from a full cleaning they had clearly done on the room. Being tired and our two year old needing to sleep we stayed. Another big mistake. The cleaning odors irritated our eyes as well. Everyone felt sick when we woke up the next morning. We left and again asked for a room that was suitable for our last night. No go nothing available. So we stayed out until very late so we would only be there a short time to sleep and they promised to put fans in the room to dry the carpet and blow out the smell. We also ate at the Pepper Market and felt the automatic tip was absurd for someone who only got us drinks once and we refilled ourselves after that because she never came back.

"Dif'rent strokes, for dif'rent folks". I think it is wonderful that many of you have a great time and that you create such great memories at Fort Wilderness. Disney tried with FW, I guess, to be all-encompassing and accommodate as many varied traveling guests as possible. Not everyone can afford places like the GF or WL. So, I am glad those of you that take advantage of FW, enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter