• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~If you are what you eat, then I only want to eat the good stuff~ COMPLETE

The food that's going to be at the F&W Festival all sounds so delicious! Gosh darn it, you have gone and made me all hungry! ;)

I'm really looking forward to trying the new F&W offerings. The booths are so much fun! Lol sorry about making you hungry, maybe I should add a disclaimer to my review? :lmao:

Some of those things look wonderful! It's too bad that they discontinued some, but there are others that their replacements look evern better. I can't wait until you start your TR and tasting all the foods that are there this year! I've still got 75 days until my trip starts!

It's always sad when they discontinue items, but I'd rather have new and exciting things to try each year! Only 46 days for me :goodvibes and I can't wait to report back on what we try.

Signing on! We'll be heading to our 4th F&W experience in October and can't wait!:cool1:

Nice! Thanks for reading :thumbsup2

Oh my, some of those things look yummy!! I will definitely be following your report to see what yummy food they have this year!

My family and I will be heading down in Nov for my mom's 50th birthday and also for the F&W Fest. We've never been, so we are VERY excited :banana:

Also, may I ask where you found a list of all the food they will be having at each station? Thanks!

Welcome! Thanks for reading. You and your family are going to love the F&W festival!

The list of food items available is located here: Festival Guide

:mad::headache::sad2::rolleyes:

F&W Frustrations​

*deep breath* I just have to keep reminding myself....Polynesian Club Level....my best friend's Disney Fairytale Wedding....the Food & Wine Festival International Marketplaces....Victoria & Albert's....I have lots of wonderful events to look forward to during my next WDW vacation.

However, I am still seethingly angry after my less than magical experience with the Disney Reservation Center this morning.

Calling right at 7 a.m., I got a moderate wait time of 15 minutes. It was more like 20, but that's ok. However, I instantly got that terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. You see, calling DRC is a bit like playing Cast Member Roulette, I find that 1 out of every 6 Cast Members is completely clueless. Sadly, I had that 1 out of 6.

She rambled on, insisted on my full contact details and reservation number, then tried to book me at the wrong event 3 times. It took her a good 10 minutes to even locate my desired event even though I kept calmly repeating "Sweet Sundays, October 9th, 10am please."

Then, the moment of glory...."Yes Ma'am, I have that available for your party. I've entered your information and I'm just going to place you on hold while I process the credit card payment..." *click* and I was disconnected!

Now, this CM had my full contact details and all my required info. She didn't call back. I know for a fact that CMs can call a guest back upon disconnect as I have had it happen to me numerous times.

I called back, 30 minute wait time. On hold 35 minutes "Hello and thank you for calling Disney Dining, my name is...*click*" Disconnected again. Dear lord, you have got to be kidding me!

So, now I have an hour of long distance cost and nothing to show for it. I finally called the Poly IPO and they said the event is sold out. They were so apologetic.

*deep breath* Not seeing Buddy Valastro is disappointing. It is the ONLY F&W event that I wanted. But it won't ruin my trip.

We are *considering* the Oct 8th PFTS as it is highly likely that Buddy will be there. We'll see...:sad1:

I'm sorry you didn't get your event. It was crazy this morning both of us tried to call. My partner got in, but I never got past the "all circuits are busy" message. We weren't trying for a "hard to get celebrity event" but my CM almost booked us into a Sweet Sundays instead of the Sweet Seats at the 3D Desserts Discovery.

You will still have a wonderful trip. :hug:

I'm sorry you didn't get your event. It was crazy this morning both of us tried to call. My partner got in, but I never got past the "all circuits are busy" message. We weren't trying for a "hard to get celebrity event" but my CM almost booked us into a Sweet Sundays instead of the Sweet Seats at the 3D Desserts Discovery.

You will still have a wonderful trip. :hug:

Thanks Alison! :hug:

I know I'll still have a wonderful trip. I think the thing that is upsetting me most is that I DID have a reservation that just didn't get fully processed.

My CM kept trying to book me into the Sweet Seats :lmao: sounds like we needed each others CMs!

Aww, I'm sorry that you didn't get into Sweet Sundays. I can't believe that the CM was so very unhelpful and didn't call you back after you got disconnected. That is very frustrating :headache:. Regardless, I know you will have a fabulous trip!

Aww, I'm sorry that you didn't get into Sweet Sundays. I can't believe that the CM was so very unhelpful and didn't call you back after you got disconnected. That is very frustrating :headache:. Regardless, I know you will have a fabulous trip!

Thanks Besty. It was incredibly frustrating. I lodged a complaint with Guest Services and they are looking into what happened. However, that still won't get me into Buddy's Sweet Sunday seminar :headache:

Here's hoping for the long shot of a cancellation. :sad2:

No problem!

Hello Foodie Friends!
I can't believe my trip is only 36 days away!
:cheer2::yay::woohoo:

Now, I have posted this little story on my recent dining reviews, and while DDad has been pretty good this trip...I have a feeling the following post will be applicable to my upcoming trip...

Dealing with an Indecisive DD (DDad and Disney Diner):
The Tale of the Last-Minute Dining Changes

So, any of you that have followed my previous reviews know that my DDad likes to change things up at the last minute.

I have planned the trip months in advance, examined menus, park hours, EMH schedules etc. I have mapped out what I feel is the perfect itinerary. I offer to show him said itinerary numerous times in the months leading up to the trip and his response is always “I trust you”with a smile.

Suuure, he trusts me. Then why is it, without fail, one week before every trip I hear,
“Hey Meg….can I see the itinerary?...”

Which causes the following thoughts to run through my head….

Oh god…I’m screwed….he is going to want to change something, or he will ask me to obtain the impossible reservation. I understand he wants some flexibility, but for heaven’s sake, he has been to WDW as often as me, he knows that dining reservation book out months in advance….doesn’t he?

I groan and hand it over, waiting to see what his changes are.

Here is an example from a previous trip:

“Why aren’t we eating at Flame Tree BBQ when we go to the Animal Kingdom?”

“I told you Dad, Flame Tree BBQ is closed for refurbishment until Sept 20th.”

“But you also said it might open early!”

“Key word being MIGHT Dad, I said might! It's Disney...remember how long it took them to open Test Track?? Right now it looks like it is behind schedule.”

“But I want to eat there!”

“So do I, but we'll do that in October.”

As an aside: We will do that in October has become a bit of a running joke in our family. We stayed at WDW during Tropical Storm Faye and it prevented us from doing several activities we had planned. As we were returning in late October for the F&W Festival we began saying "We'll do that in October" and as you can imagine the list of things we were doing in October got laughably big :lmao:

“Ok…fine...”

So DDad continues to look over the itinerary.

“You know, the Grand Floridian Cafe looks a bit…blah…why don’t we eat somewhere else that night?”

“Um…ok. Well The Wave should be pretty easy to get.”

“Ok, that sounds good, I liked The Wave.”

I go onto the WDW and easily find a reservation for The Wave, and just as I am finishing up and getting my confirmation number…

“What about the California Grill?”

“We are eating there on your anniversary.”

“I know, but what about California Grill instead of The Wave.”

“What?? Are you kidding? After Le Cellier, and outside of Cinderella’s Royal Table, California Grill is the holy grail of dining reservations. I barely got one for your anniversary and it was at a crappy time, but I got it. Besides, I've been looking for weeks and the California Grill is booked solid.”

“I’m sure you can get us in on the 7th as well.”

“No. I can’t.”

"We will just have to see when we get there. Maybe we can just walk up."

I was emphatic that there was no way on god’s green earth that I could get us a SECOND California Grill reservation, one week away! I just laughed at his suggestion to "walk-up" and said that MAYBE we could eat at the lounge but it would have to be right at the start of dinner service.

But, being the curious person I am, I checked out the WDW website this morning…I entered Sept 7th, dinner, 3 adults and smugly waited as the website processed. I was absolutely sure I was going to get
“No dinner reservations are available 09/07/10.”

Then it happened….

No way….

That is not possible….

9:40pm available.

Crap. :headache: I’m never going to live this down. So I made the reservation and resigned myself to the fact that DDad would mock my lack of faith in spontaneity.

Then, I felt an Alice in Wonderland moment hit me…curiouser and curiouser…I entered Sept 5th…absolutely sure that there would be no availability and we would be stuck with out 5:40pm reservation.

Good lord…..would you look at that….

7:45pm available

So I re-booked that dinner as well.

Sadly, now he is never going to believe that last minute dining reservation changes are as impossible as I make them out to be. :sad2:

But such is life with an Indecisive DDad. :rolleyes1

Expect a follow-up post about a week before the vacation detailing what changes DDad has requested :lmao:

Did I just write that last post or did you? :rotfl2:

Is your dad and my hubby related? Cuz honey, they sure seem to be cut from the same cloth!

I remember TS Faye...we were at the Poly and everything we didnt get to do was on our October list as well!

:rotfl: Too much. You must have the patience of a saint! Congrats on scoring with the CG ADRs! :thumbsup2

Sorry your F&W booking experience was less than magical. :sad2:

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. I am a couple of weeks behind you. Can't wait!!!! :yay:

Love that post about your DDad! My family tries to do the same thing to me! Why can't people just be happy with the reservations we make? :confused3

Every trip with my DH is like that! I plan months ahead of time, watching for changes in park hours and perfecting our ADRs and it never fails, DH decides about a week before the trip that now is the perfect time to plan everything. For our upcoming trip he's decided to start things a little bit sooner. Like this week. One month before our trip! I guess its better than a week before :rotfl:

Did I just write that last post or did you? :rotfl2:

Is your dad and my hubby related? Cuz honey, they sure seem to be cut from the same cloth!

I remember TS Faye...we were at the Poly and everything we didnt get to do was on our October list as well!

:lmao: I know right? He has already thrown some curve balls my way for this trip! I'll talk about them shortly, in my next update.

:rotfl: Too much. You must have the patience of a saint! Congrats on scoring with the CG ADRs! :thumbsup2

Sorry your F&W booking experience was less than magical. :sad2:

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. I am a couple of weeks behind you. Can't wait!!!! :yay:

LOL You definitely need to have patience with my DDad. He and I are both exceptionally stubborn, so it makes for an interesting battle of dining wits :thumbsup2

Love that post about your DDad! My family tries to do the same thing to me! Why can't people just be happy with the reservations we make? :confused3

DDad says he likes to "challenge" me and that new experiences on our trips are good. I agree, but why can't we decide on the new experiences a few months in advance before I've done all the planning? :rolleyes1

Every trip with my DH is like that! I plan months ahead of time, watching for changes in park hours and perfecting our ADRs and it never fails, DH decides about a week before the trip that now is the perfect time to plan everything. For our upcoming trip he's decided to start things a little bit sooner. Like this week. One month before our trip! I guess its better than a week before :rotfl:

LOL why is it always men who seem interested in planning at the last minute?? At least a month is a slight improvement!

10 Days!!​

:woohoo::woohoo::yay::yay::cheer2::cheer2:

This time, 10 days from now, I will be checking-in to the Polynesian! Technically, I could do online check-in today, but I prefer the Club Level check-in experience :cloud9:

I have updated my Itinerary & Dining Reservations section, though I can't guarantee that it won't change again (I have an indecisive DDad after all :rolleyes1)

In fact, he has already made his first change! Though...I will grudgingly admit....I like this change....yes Dad....I said I like this change
:lmao:

Changes (Round 1)

Our reservation for Victoria & Albert's was originally 5:30 p.m. This was great as we have always dined at the first seating at V&A. But then Dad got thinking....why not the later seating? Our plans for the day of the 7th are to enjoy our private cabana at the Polynesian. The rental is from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. and we can have Kona Cafe lunch items brought to the cabana for lunch - how cool!

I had planned for us to head back to the room at 2 p.m. and get ready for dinner. Dad suggested that I see if a later seating time was available at V&A and that we nap at 2 p.m....enjoy the evening CL lounge offerings at 5 p.m. and then leisurely get ready for our dinner.

I knew that V&A would be significantly easier to obtain on short notice than other restaurants, but I still wasn't 100% confident that we would get the time we wanted. Thankfully, 8:45 p.m. was available!

So, we will have a new experience, the later seating at V&A! :goodvibes

Cravings Countdown!!

Typically, I don't start my WDW Cravings Countdown until 7 days before a WDW vacation, but as this is F&W my mind is all about food & WDW right now.....so I give you....

Day 10 - F&W Festival Items​

Today, you get several items that are on my current cravings list.

1. Canada
ry%3D400

This is our traditional first stop at the Food & Wine Festival. Maybe it's patriotic? Maybe it's because the location is near the International Gateway? Maybe it's because this soup is liquid gold? Whatever the reason, our first stop and our first item for the past 4 festivals is the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup at the Canada booth. We will absolutely continue this tradition! And the maple glazed salmon is fantastic as well!

2. Ireland
ry%3D400

Again, maybe our ancestry has an influence on our palates but we adore everything at the Ireland booth. The fisherman's pie is a bit rich for my taste, but it definitely merits a try each year. The cheese plate is simply delicious and....the holy grail of F&W dessert items....the Chocolate Lava Cake with Bailey's Ganache! I swear, angels sing when you eat this! It is dense, fudgey and has just the right hint of irish cream. Even DMom, who isn't a chocolate lover, practically inhales this cake.

3. France
ry%3D400

Undeniably the booth we frequent the most. We are french food lovers and this booth often serves up some of our top ranking F&W items. The escargot en brioche are buttery light bites of goodness. Don't like escargot? Have you ever tried it? :upsidedow No? :sad1: Well you should! No preparation is more approachable than this. Think of it like super yummy garlic bread with a mushroom in the middle. That is pretty much exactly how it tastes, but imagine that 10x better!

We will miss the cabernet braised shortribs this year, but I am absolutely excited to try the Coq au Vin over macaroni & cheese! :goodvibes

4. Japan
ry%3D400

I could eat sushi several times a week and be a very happy person, so I am always going to love a booth that offers sushi. Spicy Tuna and California Rolls are two of my favorites, but I'm also interested to try the Tuna & Salmon Sensation (cubes of tuna & salmon with avocado and soy sauce) and the Pork Kakuni (which is supposed to be braised pork belly! Yum!)

5. Hops & Barley/ U.S.
ry%3D400

We absolutely love the Hops & Barley Market and U.S. booth! I think it's because we only get 1 or 2 types of Samuel Adams beer in Canada and its so much fun to try a bunch in the small 3 or 4 oz cups! While I have enjoyed the previous renditions of the lobster roll, I am a purist and I like lobster with a light amount of dressing and not much else. This year's lobster roll sounds closer to that description. Plus the "claw cuddlers" are just downright intriguing. Who wants to cuddle a lobster claw? :eek: Not me, but I sure like eating them ;)

Well, that's all for now. Does anyone have suggestions to make time go faster? :lmao:

Single Digit Dance!!​

I can't believe I finally get to do the single digit dance! :goodvibes My friend and I have been talking about this trip for literally 2 years and now it is 9 days away (well 8 days for her lol) AND her wedding is 11 days away!!

I have full-blown Disney Brain right now. I can't focus on anything lol. Thank god I have the DISboards to keep me sane.

So today I give you the next installment of the Cravings Countdown....

Day 9 - Sushi!

I absolutely love sushi. I can't get enough of it, really. I eat it every other week at home, but sadly, all the sushi I eat here in Toronto absolutely pales in comparison to the sushi I eat in Florida.

At least once a week, someone in my house will say "You know what I'd really like to eat right now?" and the response is always "California Grill Sushi?"

That isn't to say that we ONLY eat sushi at the California Grill. We also love the Kona Island Sushi Bar and Tokyo Dining. On our trips to WDW, it isn't uncommon for us to eat sushi 3 or 4 times in the course of the week.

1. California Grill

The California Grill is sushi heaven for us. Yoshi is simply magical. Her flavor and texture combinations are out of this world. Her sushi rice is the best I've ever had. Even her accompaniments (sauces, pickled cucumbers, seaweed salad) are to die for!

We started dining at the California Grill in August 2007...and we ate there 3 times in that single trip. I have lost count of the number of meals we have enjoyed here,, but it is safely over a dozen.

Here are some of my favorite sushi items & pictures:

ry%3D400

Place Setting

ry%3D400

Outrageous Custom Sushi Platter

ry%3D400

Shrimp Tempura Roll & Hurricane Roll

ry%3D400

Snake in the Grass, Spicy Kazan and Shrimp Tempura Rolls

ry%3D400

Shrimp Tempura, California and Spicy Kazan Rolls

ry%3D400

Ahi Tuna 3 ways, Tempura Banzai Roll, Spicy Kazan Roll

As you can see, while we experiment occasionally, we have found our favorites! The group favorite is the Shrimp Tempura Roll. Technically, this isn't listed on the menu. However, it is an item made every night as it is part of Yoshi's Deluxe Sushi Platter. If you request it as a roll on it's own, the servers at the California Grill will gladly accommodate you. The price in May 2011 was $22/roll.

The roll itself is a tempura shrimp, with slivers of mango and watermelon, wrapped in a soy paper and served with an orange ginger dipping sauce. This is crunchy, cool, sweet and tangy.

My personal favorite, however, is the Spicy Kazan Roll. This roll is wrapped in traditional nori, and filled with crab, shrimp and tuna. While the crab and shrimp are cooked, the tuna is raw, for those of you that don't like raw sushi. On top of the sushi roll, Yoshi places a mixture of her fireball sauce (clearly this is spicy) and bay scallops. Then, everything is topped off with tempura crunch and slivers of nori.

This roll is so complex. You get tender crab, sweet shrimp and rich tuna, spicy sauce, perfectly cooked scallops and crunchy tempura. I nearly lick the plate clean each time.

2. Kona Island Sushi Bar

The Kona Island Sushi Bar was Walt Disney World's first experiment in "flex" dining. Pre-2008, the Kona Island Sushi Bar was simply the Kona Island Coffee Bar. In the mornings, guest could get yummy Kona coffee and a variety of pastries as they headed out to the parks.

Then, someone realized that the space could be used in the evenings. After some minor renovations (namely, adding a sushi counter), the bar reopened with a dual purpose. From 7am till 11am (I believe) it serves coffee and pastries. At 5pm, it reopens and serves sushi (as well as any item off the full Kona Cafe menu).

We tried the sushi bar for the first time in 2008 and fell in love. It has become a "first night" tradition on the majority of our trips since.

Our favorite rolls are:

IMG_7316.jpg

The Shrimp Tempura Roll and the Cali Luau Roll

AND

IMG_7318.jpg

The Volcano Roll

The Shrimp Tempura Roll here is a bit different than the California Grills. The shrimp are larger and are breaded in panko as opposed to a true, light and airy tempura batter. The roll has only mango slivers and the sauce is lilikoi, or passionfruit. It is very refreshing.

The Cali Luau Roll is Kona's take on a California Roll. In place of cucumber, they use pineapple. The tangy taste is unexpected, yet the texture is reminiscent of the cucumber it replaces.

Lastly, the Volcano Roll. This is easily the most interesting variation on a Spicy Tuna Roll that I've ever tried. The roll itself is simply fresh tuna and pickled vegetables. All the spice comes from the spicy mayo and the shrimp salad scattered around the plate. The pleasant acidity from the vegetables helps balance the spicy sauce. The shrimp salad is addictive and is topped off with tempura crunch and edible flower petals.

Move faster time...I want to be in Walt Disney World!

Jumping in to say I will be with there the same time as you! I am loving your cravings! Congratulations to your BFF and I hope (know) it will be a wonderful magical day! DD and I LOVE seeing the brides at Disney! Thanks for all the fun and I will be reading the report when I get back.

WDW Cravings Countdown​

Day 8 - Snacks!

There are so many amazing snacks to partake in at Walt Disney World! As I sit at my desk, eating a boring granola bar, I can't help but think of all the yummy calorie-worthy treats that I get to have in 8 days!

1. Sleepy Hollow (Liberty Square), Magic Kingdom

Now, I know that the majority of you just went "Mmmm...funnel cake!" in your heads. Nope, that's not the snack that I'm thinking of. Sorry, I'm just not a big funnel cake fan...:eek: blasphemous you say? Well...not when my snack is:

ry%3D400

A Mickey Waffle!

I recently discovered that they sell these at Sleepy Hollow! You see, I far prefer the big Mickey waffles to the mini ones (in a pinch, I'll eat either...come on, it's a mickey waffle!). During my March 2010 birthday trip, DMom and I were wandering Liberty Square mid-morning and we saw someone walk away from Sleepy Hollow with one of these icing sugar coated beauties!

I'm not a huge syrup fan either. Give me simple powdered sugar (or powdered sugar and cinnamon blended) and I'm happy!

2. Aloha Isle (Adventureland), Magic Kingdom OR Captain Cook's, Polynesian

What would a WDW snack post be without:

ry%3D400

Dole Whip

Dole Whip Pineapple Softserve is easily my favorite snack at WDW. It is cool, tangy, light and refreshing. The Poly is our favorite resort for many reasons, one of which is the fact that you can get a dole whip pretty much any time you want :thumbsup2

I am a bit ashamed to admit that I've never tried the pineapple float :eek: maybe this coming trip!

3. Make Your Own Treats, Goofy's Candy Company

While I haven't made one of these in years...I still think they are among the coolest snacks at WDW. What kid doesn't want the opportunity to pile chocolate, caramel and like 5 types of candy onto a rice crispy treat or pretzel rods?

My personal favorite was a rice crispy, dipped in chocolate, covered in butterfinger and drizzled with caramel. But I think they did away with the caramel drizzle :(

ry%3D400

4. Boulangerie Patisserie (France Pavilion), Epcot

There is a reason that this bakery ALWAYS has a line: Everything in this adorable little shop is heavenly.

A tip for those going for the first time - both counters have the exact same offerings.

Our favorites tend to be the creme brulee, chocolate mousse, chocolate filled eclair and the palmier (or elephant ear cookie).

ry%3D400

Lastly, some honourable mentions (of which I cannot find photos)
- School Bread, Waffles and Rice Cream from Kringla Bakeri in Norway
- Pecan Chocolate Caramel Cluster from Karamel Kuche in Germany
- Churros with Milk Caramel from Cantina de San Angel in Mexico
- Carrot Cake Cookie from The Writer's Stop at Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Popcorn from the Magic Kingdom (it tastes best there!)
- and many many more!

Sounds like a very fun trip! Looking forward to the reviews!

Thanks for reading!

I can't wait for you to start your trip so I can follow along!

I can't believe it's less than a week away now :) looking forward to posting as much as I can live.

Jumping in to say I will be with there the same time as you! I am loving your cravings! Congratulations to your BFF and I hope (know) it will be a wonderful magical day! DD and I LOVE seeing the brides at Disney! Thanks for all the fun and I will be reading the report when I get back.

Cool! Thanks for reading :) I always find myself thinking about Disney food before we head back "home".

Thanks! She is so excited (I am too!!) and she is hoping she will see a few girls who think she is a "princess" princess::bride:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter