If Everest doesn't get yeti refurb after Pandora opening, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashjw58

Earning My Ears
AK could not take the hit of Everest out for yeti repairs which might take 6 months to a year. That is, until a new major draw like Pandora comes online. I see this as an opportunity and perhaps last before Joe retires (assuming he wants it working again while still on his watch).

Could we see this announced in 2017?

I don't think it's too high on their list right now. It's still a great ride and continues to entertain guests even without the yeti in full motion.

From what I understand - and I could be mistaken - the issue is not the Yeti itself. I believe the Yeti "works". The problem is in the foundation the yeti is on. The motion had caused cracking from too much stress on the foundation. Fixing this kind of issue, with everything hidden in the middle of the mountain, would be a pretty big job. Like I said, I don't know this to be fact but I've heard it as an explanation, and it seems to make sense.

Either way, I don't think you'll see jack about this in 2017... or 2018, 19, 20, 21....

At first glance your logic seems good, but in reality the opposite is true. They are going to need EE more than ever in the next 18 months. With Pandora drawing more and more guests they need every attraction available to help distribute the people. It is much more likely EE would go down after the opening of Star wars land. When the crowds are beon drawn away from AK instead of towards it

To be honest I don't see the point. You see the Yeti for about half a second when you zip by. It's not like its missing. Would I (or anyone else) want to have this attraction close for the 6+ months it would take to essentially rebuild that section of the ride? No. Everest is a great ride how it is (and has been almost the entire time it has been opened). Why close it down and spend so much money that's not necessary. Put that money into adding something to Dino Land USA or Raffiki's Planet watch.

I agree - don't think you'll see anything for at least a year after Pandora opens. Maybe eventually when they have to shut it down for a refurb they'll do the repair work.

I don't think Everest has had a decent refurbishment since the ride has opened so it's going to have to go down at some point. Whether they fix the yeti during the refurb is yet to be seen but the ride breaks down pretty often so a fix up is in order.

It's never happening.

But..."what's the point?"

That's obviously an opinion for someone who never saw it...it completely changes the ride...it makes it operate as designed.

Currently, It's just an average rollercoaster In a shell...the yeti was the key "story" component.

This is not a "great" ride as many claim as is. It can't be by definition. But neither is mine train...that's a kiddie coaster. You need to have a discerning audience to ever be held accountable for your failures...and that doesn't happen in lake buena vista these days.

We really enjoy riding EE, I personally don't think that a moving Yeti will make the ride much better. I personally don't think that they will fix the Yeti until they need to shut the ride down for some sort of extended refurb for some other reason, like track replacement (inside mountain) or some kind of structural repair (building or ride). Again just a guess but it just isn't a good reason by itself to shut the ride down for an extended period of time.

It's never happening.

But..."what's the point?"

That's obviously an opinion for someone who never saw it...it completely changes the ride...it makes it operate as designed.

Currently, It's just an average rollercoaster In a shell...the yeti was the key "story" component.

This is not a "great" ride as many claim as is. It can't be by definition. But neither is mine train...that's a kiddie coaster. You need to have a discerning audience to ever be held accountable for your failures...and that doesn't happen in lake buena vista these days.
I don't think you can say it will never happen. Rohde has publically said he wants to fix it. There are numerous plans out there to fix it. The problem right now is Disney giving the money towards the fix. Obviously under current management it isn't going to happen but if someone new comes in it's possible.

I don't think you can say it will never happen. Rohde has publically said he wants to fix it. There are numerous plans out there to fix it. The problem right now is Disney giving the money towards the fix. Obviously under current management it isn't going to happen but if someone new comes in it's possible.

Sorry...my prediction is they never fix it

I also feel like a lot of guests don't even know the Yeti is supposed to move. When I was there last, our party was talking about this while in the queue and all the people around us had no idea about the Disco Yeti and it's former glory.

It will happen right after Pleasure Island is brought back. As said previously, I don't think most people even know there is a problem with it, so I can't see them fixing it.

It will happen right after Pleasure Island is brought back. As said previously, I don't think most people even know there is a problem with it, so I can't see them fixing it.
Well we might see a pleasure island vibe with the Edison. They just put out a job posting for a general manager with night club experience.

I hope they fix it eventually. ...and I'll bet that they will, in conjunction with a big refurb; but there's no reason to close the ride for months just to have him swipe at us. It's a great ride as it is - and yes, I've ridden it multiple times with the Yeti operational.

The problem right now is Disney giving the money towards the fix. Obviously under current management it isn't going to happen but if someone new comes in it's possible.

Back in 2013 during the Backstage Magic tour of Imagineering during one part where people were having individual interactions with ***** I asked one of the Imagineers on the tour about if they would ever fix the Yeti. He was surprisingly candid about it. He said that there is a plan in place but requires about 6 weeks of total shutdown of the ride but it won't get approved because the attraction is too popular to shut down for that long - and guests are generally satisfied with it anyways. (To give you an idea on how they answered most questions - I asked them about whether they were working on anything for Star Wars, and the guy just shrugged and said "It's Star Wars.")

That's why I think it isn't about money - well everything is about money, but not about the money to fix it. It's the money to shut it down.

I'm going to disagree with @lockedoutlogic here. I've seen the Yeti in full operational mode, Disco Yeti, and Lights Out Yeti. While it definitely adds a nice POP at the end of the ride to have the creature swipe at you, I don't think it changes the ride in a fundamental story-telling way. One big problem the ride has always had is that you go past the Yeti SOOO quickly that even when he's lit a lot of people miss him completely. Plus putting him mere seconds from the end means he isn't really missed that much as an integral part of the story. I think it would've been much more interesting to have put a spot in the ride, either where the projection image is, or another slowed down spot, where the train move slowly through a cavern, and then suddenly out of the mist the Yeti came out, just as the train took off for the final section of the ride.

Anyways - my comments are neither here nor there. Don't expect Yeti to be fixed too soon. I bet it happens someday, and they'll sell it as "the All-New Expedition Everest like you've never seen it before"*

*Unless you were here in 2006-2007.

I don't think it's too high on their list right now. It's still a great ride and continues to entertain guests even without the yeti in full motion.

From what I understand - and I could be mistaken - the issue is not the Yeti itself. I believe the Yeti "works". The problem is in the foundation the yeti is on. The motion had caused cracking from too much stress on the foundation. Fixing this kind of issue, with everything hidden in the middle of the mountain, would be a pretty big job. Like I said, I don't know this to be fact but I've heard it as an explanation, and it seems to make sense.

Either way, I don't think you'll see jack about this in 2017... or 2018, 19, 20, 21....

Over the years there have been lots of rumors and speculation as to what the real problem is. I saw this posted recently on another message board. Of all the explanations I have read this one has the best provenance and provide a very plausible explanation for the issues and for why they haven't been fixed.

"Ok, so back in September I was at a conference at WDW, and the wife decided to book a Dine With An Imagineer lunch at DHS. I skipped one of my educational sessions to do this, and we ended up with a 2-for-1. The main imagineer was a Show Design and Production manager, who was a DWAI veteran (and most recently involved in the Frozen Ever After project); the other guy was a mechanical engineer in charge of show quality, who was a newbie-in-training, at least when it came to these dinners. He explained to us that it was his job to do periodic "reviews" of the rides, and point out areas where show quality is falling below certain standards. He's also heavily involved in maintaining ride systems and animatronics. It was a fantastic experience, and we learned a lot about how things work behind the scenes, but nearing the end of our time, I (obviously) couldn't resist bringing up the Yeti.

Immediately upon my mentioning the Yeti, I could see that it was an obvious a sore spot for him. He stated that there have been multiple proposals put forth for repairing it, but none of the "big shots" have been on board. As for the specific problem, he mentioned that there are a couple of factors: flaws in the original "design calculations" (these were his words), particularly with regard to operational and maintenance conditions on such a large animatronic, and inability to perform proper maintenance on the Yeti. No mention of "shifting/failed foundations" as is often suggested. As a practicing structural engineer, I wanted to know whether this was the problem, and he indicated that the main issue is the animatronic itself.

The other factor is the ability to perform maintenance on the animatronic. I think this is the source of rumors that they "can't replace /fix it without opening up the mountain" rumors, but it's actually much simpler, and this issue ties into the first. He specifically talked about unanticipated stresses in parts of the animatronic due to lack of maintenance in other parts. If one of the motors in the yeti's elbow wears out or isn't functioning properly, but they continue to operate under those conditions, then higher stresses are transferred to the shoulder and chest, etc. My best guess regarding his comments about "incorrect calculations" is that he was referring to fatigue related problems in the robotic parts, and possibly in other structural supports.

The other major factor is that things have changed dramatically at WDW in the last few years regarding their compliance with OSHA standards for maintenance and fall protection. Any new work done to get the Yeti operational means that they have to update the design to meet these standards, so that ongoing maintenance on the animatronic can be safely performed. This would involve major upgrades to allow compliance with fall protection and other things related to maintenance workers.

It was encouraging at least to see how much it bothered him that it didn't work. He brought up the Universal dig re: their Kong animatronic (it moves...) and said that he and his colleagues all read blogs and other social media comments for research and to pick up on things they miss in their reviews. So, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth, but this guy was no bus driver..."

Without the yeti...Everest is a $30 mil vekoma off the shelf rollercoaster and a $250 million dollar queue...

Twist it however you want...but it's not a wdi ride otherwise.

So when we break up over "I still like it...", I won't say "it's not you, it's me..."

...because it's "you"

Demand more...stop making excuses at higher prices.

Without the yeti...Everest is a $30 mil vekoma off the shelf rollercoaster and a $250 million dollar queue...

So when we break up over "I still like it...", I won't say "it's not you, it's me..."

...because it's "you"

Look I never got to experience the yeti working but I don't think Vekoma builds mountains. That's WDI.

...because it's "you"

Careful.......that's my son and I's favorite ride at WDW you are discussing!! >:( :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter