Ideas for granny in disney

Princess*kerri

Earning My Ears
hello there! :wave2:

I've posted in the UK trip planning forum already and had 2 lovely ladies help me out but I thought I should post on here for some other more specific questions I have.
I"m planning a surprise trip to take my gran to Disneyworld next year around March time hopefully. I'm 18 however so I want to be extra careful, as I won't have parents with me. I'm looking mainly at Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom and staying within the disney area. But do you have any recommendations on which rides and shows to take her to? She's the young age of 83 and although she loves to be stubborn I know she couldn't handle anything too fast or wild - or at least I wouldn't risk it when so far away from home. I have been before but never in this mindset and even then it was a few years ago so I'm not exactly sure whats changed or have personal experience of it.

Also would we be able to pick up a wheelchair in the parks? So far she's always rejected the idea of having one anywhere, although she picked up a stick the other day after much fussing and now admits it helps her a great deal. I'm thinking that by next year she might get tired even quicker and having a wheelchair would be of great help.
Thank you!

Kerri

Hi Kerri,

Sounds like a great plan. I took my 85 year old aunt last year around christmas time. She fought us to use a wheelchair, that only lasted about 2 hours until all the characters started to fuss over her and she got tons of attention and was in charge of holding all purchases, etc. By day 2 she was in the chair saying, "Let's go ladies, let's get these wheels rolling." We actually stayed at the Yacht Club and she loved the area and the accessibility to Epcot and MGM.

She has not stopped talking about the trip and has made it clear that she will be returning this year. She has already requested a wheelchair and she would like a bell and a cup holder on it.

She enjoyed the character meals in the resorts. Make sure you tell cast members and characters its her first trip, they make a even bigger fuss. They actually gave my Aunt a certificate as a momento.

In the Magic Kingdom she went on the carousel on a horse that went up and down and was just laughing and being a kid again. She went on alot of rides, she is legally partially blind also, and she went on Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Rail Road, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear Ranger Spin, The Kilimanjaro Safaris.

She really enjoyed all of the parades and shows within the parks.

When your ready to tell her, you might want to buy a guide book for either her to read or you can explain every ride to her and let her decide, that's what we did.

Always have a camera ready, we have some great memories with the photos we took. She has her photo albums and her autograph book, no one is allowed to take them out of her room. Just have fun and let her be a kid again!!

Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!

Cinderella_belle

Brilliant idea! I totally forgot about the carousel...we have an old fashioned one here in central london and she always says how lovely it is, also didn't think about the character meals. Thank you!

Character meals are great because they visit every table, and there are no lines and little kids wont jump in front of her. If you get her a autograph book and pen she can remember the visits when she received her signatures. I got some great photo's at the character meals.

About Character meals, we found Cape May cafe at the Beach Club for breakfast, lots of buffet choices and great servers. My Aunt also enjoyed the breakfast at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian and she loved the Victorian theme of the hotel. Chef Mickey's can get a bit hectic, just something to keep in mind.

You can either rent a wheelchair at any parks or I believe you can rent one locally from a medical supply and it will be at the hotel when you get to it. Just ask when you make the reservations. They do rent motorized ones as well, if she would be interested in driving herself, independently, following you.

I'll post if I think of anything else.

Have fun!

Mother is 83 and I have been taking her to WDW for the last 20 years.

Anyway now that she is older I don't even attempt the RR.

she likes
in tomorrowland
bluzz lightsaber
tomorrowland transit authority (used to be WED people mover)

in fantasyland
tea cups
carousel - be careful mother has a tendency to get on one that is low - but when it is time to get off she is high. most of the time I can get her off - but last time we needed help.
Mickey's Philihar (next to the carousel)
if she doesn't mind heights - Dumbo -
Peter Pan's Flight
It's a Small World

in Liberty Square
Haunted Mansion

in Frontierland
Splash Mountain
County Bear Jamboo (although she say it was boring last time)

In adventureland
Jungle Cruise
she hates Pirates of the Car - it is too dark
enchanted TIki room
again if she likes heights - Magic carperts of Aladdin

IN EPCOT
Future world
body wars (this is closed) in WOnder of life
Universe of Energy
Mission:Space - mother likes this ride - but you might not!!! some people have gotten very, very sick on this ride
in the Land both 'listen to the land' and soarin' (this will probably be your longest wait)
journey into the imagnations

if you stay on-site at a WDW resort. You can get a free wheelchair. Just ask at the front desk or bell services.

thank you for all the recommendations and help!! :Pinkbounc Keep them coming if you think of more. You're all brilliant!

spiceycat said:
if you stay on-site at a WDW resort. You can get a free wheelchair. Just ask at the front desk or bell services.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

I believe that the wheelchairs can only be used at the resort, not in the parks. You will have to rent one to use in the parks.

Friendly Frog said:
I believe that the wheelchairs can only be used at the resort, not in the parks. You will have to rent one to use in the parks.
We stayed at OKW last year, and my daughter was pregnant with twins, we used the resort wheelchair in the parks (it comes with a lock and key)

bz8bls said:
We stayed at OKW last year, and my daughter was pregnant with twins, we used the resort wheelchair in the parks (it comes with a lock and key)

That would be great news. Though I do not need it every moment of the day, I must use a wheel chair during most of my stay. It would be nicer to use theirs instead of having to take mine through the airport! Thanks for the info.

I would recommend:

At MGM:
Beauty & the Beast
Indiana Jones
Fantasmic!
Muppets

At the Animal Kingdom:
It's Tough to be a Bug
Festival of the Lion King
Kiliminjaro Safari
Camp Mickey/Minnie has a show with Pocanhantas but I don't remember the name.

Epcot:
Illuminations
Visiting the various nations: Note some have movies (France as an example), others have a mild ride (Norway), and others have performers (UK's Beatles impressions, Chinese gymnists)
I like Living Seas but it is really becoming too much Finding Nemo for me. Still you can watch some dophins and manatees as well as the fish in the aquarium.
Ellen DeGen's energy universe

Magic Kingdom:
Share a Dream Come True Parade
Tiki Room
Buzz Lightsaver
Mickey's Philharmagic
Jungle Cruise
Pirates of the Caribbean
Cinderalla's showtimes in front of the castle
Wishes
Spectromagic parade

I've skipped most of the rides that might be too intense for your grandmother's age (they may not be either). But some interesting rides would be Dinosaur at the Animal Kingdom, Kali Rapids at the Animal Kingdom, Tower of Terror at MGM, Star Tours at MGM, Soarin' at Epcot, Mission Space at Epcot, Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom, Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom, and there are others as well. The main thing is to enjoy the trip. Take lots of pictures for the memories. You can also pose with characters at the various parks.

Friendly Frog said:
A few people have recently posted that they were only allowed to use the resort wheelchair in the resort or for a limited number of days. That seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. And it also seems to be more likely if it's really busy.
The resort wheelchairs are first come, first serve and can't be reserved ahead of time.
If you follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES Board, you can find a lot of info about wheelchairs and scooters in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of theboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter