I need tips! DL lover going to DW first time

Belledisney

Mouseketeer
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. So I just booked our first DW trip and I am so excited. My husband and I are DL AP holders and we go to DL a lot. I know DL like the back of my hand so I am somewhat nervous to be taking my first DW trip and being a newb. Lol So we pretty much like to eat and drink, anything kid free :) So I'm open for any advice about adults going to DW. I also am trying to figure out any general tips on tickets, magic bands, transportation or anything else. I know everything when I do to DL so this is such a change for me but I am so excited and we're going in February so I can read any links books whatever you reccommend I have time and I plan to research the whole time until then. Thank you.

Congrats and lucky you! I'm also a DL AP holder and I've been to WDW about 5 times now, so I know a lot but not as much as many people on this forum. How long is your trip? So you've only booked lodging far? If so, where are you staying? Have you booked ADRs?

Congrats and lucky you! I'm also a DL AP holder and I've been to WDW about 5 times now, so I know a lot but not as much as many people on this forum. How long is your trip? So you've only booked lodging far? If so, where are you staying? Have you booked ADRs?
Hi, thanks for the response! We're staying at the holiday inn next to DW for five days and we have a late flight home so I think I'm looking to get a 5 day park hopper because my flight there is early as well. I've only booked the hotel and flight. I'm sorry but what is a ADR? :-/

Last edited:
Good news, you have come to the right board for advice. Although I have never been to DL-life goals...I think the main difference is that WDW is much more of an encompassing world. If you can, switch to on property hotel. There is something for every budget. It solves the transportation issue if you fly in from out of state. You can use magical express to magic you to the hotel and bus system Disney has is unbeatable. Otherwise, rent a car. Relying on off property transport to the parks can be frustrating. ADR= Advance Dining Reservation. These are made 180 days before the date you want to eat. Necessary for some restaurants but in general a good idea because depending on the time of year, you go, you may not be able to get into a restaurant without one. Also if you book on property you can make Fast Pass Plus reservations before the general public.

Hi, thanks for the response! We're staying at the holiday inn next to DW for five days and we have a late flight home so I think I'm looking to get a 5 day park hopper because my flight there is early as well. I've only booked the hotel and flight. I'm sorry but what is a ADR? :-/

Yep, as Sue says above, WDW is huge compared to DLR, but you'll be able to experience a lot in 5 days, especially if you plan well. Check out the dining options on the WDW website to see if there are restaurants you are definitely interested in going to and see what's available while you're there. I also agree with Sue to rent a car if you're staying off property, as that will cut travel time to/from the hotel to the parks quite a bit. And you'll be able to book Fast Passes only 30 days in advance (vs 60 days for on property guests).

There are tons of threads on this forum with planning tips, so just start reading them and ask lots of questions. Have fun!

Ok, so I picked a hotel that had a free shuttle to the parks and said its really close to downtown Disney is that still not a good option? It also says "inside the Walt Disney resort" With points and all that I ended up getting the hotel practically free but, I could still change it if need be.
Disney dining ha. I know that. I will definitely look into that any good recommendations? We usually do one good dinner but for the most part we eat simple and drink ha.
So from what I have looked into having a magic band while staying on a property is more beneficial is there any point to having one of I keep my current hotel? Also where do I go to sign up for the fast pass plus the Disney website I assume? I need to read some more about the fast pass plus it seems way different then DL.
Thanks for all advice so far! It's sure a different time then DL already.

While it seems like February is still far away, it is actually within 180 days so you definitely need to be planning. While a guidebook can give you a general overview and is nice to have because there is lots of info in one place, the most up to date info will be in forums like this site.

You might like to take a look at HydroGuy's DLR Guide for DW vets. It's actually meant for DW vets making their first trip to Anaheim, but since you are very familiar with DL it will give you a good idea of the differences between the two:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/a-dlr-guide-for-wdw-vets.1162599/

You will find lots of information and you can ask questions on the other forums on this site. For questions and info on visiting the parks go to the Theme Parks and Strategies board:
http://www.disboards.com/forums/theme-parks-attractions-and-strategies.2/

There is even a dedicated thread on FP+:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/fa...ed-priorities-and-strategies-part-ii.3326057/

You will probably want to check out the Restaurants forum:
http://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-restaurants.14/

As for some of your specific questions:
Offsite hotel and transportation: Because DW is huge (about the size of San Francisco or twice the size of Manhattan), there are a number of hotels that are on Disney property, but not operated by Disney. The hotels near DTD (now called Disney Springs) may have their own shuttle service, but it would save a lot of time if you rent a car. You will pay for parking, but since you are only going to be there for 5 days you will want to maximize your vacation time and not be dependent on a shuttle's schedule. Taxi or uber are other options.

ADR: Advance Dining Reservation. Just like DL, it is not a reservation in the traditional sense, but when you check in you will be put on the list for the next available table for your party size. All the table service (TS) restaurants and Be Our Guest (Counter Service at breakfast and lunch, TS at dinner) take reservations. For some like Be Our Guest, the character meals, the dinner shows, 'Ohana and Cinderella's Royal Table (in the castle) reservations are a must. Since you mentioned you will probably do mainly Counter Service, also called Quick Service, you won't need reservations. Bars and lounges throughout DW do not require reservations and many have extensive small plates menus and at some you can even order from the full restaurant menu if attached to a restaurant.

Magic Band: Since you are staying offsite, you don't really need a MB because your ticket will be fine for entering the parks and making FPs when in the park. If you decide to book a Disney resort instead of Holiday Inn you will automatically get a MB.

FP+: Staying offsite you will be able to book 3 FP+ per day 30 days in advance. Guests staying onsite can book 60 days in advance. Personally, overall we prefer the legacy FP system still in use at DL, but one nice feature about FP+ is once in the park, if you want to change a FP or book an additional FP after using your first 3 you go to a kiosk instead of the individual ride.

February: Depending on when you are going in Feb there are some events that will increase attendance such as the Princess Half Marathon (Feb 18-21), Mardi Gras and Presidents' Week. Here's the current calendar of park hours, although there will be changes:
http://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/ParkHours/WDWTravelAgent_february.pdf

Wow. Thank you so much for all
That information! I really appreciate it.
I really just wanted a magic band to have one I am bummed it's not really something I can use. We are going in the begging of the month so I am going to get on top of it now! Thanks again.

Even if you are offsite you can purchase a Magic Band and use it to enter the park and book/use your fastpasses while in the park. There are quite a few different designs available both at DW and online at the Disney Store website. I just meant that being offsite, MBs are not an absolute necessity because you can use your park ticket for entry and for fastpasses, but you can definitely buy and use a MB if you want. :)

Even if you are offsite you can purchase a Magic Band and use it to enter the park and book/use your fastpasses while in the park. There are quite a few different designs available both at DW and online at the Disney Store website. I just meant that being offsite, MBs are not an absolute necessity because you can use your park ticket for entry and for fastpasses, but you can definitely buy and use a MB if you want. :)
I totally got what you meant. From
What I had read on my own so far also is they are geared more towards a onsite hotel stay as well. :) They just make some really cute ones. Haha

Hi. Wow, WDW for the first time. You are going to have a blast. Another benefit of staying on property is Extra Magic Hours, one park is either open an hour early or stays open later each day and it is good way to get extra park time that is less crowded. It may be a good idea for you to look over what is available in each park before you purchase park hopper tickets. You may find that there is enough to keep you busy in each park without "hopping"! It also depends on park hours during your visit. Also, there is always mini-golf, Disney Springs, many other non-park activities and you could spend a lot of time visiting some of the many beautiful resorts. Who knows, you may find where you want to stay on your next visit to WDW. I'm sure you will be hooked after your first visit. Have a "FANTASMIC" time.

Last edited:
As a California native, I love Disneyland. I then moved to Orlando and have now been to WDW a few times. It is very similar to Disneyland except WAY MORE SPREAD OUT!!! Everything has a name - Magic Kingdom is the park that I call "Disneyland", but some of the attractions you see in Disneyland in CA are in other parks like in Epcot. It is set up EXACTLY like Disneyland, but they have some new attractions that may not be in CA. I would definitely do a fastpass for the Mermaid ride and some of the things in Belle's village. That is the newest attraction and gets booked up fast.

Epcot is huge and tons of walking. Each park is so far away from the other I don't see how people "Park hop". I think 5 days in Disney on a 5 day vacation would be too much, but I am not a Disney fanatic. I don't think there is a 4 day option though. If you just plan on going to Disney and no place else, why not spend the extra dollars and stay at a Disney resort? I think it would be way worth it! The Extra Magic Hours are only available to certain tickets, and I think you have to be staying at a Disney property to be eligible for it.

I wasn't that impressed with the Animal Kingdom, it is just like going to the zoo, and if you are from CA and go to San Diego, you are lucky. Not everyone in the world has an awesome zoo available to them to go to. I also didn't care for the Hollywood Studios, and again if you go to CA, you probably have been to the California Adventures - if you like that you may like Hollywood Studio. My two favorites in WDW are the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. You will have a great time, don't worry!

There is a TON of information on these boards, and if you do a google search you will find other boards with lots of tips for WDW.

What hotel did you end up with?

As a California native, I love Disneyland. I then moved to Orlando and have now been to WDW a few times. It is very similar to Disneyland except WAY MORE SPREAD OUT!!! Everything has a name - Magic Kingdom is the park that I call "Disneyland", but some of the attractions you see in Disneyland in CA are in other parks like in Epcot. It is set up EXACTLY like Disneyland, but they have some new attractions that may not be in CA. I would definitely do a fastpass for the Mermaid ride and some of the things in Belle's village. That is the newest attraction and gets booked up fast.

Epcot is huge and tons of walking. Each park is so far away from the other I don't see how people "Park hop". I think 5 days in Disney on a 5 day vacation would be too much, but I am not a Disney fanatic. I don't think there is a 4 day option though. If you just plan on going to Disney and no place else, why not spend the extra dollars and stay at a Disney resort? I think it would be way worth it! The Extra Magic Hours are only available to certain tickets, and I think you have to be staying at a Disney property to be eligible for it.

I wasn't that impressed with the Animal Kingdom, it is just like going to the zoo, and if you are from CA and go to San Diego, you are lucky. Not everyone in the world has an awesome zoo available to them to go to. I also didn't care for the Hollywood Studios, and again if you go to CA, you probably have been to the California Adventures - if you like that you may like Hollywood Studio. My two favorites in WDW are the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. You will have a great time, don't worry!

There is a TON of information on these boards, and if you do a google search you will find other boards with lots of tips for WDW.

What hotel did you end up with?

Hi, thanks so much for all
The advice. I will totally look into getting FP for those rides.
I think I can do the five days no issue because I can spend everyday in Disneyland and not get sick of it. Lol my husband has discount tickets through work so we only end up paying three days but we get five and it's a park hopper. I'm not sure how much we will do but being that the price is still cheaper anyways that's what we're getting.
I had a feeling I would think that about animal kingdom I do go to the San Diego zoo a lot and it is amazing.
I'm still torn on the hotel because with points we are staying for nothing pretty much. So I think I might stay at a disney hotel one night depending on the magic hour but if I change hotels at this point for the whole trip I will be adding a lot of money to the trip that is basically free. Still up in the air though and I still have my research to do. I'm just so excited. :)

Hi, thanks so much for all
The advice. I will totally look into getting FP for those rides.
I think I can do the five days no issue because I can spend everyday in Disneyland and not get sick of it. Lol my husband has discount tickets through work so we only end up paying three days but we get five and it's a park hopper. I'm not sure how much we will do but being that the price is still cheaper anyways that's what we're getting.
I had a feeling I would think that about animal kingdom I do go to the San Diego zoo a lot and it is amazing.
I'm still torn on the hotel because with points we are staying for nothing pretty much. So I think I might stay at a disney hotel one night depending on the magic hour but if I change hotels at this point for the whole trip I will be adding a lot of money to the trip that is basically free. Still up in the air though and I still have my research to do. I'm just so excited. :)

I agree that you will not get sick of WDW for 5 days! There is just so much to do. However, I love Animal Kingdom, as I'm not a huge fan of zoos, although it's been years since I've been to San Diego (and I don't like LA Zoo). But the safari ride and theming at AK is brilliant and so detailed. Plus you can't miss Expedition Everest if you're into thrill rides, or the Festival of the Lion King, or Nemo show! I would not advise skipping it.

As for staying onsite, I think if you're only going for 5 days, I'm sure you'll be spending most of the time away from the hotel anyway, so staying offsite should be fine. Then you could spend the money you're saving on treats or souvenirs during your trip! :D

I agree that you will not get sick of WDW for 5 days! There is just so much to do. However, I love Animal Kingdom, as I'm not a huge fan of zoos, although it's been years since I've been to San Diego (and I don't like LA Zoo). But the safari ride and theming at AK is brilliant and so detailed. Plus you can't miss Expedition Everest if you're into thrill rides, or the Festival of the Lion King, or Nemo show! I would not advise skipping it.

As for staying onsite, I think if you're only going for 5 days, I'm sure you'll be spending most of the time away from the hotel anyway, so staying offsite should be fine. Then you could spend the money you're saving on treats or souvenirs during your trip! :D
Oh my gosh yes! I can't wait to ride the Everest ride.... It looks so bad a! Lol I really can't get enough Disney so as long as I'm doing something Disney I'm pretty sure we would love it.
I really did want to stay on site because everyone raves about it but I do find myself not spending a lot of time in the hotel so my main goal is clean close and has a shuttle and that's what I got. I just can't find myself to spend the extra cash, like you said I totally want to spend my extra cash on treats and everything else I can.
I was thinking about staying one night to get a feel for it and stay a night with a magic hour that's open later because it is a slow time and the park is closing earlier so might be nice to get that extra hour in one night. /)

Oh my gosh yes! I can't wait to ride the Everest ride.... It looks so bad a! Lol I really can't get enough Disney so as long as I'm doing something Disney I'm pretty sure we would love it.
I really did want to stay on site because everyone raves about it but I do find myself not spending a lot of time in the hotel so my main goal is clean close and has a shuttle and that's what I got. I just can't find myself to spend the extra cash, like you said I totally want to spend my extra cash on treats and everything else I can.
I was thinking about staying one night to get a feel for it and stay a night with a magic hour that's open later because it is a slow time and the park is closing earlier so might be nice to get that extra hour in one night. /)

Sure, if you can swing one night, then totally do it! But then you'll be hooked like the rest of us and always stay onsite. :P

If you could swing it, I would suggest you stay at one of the Epcot resorts. Being able to walk to Epcot, wander around the World Showcase, enjoy some food and drinks, watch Illuminations, and then casually walk back to your hotel is a great adult activity.

You will also be eligible for the next morning's EMH.

We are partial to the Boardwalk.

Have fun planning and wishing you a magical trip!

If you could swing it, I would suggest you stay at one of the Epcot resorts. Being able to walk to Epcot, wander around the World Showcase, enjoy some food and drinks, watch Illuminations, and then casually walk back to your hotel is a great adult activity.

You will also be eligible for the next morning's EMH.

We are partial to the Boardwalk.

Have fun planning and wishing you a magical trip!

Oh thanks for that tip ! I will
Look at hotels around there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter