I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I'm still trying to figure out the Hyatt system and this is helpful.

How far does all of this CC spend get you in terms of the nights you need for Globalist?

You need 60 nights to get to Globalist. So doing as suggested, you'd still need 39 nights. You'll get Milestone Awards along the way. If you don't have that many nights, it might still be worth it to you to make it to certain milestones, using cc spend to make up the difference. 30 nights gets you a Cat 1-4 free night, though it expires in 6 months. 40 nights gets you a suite upgrade award and a Guest of Honor award that you can use on yourself.

We've made 60-night Globalist for the last 2 years with a mix of stays and spend. But we have less stays this year, so I'm thinking I may stop at 40.

DH was just received denial from Chase (CIC) for the following reasons:
1. You have too many active accounts or too much available credit
2. New Chase business card recently opened

His last Chase business card was opened 7/11/2023, he opened a person Chase card 11/9/2023, applied for new card on 2/7/2024. He's 4/24 with 5 chase business cards open.

I'm not going to have him call the reconsideration line, I'll close 3 of his business cards and try again next month.

His last Chase business card was opened 7/11/2023, he opened a person Chase card 11/9/2023, applied for new card on 2/7/2024. He's 4/24 with 5 chase business cards open.

I'm not going to have him call the reconsideration line, I'll close 3 of his business cards and try again next month.
Does he have any AU cards that would make him appear to be 5/24 to Chase? They show up as accounts but recon can correct it so they aren’t counted.

Combined with our actual nights from travel we'll be at 50. Later on this year, I'll decide whether to put more spend on the cards or do a bit of mattress running. It may depend on whether there are other MSRs I want to work on or not. I have a list of the four cat 1 Hyatt House/Place in my area and the nights that are "off peak at each" - those nights are 3,500 pts, so I'd be wasting about 35K URs/Hyatt pts for the 10 nights, but it's worth it to me. If they do a "boundless journeys" or other kind of promotion as they have in the past that gives you back some number of points (like 3K back for every 2 stays), that will tip the scales for a mattress run.

I wish I had some Cat 1s within reach - I'd jump at the chance to get nights for 3500pts. My last accessible Cat 1 increased to Cat 2 in the last round of adjustments and now there are no Cat 1s in the Northeast.

As it is, I am already at 17 nights this year - 12 from stays and 5 from personal Hyatt CC. I already have 10 more booked before the middle of the year. With taxes and a kid at college, my spending tends to outstrip my ability to get new subs and a fair amount of that goes on the Hyatt cards so I am pretty confident that hitting globalist again this year should not be too hard.

Like you said with the breakfasts, determining 'Value' on some of the benefits is hard. How do you put a $$ value on staying at a nicer hotel that you might not have otherwise paid for, or staying in a suite versus a standard room when you would never have paid for the suite if it was on your dime. Even late checkout is a wonderful benefit if you have a late flight, but how do you value that in $$. All I know is that Globalist status has value to me, enough so that I don't mind jumping through a couple hoops to make sure I requalify. However, it is not for everyone and anyone considering pushing for Globalist really needs to be sure that Hyatt has properties that fit their travel plans so they can take advantage of the benefits.

Ouch - hope this isn't a sign of Chase tightening lending policy.

I assume you have checked the obvious but just in case....

1) Total credit lines with Chase <50% income
2) Total credit utilization <10%
3) Checked credit report for anything strange (new chase biz card reason seems odd if last one was July)
4) Total Chase cards open? I haven't seen anything definitive, but I like to keep it below 4 Biz and 4 personal.

Hopefully all goes well next time.

I'll share my plans in case it's helpful, and in case anyone wants to chime in on it and give feedback!

The biz card gets you 5 qualifying nights per $10K spend, which is 1 night better than the personal's 2 nights per $5K IF you would be spending enough. But the personal comes with 5 qualifying nights just for holding the card.

It helps, but you have to spend a lot or combine this with a lot of stays. We mostly stay at Hyatts if possible, and have 29 nights booked at Hyatts for this year (the only times we're not staying at a Hyatt is Tokyo Disney, a cruise, and two nights at an Amex FHR hotel to use up our Plat credits).

I have Globalist and want to keep it. I have a tally of how much our free breakfasts and free parking would have cost (even though I know we wouldn't have dined at the hotels' restaurants for breakfast without the benefit) to help show how much the benefit is worth to us. Last year it was over $1500. I think it will be higher this year because we have more nights at places where free breakfast isn't included for all (as is the case with SLH properties).

So I plan to first get the Biz card and put at least $20K on it over several months, that more than meets the MSR and gets me 10 qualifying nights. Then, the plan is to get the personal card and put at least $15K on it--MSR met, plus 5 nights for holding the card, plus 6 nights for the spend. That's at least 21 nights from CCs.

Combined with our actual nights from travel we'll be at 50. Later on this year, I'll decide whether to put more spend on the cards or do a bit of mattress running. It may depend on whether there are other MSRs I want to work on or not. I have a list of the four cat 1 Hyatt House/Place in my area and the nights that are "off peak at each" - those nights are 3,500 pts, so I'd be wasting about 35K URs/Hyatt pts for the 10 nights, but it's worth it to me. If they do a "boundless journeys" or other kind of promotion as they have in the past that gives you back some number of points (like 3K back for every 2 stays), that will tip the scales for a mattress run.
yeah, this year I'm at 50 organically then with the spend at the hotels I should be pretty close I still need to put on for another 2 nights but I should be good to go I think. Personally, I hate overspending I used to not put the amount my hotel cost in my spreadsheet in case I canceled I just wanted to be sure last year I hit 68 nights so ofc I pre-paid some things to get 70 for another certificate. It would be great to put all the spend on Hyatt and hotels that's the best way to get points IMO but its easier said than done. My Hyatt spreadsheet and tracking spreadsheets have evolved as time goes on I realize its a point problem.

If I PC a CSP to CSR, does the 4 year Sapphire clock restart? Or does it keep the original date from the CSP since I wouldn't be getting the sign-up bonus on CSR?

Last edited:
Are you staying near the airport the night before? The later flight seems less painful. I would not be happy having to wake up at 3 am for the early flight. If you have Priority Pass, there’s a decent lounge at SJC.

If not staying near the airport, you might as well take the early flight since you’re not sleeping either way.
I’m going to book us a room at the Hyatt that’s really close to the airport with transferred points from my CSP. We don’t have priority pass.

Why buy the BS fare? It's pricey and families get to board after the A group, there are still many available rows by then. You could also do early bird check in for a little more per person and likely get in with the A group. Or, if none of that works, look into how much upgrading your boarding (which gets you A1-15) would cost vs the price of BS fare.
Normally I buy Anytime on every flight, so we may do that. I’m just thinking with 30% off, it’s only $35 more instead of $50 for BS so why not! I have the SWA card that has 4 free BS upgrades a year, but I’m planning on using them for our Labor Day weekend trip if possible. I don’t know why I have such a hard time buying WGA and save the extra money, but it just stresses me out to think I won’t be near the front of the plane. It’s in my head I know. 🤦🏼‍♀️

DH has been on the phone trying to get a CFU approved. It's an entry level card for goodness sakes. I think they are making things much harder now. A friend had to recon for a CIU last month.

3) Checked credit report for anything strange (new chase biz card reason seems odd if last one was July)
4) Total Chase cards open? I haven't seen anything definitive, but I like to keep it below 4 Biz and 4 personal.

I think they are tightening up the approvals (see above). DH is at 2/24 and the credit line is way way below 50% of income and they still wanted him to move some credit around.

1) Total credit lines with Chase <50% income - That's probably where i need to do some clean up.
2) Total credit utilization <10% - yes, we always keep at a 1%
3) Checked credit report for anything strange (new chase biz card reason seems odd if last one was July) - just checked, everything looks fine.
4) Total Chase cards open? I haven't seen anything definitive, but I like to keep it below 4 Biz and 4 personal. He has 3 personal and 5 business. I'm just going to reduce credit line and # of cards and try again in 30 days. We need to put some spend on my Hilton Business card so we'll do that this month.

i just got an email about Instacart renewal, Does anyone see where Chase is extending it? I'm not sure if its worth 99$ I use it once a month for the CSR credit.

i just got an email about Instacart renewal, Does anyone see where Chase is extending it? I'm not sure if its worth 99$ I use it once a month for the CSR credit.
If you have any other Chase cards (like CFF or CFU), I think they also offer free Instacart+, and you can “stack” the membership periods. I managed to push my membership out all the way to Nov 2024 thanks to an embarrassing number of CFFs between me and P2.

I’ve done some searching and digging through old posts but haven’t had luck finding exactly what I’m looking for, even though I’m sure this has been asked a zillion times…

Paris hotels.

I’m Platinum Marriott and zero status Hyatt (but plenty of Hyatt points and URs). Looking for a Paris hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary trip - planning to spend probably 3 nights in Paris in early September 2025 (I know, I’m ridiculous with my planning!)

I’m leaning towards a Marriott property for free breakfast and maybe club lounge access? Any recommendations for well-located Marriotts (we are planning on all the normal Paris tourist activities, as this is our first trip there). A million bonus points for a hotel with air conditioning (we are heat wimps at night) and an open club lounge.

Suggestions? Or convince me it makes sense to stay at a Hyatt without any status?
The Marriott on the Champ d'Lasee was wonderful and breakfast was amazing. as platinum you deffinitely want to take advantage of their breakfast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter