I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, tried to use a Visa gift card at Walmart which had $168 on it to buy a 98 cent tube of kids sparkle crest so that I would have toothpaste on hand that the grands would enjoy brushing their teeth with.

The poor cashier did everything she could and couldn't make it work. I told her it had to be run as credit but since I couldn't see her side I don't know what was happening. On my side it did not ask for a pin, so no ability to hit the green button.

I just dragged out a credit card. But, when I return on a less busy day, I will be ready to let it play out. She kept telling me it says the card is not activated. It was a $200 fee free from Staples that worked fine earlier and after my Walmart experience, Costco happily drained $66 xx from it.

I don't go into Walmart often enough that it matters to me and I don't MS, so no biggie. But a Visa card should work for a merchandise purchase there.

Does this mean that if I am 4/24 I can keep getting business cards from Chase even if it puts me over 5/24?

Most business cards will not count for 5/24. That's why people are so happy to get them. You do need to pace yourself and don't abuse it. Chase has been known to shut people down. But one every 3 months or so should be okay. You just can not get any personal cards until your count is lower if you wish to continue getting biz cards.

I am about to finish the spend on my SW biz card. I will get another 50,000 RR plus a few thousand from my spend. That will give me roughly 109,000 (give or take) since January. Will still need 16,000 (give or take) to get the CP. I was kind of thinking that I would refer DH and that would get me there but he just got a Venture X and we won't have that spend done for a while. I would like that CC sooner!

What are some ways to earn points besides cc and flying? I am not sure I do enough portal shopping. What else am I not thinking of?

ETA: Oh, I do have just over 16,000 UR in my account (way more in DH's but those are earmarked for a trip already) that I could transfer but I would have to upgrade one of my freedoms to do so. Could be an option. but would cost me the annual fee.

I am about to finish the spend on my SW biz card. I will get another 50,000 RR plus a few thousand from my spend. That will give me roughly 109,000 (give or take) since January. Will still need 16,000 (give or take) to get the CP. I was kind of thinking that I would refer DH and that would get me there but he just got a Venture X and we won't have that spend done for a while. I would like that CC sooner!

What are some ways to earn points besides cc and flying? I am not sure I do enough portal shopping. What else am I not thinking of?

ETA: Oh, I do have just over 16,000 UR in my account (way more in DH's but those are earmarked for a trip already) that I could transfer but I would have to upgrade one of my freedoms to do so. Could be an option. but would cost me the annual fee.

There are some hotels through the SW portal that give a high number of points. I considered it but couldn't find one that made sense for me.

The support route is the easiest. Personal SUBs are now 40k for $1000 spend, if it's worth a 5/24 slot to you.

Last edited:
Does this mean that if I am 4/24 I can keep getting business cards from Chase even if it puts me over 5/24?
This quirky Chase rule really confused me for a bit. Chase biz cards don't count towards your 5/24 limit, but, you have to be 4/24 or under to get approved for a Chase biz card. So if you are 4/24 and under, you can continue to get Chase biz cards.

I also need to start earning points for business class tickets for 2 to HI next summer. Anyone have advice about which airlines are best for getting bus class seats to HI on pts? I am in the southeast, but could reposition on SW so I am open to any airlines.
My answer indirectly addressed your question, so my apologies if doesn't answer what you asked. You may already know this because of your European trip. I like to use awardhacker.com to get an idea of points that would be needed per airline or program. It will give you a variety of flight options, the starting points per flight, which program you should be booking through, and what program you can earn those points on (MR, UR, etc). It doesn't give you an idea of how much you'd pay in taxes/fuel surcharges. Once I have an idea of some airlines to research, then I go directly to their sites and get a feel for how many points things are actually going for, etc.

Many people try to book the day (hour, minute) their flight becomes available, somewhere between 330-365 days in advance. It's smart of you to be starting this research now so that you'll know which program to be earning points through.

HI is a popular biz class award destination, there are likely lots of points blog posts that might give you a better idea of the experience on each airline.

I’ve been travel planning in Naples. My ex and his wife are expecting so I think I need to move dd into her apartment in august and go visit her for family weekend/celebrate her birthday.

Not easy but I found an okay hotel close to campus to use my bonvoy fnc at for move in. Most hotels were 40k+. I then got a one way ticket home on sw using travel funds. She wants to take her car (she’ll have an on campus apartment so that will make food shopping easier) so I’ll drive down with her.

For family weekend I’m thinking of using one of my Amex fhr offers. Will probably do the ritz Carlton again.

On the first flight with the puppy. Omg this is stressful! She won’t stop scratching at the bag. At least she’s not barking—yet.

and my dosh account was suspended. Found out when I tried to cash out. Oh well. Was good while it lasted.
I’m behind on this thread so maybe has someone already suggested this - but reach out to Dosh. I had the same thing happen, and they unlocked my account in like 2 days and I was able to transfer out my balance (which was alllll from OD GC purchases).

And, tried to use a Visa gift card at Walmart which had $168 on it to buy a 98 cent tube of kids sparkle crest so that I would have toothpaste on hand that the grands would enjoy brushing their teeth with.

The poor cashier did everything she could and couldn't make it work. I told her it had to be run as credit but since I couldn't see her side I don't know what was happening. On my side it did not ask for a pin, so no ability to hit the green button.

I just dragged out a credit card. But, when I return on a less busy day, I will be ready to let it play out. She kept telling me it says the card is not activated. It was a $200 fee free from Staples that worked fine earlier and after my Walmart experience, Costco happily drained $66 xx from it.

I don't go into Walmart often enough that it matters to me and I don't MS, so no biggie. But a Visa card should work for a merchandise purchase there.
I just used a staples VGC at Walmart self checkout. I used it a debit, no issues.

Points transferred into SW do not count towards the CP.

I thought that but then saw something while googling that said differently. But I know you're right. Ugh. That would have been too easy.

There are some hotels through the SW portal that give a high number of points. I considered it but couldn't find one that made sense for me.

The support route is the easiest. Personal SUBs are now 40k for $1000 spend, if it's worth a 5/24 slot to you.

Very helpful. Thanks!

Anyone stayed in Salt Lake City? We have one night there this summer and I've got a Doubletree Suites Downtown booked on points that fits the 6 of us. We will only be in SLC for 1 night before heading out to Moab. After last week's awful Embassy Suites experience in Orlando, I looked at the reviews of this hotel a little more closely and it seems a bit older, showing its age. Only other options are Home2suites on points. How are Home2suites? I'd rather use HH points although I do have UR I could use for Hyatt as there are plenty of 8k hyatt points options. Thanks!

Anyone stayed in Salt Lake City? We have one night there this summer and I've got a Doubletree Suites Downtown booked on points that fits the 6 of us. We will only be in SLC for 1 night before heading out to Moab. After last week's awful Embassy Suites experience in Orlando, I looked at the reviews of this hotel a little more closely and it seems a bit older, showing its age. Only other options are Home2suites on points. How are Home2suites? I'd rather use HH points although I do have UR I could use for Hyatt as there are plenty of 8k hyatt points options. Thanks!

We stayed at the Residence in West Jordan for several nights in December when we were out there for our son's birth (adoption). We were really impressed, definitely one of the nicest suite hotels we've ever stayed at. It's about a 20 minute drive from SLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter