I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit Cards applied for in the last 24 months
03/21 - Chase Freedom (0% interest)
03/21 Citi Diamond Preffered (0% interest)

Secondly we'll want to know a little bit about you. Specifically - what you spend, and what you want to earn!
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)? A couple of thousand maybe if I were to put all of my own expenses on my cards. Will also put bf's AC equipment on them from time to time (he owns an HVAC company)
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest? Pay in full every month
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? IAH or HOU
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? United or Southwest, but have them all (work travel)
  • Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport? Yes
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? I have them all (travel for work), but no preference.
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? Yes, United, Southwest, Marriott, IHG, Westin, maybe one other?
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? family trips - I LOVE to travel! We love Hawaii and I travel to Switzerland for work every couple of years and would love to take the family again
  • When do you plan to take these trips? I travel several times a year so starting next year might be ideal for paying for trips with points?
  • Who does your travel party consist of? family - two parents and one child (16) OR two parents and all four children (adults) with spouses
You've gotten lots of good advice, but something from your first post struck me - you say you are not using the SW card because of the interest rate, but then you said you pay your balance in full each month. You would not pay any interest on charges if you pay them off each month.

Yep, second what Georgina said - i don't even glance at interest rates on any CCs. Why worry about it if it's irrelevant since you pay in full? I would just focus on the best card for your situation (sign-ups, earning potential, what you want to book, etc.) and not stress at all about interest rates

just did it again it worked
4 days of this. now I want sushi from doordash lol
View attachment 644714
What did you do?

The Chase SW cards can only be product changed to other type of SW Chase card….you could cancel after the points post but the AF will not be refunded
To get a sign up bonus you could apply for a new Chase card…to give the best advice it would be helpful to answer the questions in the first post here
So to not pay the annual fee on a SW card you have to cancel before the anniversary points post? My wife and I each have one and I just assumed you could get the points and then cancel once the AF posts and it would be refunded like other cards.

Yep, second what Georgina said - i don't even glance at interest rates on any CCs. Why worry about it if it's irrelevant since you pay in full? I would just focus on the best card for your situation (sign-ups, earning potential, what you want to book, etc.) and not stress at all about interest rates
Yeah, I don't know what any of the interest rates are on my cards. It isn't something that comes into play when I am picking the next card to apply for.

I need help with those familiar with United Rewards. So, planning a cruise to Europe in May 2023, after DD graduates from college. Starting to accumulate United Points in hopes of not having to pay much for flights (Paying for 5). So, far DH has a bit over 100,000 points. I will soon have 100,000 points after referral to DS. DS just got approved for United Biz card, so he will at minimum have 80,000 points and may have DD sign up also. (we also all have over 100,000 each in UR's that can be transferred).

Looking at flights this May to sort of get an idea. Looks like I can get Super Saver Flights for like 60,000 to 70,000 RT. Cash price would be about $1200 per person. Seems like this would be the way to go. With Super Saver flights do you get to pick your seats in advance or do you have to pay more to do this?

If we needed to transfer UR points - is it instant?

My brother, SIL and niece are going also. They are not too big into Credit Cards ( I Try...- they just don't have a lot of expenses). My brother and SIL do each have 100,000 URs. So, I am thinking it would be best to have them each sign up for a United Account and then when the time comes - it would most likely be better to transfer some UR's to United and book that way. Correct?

Also, I will most likely need to book one airfare at a time as we would each have our own United points. If for some reason we don't have enough points on a reservation - can you do a points/cash booking?

Thanks for all the help. Trying to get all my ducks in a row, so I know what to expect.

I am thinking about buying tickets for the Jackson Hole rodeo also. It just works out that one of the nights we're in Jackson Hole, will be one of the nights they have the rodeo. I'm thinking that would be a cool experience. Any thoughts of anyone that's been? I've never been to one, but I love shows like Yellowstone and Heartland and all that "out west ranch life, working with horses" type stuff, so I think going to a rodeo needs to be a right of passage for me, LOL.

I was taken to many a rodeo as a kid. The last one I went to was in Aspen with DH. He thought it was ok but then we usually leave him at home when we go horseback riding :rotfl2:. I think if you are interested in the western style of life and like Yellowstone and Heartland then you'll really like it. I've been riding horses as long as I can remember so that's all kinda "normal" to me and I can see the athletic abilities of the rodeo. I think you'd have a good time.

I need help with those familiar with United Rewards. So, planning a cruise to Europe in May 2023, after DD graduates from college. Starting to accumulate United Points in hopes of not having to pay much for flights (Paying for 5). So, far DH has a bit over 100,000 points. I will soon have 100,000 points after referral to DS. DS just got approved for United Biz card, so he will at minimum have 80,000 points and may have DD sign up also. (we also all have over 100,000 each in UR's that can be transferred).

Looking at flights this May to sort of get an idea. Looks like I can get Super Saver Flights for like 60,000 to 70,000 RT. Cash price would be about $1200 per person. Seems like this would be the way to go. With Super Saver flights do you get to pick your seats in advance or do you have to pay more to do this?

If we needed to transfer UR points - is it instant?

My brother, SIL and niece are going also. They are not too big into Credit Cards ( I Try...- they just don't have a lot of expenses). My brother and SIL do each have 100,000 URs. So, I am thinking it would be best to have them each sign up for a United Account and then when the time comes - it would most likely be better to transfer some UR's to United and book that way. Correct?

Also, I will most likely need to book one airfare at a time as we would each have our own United points. If for some reason we don't have enough points on a reservation - can you do a points/cash booking?

Thanks for all the help. Trying to get all my ducks in a row, so I know what to expect.
I’m no expert but I booked three round-trip tickets last November and December for a family of three, all coming on different days and different flights to visit our daughter in Germany. I’m going back with my sister in May and then doing a Disney cruise to Norway out of Dover in September and then going again to Germany in November. All flights booked on point so far. Thanks so much to this board! I book one way flights, as I’ve made multiple changes already on future tickets! It’s 30,000 points generally in economy to go into most destinations in Europe. I prefer nonstops so that’s why I prefer United because of the hub in Houston. You can get your seat assignment when you book. As long as you cancel or change your flight 30 days before travel, you can redeposit the points and get your travel fee reimbursed. Super easy! It’s very easy to transfer points from Chase UR’s into United, but once they’re transferred, they cannot be transferred back. And yes, if you do not have enough points at the time of booking it will show you what the cash price will be in addition to the points. Sometimes the points are a little less coming back into the states depending on where you travel from. May save you another thousand points or so.

Thanks! I’m looking for Hawaii so the chart shows 15k. I’m pretty flexible with airports and dates but can’t find anything under 20k.
The chart shows 40k for first class and I found flights for that, but that flight isn’t showing on AA.

Hmm. Maybe using the lower range isn't reliable. When I was researching using AA for Alaska, I saw 12.5k mentioned for cross country, so I thought the lower range pattern applied to everything. I think it depends on the fare code, would need to be T for economy and E for first. But the only way to find this that I came across is using a paid version of ExpertFlyer. So maybe it's just easier to hunt around in AA.

Mine is still showing the 1/31/22 date….
When you cancelled dash pass did you also take the CSR off as a method of payment then add back .
no, i should have multi quoted this, I just canceled and went back 24 hours later, it finally changed. I canceled it 4 times in 4 days.

So I would go on, dash pass, cancel, then reapply. Until the expiration date changed i also got a pop up the last time i was so stoked it actually worked i didn't do a screen shot :)

no, i should have multi quoted this, I just canceled and went back 24 hours later, it finally changed. I canceled it 4 times in 4 days.

So I would go on, dash pass, cancel, then reapply. Until the expiration date changed i also got a pop up the last time i was so stoked it actually worked i didn't do a screen shot :)
Thanks…i cancelled and added back an hour later so probably too soon

I’m no expert but I booked three round-trip tickets last November and December for a family of three, all coming on different days and different flights to visit our daughter in Germany. I’m going back with my sister in May and then doing a Disney cruise to Norway out of Dover in September and then going again to Germany in November. All flights booked on point so far. Thanks so much to this board! I book one way flights, as I’ve made multiple changes already on future tickets! It’s 30,000 points generally in economy to go into most destinations in Europe. I prefer nonstops so that’s why I prefer United because of the hub in Houston. You can get your seat assignment when you book. As long as you cancel or change your flight 30 days before travel, you can redeposit the points and get your travel fee reimbursed. Super easy! It’s very easy to transfer points from Chase UR’s into United, but once they’re transferred, they cannot be transferred back. And yes, if you do not have enough points at the time of booking it will show you what the cash price will be in addition to the points. Sometimes the points are a little less coming back into the states depending on where you travel from. May save you another thousand points or so.

Thank You!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Nice about the redeposit of points also, if for some reason we need to cancel.

Are 1st checked bags free on International Flights? Or only if you have the Credit Card?

Thank You!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Nice about the redeposit of points also, if for some reason we need to cancel.

Are 1st checked bags free on International Flights? Or only if you have the Credit Card?

First checked bags are free on International flights even without the credit card.

Not 100% sure about the free checked bag. I booked my DS’s flight on United points and he got a free bag. He does not have a United card but I do.

Credit Cards applied for in the last 24 months
03/21 - Chase Freedom (0% interest)
03/21 Citi Diamond Preffered (0% interest)

Secondly we'll want to know a little bit about you. Specifically - what you spend, and what you want to earn!
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)? A couple of thousand maybe if I were to put all of my own expenses on my cards. Will also put bf's AC equipment on them from time to time (he owns an HVAC company)
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest? Pay in full every month
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? IAH or HOU
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? United or Southwest, but have them all (work travel)
  • Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport? Yes
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? I have them all (travel for work), but no preference.
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? Yes, United, Southwest, Marriott, IHG, Westin, maybe one other?
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? family trips - I LOVE to travel! We love Hawaii and I travel to Switzerland for work every couple of years and would love to take the family again
  • When do you plan to take these trips? I travel several times a year so starting next year might be ideal for paying for trips with points?
  • Who does your travel party consist of? family - two parents and one child (16) OR two parents and all four children (adults) with spouses
I would recommend the Chase United business card that will give you 150,000 United points if you can swing the spend. It’s $20,000 in six months. I applied as sole proprietor. I’m getting ready to put house repairs from last year‘s busted pipes on the card. That should be pretty large! If the card had come in sooner I would’ve put the property taxes on it as well. I also live in the Houston area and have recently started flying United to visit our DD who is stationed in Germany in Air Force. I have three overseas flights planned this year. So that’s six round-trip tickets. I also supplement with Chase UR points.

What card would you guys recommend for wanting to stay and Swan and Dolphin and Reserve? Was thinking the AMEX Bonvoy card. Anyone have a Swan and Dolphin strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter