I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, link your accounts in the chase portal and transfer the points.

Couple other things- I know there's an Amex offer floating around for a chunk of money off of Holiday Inns- not sure if that would apply here.

Also, many of the IHG cards offer a stay 3 nights on points and get the fourth free, if you're looking to extend that trip.

I have only one Amex but will take a look; thank you! Sadly, our trip is only two nights.

Another option if you hold CSR, one that I've been doing, is pay cash for the room and use dining charges to PYB to offset the cost. Many of our tournaments require we book through them so this is the only way I can use points to cover softball travel. I just use my CSR for all dining.

Sadly just a CSP here!

Since IHG points have a low value of maybe 1/2 a cent per point, it may be best for you to just cash out some points to cover the cost of the rooms. At least that way you will get 1:1 value. You can cash out 1:1 as a statement credit or have it deposited in your bank account. 72000 points is $720 as a statement credit or as cash out. Your hotel may be that much as I don't know your dates, but looking at most of February it's more like $500ish for 2 nights. You can do this with any UR card.

Looking under earn/use - you will see 'cash'.

If you remember, @SouthFayetteFan did a lot of this to convert UR's into actual cash before PYB. SFF - correct me if I'm mistaken.
Oh now that is an idea... you're correct, the cash cost for the hotel is roughly $500 for two nights. Hmm I'll have to look into that more as well. Thank you!

Have I told you how much I appreciate this group?

You can, but the number of miles on Alaska needs to be the lowest in their range on the award chart. Otherwise, it doesn't show up on AA. Cross country that would be 12.5k one-way. If you see that on Alaska, it should show on AA as well.

I haven't had much luck with it, but we're tied to the school schedule.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/use-miles/award-charts

Thanks! I’m looking for Hawaii so the chart shows 15k. I’m pretty flexible with airports and dates but can’t find anything under 20k.
The chart shows 40k for first class and I found flights for that, but that flight isn’t showing on AA.

Random question....anyone who has Caesars Diamond, do you live in an area w/ online gambling? I'm just wondering if you get the $20 freebet monthly w/ matched status. If so, might make looking at the Wyndham biz card worth it, LOL. For the $95 fee I could get $20/mo to bet, and the $100 meal whenever the BF and I get back to Vegas.

Finally got everything booked for Yellowstone! SO excited! Thanks to everyone here for all the suggestions. We found flights using AA miles. We did two one ways, since we're flying into BZN and out of JAC. Wound up only 24K roundtrip (6K each leg per person), so we still have AA pts left for a quick Chicago trip this year too. We're going to use pts for a few nts at the Holiday Inn West Yellowstone, combined with a night in Gardiner (so we're close to North entrance), and two nights in Jackson Hole. We'll be driving through the park from West Yellowstone through GTNP, so we can also hit any close highlights along that route too. Our rental car is booked. Not the cheapest (around $700 for the one way rental for a week), but I'll keep checking on it. I feel like this trip is finally coming together. I hope the weather is good for it! We're going last week of August through Labor Day weekend.

I am thinking about buying tickets for the Jackson Hole rodeo also. It just works out that one of the nights we're in Jackson Hole, will be one of the nights they have the rodeo. I'm thinking that would be a cool experience. Any thoughts of anyone that's been? I've never been to one, but I love shows like Yellowstone and Heartland and all that "out west ranch life, working with horses" type stuff, so I think going to a rodeo needs to be a right of passage for me, LOL.

Product change advice needed:

I have a zero balance (just never use it because 15.94%APR) Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card. I've had it since 2014. I'd like to product change this, but I'm unsure how or if it's wise to do so. I paid my annual fee on Dec 1st and I know that I'll get 75000 miles on the anniversary date, which I think is in March. I'd like to product change (I think???) to a CSP or CSR. The only other Chase card that I have is a Chase Freedom 0% interest. My credit score is 810... and I only have one other card which is a Citi 0% interest card too.

Do you guys have suggestions? Do you need more info to give me the best guidance? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I am thinking about buying tickets for the Jackson Hole rodeo also. It just works out that one of the nights we're in Jackson Hole, will be one of the nights they have the rodeo. I'm thinking that would be a cool experience. Any thoughts of anyone that's been? I've never been to one, but I love shows like Yellowstone and Heartland and all that "out west ranch life, working with horses" type stuff, so I think going to a rodeo needs to be a right of passage for me, LOL.

Your trip sounds great! We went to the Tejas Rodeo when we were in San Antonio in the fall of 2020 and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We really had a great time. It's just so different that anything we had done before, so if it's similar, I would definitely recommend taking the time for it.

Product change advise needed:

I have a zero balance (just never use it because 15.94%APR) Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card. I've had it since 2014. I'd like to product change this, but I'm unsure how or if it's wise to do so. I paid my annual fee on Dec 1st and I know that I'll get 75000 miles on the anniversary date, which I think is in March. I'd like to product change (I think???) to a CSP or CSR. The only other Chase card that I have is a Chase Freedom (0%) interest. My credit score is 810... and I only have one other card which is a Citi no annual fee card too.

Do you guys have suggestions? Do you need more info to give me the best guidance? Thanks in advance!
You can't product change a Southwest card to a non-SW card.
You could product change your Chase Freedom to a CSP or CSR, but why not just apply for one?

Yes, it changed last fall at some point. Some of us with CSRs still have the old Expedia portal, but I’ve read that anyone with a new card gets the new portal. Some CSRs have been moved to the new portal, I think all CSPs are on the new portal.
Thank you!

I have a zero balance (just never use it because 15.94%APR) Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card. I've had it since 2014. I'd like to product change this, but I'm unsure how or if it's wise to do so. I paid my annual fee on Dec 1st and I know that I'll get 75000 miles on the anniversary date, which I think is in March. I'd like to product change (I think???) to a CSP or CSR. The only other Chase card that I have is a Chase Freedom (0%) interest. My credit score is 810... and I only have one other card which is a Citi no annual fee card too.

The Chase SW cards can only be product changed to other type of SW Chase card….you could cancel after the points post but the AF will not be refunded
To get a sign up bonus you could apply for a new Chase card…to give the best advice it would be helpful to answer the questions in the first post here

Your trip sounds great! We went to the Tejas Rodeo when we were in San Antonio in the fall of 2020 and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We really had a great time. It's just so different that anything we had done before, so if it's similar, I would definitely recommend taking the time for it.
Oooh, that sounds fun too! (Texas is on our bucket list for one day... we've never been!) A rodeo would definitely be something that is very different for us, as is this entire trip. We mostly stick to city and beach trips domestically. This will be our first national park trip. So I think we'll have to go for it! Thanks for letting me know it was a highlight for you guys! That makes me excited.

I have a zero balance (just never use it because 15.94%APR) Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card. I've had it since 2014. I'd like to product change this, but I'm unsure how or if it's wise to do so. I paid my annual fee on Dec 1st and I know that I'll get 75000 miles on the anniversary date, which I think is in March. I'd like to product change (I think???) to a CSP or CSR. The only other Chase card that I have is a Chase Freedom 0% interest. My credit score is 810... and I only have one other card which is a Citi 0% interest card too.

The Chase SW cards can only be product changed to other type of SW Chase card….you could cancel after the points post but the AF will not be refunded
To get a sign up bonus you could apply for a new Chase card…to give the best advice it would be helpful to answer the questions in the first post here

Credit Cards applied for in the last 24 months
03/21 - Chase Freedom (0% interest)
03/21 Citi Diamond Preffered (0% interest)

Secondly we'll want to know a little bit about you. Specifically - what you spend, and what you want to earn!
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)? A couple of thousand maybe if I were to put all of my own expenses on my cards. Will also put bf's AC equipment on them from time to time (he owns an HVAC company)
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest? Pay in full every month
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? IAH or HOU
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? United or Southwest, but have them all (work travel)
  • Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport? Yes
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? I have them all (travel for work), but no preference.
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? Yes, United, Southwest, Marriott, IHG, Westin, maybe one other?
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? family trips - I LOVE to travel! We love Hawaii and I travel to Switzerland for work every couple of years and would love to take the family again
  • When do you plan to take these trips? I travel several times a year so starting next year might be ideal for paying for trips with points?
  • Who does your travel party consist of? family - two parents and one child (16) OR two parents and all four children (adults) with spouses

You can't product change a Southwest card to a non-SW card.
You could product change your Chase Freedom to a CSP or CSR, but why not just apply for one?

I can apply for one. I'm here seeking the best advice on product change, or if that's the best route to go.... applying for a CSP or CSR is something that I can do.

Secondly we'll want to know a little bit about you. Specifically - what you spend, and what you want to earn!
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)? A couple of thousand maybe if I were to put all of my own expenses on my cards. Will also put bf's AC equipment on them from time to time (he owns an HVAC company)
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest? Pay in full every month
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? United or Southwest, but have them all (work travel)
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? I have them all (travel for work), but no preference.
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? Yes, United, Southwest, Marriott, IHG, Westin, maybe one other?
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? family trips - I LOVE to travel! We love Hawaii and I travel to Switzerland for work every couple of years and would love to take the family again
  • When do you plan to take these trips? I travel several times a year so starting next year might be ideal for paying for trips with points?
  • Who does your travel party consist of? family - two parents and one child (16) OR two parents and all four children (adults) with spouses
I can apply for one. I'm here seeking the best advice on product change, or if that's the best route to go.... applying for a CSP or CSR is something that I can do.
If you no longer want to pay the annual fee on the SW maybe you ask for a retention offer and reevaluate next year? Maybe just close it and get a new SW card. You won't be able to PC your Freedom until March (after the anniversary).

Since you are in Houston that's United and SW hubs, I would focus on United for international flights and SW for Hawaii. Neither have great SUBs right now (unless you are willing to open Business cards), you could get the CSR that has the 70K SUB, that gives you the opportunity to transfer Chase points to both SW & UA.

I’d definitely apply for the CSP or CSR with the spend you listed above….if you are interested in business cards…many of us here sell occasionally on eBay, etc …the CIC or CIU have a 75,000UR bonus free spending $7,500 in the first 3 months…both have no annual fee

We just got back from a 3 night stay in a poly studio. This is the first trip we’ve ever been so excited to drive home. The crowds and standby lines were insane and genie+/LL makes standby SO slow. We had lots of monorail issues to both MK and Epcot from the poly and TTC. Our passes expire in May and I’m not sure we’ll even use them again even though we only live an hour away. If crowds don’t thin out at all we most likely will let them expire. I never thought we would be in this position. Our ds is only 21 months and he talks about Disney all the time but this trip was not magical for any of us.
My sister was there same dates as you and they were a bit overwhelmed with the crowds. She also said Genie+ wasn't working for them on Tuesday at HS. I feel bad because it was their first trip. They did however say that their universal day was amazing (her boys are REALLY big HP fans).

I wouldn't bother with a product change to another Southwest card. If I wanted to continue to collect SW points, I would cancel the existing card before the next annual fee is due and apply again but not until I saw a card with the highest and best signup bonus.

Collecting UR's - ultimate rewards from Chase is as good as collecting SW points. They can be transferred to SW with a CSR, CSP or CIP. (Think I got them all).

Other than the business UR cards, SUB's are not at their highest right now. I would hold off or apply for a business UR card.

It looks like you are 2/24 with Chase for the next year or so. It's sort of a toss up, but if it's possible to get a business card (any online selling gig or whatever you might do as a Sole Proprietor using your name as business and your SSN plus 1K as potential gross earnings if a new business) that's probably your best route right at the moment.

CIC or CIU are 7500 UR for $7500 spend in 3 months. (HVac equipment sure would help!)

DD's CSR fee just posted. She has a CSP (did a double dip). What should she downgrade to? She has no other personal chase cards.

You've gotten lots of good advice, but something from your first post struck me - you say you are not using the SW card because of the interest rate, but then you said you pay your balance in full each month. You would not pay any interest on charges if you pay them off each month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter