I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven’t been on all day or much the last few days. We have family visiting and not a lot of free time. I’m heading to the news thread to get caught up!

Just wanted to let y’all know that my dh got a job offer! It’s a job he’s wanted for over a year. He interviewed last year in May but things didn’t work out for various reasons. Anyways, it’s looking like he will definitely accept! So excited for him but also really nervous as he will start traveling some. The job is a remote job so we can move anywhere but we won’t move for two years so we can let our dd16 graduate from here. But just know, for the next two years, y’all are going to be hearing about if we want to move/don’t want to move and if we do where!?? :P
That is amazing!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!pixiedust:

@disfanforlife - I thought about the self-support news and applying it to your situation, but a support link from the SW Biz to the SW Premier will only get you the standard 40k RR points SUB on the Premier + 10k RR support bonus, vs. the elevated 60k RR public offer that’s good until 6/9/19.

@disfanforlife Lain is absolutely correct, and I totally forgot about that! Good catch @Lain :magnify: <--- I think that needs to be your emoji!

I don't see a lot of talk about the Discover It card or the Capital One Savor. What are the thoughts on those cards?

That is odd. We've never shown our GE cards. I'll make sure to start carrying them from now on though.

Just to clarify, you cannot transfer Virgin points to ANA. They are partners. If ANA has partner award availability, you would be able to book the flight with Virgin Atlantic using Virgin Atlantic miles. ANA will not be able to book your flight. You also do not want to search for partner availability on ANA's site. Virgin Atlantic will not show partner availability on their site either. You check for the availability on United's site. IGnore what United says it will cost in miles. That's what it costs in United miles not in Virgin Atlantic miles. You will need 120,000 miles for a first class flight or 95,000 for business per person if you're flying from the East coast. The award chart for Virgin Atlantic is fixed.
If you are flying from the west coast then 110k for F class or 90k for J class.

Yes, you will need a frequent flyer account with Virgin Atlantic. I'd go ahead and set that up now. You won' be able to transfer URs to Virgin Atlantic unless you have a frequent flyer account set up with them.

You won't need one with ANA but it is a good idea to have one with all airlines. You may come across and airline you wish to fly in the future with points and miles or take advantage of some travel hacking opportunity. Some airlines will require you to have had your account open for a certain amount of time like Iberia, Flying Blue/KLM etc.
One thing I want to mention is when we booked our flights I was using United’s site to check for availability. When I called Virgin I had united’s site up just to double check dates and they didn’t have the same availability. I think they’re only given so many award seats so some dates on united’s site might not match what virgin has. It’s still a good tool to use when planning the flights out, just don’t rely heavily on it.

Most of the major hotel chains have co-branded credit cards that earn their program’s points with the major issuers. Chase offers Marriott, Hyatt, and IHG cards. Amex has Hilton and Marriott cards. Amex has 4 Hilton credit cards (3 personal, 1 business) that offer SUBs in the 100-150k Hilton Honors points range. If you got them all, that’s a lot of points (but those 3 personal cards would also add to your */24.) But Hilton doesn’t have a fixed awards chart so the points pricing could go up or down. I think @Haley R might’ve only gotten two Hilton cards for points toward her Hilton Tokyo Bay stay.

Jumping into Amex cards for Hilton could affect your longer term strategy with other Amex cards. You might’ve seen mention of Amex’s 100k Membership Rewards (“MR”) points offer on their Platinum card, which is highly targeted and tends to be easier to get if you don’t have any other Amex cards (basically, you’re a new customer they want to woo with a big, sweet offer). (But even if you get other Amex cards first, and don’t find yourself targeted for a 100k MR offer on the Platinum, that’s not so bad because the next best offer is 75k MR points.)

But more importantly, Amex is happy to approve you for new cards with SUBs attached, but only if you stay on their good side by continuing to spend on their cards even after meeting MSR. Or else, at some point you’ll receive a pop up warning when applying for a new card that, based on your history with Amex, you won’t get a SUB on the new card even if you’re approved. So this may lead to sub-optimal behavior in that you’re continuing to put spend on Hilton cards that may not have the best bonus categories to keep Amex happy; money that you could be spending on cards with better bonus categories and new cards with MSRs.

The Hilton Tokyo Bay (and the next door Sheraton) should be bookable on the Chase travel portal with UR points acting as cash. But again, you should compare the UR points you’d need to book the hotel on the Chase portal vs. how many Hilton Honors points you’d need to book directly with Hilton and whether those Hilton points are something you’d feel comfortable going after with Amex’s cards.
Yeah we only have the Hilton honors card and the Hilton honors biz card. We also earned points through other stays. The amount of points for our Hilton Tokyo bay room changed all the time and at one point went from 80k/night to 55k/night. I think it only stayed down at that price for a day or two. I was checking daily to see if the prices changed.

One of the reasons we didn’t book through chase was because the type of room we wanted was only available as non-refundable on the chase portal.

Haven’t been on all day or much the last few days. We have family visiting and not a lot of free time. I’m heading to the news thread to get caught up!

Just wanted to let y’all know that my dh got a job offer! It’s a job he’s wanted for over a year. He interviewed last year in May but things didn’t work out for various reasons. Anyways, it’s looking like he will definitely accept! So excited for him but also really nervous as he will start traveling some. The job is a remote job so we can move anywhere but we won’t move for two years so we can let our dd16 graduate from here. But just know, for the next two years, y’all are going to be hearing about if we want to move/don’t want to move and if we do where!?? :P

That is AWESOME NEWS!!! Congrats to him!! 🎉

But, are you really prepared to leave our great state?!?! 🏔 ☀Lol, just kidding, there are great places all over the country, all our Dis friends here live in them!

Approved for Platicorn!!! Best part is I hit the button after approval to get the card number and got an error message that said systems were not responding right now and will award a $60 statement credit.....so already got that Annual Fee down!
Sell the wood block card holder/phone stand on eBay for $15, and that'll offset the AF a little more. :rotfl2:

Woohoo!! party:

Or you can sell the whole package - box, paperwork, wood block for like $35. LOL.

If your plan for the airline credit is to buy gift cards instead of using it for incidentals like it was meant for, I'd do it sooner rather than later. Tagging @PolyRob too. :) Southwest still works, I did the whole $200 at once. I think Delta still works, but maybe only $50 at once and only on desktop? I haven't kept up with that. Flyertalk has a dedicated thread, so I'd check that right before you buy. Although even that is no guarantee. I bought an AA gift card right before it stopped crediting, before it had a chance to be reported. Lucky me, lol. It's a loophole, so nothing to do but suck it up.

Here's the Southwest one:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...rsement-reports-wn-fl-southwest-only-120.html
You'll need to pick an airline first and some people say to wait a day to make sure it's in the system. You're only supposed to change it once a year. But so far, it's been easy to change via chat if you need to.

Oh, ok I was looking at this fall (only because we plan to go in the fall, although not until next year) and when I changed it to the end of next April into May, I see both more flight options AND two of those are ANA flights. Very good. Thank you!!!

So then according to the article once I locate such a fare "operated by All Nippon Airways" then I would call Virgin and ask for those ANA flight numbers/date/time.... at least that is what I understood the article to say.

Thank goodness I have a little over a year!
I just want to add that you not get your heart set on dates when you see them available through United. We used their award chart for booking but when I called Virgin they were like “yeah we don’t have seats that day”. I’m not sure if their availability is different for some reason but just make sure you can be flexible on dates

Isn't it a "no no" to return merchandise purchased to meet a spend?

I likely hit the spend w/o it. I'm just saying thanks to the $2k in swimsuits I'm WELLLLL over the spend now, LOL. I'll be keeping enough of them that I should be able the spend I needed as well.

@disfanforlife - I thought about the self-support news and applying it to your situation, but a support link from the SW Biz to the SW Premier will only get you the standard 40k RR points SUB on the Premier + 10k RR support bonus, vs. the elevated 60k RR public offer that’s good until 6/9/19.

But, if you're willing to take the risk of a support bonus not posting, doing a SW Biz + SW personal support 40k offer + 10 RR support bonus would get you CP with 1k less spend.

Option for the gamblers.

Wow, glad I got mine yesterday!
The author talks about Barclay's wanting to do a new, more aggressive card but considering how epically they botched that last time idk. Also speculation on reddit that maybe it's a temporary pull. Conclusion is it better be pulled or the author's reputation will go up in smoke.

Does anyone know if you got the bonus on this card in 10/2017 and closed in 7/2018 can you get it again? I have fam members looking right now for a new card and this would be perfect but those are their stats on it. They're 1/24 and 2/24 right now so they're good to go on that part...

Isn't it a "no no" to return merchandise purchased to meet a spend?

You can return stuff as long as you buy more to offset what was returned. They can and may claw the bonus back if you don't actually meet the spend.

I likely hit the spend w/o it. I'm just saying thanks to the $2k in swimsuits I'm WELLLLL over the spend now, LOL. I'll be keeping enough of them that I should be able the spend I needed as well.

I would just male sure you did meet it. I had the same concern as @happ because they can take them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter