• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Like Forbidden Journey, but This Is Ridiculous (March 2016) Updated 6/26 (Last Day)

hrh is really a fun hotel!
so close to the studios and no need to use the water taxi.

i enjoyed all my stays at hrh

looking forward to reading about your stay there.

We really liked it too. DH is spoiled now and doesn't want to stay anywhere else.

Interested in hearing your opinion on butterbeer fudge........not for me as I don't eat fudge, but I know my DH will want to try it.........he likes fudge!

Don't think we've had a review of it yet.........

I won't totally spoil it, but it is sweet.

We had a fabulous stay at HRH in March! Thank you for doing this trip report!!

Thanks for following.

I won't totally spoil it, but it is sweet.

Lol......yes I imagine it will be very sweet.........I don't have a sweet tooth, but my DH certainly does! Oh you have to spoil it.........yours will be first review of it on the dis I've seen..........:)

Lol......yes I imagine it will be very sweet.........I don't have a sweet tooth, but my DH certainly does! Oh you have to spoil it.........yours will be first review of it on the dis I've seen..........:)

Oh, I will eventually spoil it. I just want to wait until I get to that part of the report:)

THEN TYPE FASTER....haha. I can't wait either! I have a huge sweet tooth, but I'm not big into chocolate...so fudge has always been OK, but not my first choice.

Interested in hearing your opinion on butterbeer fudge........not for me as I don't eat fudge, but I know my DH will want to try it.........he likes fudge!

Don't think we've had a review of it yet.........
Suuuuuuper sweet, the good news is that the little block they give you will last a while. :) It tasted great, but again real sweet

We're also big Universal fans so can't wait to hear all your adventures here, too.

We're also big Universal fans so can't wait to hear all your adventures here, too.

Thanks for joining. I was hoping to do some updates soon. However, work got urgently busy, and I have to go in Saturday morning:( Also, the Moto GP motorcycle races are in town this weekend, and we bought tickets ages ago. Plus, DS school is doing their Spring carnival, and I volunteered from 3-7pm:sad2: So, updates may not be happening this week.

Yep, we'll still be here......nice to read a new, different trip report.........

Enjoy the Moto GP...........love it!!

Just added a 3-night stay at the Hard Rock to our WDW vacation in November...so we're now doing a split stay :hyper: Very excited to hear all about your experience!

Last edited:
Day 1 AM - Universal Studios - I Hate Disney

I woke up early for early entry at 8am for Universal Studios. Our last trip, Islands of Adventure had the early entry. As 6am EST was approaching, I got out my laptop and tried to connect to the wifi. We have a trip in July with some DIS friends. I said that I would look for Rivers of Light dining and preview packages (they were going in April when it was supposed to opening), since I would be up early anyway on the weekend. Well, no luck. It wouldn't connect:worried: My phone was just fine. So, frantically, I am whisper yelling at DH to get his laptop, because I didn't want to wake up DS. Finally got his connected, but nothing, nada, zilch for Rivers of Light:( This would be the theme every morning, except for the no wifi connection, finally got that working. As most of you know, it's been delayed. I want part of my life back. I hate Disney:mad:

We weren't exactly sure how to get to Universal Studios from Hardrock. We went out the front and ended up walking through the parking lot, which was pretty quick. I don't think that's the official way though. We were the first people there. I guess we were a little overzealous:oops: It was still dark too. I finished eating my breakfast, and we waited.The Universal lines always seem so friendly and congenial compared to the Disney lines. People are talking and asking advice. It's sort of a fun atmosphere:hyper2:

We made it in a little before actual park opening and headed to Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. Touring Plans suggested we do it first. We had Express Pass, but even that line can get long. The doors weren't even open yet. This is such a fun ride. We haven't been the spotlight family yet, but this might be a good thing;) I like the disco at the end, but we never did see any minions this trip for a photo-op:dancer:

Next, we headed to Gringott's. The line was huge. It was all the way back to the entrance of Diagon Alley. They hadn't started the ride yet, and people were not lining up inside the huge queues yet. DH saved a spot, while DS and I relented to the call of nature. Then, we stayed in line while DH put stuff in the lockers. I can't emphasize this enough. One person, or the minimum number of people, should take all of the stuff and get the locker(s). The locker rooms are really small, and it saves a lot of time in line. Once the ride started, the line moved quick. This is a fun ride, but I still like Forbidden Journey better. You must go through the full queue at least once though. It's really cool, not as detailed as FB though.

DSC_2439_026.JPG

We were off to a decent start. I saw the ice cream store, and there was no line:scratchin However, it wasn't even 9am yet. I felt, even though it was vacation, this might be too early for ice cream. I regret that now, because we never ended up getting any ice cream in Diagon Alley:( Ollivander's was next. DS got an interactive wand last trip, but I had decided that I must have one too. Plus, we only did the one in Hogsmeade last trip. There was a bit of a line but not bad. The inside is much larger than at Hogsmeade. I like this one better. None of us were chosen, but DS was waving his wand around. I got some good shots with our new camera. These were taken without a flash or a tripod, and it was a fast exposure for the amount of light. I love this camera:)

DSC_2451_027.JPG

DSC_2454_028.JPG

I had an important choice ahead of me: which interactive wand should I get? I wanted something that I liked visually, and if it was a person's, I needed to feel sympatico with that person. DS has Ron Weasley’s, which is pretty fitting. I also wanted a good guy. I saw one that I liked, and it turned out to be Professor McGonagall. I like her character, so my wand was chosen, or did it choose me:) We had a little bit of time, so we played with the wands and looked in some shops.

McGonagall is on the bottom and Ron Weasley is on top
DSC_4675_031.JPG

DS concentrating on using magic
DSC_2461_029.JPG

Early entry was over, so we headed to MIB. Every time I ride this now, I think of @OhioStateBuckeye losing her sunglasses. It’s a great reminder to put it all away in a locker or hold on tightly. I beat DH and DS. I can't remember my score now. I wish I had a camera to take a picture. It was still awesome though. DS bought a stuffed Frank in a tuxedo. It was pretty cute:dogdance:

We then headed to Simpsons, which had a bit of a wait even in the Express Pass line, and to Transformers. We thankfully got to miss ET. I think that's an every other trip attraction. We also did Mummy. I was pretty nervous, because this was my first time to do it. It was actually pretty cool and not bad at all. I would definitely do it again. I had to be sure to get my pressed penny. DS and I collect pressed pennies from the rides we have done or the things we like in the parks, but we don't collect all of them just for the sake of collecting. I was almost more excited to be able to get the penny.

Lunch was at Fast Food Boulevard. I got a really good salad with herbed, flaked tuna (like from a can but with some flavor). It was from the grab-n-go section called Lisa's Teahouse of Horrors. We also got a Flaming Mo, which needs alcohol. It's basically an orange soda with dry ice in the bottom, so that it's bubbles while you drink it. It's pretty fun. DS got chicken nuggets, and DH got a chicken sandwich. Nothing spectacular, but definitely decent. Sorry there are no pictures. I am terrible about taking pictures of food. In general, I haven't been as good about taking pictures this trip, because we just got a new camera. I am still getting used to the idea of having one that I like. We then headed to King's Cross Station to go to Hogsmeade. I think we shared a Tunnock's caramel bar. I love those, especially on Hogwart's Express.

The last one is for me:)
DSC_4682_032.JPG

Stay tuned for the rest of the day, including Hogsmeade, Margaritaville, and the Mardi Gras parade:joker:

Last edited:
Tunnocks caramel wafer is a "biscuit" of my childhood in Scotland.........we call those biscuits too........they do good biscuits!!! Famous for the tea cake biscuit too..........not really a tea cake at all.........

Haven't eaten one for years as I have crowns.........lol.......

Nice updates..........that is a look of concentration your DS face...........adorable!

Will be checking out your updates........

Love the Ollivanders picture! And I am slightly jealous of you...I have no idea how to take a picture w/o flash in low light, so I never take pictures in Ollivanders.

It's a shame you missed Florean's ice cream parlor...next time, yes?

Where did you buy the Tunnock's biscuit? I've not seen those in the parks.

Can't wait for the next bit :)

All your pictures are fabulous!

Especially the one of your son concentrating with his wand
Precious!!

Florean's ice cream is really good. Sorry you missed it, but think of it as something to look forward to for your next trip. :-) We tried the Butterbeer ice cream the last time we were there -- I love the regular butterbeer & the frozen butterbeer, but I didn't love the ice cream version as much. It was really good cream flavor, don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't as awesome as it is in the regular or frozen varieties. So, we had to return later in the day and try other flavors. LOL!

Your son looks like he was very focused with his wand in that photo. So cute! And I completely agree with you on the lockers --They can be a total madhouse! Both my kids are teens, so my DD1 is our designated locker person.

One person, or the minimum number of people, should take all of the stuff and get the locker(s).
Excellent tip! Will definitely remember this.

You must go through the full queue at least once though. It's really cool, not as detailed as FB though.
I know there's a chance I won't be able to do these rides because of my severe motion sickness, but I'm still looking forward to the queues. I hear from so many that they're amazing.

DS concentrating on using magic
dsc_2461_029-jpg.163065
Oh, he means serious wizard business :wizard:. Very cute!

Last edited:
Tunnocks caramel wafer is a "biscuit" of my childhood in Scotland.........we call those biscuits too........they do good biscuits!!! Famous for the tea cake biscuit too..........not really a tea cake at all.........

Haven't eaten one for years as I have crowns.........lol.......

Nice updates..........that is a look of concentration your DS face...........adorable!

Will be checking out your updates........

I was first introduced to them by a Scottish co-worker. He would bring them after visiting home. After he left the company, I thought I would never have one again until I visited Universal:) I have crowns but didn't have any issues.

Love the Ollivanders picture! And I am slightly jealous of you...I have no idea how to take a picture w/o flash in low light, so I never take pictures in Ollivanders.

It's a shame you missed Florean's ice cream parlor...next time, yes?

Where did you buy the Tunnock's biscuit? I've not seen those in the parks.

Can't wait for the next bit :)

A good camera helps, but mainly it's the lens. I used a prime lens, which means that it has a single focal length, no zoom. This allows them to make the lens very fast. These were taken with our 24 prime lens. I still think I could have done a little better. I am still working on the focus. Where you focus with such a lens makes a big difference.

We have had Florean's on our first Universal trip, so unfortunately, I know what I missed:( We are going back in July, and I have already told DH that we are eating ice cream no matter what:)

The Tunnock's bars are usually available at the carts, like the one near the stage with the elixirs. You can also get them at the little stand in King's Cross.

All your pictures are fabulous!

Especially the one of your son concentrating with his wand
Precious!!

Thanks. Sometimes he can take things too seriously. I have no idea where he gets that:rolleyes1

Florean's ice cream is really good. Sorry you missed it, but think of it as something to look forward to for your next trip. :-) We tried the Butterbeer ice cream the last time we were there -- I love the regular butterbeer & the frozen butterbeer, but I didn't love the ice cream version as much. It was really good cream flavor, don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't as awesome as it is in the regular or frozen varieties. So, we had to return later in the day and try other flavors. LOL!

Your son looks like he was very focused with his wand in that photo. So cute! And I completely agree with you on the lockers --They can be a total madhouse! Both my kids are teens, so my DD1 is our designated locker person.

Oh, I am already planning what we are getting in our July trip. Our previous trip to Universal, we did have the butterbeer soft-serve and some other flavors of the hard pack. They were so good. I do like the frozen one better than the soft-serve too.

We went into the lockers once with DH, and I vowed never again. I don't know what Universal was thinking. I can see Forbidden Journey being bad, since it's the first one. However, they didn't seem to learn too much from it when they did Gringott's.

Excellent tip! Will definitely remember this.

I know there's a chance I won't be able to do these rides because of my sever motion sickness, but I'm still looking forward to the queues. I hear from so many that they're amazing.

Oh, he means serious wizard business :wizard:. Very cute!

Sometimes Forbidden Journey has a castle tour route. Just ask at the front. It's a separate line, and you can spend time really looking at everything. I want to do this so that I can get some pics. I never have a camera on me when we ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter