I Like Forbidden Journey, but This Is Ridiculous (March 2016) Updated 6/26 (Last Day)

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
Introduction:

This is the Universal portion of my trip report. The trip included WDW and occurred March 11-20, 2016. We were at Universal from March 11-14. The main trip report is here.

Goal:
Universal - 2.5 days staying at Hard Rock Hotel
WDW - 6.5 days staying at Caribbean Beach Resort
Our main goal at WDW was to see as much Star Wars as we could. We had originally planned to go to Star Wars Weekends in June, until that was cancelled. Here's our Pre-trip Report.

Cast:
Me, DH, and DS now 10. This was our 2nd trip to Universal. We are not Harry Potter fantics but do own the movies. DS has read all of the books several times, and I am on the 4th book. Here is a picture of DS and DH waiting outside Ollivander's at USO. I am usually the picture taker, so I am rarely in the pics:)

DSC_2442_025.JPG

Trip Firsts:
  • Staying at Hard Rock Hotel
  • Mardi Gras parade
  • Hot butterbeer
  • Dragon Challenge (for some of us anyway:rolleyes1)
  • Butterbeer fudge
  • Leaky Cauldron
  • Cowfish

Last edited:
I Feel Good:

After surviving Obamageddon, we arrived at MCO on-time and unscathed. We took the faux monorail (stole that from @chunkymonkey) to get our luggage. We found a rental car in our spot but with someone else's name. DH decided it would be fine, and we tried to leave. Well, Hertz had other plans:( So, we put the car back, DH went into the office, and we headed for another car. This time they let us go:jumping3: We stopped at Whole Foods to get milk for DS cereal, my breakfast (hard boiled eggs), and some snacks. Next stop Hard Rock Hotel:rockband:

The hotel is really pretty at night, and I knew it was going to be a good stay. After paying exorbitant valet parking fees at Royal Pacific last year, DH decided to drop us off near the front and do self parking. DS10 and I took the bags (well, mostly me:rolleyes: ) to the front desk. Checkin was super easy. We waited in the lobby for DH, got our Express Passes, and headed to the room. Man the hallways at HRH are really long, but we got the James Brown hall:woohoo:

I got a good annual passholder rate for a waterview room. It did not disappoint. I would show a picture, but the window was just too dirty to get a decent pic. It overlooked the beautifully lit pool, and we could see the parks in the distance. Time for bed, since we were hitting the Studios at rope drop, and they had early entry too.

Last edited:

We are staying at the hard rock in 19 days! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

We liked it so much. Royal Pacific was nice, but HRH is really nice. Plus, it's closer to the parks, and the pool is awesome.

I'm here! Can't wait to see how the rest of the trip went. BTW, LOVE the "ugly" Star Wars Christmas sweaters!

Well I've never been to universal but I'm following along in this one too!

I think you would enjoy it. Even if you aren't into Harry Potter, the detail in those areas is amazing. Plus, they just have a lot of cool rides. It's a much more relaxed vacation, because there's not as much advanced planning required.

I think you would enjoy it. Even if you aren't into Harry Potter, the detail in those areas is amazing. Plus, they just have a lot of cool rides. It's a much more relaxed vacation, because there's not as much advanced planning required.
I'd like to go at least once. My family isn't so much into it though. Maybe after college.

I love the Hard Rock. We've stayed there twice, once lucky enough to stay at club level since we had three different groups splitting the cost.

I liked all the little touches in the hotel room, the musical ones like the artist's height.

I love the Hard Rock. We've stayed there twice, once lucky enough to stay at club level since we had three different groups splitting the cost.

I liked all the little touches in the hotel room, the musical ones like the artist's height.

I wish I had taken a picture of James Brown on our hall. It made me smile every time we left or returned to the room. That's where DH wants to say in July, but it's only for a night.

Yay for HRH! :thumbsup2 We were at the HRH 3/13-3/17- our 3rd stay there. We fell in love the first time. Isn't the walk to the parks the best? Takes just a few minutes and makes it easy to go back to the room for a rest and return to the parks at night. We stayed club level and found that we more than got our money's worth each day. Even with two adult sons, we didn't spend much on food each day after eating in the lounge. Universal AP's are much more cost effective than WDW- but we also spent part of our vacation at Disney- can't stay away but this time we really did miss Universal when at Disney!

Yay for HRH! :thumbsup2 We were at the HRH 3/13-3/17- our 3rd stay there. We fell in love the first time. Isn't the walk to the parks the best? Takes just a few minutes and makes it easy to go back to the room for a rest and return to the parks at night. We stayed club level and found that we more than got our money's worth each day. Even with two adult sons, we didn't spend much on food each day after eating in the lounge. Universal AP's are much more cost effective than WDW- but we also spent part of our vacation at Disney- can't stay away but this time we really did miss Universal when at Disney!

We overlapped on the 3/13:wave: We left Monday to head to WDW. I haven't looked into club level at Universal yet. I have thought about it for WDW, but they never open up early enough. We almost always hit RD and early entry/AM EMH. We tend to eat breakfast in the room or while waiting to get into the park. Plus, club level at WDW is so much more expensive. I might look into it for Universal on our next trip. I really like both Universal and WDW. They each have their own differences though.

We stayed club at Disney and were disappointed in the choices of food, etc. We gave HRH a try and were stunned at how wonderful it is there! Food(breakfast, afternoon snacks, appetizers, dessert and drinks (non-alcoholic and beer/wine) are plentiful! And you're right, the increase in cost of club at Universal is more affordable than Disney!

hrh is really a fun hotel!
so close to the studios and no need to use the water taxi.

i enjoyed all my stays at hrh

looking forward to reading about your stay there.

Interested in hearing your opinion on butterbeer fudge........not for me as I don't eat fudge, but I know my DH will want to try it.........he likes fudge!

Don't think we've had a review of it yet.........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter