• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"I Heard They Shaved A Gorilla" - Reviews & Pix - COMPLETED Post # 155

Thanks for the great reviews! As far as the whole chair saving thing, I'm right with you. :thumbsup2

We really did have a great time on our trip but sometimes you just want to ask people want are they thinking. :confused3. We went to Epcot and decide to eat in Germany. It was pouring and myself, DH and three kids in tow (1 was 18 months at the time) got our food. We went to sit down and eat but all the tables were full. I don't expect anyone to just offer us thier sit because we have kids but a couple sat down while we were ordering and were not buying anything! She decides to carry on a LOUD conversation on her cell phone and ignore everyone else waiting for a table. I was livid but I couldn't do anything so we took our kids and sat under a umbrella out in the rain. (thankfully it cleared up pretty quickly).

Now to be fair we did meet some great people and believe it or not usually on the bus. Almost every time we got on a bus there was some gentleman who would leave his seat so a child or woman with a child could sit down. (My DH was one but there were lots of others) That made me feel good.:hug:

I guess DIsney and bring out the best and worst in some people.

Enjoyed your reviews and really considering trying a few of the restaurants you pointed out. Thanks

We really did have a great time on our trip but sometimes you just want to ask people want are they thinking. :confused3. We went to Epcot and decide to eat in Germany. It was pouring and myself, DH and three kids in tow (1 was 18 months at the time) got our food. We went to sit down and eat but all the tables were full. I don't expect anyone to just offer us thier sit because we have kids but a couple sat down while we were ordering and were not buying anything! She decides to carry on a LOUD conversation on her cell phone and ignore everyone else waiting for a table. I was livid but I couldn't do anything so we took our kids and sat under a umbrella out in the rain. (thankfully it cleared up pretty quickly).

I don't blame you one bit. The last two times we went to Disney DS was a teen and he was taught early on by DH to offer up his seat no matter where we were to ladies, elderly folks and families with children. That is just the was it is SUPPOSED to be!

I guess this means we don't overlap in October? :confused3

How about October 2009? I think we're looking at 10/16-10/24 and then we're taking a Disney cruise 10/24 - 10/31 ... ever considered cruising with the mouse? :goodvibes

Alas, I believe we are one week off kilter. In 2007, we were there Halloween week, so to maximize our travel dollar, we will be going before that week in 2008 (gotta love doing the A.P. Tango). Thus endith the a.p. for this 'year'.

Our 2009 plan, however, is a clean slate at the moment, as super double secret advanced planning hasn't even hit the radar screen. So, that may be possible........

p.s. Update on world domination - Rand corporation debriefings (and accompanying microfiche) are being prepped, as time permits, and receipts are found. Without those receipts, some of the details are a little fuzzy.....:drinking1

Robert-- great reviews! I, myself, am also a lover of all things cheese! You really should try the cheese plate at the Rose & Crown. They have a stilton pastry, which is a really good introduction to the cheese and not too overwhelming. Also, if you're not too fond of the R&C menu, you can order the cheese plate in the pub and toss back a pint or a martini. Cheers!:thumbsup2

Alas, I believe we are one week off kilter. In 2007, we were there Halloween week, so to maximize our travel dollar, we will be going before that week in 2008 (gotta love doing the A.P. Tango). Thus endith the a.p. for this 'year'.

Our 2009 plan, however, is a clean slate at the moment, as super double secret advanced planning hasn't even hit the radar screen. So, that may be possible........

Well, I hope it works out. We could all have some good times sharing cheese and alcohol!

p.s. Update on world domination - Rand corporation debriefings (and accompanying microfiche) are being prepped, as time permits, and receipts are found. Without those receipts, some of the details are a little fuzzy.....:drinking1

Excellent ... :woohoo:

Dude! I totally pimped your food review ... and it's all thanks to Hank's attempt to take over the world showcase! :rotfl2:

Dude! I totally pimped your food review ... and it's all thanks to Hank's attempt to take over the world showcase! :rotfl2:

Brenda,
Glad you liked the review. Feel free to use it as you see fit.

Now that Hank has mastered the basics of World (Showcase) Domination, new challlenges must be considered. Aside from the obvious quest for a Flaming Moe, do you have any ideas (or small countries you would like me to take over)? :confused3

Now that Hank has mastered the basics of World (Showcase) Domination, new challlenges must be considered. Aside from the obvious quest for a Flaming Moe, do you have any ideas (or small countries you would like me to take over)? :confused3

Hmmmmm, that's a tough one. :confused:

You could always consider a downtown disney challenge ... that would provide some interesting beverage options to choose from. And I think it can still be done without having to worry about frequenting any of the bars or nightclubs (although we think the Adventurers Club is a hoot and I loves me a Kungaloosh!).

I've always thought an Animal Kingdom drink-a-thon could be fun, as long as you can get the weather to cooperate and manage to stay properly hydrated.

REVIEW: Flying Fish (Part I of II)

SUMMARY: Still a great meal, but where are the plastic lobsters?

This also was a mid-week dinner ADR for a party of 5 (3 adults, 2 children) at the very early dinner time of 5:45 p.m. The whole day felt a bit rushed, between an early a.m. arrival at WDW, getting checked into our room and beginning to unpack, and now an early dinner. As often happens, there was a method to my ADR madness – the ever present possibility of an adults night out, which means that the girls had to stay ‘on schedule’ somewhat, so no late night excursions for them on this short trip. Turns out that we finally obtained enough information to set our schedule late last week, and we eventually stayed in after dinner this night. I had called WDW dining a few days before, and there were no later ADR’s available at FF for this night. Nothing until after 8:00 p.m. They were all booked up.

We arrived at 5:40 p.m., and checked in at the podium. The place was empty, but we were told to wait for just a minute. Maybe stood there for 1 or 2 minutes, then we were shown to our table, which was all the way in the back. Guess they wanted us out of the way or something. By our best guess, we were the 6th table seated that early. My bewilderment from previous reviews is sustained, where I find it strange that even with an ADR, and a relatively empty restaurant, we usually wait to be seated. But as always, it’s no biggie. We were seated against the back wall of the restaurant, 5 of us at a table for 6, which I appreciated after our ‘too tiny table’ at Il Mulino a few nights before.

Our server was Martha, and we had good service for the entire evening. I don’t recall if she went over the specials of the day, but I had pretty much made up my mind beforehand, which is probably why I can’t recall any specials. Also contributing to that memory lapse would be my 2 (or was it 3) pre ‘leaving the room’ drinks I had before we arrived.

I ordered my pre-dinner drink here, one dirty martini, and others in our group followed suit with their own selection, then we went ahead and put in an order for the cheese plate and the calamari. The cheese plate was a requirement for me, because I had thus far this trip failed to find a cheese plate worthy of wearing the Globex Corporation stamp of approval. After the pitiful cheese plate at Bistro de Paris, I was overdue. I had heard great things about this calamari, but on 2 of our last 3 visits here, they were out. And I don’t know what has possessed me to suddenly try all of this cheese, but the trend started in 2007, and I haven’t shook the habit yet for 2008 (maybe they make a patch for those of us trying to quit??). Martha was good enough to let me keep the cheese menu at the table, so I could use it to reference the plate when it came out. Good show Martha! Just as I remembered it from our last visit here, the cheese plate was absolutely wonderful, and gets its own section below (note: portions of our show, not affecting the outcome, have been omitted for the sake of time and possibly to avoid too much utter (or should I say udder) boredom for the audience):

FFcheese1.jpg

FFcheese2.jpg

Degustation of Flying Fish Artisanal Cheeses
Five Tasting Portions and Accompaniments:
Honey Comb, Raisins on the Vine, Spanish Membrillo $15.00

Ms. Appleby’s Cheshire – Cheshire’s flavor is unique because of the salt deposits where the cows graze and its loose crumbly texture comes from the curds being broken by hand. Aged 6 to 20 months this cheese has a sweet caramel-butter smell with notes of straw and bright acidity.
My take: The Appleby’s of Shrewsbury make a good cheese with good flavor, but the texture was too dry for my liking. It was almost like eating a great tasting candle wax.

St. Marcellin – this soft-ripened disk of sweet pasteurized cow’s milk has a rind-less crust and an unparalleled silky texture. Each disk is so creamy that it will not stand on its own so it is packed in its own terra cotta mold. Aged about one month, the flavor is comparable to a Brie de Meaux: mushroomy, truffly, and earthy with a delicate residual tang.
My take: Excellent soft cheese, very smooth, with a nice taste. I’d call it a brie, but I liked the taste of this much better. It was all I could do to obey the words of my tiny chef, and “Don’t just hork it down”.

Pecorino Toscana en Foglie Noce – a pressed sheep’s milk cheese from Tuscany. While aging, the wheels are wrapped in walnut leaves and rubbed daily with olive oil, imparting a tremendously satisfying flavor and a hint of black walnut.
My take: A bit dry textured also, but the flavor was okay. As I was reading the description, I kept waiting for that hint of black walnut. All I got was a hint of regular walnut. I felt like I was missing out on something special.

Queso de Murcia Al Vino – smooth goat’s milk cheese from Spain. This cheese is washed with the local red wine, thus giving it a red rind.
My take: A great cheese, despite that pesky distracting red rind. A nice creamy taste, and smooth texture. It tasted best with the Spanish Membrillo, whatever the heck that was.

Fourme d’ Ambert - one of France’s oldest cheeses. Flavor is savory and nutty and is more supple and dense than most blues. The pate is creamy with a lasting taste of wine.
My take: I am still scared of blue cheeses in general, because they look like something from outer space. I was reared in the Southern cuisine world where blue = mold, and mold = bad, unless it’s being used to make penicillin. This one, like the others I have tried recently, was excellent, especially when eaten with the raw honeycomb. Strong on the initial bite, it mellowed out nicely afterward. I couldn’t find the ‘lasting taste of wine’, or maybe I was looking for the wrong kind of wine. Who knows? But a very nice blue cheese, none the less. It was the best cheese on the plate.

This was a solid cheese plate, with nice variety, and easily the best plate on this trip. I like that the cheese plate changes here frequently, and I will definitely order it again on future visits.

The calamari was everything it has been hyped up to be. Best calamari of the trip, even better than the one we tried at Il Mulino a few night before. Lightly breaded, with mostly rings and just a few tentacles. The fragrant vegetables were a nice compliment to the calamari, but what made the dish for us was the Asian dipping sauce. Aside from the ginger, I didn’t distinguish many individual ingredients in it, but the sauce was beyond delicious, I’d even say addictive, and made the entire dish work. Every bit as amazing as I had heard, and will be ordered during our next visit.

FFcalamari1.jpg

I like the following picture best though....

FFcalamari2.jpg

Next: Part II

Great reviews. I think we're kindred spirits in some respects!
I dream about the snapper and the calamari at Flying Fish, they were fantastic. I've only found one calamari plate that beats it thus far.... remarkably enough, it was in Buffalo, at Hutch's (which, to be fair, is a really great restaurant).
Curiously enough, when we were there, we stood around waiting for a table with damp people crowding nearby or bumping into us trying to avoid the rain. Then as a group of 5 we were seated at a table of four, right next to the water station. :furious:
In all, I devoted a healthy chunk of my trip report to this restaurant, which despite all the issues with the space and the service is now firmly on my must-go list for all future trips, when, much like you, I imagine I will be boring and order plates of calamari and snapper. :goodvibes
Oh, and membrillo is actually quince paste, something like a marmalade of its fruit.

Oh, and membrillo is actually quince paste, something like a marmalade of its fruit.

Thank you! I was wondering what that was. It wasn't bad, but of course, not as sweet as the honeycomb.

And yes, I am becoming pretty boring with my selections, but it's just too hard to get away from their snapper. I finally tried the calamari last trip, and that will be added to the must-do list as well. If you count my 'affection' for their excellent dirty martinis, I might be one of the most boring patrons in the world.

And I still have to save room for that cheese plate!

Thank you! I was wondering what that was. It wasn't bad, but of course, not as sweet as the honeycomb.

And yes, I am becoming pretty boring with my selections, but it's just too hard to get away from their snapper. I finally tried the calamari last trip, and that will be added to the must-do list as well. If you count my 'affection' for their excellent dirty martinis, I might be one of the most boring patrons in the world.

And I still have to save room for that cheese plate!

No problem! Foodies stick together, and are always advancing each other's snobbery....:rotfl2:
As for boring selections, there's no shame in repeating something you've come to love..... I figure I'm adventurous enough at other times. With Flying Fish, I plan to use my girlfriend to sample other items. Last year it was the scallops (enormous and very tasty).... this year, who knows! It's a dirty trick, but we have to figure out some way to farm out our multiple desires.....::yes::
We do differ on this, though-- I prefer my martinis dry. Very dry. Preferably 3 or 4 to one dry. Just enough vermouth to bring out the flavors of the vodka. :goodvibes

We do differ on this, though-- I prefer my martinis dry. Very dry. Preferably 3 or 4 to one dry. Just enough vermouth to bring out the flavors of the vodka. :goodvibes

As Borat would say "Not so much". Any regular martini, not dessert or dirty, I have to agree with you. But I really like green olives, and that dirty martini just 'calls to me'.:thumbsup2

Loved your Boozin' Around World Showcase review in Bendy's blog. Excellent. (Said in my creepiest Monty Burns voice).

I commented on her blog. :)

Lori,
Thank you for the kind words. It was a challenging day, to say the least, but a rewarding experience I won't soon forget. Unfortunately, I only generate a handful of interesting reports like that a year. Brenda seems to crank them out all the time. I endeavor to write that well, when I grow up. Glad you enjoyed reading the report.
Rob

What a fantastic report Robert!! I was fully entertained and found myself laughing aloud many many times. :rotfl2:

Your report was sent to me as a link by Brenda after I read your guest appearance in her blog. That was absolutely hilarious and I was caught howling at parts at my desk at work last week. Loved, loved, loved your reference to sitting on a whobbly bench or a small child after being overserved at EPCOT. HILARIOUS!!!: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks for the laughs ! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

BTW, what kind of camera do you use? Those pictures are brilliant!!::yes::

Glad you enjoyed the report. I owe Brenda big time for letting me guest on their blog.

Thank you for the picture compliment. The camera belongs to my wife, but I am allowed to use it on rare occassions, like when I take food & drink pictures, and she ducks away in embarrassment.:scared1:

Looking at it now, I believe it is a Panasonic Lumix. I says DMC-TZ1 on it, and it has a 10X optical zoom. It helps that we tend to eat earlier in the evening (6-ish), and I can make use of the sunlight and some shadows, rather than relying on a bright flash (like would be needed if we ate later, probably any time after 8:00 p.m. for sure) It takes about as good of pictures as I could hope for, short of buying a fancy new SLR digital.

Really, REALLY good report, Robert. I ditto what everybody else says. It took me nearly half an hour to get through this thread! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Robert - great review here and LOVED the guest one on Brenda's page!
My husband and I can't wait to do that in a couple months!:thumbsup2

Jen2008,
Thank you for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the report.

kabuki,
Thank you for the kind words also. Brenda and Jay were nice enough to let me guest report over there. I felt that the 'World Tour' was a special enough event, and wouldn't disappoint any of her loyal blog readers (at least not too badly). I'll probably still keep doing my dining reports in my own postings, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be the first guest over there, and it seemed like a very unique event to report on, so it all worked out well.
If you are seriously thinking of trying the 'Tour' yourself, I suggest two things:

1 - Chaser (the hangover pills) - I was skeptical when they first came out, but so far, they have not let me down. Use as directed.

2 - Water - lots and lots of water. I stopped for water (fountains or our bottles), on average about every 2 countries. It is hot in FL anyway, and the water used by the body to process alot of alcohol really dries out your system. Don't pass up any drinking fountains you may come across.

Otherwise, good luck in advance on your adventure. Please let us know how it works out.

Just made it over to read your guest spot on the blog - AWESOME job!!!!! You are MY HERO!!:worship: ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter