• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I haven't been this excited about my birthday since I turned 21! COMPLETE

Hi Barb :goodvibes So glad I was bale to spend some time and of course some good meals with you. You rock. Can't wait to read your reviews:thumbsup2
For those of you who do not know Barb... she is awesome :thumbsup2

Now with taking solo trips, I'm able to try other resorts like the Wilderness Lodge. However, I like it so much now and my old favorite, the Boardwalk, that it will be hard to venture away from those two. :laughing:

Thanks Jeanette! After staying at this resort three times in a little more than a year's time, I too must say that I love the Wilderness Lodge. The Polynesian used to be my favorite MK resort, but the Wilderness has stolen my heart! :love:

Hi Wood Nymph! Thanks for lurking and now posting! :thumbsup2 When will you be there in October? My dates are not set in stone yet, as I haven't purchased my airfare, but I'm looking at around 10/23 - 11/4 and will probably do a split stay between the the Wilderness and the Boardwalk.

We'll be at the WL from Oct 22nd to Oct 27th. Our two favorite resorts are BC and WL, and like you, we find it hard to stay anywhere but our two favorites. We are reluctant to do a split stay, though. We like to settle into one resort for the whole time. :goodvibes

What a great first meal. Even with the egg thing not being great it still looked like a lot of fun. I'm going to have to find a way to fit in Ragland Road for our trip. My DH likes bread pudding and the kids would enjoy the dancers.

Joining in- Happy Belated Birthday!

Love WL- stayed there in October for the first time and it's now one of my favorites! Raglan Road is on my to-do list! Sorry you didn't enjoy the egg en cocotte but man, that bread pudding looks amazing!! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

We went to Raglan Road on our last trip and we are going back again this July. We have found a new favorite DTD place to eat. We love it there. As an added bonus my parents (who live in Kissimmee) will be joining us for our lunch there! Can't wait!

Ooh you've started - exciting
Ah, love the pictures of the lodge, we shall miss it in June

Linda, I have you to thank for bringing the Wilderness Lodge back onto my Disney resort radar. :)

Barb,

Thanks for sharing the pics of the Wilderness Lodge. I'm staying there for the first time in June and can't wait! I booked a Woods View room because I was concerned about the noise from WCC too. Glad it was no bother to you.

Bravo for trying something new at Raglan Road! Sorry it didnt turn out as you had hoped but at least you had great dessert and entertainment.

I bet you will love it, Rachel! :thumbsup2

happy birthday ! I am in for the ride ! I completely understand about the eggs en cocotte , i am a complete texture person too , and if the texture is off , i am out , lol !

Thank you and glad you're along for the ride! :wave2:

Hi Barb :goodvibes So glad I was bale to spend some time and of course some good meals with you. You rock. Can't wait to read your reviews:thumbsup2
For those of you who do not know Barb... she is awesome :thumbsup2

Hi Beth! Thank you for the kind words, you make me blush! :blush:

We'll be at the WL from Oct 22nd to Oct 27th. Our two favorite resorts are BC and WL, and like you, we find it hard to stay anywhere but our two favorites. We are reluctant to do a split stay, though. We like to settle into one resort for the whole time. :goodvibes

If our paths should happen to cross in October at the WL, please do say hi. :goodvibes

What a great first meal. Even with the egg thing not being great it still looked like a lot of fun. I'm going to have to find a way to fit in Ragland Road for our trip. My DH likes bread pudding and the kids would enjoy the dancers.

IMHO, the bread pudding alone is worth a visit to Raglan Road so I say "go for it"!!! :thumbsup2

Joining in- Happy Belated Birthday!

Love WL- stayed there in October for the first time and it's now one of my favorites! Raglan Road is on my to-do list! Sorry you didn't enjoy the egg en cocotte but man, that bread pudding looks amazing!! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Thanks for joining and for the birthday wishes! And yes, the bread pudding is pretty amazing stuff...I just wish I could have eaten more of it. :worried:

We went to Raglan Road on our last trip and we are going back again this July. We have found a new favorite DTD place to eat. We love it there. As an added bonus my parents (who live in Kissimmee) will be joining us for our lunch there! Can't wait!

You're probably already aware of this, but if you have your heart set on seeing the band and dancers then you need to go there for dinner rather than lunch. The only exception to this is on Sunday during their brunch hours. ;)

That egg dish does not look appealing in any way. I can't imagine little egg bits in cheese soup.

Hi Niki! :wave2:

Yes, though the flavor was great, it just seemed weird to me. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. :laughing:

We need to start planning again for October. Have you made any ADR's yet? ;)

I am really excited to be reading your latest reviews. However inquiring minds need to know if anyone at Flying Fish tried the new pork entree? We are eating there next Saturday for the first time and that is what we plan on ordering. We were hoping to get the old pork entree from your December reviews but it has since changed.

I've never been to raglan road, wow that bread pudding looks incredible. We will be back in disney world at WL in November

Barb I just discovered your thread. I am new to disboards and wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed reading it thus far. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more! Happy Belated Birthday!!!pixiedust:

For my much anticipated birthday dinner, I met up with Paula and Hunter at the Wilderness Lodge dock where we boarded a boat that took us to the Contemporary Resort...

Back in February, Paula sent me an email which included a list of the ADRs which she and Brenda had made for their April/May trip together...just in case I couldn't wait until October to take my next trip. ;) The first thing that I noticed was that Paula and Hunter were dining at my favorite Disney restaurant on my birthday. I of course took this as a sign that this trip was meant to be, and so I have Paula to thank for making it possible for me to have my birthday dinner at...

Our evening here began with a cocktail at the bar while we waited to be seated. Here is the slightly blurry cocktail menu that I was given...

From this I chose a...

Twisted Mai Tai with Mount Gay Rum, Creme de Noyaux, Orange Juice, and Pineapple Juice with a splash of Lime - $9.25

I had had this when I was here in December so I already knew that I would like it. It was again very good, sweet and fruity...just the way I like my cocktails. :thumbsup2

We were then seated at a table next to a window and had a lovely view of Cinderella's castle...

And then a closer look with the help of a zoom lens...

...and even closer. ;)

Or maybe you prefer Space Mountain?

We were also there to witness a beautiful sunset, which the photo does not do justice...

Now for some food. Here is the menu which we were presented with that evening...

We were then brought a basket of whole grain sourdough rolls and lavender focaccia...

I don't really care for either of their new breads, so I stayed clear of the bread basket. ;)

However, I was all over the next thing that arrived at our table, which was delivered by Hunter and Paula's friend...

...the amazing Chef Eddie!

And here is the delicious amuse bouche which he presented us...

This consisted of gnocchi, house-made bacon bits, and tiny long-stemmed Japanese mushrooms that Hunter identified as Enoki. It was my favorite thing that I had that night...I would have happily eaten a whole plateful of this and called it a night. :thumbsup2

However, the food just kept coming, starting with the House-made Charcuterie which Paula and Hunter ordered and graciously shared with me...

This really isn't my thing so I nibbled on just a few of these and left the rest for Paula and Hunter to enjoy.

About this time my cocktail ran out so I ordered an Iced Tea...

...and was happy to discover that, like Yachtsman Steakhouse, they serve a pitcher of simple syrup with their tea. I gladly used this to make my own sweet tea, to the exact degree of sweetness that I prefer.

I was also happy to see that the salad that I had enjoyed in December was still on the menu...

Heirloom Apple and Kale Salad with Cripps Pink Apples, Marcona Almonds, Cranberry, Feta, and Cider Vinaigrette

Once again, I was quite pleased with my choice. I especially loved the sweet Marcona almonds that topped this salad. I wanted to leave room for my next course so I didn't eat all of this, but I was sure not to leave any of those almonds behind. ;)

Next up: California Grill - Part II

California Grill - Part II

Instead of ordering an entree, I decided to finally try California Grill's signature appetizer...

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli with Tomato-Fennel Broth, crispy Mushrooms, Basil, Benziger Estate Olive Oil

I've always wanted to try this and am glad that I finally did. However, I'm sad to report that I didn't really like this. :sad2: The ravioli itself was okay but the look and taste of the tomato broth that it was submersed in really turned me off. Here is a less than flattering photo of the broth, which I think proves my point...

At about this point in our meal, it was time to head out to the observation deck for a great view of the Magic Kingdom fireworks...

When we returned to the table, Hunter had arranged for someone to cover our table with Mickey confetti, as it originally had only three...I guess one for each of us. :laughing: So now that he had the proper materials to work with, I asked that he re-create this lovely message for his dear wife, Paula...

The confetti artist at work. ;)

Hunter received a kiss for his efforts...

...or maybe two! :love:

Not to be outdone by Hunter's sweetness, we were then presented with complimentary desserts. Mine was the Seasonal Tasting, which is listed on the Dessert menu pictured below.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME FROM CALIFORNIA GRILL!!!

The almond crescent cookies were tasty but the rest of the desserts weren't anything special. If I had chosen a dessert, I would have gotten the fritters that I loved when I was here in December. But given that this dessert was complimentary, I can't complain. ;)

But those were not the only sweet treats I received for my birthday, as Paula and Hunter presented me with this box of delicious Hunter-made candy...

One last photo of our well-fed, happy trio...

So overall, with the exception of the disappointing ravioli, this was another great meal at California Grill. I was thrilled to be able to have my birthday dinner here and being there with Paula and Hunter was icing on the "birthday" cake. Thanks again, Paula!! :goodvibes

Next up: Breakfast from Roaring Forks

Hi Barb! I am really enjoying your reports! Happy belated birthday! It sounds like you had a grand time celebrating!

Beautiful restaurant for your birthday Barb ... Very special location : ) and that box of chocolate is amazing!

I'm so excited to read about the rest of your trip! I love reading reports from fellow solo travellers as my first solo trip is the end of October.

I'm also meeting up with fellow DISers while down there so I'm living vicariously through you until my next trip.

Thank you Barb!

What a nice meal at California Grill even if you didn't love your "entree". That broth does look weird- it is bright red!

Those truffles look delightful!

I had the ravioli years ago and the broth didn't look like yours...those globules of oil are pretty nasty looking. I'm sorry it wasn't up to snuff. I hope that was the only disappointment in your dining adventures this trip!

That bread pudding at RR is impossible to finish! It's amazing but so filling. I hit a wall with it too.

Your CG meal looks delicious! I am really wanting to get back there in September. How sweet of Hunter to make that candy for you! It looks so good.

We are leaving late tomorrow night and will be getting in some time Sunday afternoon. So sad that we just missed all of you!

I am really excited to be reading your latest reviews. However inquiring minds need to know if anyone at Flying Fish tried the new pork entree? We are eating there next Saturday for the first time and that is what we plan on ordering. We were hoping to get the old pork entree from your December reviews but it has since changed.

Brenda & I shared the signature entree duo, Michael had the Scottish salmon, and Beth had the tuna tartare appetizer as her entree. All of these were great! :thumbsup2 However, I'm sorry but I can't seem to remember what Paula and Hunter had. I want to say that they split the NY Strip Steak, but I'm not sure. :worried:

I can tell you though that the Pork entree listed on the 5/2 menu was:
Grilled Juniper and Herb-crusted Snake River Farms American Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin served with Crispy Horseradish, Sauerkraut, Leek, and Slow-braised Berkshire Pork-laced "Kartoffelpuffer", Apple-scented Red Cabbage, with a Whole-Grain and Violet Mustard Pork Reduction.

I hope that helps! :)

I've never been to raglan road, wow that bread pudding looks incredible. We will be back in disney world at WL in November

The bread pudding is wonderful and it's one of the things that keeps me going back to Raglan Road. :thumbsup2 And I hope you enjoy your stay at the Wilderness Lodge, it's such a beautiful resort.

Barb I just discovered your thread. I am new to disboards and wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed reading it thus far. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more! Happy Belated Birthday!!!pixiedust:

Welcome to the DISboards, Cindyrella! :wave2: And thanks for reading and commenting on my thread. Glad you are enjoying it! :goodvibes

Hi Barb! I am really enjoying your reports! Happy belated birthday! It sounds like you had a grand time celebrating!

Thanks Belle, it was really great to be able to celebrate my birthday at one of my favorite places in the world. :)

Beautiful restaurant for your birthday Barb ... Very special location : ) and that box of chocolate is amazing!

I love the new look of California Grill and the new observation deck provides an amazing view of Magic Kingdom and the fireworks. And Hunter's candy was delicious...it tasted even better than it looked. :thumbsup2

I'm so excited to read about the rest of your trip! I love reading reports from fellow solo travellers as my first solo trip is the end of October.

I'm also meeting up with fellow DISers while down there so I'm living vicariously through you until my next trip.

Thank you Barb!

I too will be there at the end of October if all goes as planned, so if you should happen to see me out and about please do say hi. :)

What a nice meal at California Grill even if you didn't love your "entree". That broth does look weird- it is bright red!

Those truffles look delightful!

Hi Rachel! :wave2: Yes, the famous ravioli gets a thumbs down from me I'm afraid, but Hunter's candy gets an enthusiastic thumbs up. :thumbsup2

I had the ravioli years ago and the broth didn't look like yours...those globules of oil are pretty nasty looking. I'm sorry it wasn't up to snuff. I hope that was the only disappointment in your dining adventures this trip!

The ravioli dish was not very warm when it was served to me so I suspect that it had sat awhile and that's why the oil started to separate and the unappealing globules appeared. Only a few more disappointments come to mind, otherwise the food on this trip was pretty great! :thumbsup2

That bread pudding at RR is impossible to finish! It's amazing but so filling. I hit a wall with it too.

Your CG meal looks delicious! I am really wanting to get back there in September. How sweet of Hunter to make that candy for you! It looks so good.

We are leaving late tomorrow night and will be getting in some time Sunday afternoon. So sad that we just missed all of you!

Such a pity that Rob didn't have the idea of taking an impromptu trip just a week or so earlier. ;) But anyway, I hope you have a great trip...I can't wait to see your Instagram posts. :woohoo:

Thank you so much. That does help as that is now what we are planning to get. It was your December reviews that have lead to us trying FF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter