I Can't, I'm Not Wearing a Princess Dress! - New TR link!!!!

Hey everyone

I just wanted to let you all know that the update will definitely not be posted today, so you've got all weekend. I might try to catch up on everyone else's updates and do some replies later, but I'm really not feeling it right now. I don't want to get into specifics, but if you're so inclined to say a prayer for our family, it would be much appreciated.
Sending prayers your way!

NOOOOO!!!! Oh, the humanity!
That's what I said!

From what I hear, you take that result and run with it.
::yes:: I've really had pretty good luck getting through there, but I've heard some horror stories.

Ah, yes. Usually they're called the Super 8, and they hate Priceline customers.
::yes:: ::yes:: You would know.

I vote that we call this the Schweitzer Suite from now on.
Shouldn't it be Fairfield Falls? You know, named after Albert Falls? :rolleyes1

Some of these free breakfasts make me immediately look for the nearest Krispy Kreme.
Good point. I like free though. Clearly. What they had was... well, ok. But it just seemed like they randomly threw some stuff out there and said enjoy.

We all feel very sorry for you.
I knew you would.

I love doing that! My wife and I are convinced there's a "Disney smell" you don't get anywhere else.
::yes::

And this is why we all felt sorry for you with the cold temps.
Hey, you were doing it a few weeks before me!

As long as it's not one of those random-guessing games where you have to try and predict what will happen next, when none of us have any idea and would do better at predicting Powerball numbers.
Ok, crap! I don't want to make anybody mad. I guess I'll throw some movie quotes in the next one or something.

How many did you walk all day, or just after you left the room in the afternoon/evening? I'm just trying to build my case for bias later when I complain about the point totals.

Assuming it's all day, I'll say 8257. For just the afternoon, 6401.
All day. I'm going from the screenshot of my step counting app.

You mean we were supposed to be paying attention to the last TR? That seems beyond reasonable expectations to me.

I'll say 4 times, meaning you made the trip to and from the Boardwalk twice.

Iced tea.

I mean, it's not like there's a bazillion drinks at Disney World or anything.
That's why it is worth more points.

Yes.

The Star Wars fireworks at DHS. Jar-Jar's Revenge, or whatever it's called.

A lot more than @pkondz , since you do not have a horseshoe crammed up your butt. Let's say 23.28415 minutes.

6a: Swan, Yacht Club, Beach Club
6b: Dolphin
6c: Boardwalk.

Look, I'll be honest. I just threw darts at the map. My first guess was Spaceship Earth, but I think my aim was a little off.

"Hello."

"Welcome aboard."

"DHS is closed to visitors for the evening."

"I am Keyser Soze."

"They're breaking ground on Star Wars Land tomorrow."

"Your fly is down."
Got em!

I was thinking maybe a tie that says "my other suite has Mickey Ears."
I like it. Coincidentally, I do have a Mickey tie now.

Oh the horror!

business_noose.jpg
That is pretty appropriate to the situation.

Fraternizing with known social deviants…
That kind’a thing might reflect right poorly on your delegation and candidate when the votes are being cast back over there at the convention.
Nah, it'll be alright. As long as nobody got tossed into lock up or anything.

Your assault on the world record for most massive Shrimp Wall will just have to wait.
Sad but true.

Now that kind of intrusion into family time really is something to be frustrated over.

That pretty much sums up nearly every day at work, right there.
Good point.

Ahhhh… the joys of travel.
What you’re experiencing here is what is now known as a “Suoer-8” moment.
::yes:: And I avoided them for that very reason!

The Fairfield Water Torture

Those fiends…
I like it! :rotfl2:

I suspect, you wouldn’t have been the first person bound for WDW to have done such a thing.
Nor would I be the last. :thumbsup2

Yep…
That’s right odd indeed.
I generally expect to have at least a bit of bread with my plate of meat.

Ehhh, not to worry…
It’ll be up to 75 or better in a couple hours.
Well... not quite.

<< insert Heavenly Choir soundtrack here >>
Music to my ears!

Cruel, just plain cruel.
Well, all the rest of ‘em that were already down there or on the way were doing the same.
So really, you were just piling on at that point.

Nicely done.
Yeah, I mean if everybody else gets to do it... :rolleyes1

Outright theft…
the hallmark of a good TR.
You got that right! :thumbsup2

So… like the difference between mostly dead and completely dead…
As long as Prince Humperdinck suffers, I’m in.
:rotfl2:

3 (cause it makes no sense)

Wow, talk about random.
Not Specialty, huh… well that means that the “Reggie’s Revenge” and “Cool-headed Monkey” that you knocked back first thing are out of the ruining then.

Let’s go with…
an Old Fashion

I do believe the rest of the guys were imbibing on those one evening or other down there, so…

Yes - Symphony in the Stars

The answer is always: 42

(except on those occasions when it 73)

A: YC, BC, Swan
B: Dolphin
C: Boardwalk

They start breaking ground on the AK-TTC monorail next Tuesday.

Or was it the one about putting a “Mr Increasable” rollercoaster in place of LMA at HS and that it’s designed to directly rival The Hulk?
Got em!

No idea.
Hey, I'm not as bad off as the other guy I'm working with right now.
So this is my day off.
I've been at work since 6:30am
He comes in for the evening shift at 2:30pm.
Ha! He still has a full 8 hour shift ahead of him.
Whereas I am already half way done my day.
Makes you feel good until you're on the other side of that equation, doesn't it?

Did he died?
No but I about died from laughter.

Makes sense. Since I usually don't have to pay for luggage, that part didn't factor in.
Good point. We don't fly enough or have any airline credit cards so with the exception of Southwest, we pretty much always have to.

But then your room wouldn't have bee ready until 3pm... at the earliest.
Good point. Because you know that's exactly how it would have played out.

Joining in!! Really stinks about having to go wear a tie instead of a Dismeet...ugh....hope it turned out ok!
Thanks for joining! Yeah, it was a real disappointment to miss out on that dinner. I still ended up making the most of it though.

I find it hard to believe they couldn't have sent out an email with that piece of info prior to then, either. I'm sure you weren't the only one who had already packed their things up.

Such a bummer to hear you weren't going to make it to the DISDad dinner. I know how much you've wanted to get together with them.
A few of us were a little frustrated about it. One of the guys going actually had to go out and buy a new suit because he didn't have one that fit. So I guess I didn't have it nearly that rough.

That's terrible! I know you can sometimes hear other toilets when you stay at Pop, but it's never right next to the headboard. I guess it was a good thing you had Disney to look forward to.
I'm sure it wasn't really right behind the headboard, but I had a king bed room and it was basically in the corner by the bathroom, so the plumbing was right there.

Ahhhh, Pop Century! You're finally at a Disney resort!
It's so strange seeing the room without any luggage. I'm not used to that sight. :rotfl2:
I know! I'm not either. The last time I stayed in a room there, we had luggage scattered everywhere.

Not surprised at all that the whole relaxing thing didn't last long. Honestly, I'm surprised you sat down at all.
True. I'm bad about not taking the time to relax and enjoy. I always want to go, go, go!

A new beer....I really have no clue.

Yes.
Hmm, I'm torn. You're staying at Pop, so you could easily have seen IllumiNations, but you mentioned the Boardwalk...so I'm gonna go with the Star Wars Fireworks. (Symphony in the Sky, I think it's called.)

1 hour 15 minutes

You're making me wish I'd paid closer attention to your past reports. :rotfl2:
a)Yacht Club, Boardwalk, and...I'm only guessing two.
6) Yacht Club?
c) Beach Club?

Bad news, because of marathon weekend all the roads were being closed and traffic was being diverted. So if you were staying at Pop and needed to leave in the morning, you'd have to go move your car to Art.
Got em!

To do what???
Well, to get answers in for the contest. But since you're already done, I guess you can just take the weekend off.

:worried: I'm sorry to hear something isn't well. I really hope everything is all right with the kids and the pregnancy. Keeping you all in my thoughts.

Hmmm... Shan't pry. You'll tell us if you feel like it.
But consider it done.

Andy, I hope everything turns out okay for you guys. I will definitely have you in my prayers.
Please keep us updated when you have more information that you're ready to share.

I hope whatever is going on is resolved in the best manner possible. You're in my thoughts.

May the detriments be minor.
May the best answers be found quickly.
May you all know the calm of resilience.

Prayers sent your way.

So sorry to hear that. Prayers and good thoughts for you and your family.

Got it. We're praying for you guys. Long way to go yet.

Sending prayers your way!
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a little more myself now than I was this morning. It's been a rough day, and while I don't really want to share it all in a public forum, I've shared the details in a couple of other places that some of you might be able to see it.

Again, I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. Thank you all so much!

Sorry things aren't going well. Many prayers sent.

As for the contest- here goes:
1. The next update will cover my afternoon/evening at Disney World with no park tickets. How many total steps did I walk today? (points to be awarded based on how close you are to the correct answer)

2. How many times did I make the walk between DHS and the Boardwalk? (5 points - I asked this on my last TR while I was still there and 5 bonus points will be awarded to anyone who already got it right there)

3. What kind of drink did I try that I have never had before? (25 points – It isn’t one of the specialty cocktails)
Kona Longboard Island Lager

4. Will I see a fireworks show tonight? (5 points) Yes
4a. If so, which one? (5 points) Illuminations

5. How many minutes will I spend waiting for Disney Transportation (5 bus rides, 1 monorail ride) this afternoon/evening? (points awarded based on how close you are to correct answer) 55 minutes

6. I visited 4 of the 5 EPCOT area resorts. 3 of them are resorts that I’ve never stepped foot inside before. (4 points each, -3 for each wrong answer!)
6a. Which 3 did I visit for the first time?
Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan
6b. Which 1 have I still never been in? Dolphin
6c. Which 1 did I make a return visit to? Boardwalk

7. What did the bus driver tell us? (25 points if you’re right, 1 point for trying. Bonus points for creative answers or even being close to right) Take small children by the hand. If you don't, they will end up at lost and found and be taught how to sing It's a Small world in 37 languages. :)

First, let me just say I hope things are going OK for you. Sending positive thoughts your way.

I enjoy the road trip pictures. I like the idea of driving to WDW. Unfortunately I'm a bit too far north for it to be practical. But maybe someday. I seems like a great family road trip (at least in my mind it is).

Oh look! Another contest to answer incorrectly. :P
Well, let's give it a try...
1. The next update will cover my afternoon/evening at Disney World with no park tickets. How many total steps did I walk today? (points to be awarded based on how close you are to the correct answer)

2. How many times did I make the walk between DHS and the Boardwalk? (5 points - I asked this on my last TR while I was still there and 5 bonus points will be awarded to anyone who already got it right there)

3. What kind of drink did I try that I have never had before? (25 points – It isn’t one of the specialty cocktails)

4. Will I see a fireworks show tonight? (5 points)
4a. If so, which one? (5 points)

5. How many minutes will I spend waiting for Disney Transportation (5 bus rides, 1 monorail ride) this afternoon/evening? (points awarded based on how close you are to correct answer)

6. I visited 4 of the 5 EPCOT area resorts. 3 of them are resorts that I’ve never stepped foot inside before. (4 points each, -3 for each wrong answer!)
6b. Which 1 have I still never been in?
6c. Which 1 did I make a return visit to?

7. What did the bus driver tell us? (25 points if you’re right, 1 point for trying. Bonus points for creative answers or even being close to right)

1. 14,900
2. 3
3. some kind of craft beer
4. Yes 4a. Symphony in the Stars
5. 27 minutes
6a. Swan, Dolphin, Beach Club
6b. Boardwalk
6c. Beach Club
7. This bus made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs

Makes you feel good until you're on the other side of that equation, doesn't it?

I am on the other side!

No but I about died from laughter.

:laughing:

Good point. Because you know that's exactly how it would have played out.

Well, to get answers in for the contest. But since you're already done, I guess you can just take the weekend off.

What is this "off" that you speak of?
Hmm... gotta leave for work in 10 minutes.
Shift #26 in the last 25 days.

This meant they wanted us to wear a jacket and tie.
:sad2: And of course they had to ask this of you AFTER you'd packed!

In addition to that piece of news, they informed us that we were supposed to be at an event at the Trade Show at 4pm on Saturday. My plan for Saturday was to just get checked in and register and then head over to the Poly for dinner at Ohana with the Disdads. There wasn’t any rigid schedule for Saturday until they laid this one on us. Unfortunately, this meant I had to back out of my plans to meet the Disdads for dinner. I’d really been looking forward to that, so it was a big disappointment.
:sad: That's a real bummer; I know you were looking forward to that night.

Apparently the room they gave me is positioned so that all plumbing draining the building runs through the wall at the headboard of the bed. I could hear water rushing every time someone flushed a toilet, turned on a sink or took a shower. I was in bed unable to sleep for a few hours. Granted, part of that was probably the excitement of getting some Disney time the next day, but the noise wasn’t helping. Every time I’d get close to drifting off somebody would flush a toilet or something.
:headache: Glad you eventually managed to get a little sleep. Rough night, though.

When I stopped at the welcome center, I was starting to worry a little bit. It was cold enough that I could see my breath. This isn’t supposed to happen in Florida!!!
:cold: Yeah, don't expect that in Florida. Glad it warmed up.

Some sort of fancy hot chocolate.

4. Will I see a fireworks show tonight? (5 points)
4a. If so, which one? (5 points)
Yes, Star Wars.

5. How many minutes will I spend waiting for Disney Transportation (5 bus rides, 1 monorail ride) this afternoon/evening? (points awarded based on how close you are to correct answer)
86 minutes

6b. Which 1 have I still never been in?
6c. Which 1 did I make a return visit to?
Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin
Yacht Club
Beach Club

7. What did the bus driver tell us? (25 points if you’re right, 1 point for trying. Bonus points for creative answers or even being close to right)
That Disney's opening a 5th gate.

:worried: That doesn't sound great. Truly hope all is well! Prayers being sent your way!

Hope everything is okay. Sending good thoughts your way.

Sorry things aren't going well. Many prayers sent.

First, let me just say I hope things are going OK for you. Sending positive thoughts your way.
Thank you all. We're going through some difficult times right now, and will be for quite some time.

I really don't want to elaborate too much on a public board, but I'll try to share a little more as I can later.

As for the contest- here goes:
Got em!

I enjoy the road trip pictures. I like the idea of driving to WDW. Unfortunately I'm a bit too far north for it to be practical. But maybe someday. I seems like a great family road trip (at least in my mind it is).
I really like making the drive and seeing the country. That's always an enjoyable part of the trip for me as well.

Oh look! Another contest to answer incorrectly. :P
Well, let's give it a try...
Hey, it's all for fun. I've been good at some, and I've done horribly at others.

1. 14,900
2. 3
3. some kind of craft beer
4. Yes 4a. Symphony in the Stars
5. 27 minutes
6a. Swan, Dolphin, Beach Club
6b. Boardwalk
6c. Beach Club
7. This bus made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs
Got em!

I am on the other side!
Well, yeah... for now.

What is this "off" that you speak of?
Hmm... gotta leave for work in 10 minutes.
Shift #26 in the last 25 days.
You need to do something about that...

:sad2: And of course they had to ask this of you AFTER you'd packed!
No kidding. This is information that could have easily come sooner!

:sad: That's a real bummer; I know you were looking forward to that night.
::yes:: It was a big disappointment to not get to go.

:headache: Glad you eventually managed to get a little sleep. Rough night, though.
It was. I was so close to just walking out of the hotel and leaving.

:cold: Yeah, don't expect that in Florida. Glad it warmed up
It warmed up nicely, but we did have some cool mornings!

Some sort of fancy hot chocolate.

Yes, Star Wars.

86 minutes

Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin
Yacht Club
Beach Club

That Disney's opening a 5th gate.
Got em!

Thank you all. We're going through some difficult times right now, and will be for quite some time.

I really don't want to elaborate too much on a public board, but I'll try to share a little more as I can later.

I totally understand not wanting to share too much on a public board, but if there's anything we can do to help you guys (in addition to the prayers, of course), please let us know!

Running Wild at Disney World!

I headed out to the bus stop and waited for a bus to Disney Springs. Taking a page out of @pkondz ‘s book, I chose to time my wait. 2 minutes. Not bad.

I should add though, that I stopped by the concierge desk on the way. I had a paper in the room indicating there would be road closures due to the races and that the front desk could give proper directions for getting where we'd need to go. They were very helpful and told me that I'd have no problem going the way I planned to go. It was a refreshing change from what I experienced at Disneyland last year.

Our bus ride though… well, it was interesting. I didn’t time the actual bus ride, but it took forever! I swear it felt like we took the longest way possible to get to the Springs.

But the highlight of the trip was something the bus driver said.

Don’t all good stories start that way?

Anyway, I don’t know if I (and several other people around me) misunderstood him or he just doesn’t know his wildlife, but he pointed to the right and told us there were some eagles!

I wish I could have gotten my phone up to take a picture of those beautiful, majestic…

Wild turkeys.

Maybe he had been drinking some Wild Turkey???

And this, boys and girls, is why we don’t pay attention to rumors spread by bus drivers.

Eventually, we arrived at the Springs. I headed in and my first stop was a quick visit to the Lego store. Since we were leaving DS at home, we had to bring home something fun for him!

20160108_155737.jpg

I didn’t spend much time looking around and just got what I wanted and got out of there. I was hungry, and thirsty, and soon I was approaching this sight!

20160108_144533_2.jpg

I walked in and sat down at the bar. The diving bell was empty and for a split second, I considered just parking myself in there. But since I was alone, I decided to just sit at the bar, which was also empty, and save the tables for a larger group. It was still just a little bit before 3 at this time. I made myself comfortable and ordered a Reggie’s Revenge while I looked at the menu. I ended up choosing a shrimp flatbread.

20160108_145354_1.jpg

Well, by the time I got my flatbread, Reggie’s Revenge was gone. I don’t know what I can say, other than it was good and it hit the spot on what was becoming a warm afternoon. I asked for a glass of water and then had them bring me a Cool Headed Monkey. And keeping with tradition, well, I rarely photograph food. I’d finally sated my appetite just enough to take a picture for you this time though…

20160108_150748.jpg

It wasn’t all gone yet…

I’ve got to say that both drinks were fantastic and according to the bartender they are the 2 top selling drinks that they serve. They were both a little strong and a lot sugary. My stomach didn’t really like them at the time, but I got over it quickly. I attributed it to the fact that I hadn’t had any food since breakfast and they really were very sweet and strong.

And it took me approximately 30 seconds to down each one.

But both were delicious and I’d definitely order them again.

For those of you counting, that’s 2 drinks, and while I’ve never had these particular drinks, they’re what I consider to be some specialty cocktails. We’re still looking for the points!

The flatbread was also great. I don’t particularly care for seafood. I’ll eat it once in a while, but given a choice, it isn’t something I’ll tend to order. But for some reason, I chose to go that way this time, and I’m glad I got it. It hit the spot and it was absolutely delicious. Everything on it tasted fresh and flavorful. I wouldn’t hesitate to get it again, but I also think I might try the meatball sliders next time, as they looked delicious.

I didn’t take a lot of pictures, but I did take the time while I was in there to look around and soak in the detail. It really is a neat place with all of Indy’s artifacts and Jock’s airplane parts. I highly recommend taking some time to check it out if you get a chance. And while you’re at it, walk up to the bar and grab a drink to go if you don’t want to sit down. I saw a couple of people come in for a Reggie’s Revenge to take with them in a to go cup, so they’ll definitely take care of you! If you do want to sit down and enjoy a drink or tow, the service there was excellent and very fast. I was only there for about a half hour total.

I finished my Cool Headed Monkey and made my way back to the bus stop. I waited 5 minutes and was on a bus back to Pop at 3:30.

Since my plans for dinner on Saturday had been canceled, I was hoping to make a quick stop by the Poly to see Trader Sam’s in case I couldn’t make it back later. I considered just taking a bus from the Springs to the Poly, but since the Pop bus arrived first, I chose to take my Lego purchase back to the room so I wouldn’t have to carry it around all evening.

I chose poorly.

I dropped my bag off and headed directly back to the bus stops to wait for a bus to MK. It was 4 pm and I was supposed to meet some of the Disdads for drinks at the Belle Vue Lounge at 5 pm. I figured I’d have just enough time to grab a quick drink and head back out… I’d be late, but surely not too terribly late.

After 19 minutes, I was finally on a bus to MK.

Ok, @pkondz maybe it took more than 2 or 3 bus rides to match you, but this is my third bus and I’m almost there. You suck.

I made it to MK and headed straight for the resort monorail. I snapped this picture as I walked by because I was surprised to see the tree still up and I figured it would be gone by the time I got to go into the parks on Wednesday.

20160108_163958.jpg

I made it to the monorail platform just in time for the CM to stop me from boarding the one on the platform. Really? We can’t find room somewhere for just 1 person???

I waited 6 minutes for the next monorail to arrive. Thankfully there was plenty of room on this monorail for everyone to sit down.

Because we’d need it.

We pulled out of the MK station and stopped for a few minutes for “traffic.”

We got going again and made it to the Contemporary.

They loaded the monorail and closed the doors. And we sat.

And sat.

And sat.

I think we ended up sitting there for about 15 minutes. I don’t know for sure. I didn’t exactly time it since I didn’t expect to be sitting there for so long.

I finally got to the Poly and it was after 5. I was in a hurry but I was there and I still wanted to see Trader Sam’s. I walked in and the hostess wanted to give me a buzzer. When I told her it was just me she allowed me to go in. There was nowhere to sit, and there was quite a crowd around the bar already. Rather than waiting to get a drink, I just walked around the place and enjoyed a few minutes of just taking in the details. I walked back to the hostess and told her thanks, but that I’d just go to the outside stand to get a drink. Again, there was a line. I stood there long enough to tell that it was going to take a while because the people currently ordering were beyond indecisive. I just gave up and left.

Oh well, at least I got to see the inside of Trader Sam’s.

It really is a cool place.

Maybe I can actually get in there for long enough to enjoy a drink sometime.

I contemplated taking the boat or monorail back to MK and hopping on a bus to Boardwalk, but instead I chose to go to the Poly bus stop. I waited 7 minutes for a bus to DHS. Once I got there, I figured I could hop on a boat if one was there or I’d just walk.

I got off the bus and I could see that there was no boat and there was a big crowd on the dock. So I decided I’d walk to the Boardwalk.

Only, I’ve never been on the path between DHS and the Boardwalk.

I knew it was along the water, but I wasn’t sure if it was on the boat dock side or the bus loading side of the water.

I saw a custodial CM. I asked her, because who would know the grounds better???

She directed me to the side of the water where the boat launch is.

She was wrong.

So I walked backtracked towards the busses, made a left turn and walked as fast as I could. I was walking along for a little bit when a runner passed me as he was jogging. He must have been doing some kind of interval thing, because just after he passed me, he proceeded to slow to a walk.

In no time at all, I passed him again.

I continued walking and a few minutes later, he jogged past me once again.

As before, he then slowed to a walk and I passed him.

Not to brag, but who needs to be a runner? I found out that I can speed walk from DHS to Boardwalk faster than somebody decked out in running shoes and looking like a marathoner can do it.

I found the lobby and it didn’t take me long to make it to Belle Vue Lounge. It was almost 6, but I finally made it! There were about 8 or 10 Disdads sitting there enjoying some drinks. It was kind of a fluid group throughout the evening as Dads would come or go as we made our way around the Boardwalk.

I walked up and introduced myself. It was great getting a chance to meet some individuals in person that I had known on here for years for the first time ever. Unfortunately, I don’t have a group picture, which I’m sure is partly due to the fact that the group makeup changed throughout the night. I didn’t really take any pictures while we were together, to be honest, but one of the dads set up a periscope while we were out at one of the lounges, so we had a chance to show others stuck at home how much fun we were having!

I considered getting a drink, but the plan for the bar crawl was to move to Martha’s Vineyard at 6. And well… it was 6. Instead I just stood and chatted with a couple of the dads while everyone finished their drinks and paid their tabs. Soon we were off and on our way to the Beach Club.

When we got to Martha’s Vineyard, I looked at the menu. A lot of dads were getting some apps. I was starting to get a little bit hungry again, but I wasn’t sure how long I’d stay there. I had something else I wanted to try to do this evening. I chose not to get food, but I got a Yuengling and a glass of water.

Yep, I’ve had a Yuengling before. We’re still looking for the answer!

The original plan was to spend an hour in each lounge and move on. We ended up spending more than an hour there. There was a lounge singer in there playing a guitar and interacting with the crowd. Well, when a group of Disdads walks in taking up half the lounge, it obviously made for some good interactions with him. I’m not sure if he was impressed or frustrated with us when he’d try to set up a joke and someone would steal his punchline. It was a good show and a great interaction though. It might not be Yeehaw Bob, but it was a good show and worth checking out.

We had a good time singing along with him and chatting amongst ourselves. We had a fairly long periscope session going while we were there and chatted with some of the dads that couldn’t make it. At about 7:40, I excused myself and told the dads that I’d catch up with them later. I had something that I wanted to try to do.

What might that be?

Symphony in the Sky!

We weren’t really planning to have an evening in DHS, so I didn’t think I’d have a chance to see it later in the week. Even though I didn’t have a park ticket, I really wanted to see this show.

I walked back towards DHS from the Boardwalk. This was the second time on this path for those who are counting.

I made it there a little bit before 8 and went through security. In a way, I didn’t want to get close, because I knew the tapstyle area with the roof overhead would make it difficult to get a good angle to see the fireworks. But I ended up getting right up as close as I could, because I wanted to be able to hear the soundtrack. I moved around while the show was going, and confirmed that you really had to be inside the perimeter of where the ticket booths are to be able to hear it very well.

With obstructed view, I was able to hear the soundtrack and see the show… which is better than not seeing it at all!

20160108_200008.jpg

20160108_200103_2.jpg

20160108_200320.jpg

20160108_200321_1.jpg

I could tell that I missed a lot of the show because I really couldn’t see anything except for the highest fireworks. But I thought the soundtrack was great and from what I could see and hear, they did a great job making the fireworks go right along with the soundtrack. I thought it was a great show, but it was only about 5 minutes long. My only complaint is that I’d like it to be longer.

As the show was ending, my phone rang. DW was calling me. She was on her way home, so I talked to her and told the kids goodnight. While we were talking, she told me she had to have her brother come over and fix our garage door because it fell on her car!

I started asking a bunch of questions, but she couldn’t answer them. Basically she assured me that the car was fine and the door is ok and fixed. I’m still not sure “fell on the car” means to her what it means to me, but a piece of the track had come loose and had to be fastened back to the wall so it wasn’t a big deal.

By the time I’d finished this conversation, I had just completed my third walk along the DHS/Boardwalk path. According to Twitter, the dads had moved on over to Crew’s Cup Lounge at Yacht Club. I headed in to join them. A few of them had ordered some food, but again, I didn’t order anything because the plan was to be moving on fairly soon by the time I got there. I wanted to order a drink, but our server was slow… a few of the guys there were paying their tabs and leaving while others were still waiting on drinks they ordered to be brought out. I figured there was no point getting anything if service was that bad and I just sat and chatted with a couple of the dads.

We finished up at Crew’s Cup and while we still had 2 lounges left on the itinerary to hit, the longer than expected stay at Martha’s Vineyard made us decide to cut things a bit short and head straight to the last one on the list, Kimono’s in the Swan.

It took a moment for them to find a place big enough to accommodate the 12 of us who were there at the time. We got in and sat down. I was looking at the drink menu and I couldn’t decide what I wanted to get. One of the dads took a quick look and ordered right away. He got a Kimonos Dragon, I believe. The server kind of gave him a sideways look and told him it is pink and has rose petals in it. He smiled at her and said he’s secure in his manhood.

Sure enough, it was a pink drink and it did indeed have rose petals floating in it.

I wasn’t quite so quick to order. I looked at the menu, but nothing really stood out to me. I considered a Kirin beer, but I’ve had them before. I wanted to try something different. So I posed a question to the group…

Who knows anything about sake?

I’ve never tried it. I knew nothing about it. I wasn’t even sure how you’re supposed to drink it. Sip it? Shoot it?

I was then asked what my room number is because they’d need to know that information ahead of time if I was going to try sake.

They almost intimidated me from trying it, but hey, what the heck… I had the sake flight.

20160108_215058_1.jpg

And… it was ok. I don’t remember the names of them, but the one on the left was smooth but basically flavorless. The one in the middle got a reaction from me similar to the Beverly pictures that we’ve all seen. The one on the right was a coconut sake and I’d say it really just tasted like Malibu rum. I survived my first sake experience no worse for the wear.

It was around 10 pm and several of the dads were ordering sushi. I was hungry since I’d still not had anything since my flatbread at Jock Lindsey’s, but I’m just not a big fan of sushi. I also wanted to get to bed at a reasonable hour so I’d be rested on Saturday and I wanted to beat the rush to the buses since DHS had EMH until 11. I bid the dads farewell, and headed out.

It was a fun evening getting to put a face with some names and enjoy some conversations in person. I’m glad that I had the opportunity to spend some time with them and enjoy some interactions. I hope I can do it again in the future!

I made my 4th walk on the trail between the Boardwalk and DHS and I checked the board, making sure to find the bus stops for both Pop and AoA. I planned to get on the first one I could.

Thankfully, a Pop bus was sitting there and I walked right on without a wait!

I got back to Pop and headed into the food court for a late night meal. I ordered a burger and fries and grabbed a tie die cheesecake and Powerade.

I have to assume it was because they were closing in about 15 minutes, but this was the absolute worst food I’ve ever had at Disney World. My burger was cold and the fries were cold and had clearly been sitting there for a while. It was just bad.

The cheesecake and Powerade at least hit the spot.

I went back to my room and I was in bed and sound asleep in no time.

You probably know some of the answers to my questions already, but here’s the rundown:

1. 20297 steps - within 500 = 25 points, 1000 = 15, 2500 = 10, 5000 = 5

2. 4 times walked between Boardwalk and DHS – 5 points

3. Sake was the drink I tried for the first time – 25 points

4. Yes – 5 points

4a. Symphony in the sky (Star Wars Fireworks) – 5 points

5. 39 minutes waited for Disney Transportation – within 1 minute = 25 points, 3 min = 15 points, 5 min = 10 points, 10 min = 5 points

6. I didn’t actually intend for this to be a question, but since it was numbered kind of awkwardly and someone found a loophole and answered it… Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan - 4 points each

6a. Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan – 4 points each, -3 for wrong answer

6b. Dolphin - 4 points, - 3 if incorrect

6c. Boardwalk – 4 points, -3 if incorrect

7. The bus driver told us he saw “eagles.” - Nobody got it, everybody got a point or more.

Bonus points awarded to:

SoccerDogWithEars – for a fast bus driver

Gracefulskinny – for being right twice and finding a loophole

Vrajewski10513 – for an old bus driver & being closest on steps

SarahDisney – Because I think he was drinking Wild Turkey. And closest on minutes waited.

Chillitsanne – Because princess drivers make me laugh out loud at work

Pkondz – for making the world turn

Captain_Oblivious – Caught me with my fly down

Amazingact – Because that’s how it was in Disneyland!

Cindianne320 – Scary singing kids (maybe I should have made it negative though)

Terra Nova guy – The Millennium Falcon would be much faster

Dugette – Second closest on steps... by 15.

Leaderboard:

jandlinz 71

SarahDisney 49

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes 46

Gracefulskinny 43

Captain_Oblivious 40

franandaj 32

6travel 31

chillitsanne 31

pkondz 31

cindianne320 30

vrajewski10513 22

Dugette 20

SoccerDogWithEars 19

FantasiaMagic 17

Terra Nova Guy 14

amazingact21 10

And the questions for round 2:

1. I’m going to be going to Universal Studios and then checking in at my conference. How many steps will I walk on Saturday? (points will be awarded based on how close you are to the answer)

2. Where did I have breakfast? (5 points)

3. What kind of problem did I have to deal with over the phone when I woke up? (20 points)

4. I repeatedly encountered an annoying family wearing shirts based on characters from an attraction in Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Name the movie, TV show, Attraction, Land or characters. (5 points)

5. How many times did I walk past Diagon Alley before figuring out where to go? (5 points)

6. Which ride broke down while I was on it? (5 points)

7. What did my fellow passengers on Jurassic Park River Adventure continually do that made me want to feed them to the T-Rex? (10 points)

8. How many times did I ride the Hogsmeade Express between the parks? (5 points)

9. I saw something in Islands of Adventure that made me really, really sad. What was it? (Hint: This should be easy if you know my favorite ride there and check the refurb list. – 20 points)

Last edited:
Great update - and it sounds like a really fun Dismeet with the Disdads...

Since we were leaving DS at home, we had to bring home something fun for him!

OMG are these Star Wars figures not the MOST IMPOSSIBLE LEGO ever??? Maybe it's just us...but my DS got one for Christmas, and we still have not finished it...

I should add though, that I stopped by the concierge desk on the way. I had a paper in the room indicating there would be road closures due to the races and that the front desk could give proper directions for getting where we'd need to go. They were very helpful and told me that I'd have no problem going the way I planned to go. It was a refreshing change from what I experienced at Disneyland last year.
Oh gosh, yeah I remember you saying that when you were in DL.
Anyway, I don’t know if I (and several other people around me) misunderstood him or he just doesn’t know his wildlife, but he pointed to the right and told us there were some eagles!

I wish I could have gotten my phone up to take a picture of those beautiful, majestic…

Wild turkeys.
Oh boy.:rotfl:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Eventually, we arrived at the Springs. I headed in and my first stop was a quick visit to the Lego store. Since we were leaving DS at home, we had to bring home something fun for him!

20160108_155737.jpg
Oh cool! Oh let me ask you, what did you and your song think about the new Star Wars film?
Even though I'm not a fan of Star Wars, I still haven't seen it yet, but want to.
I ended up choosing a shrimp flatbread.
Yum that sounds good.
I’ve got to say that both drinks were fantastic and according to the bartender they are the 2 top selling drinks that they serve. They were both a little strong and a lot sugary. My stomach didn’t really like them at the time, but I got over it quickly. I attributed it to the fact that I hadn’t had any food since breakfast and they really were very sweet and strong.
The flatbread was also great. I don’t particularly care for seafood. I’ll eat it once in a while, but given a choice, it isn’t something I’ll tend to order. But for some reason, I chose to go that way this time, and I’m glad I got it. It hit the spot and it was absolutely delicious. Everything on it tasted fresh and flavorful. I wouldn’t hesitate to get it again, but I also think I might try the meatball sliders next time, as they looked delicious.
That's good to hear you liked everything! It all looks/sounds great. I like the idea of the Hanger Bar, and really all the new places at Disney Springs. SO much more to do/see now!
I think we ended up sitting there for about 15 minutes. I don’t know for sure. I didn’t exactly time it since I didn’t expect to be sitting there for so long.

I finally got to the Poly and it was after 5. I was in a hurry but I was there and I still wanted to see Trader Sam’s. I walked in and the hostess wanted to give me a buzzer. When I told her it was just me she allowed me to go in. There was nowhere to sit, and there was quite a crowd around the bar already. Rather than waiting to get a drink, I just walked around the place and enjoyed a few minutes of just taking in the details. I walked back to the hostess and told her thanks, but that I’d just go to the outside stand to get a drink. Again, there was a line. I stood there long enough to tell that it was going to take a while because the people currently ordering were beyond indecisive. I just gave up and left.
That's annoying, especially when you're kind of on a schedule :sad2:
With obstructed view, I was able to hear the soundtrack and see the show… which is better than not seeing it at all!

20160108_200008.jpg
WOW! From that view they do look very nice! Glad you enjoyed them.
Is DHS planning to keep them there for now?
Kimono’s in the Swan.
I LOVE this place! I also love sushi. Just the whole atmosphere of the place, it's great. And the food is so authentic and fresh:D
I was then asked what my room number is because they’d need to know that information ahead of time if I was going to try sake.

They almost intimidated me from trying it, but hey, what the heck… I had the sake flight.

20160108_215058_1.jpg
Always fun to try something new!:thumbsup2
It was a fun evening getting to put a face with some names and enjoy some conversations in person. I’m glad that I had the opportunity to spend some time with them and enjoy some interactions. I hope I can do it again in the future!
How nice you were able to meet up with some of the DISdads, sounds like it was a lot of fun!:goodvibes
Ok here we go!
1. I’m going to be going to Universal Studios and then checking in at my conference. How many steps will I walk on Saturday? (points will be awarded based on how close you are to the answer)
35,000 steps.
The donut shop, I think it's by the Simpson's area? Sorry I don;t know what it's called:rotfl:
3. What kind of problem did I have to deal with over the phone when I woke up? (20 points)

4. I repeatedly encountered an annoying family wearing shirts based on characters from an attraction in Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Name the movie, TV show, Attraction, Land or characters. (5 points)
Harry Potter, using those darn wands. :rotfl2:
5. How many times did I walk past Diagon Alley before figuring out where to go? (5 points)
4 times
ET?
7. What did my fellow passengers on Jurassic Park River Adventure continually do that made me want to feed them to the T-Rex? (10 points)
Talk/take flash photography?
8. How many times did I ride the Hogsmeade Express between the parks? (5 points)
4 times
9. I saw something in Islands of Adventure that made me really, really sad. What was it? (Hint: This should be easy if you know my favorite ride there and check the refurb list. – 20 points)
I did check the list lol, Twister was closed for good?

I have to assume it was because they were closing in about 15 minutes, but this was the absolute worst food I’ve ever had at Disney World. My burger was cold and the fries were cold and had clearly been sitting there for a while. It was just bad.

I don't think so. The last time I ate at Pop, I had a cheeseburger that was so bad, that I went and complained to the manager. My mom refuses to eat there anymore, because the meals have just been nasty. For our trip this month, she plans on walking over to Art anytime she wants to eat back at the resort.

amazingact21 10

:rotfl2:
:scared:

I don't think I've ever been dead last in anything before. My answers were just pitiful! :rotfl:

The Three Broomsticks...I pretty much gurantee I'm wrong on this one, but I literally have zero knowledge on Universal restaurants/QS places aside from City Walk and WWoHP.

Express pass issues for Universal?

Minions

Twice

Forbidden Journey

Screamed as loud as they could.

Twice

The Hulk was dismantled.

It sounds like you had a really fun evening with the DISdads. It's always fun to meet DIS friends you've known for years and put a face to their internet name.
You guys made some good progress on your..Epcot resort bar crawl? Would that be the right name for it?

Smart thinking to sneak away for minute and watch the Symphony in the Sky fireworks. Without having to go into the park.

Glad to see you made it to the bus stop by yourself after the sake flight.:drinking1:rotfl:

Man, your 20000+ on a non-park day seems like a lot. Or I guess I'm just a lazy person.:rotfl2:

How many folks on that bus mistook a turkey for an eagle?!? Yikes.[/quote]

Our bus ride though… well, it was interesting. I didn’t time the actual bus ride, but it took forever! I swear it felt like we took the longest way possible to get to the Springs.

I've had this happen before. My family is convinced the Disney Springs exists in an alternate universe because it always seems to take forever to get there

It's because at 90mph, any bird looks like an eagle ;)

I made it to the monorail platform just in time for the CM to stop me from boarding the one on the platform. Really? We can’t find room somewhere for just 1 person???

Better than the last time I tried to get on the monorail. My mom, fiance, and I were leaving MK, and the express monorail to the TTC was down. So we do what any DISer would do, and walked up the ramp to the resort monorail. Only to be told by the CM at the top "This is for resort guests only, they pay for this privilege" :eek::furious: I did write a strongly worded letter to Disney about her.

What might that be?

Symphony in the Sky!

I knew it!

By the time I’d finished this conversation, I had just completed my third walk along the DHS/Boardwalk path.

And then you were done for the night and caught the boat to Epcot....right?

Heh. So, the last time my fiance had sake, it was while he was out with his family (in the wee years of our relationship, before we were engaged). And our texts looked something like this:
Joe: Saki woot!
Me: You mean sake?
Joe: No, saki
Me: The Japanese drink? It's spelled sake
*silence for 10 minutes*
Me: You're googling it aren't you?
Joe: I was, but I got yelled at by the waiter for being on my phone

I made my 4th walk on the trail between the Boardwalk and DHS and I checked the board, making sure to find the bus stops for both Pop and AoA. I planned to get on the first one I could.

No, dang it, you aren't following the plan.

You probably know some of the answers to my questions already, but here’s the rundown:

Psh, I don't even remember what I guessed. Except it was 3 times for the walk

SoccerDogWithEars 19

Wow. 13th place. I stink at this.

1. I’m going to be going to Universal Studios and then checking in at my conference. How many steps will I walk on Saturday?

Pop food court

3. What kind of problem did I have to deal with over the phone when I woke up?

Hmmm.....something to do with the garage that was supposedly fixed?

4. I repeatedly encountered an annoying family wearing shirts based on characters from an attraction in Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Name the movie, TV show, Attraction, Land or characters.

Minions. It's always minions.

5. How many times did I walk past Diagon Alley before figuring out where to go?

6. Which ride broke down while I was on it?

Forbidden Journey....because it always breaks down

7. What did my fellow passengers on Jurassic Park River Adventure continually do that made me want to feed them to the T-Rex?

Squeal. Loudly and at a pitch not normally registered by the human ear

8. How many times did I ride the Hogsmeade Express between the parks?

Again, hmmm. Nothing in your last TR hints as to whether you have a base ticket or a PTP (which I know you need to ride it), but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess not at all.

9. I saw something in Islands of Adventure that made me really, really sad. What was it? (Hint: This should be easy if you know my favorite ride there and check the refurb list.

The Hulk in pieces

Pop cafeteria

Wife couldn't find Magic Bands

4. I repeatedly encountered an annoying family wearing shirts based on characters from an attraction in Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Name the movie, TV show, Attraction, Land or characters. (5 points) Minions

Twice

The Mummy

Yell obscenities.

8. How many times did I ride the Hogsmeade Express between the parks? (5 points) Twice

9. I saw something in Islands of Adventure that made me really, really sad. What was it? (Hint: This should be easy if you know my favorite ride there and check the refurb list. – 20 points) HULK was closed.

Taking a page out of @pkondz ‘s book, I chose to time my wait. 2 minutes. Not bad.
:thumbsup2 I just might have to do the same in March.

I should add though, that I stopped by the concierge desk on the way. I had a paper in the room indicating there would be road closures due to the races and that the front desk could give proper directions for getting where we'd need to go.
OYE! :headache: AGAIN?!?!?!?!??

They were very helpful and told me that I'd have no problem going the way I planned to go. It was a refreshing change from what I experienced at Disneyland last year.
Well at least there's that! LOL.

Was it just the route this particular driver took or am I going to regret appeasing Little Miss and her love of buses?

Wild turkeys.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

And this, boys and girls, is why we don’t pay attention to rumors spread by bus drivers.
:lmao:

Since we were leaving DS at home, we had to bring home something fun for him!
Good thinking!

I’d finally sated my appetite just enough to take a picture for you this time though…

20160108_150748.jpg
Wow! How... thoughtful... :rotfl::rotfl2:

We’re still looking for the points!
Because you tried a new beer right?

Since my plans for dinner on Saturday had been canceled, I was hoping to make a quick stop by the Poly to see Trader Sam’s in case I couldn’t make it back later. I considered just taking a bus from the Springs to the Poly, but since the Pop bus arrived first, I chose to take my Lego purchase back to the room so I wouldn’t have to carry it around all evening.
Uh oh....

Ok, @pkondz maybe it took more than 2 or 3 bus rides to match you, but this is my third bus and I’m almost there. You suck.
:rotfl2: We REALLY need to figure out where @pkondz bus mojo comes from! I somehow suspect my transportation times are going to be closer to yours than his. :rotfl:

:rotfl: Missed out on that allusive VIP package eh?

Oh well, at least I got to see the inside of Trader Sam’s.

It really is a cool place.
sorry you couldn't enjoy a drink in there.

She was wrong.
:sad2: :headache:

Not to brag, but who needs to be a runner? I found out that I can speed walk from DHS to Boardwalk faster than somebody decked out in running shoes and looking like a marathoner can do it.
:thumbsup2

Yep, I’ve had a Yuengling before. We’re still looking for the answer!
Because you tried a different brand new to you beer later right?!?!?

Symphony in the Sky!
:jumping1: I knew it!

While we were talking, she told me she had to have her brother come over and fix our garage door because it fell on her car!
:eek:

I’m still not sure “fell on the car” means to her
:rotfl: glad it wasn't a big issue!

The server kind of gave him a sideways look and told him it is pink and has rose petals in it. He smiled at her and said he’s secure in his manhood.
:rotfl::thumbsup2

Sure enough, it was a pink drink and it did indeed have rose petals floating in it.
:rotfl::rotfl2:

Uh oh!

hat the heck… I had the sake flight.
NOOooooo! Darn!

I made my 4th walk on the trail
:jumping1: I knew it!

Thankfully, a Pop bus was sitting there and I walked right on without a wait!
:dancer:

but this was the absolute worst food I’ve ever had at Disney World. My burger was cold and the fries were cold and had clearly been sitting there for a while. It was just bad.
:earseek: Eeek! I hope you have better reports of the food later.

The cheesecake and Powerade at least hit the spot.
Well its hard to screw up prepackaged stuff! :rotfl:

2. 4 times walked between Boardwalk and DHS – 5 points
HAH! I knew it!

Gracefulskinny – for being right twice and finding a loophole
:rotfl::thumbsup2:cheer2:

jandlinz 71

SarahDisney 49

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes 46

Gracefulskinny 43
Hey I'm towards the top for the moment! Lets see if I can stay there!

POP because hopefully you gave them another shot and they were much better in the morning....

I would say a work issue but because you have it worth 20pts I'm going to guess that the answer isn't that obvious. :scratchin I'll swing out into left field and say a travel issue for your wife and daughter.

Harry Potter

3 times

Forbidden Journey

Chant a la brazillian tour group style

2cew

THe Hulk was closed for referb.

I don't think so. The last time I ate at Pop, I had a cheeseburger that was so bad, that I went and complained to the manager. My mom refuses to eat there anymore, because the meals have just been nasty. For our trip this month, she plans on walking over to Art anytime she wants to eat back at the resort.
:eek: Y'all are really making me nervous! :earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter