I am SO ANGRY. Just need to vent.

I hope you get all this resolved. What they did was wrong and I wouldn't be going back either !

I don't see where talking to the office staff or doctor is going to do anything.
You should have a state licensing board that licenses CNA's or medical assistants. In CA it's the Dept of Public Health. If you are unsure and can't find it, call one of the private schools that offer the 6 month course, they would be able to tell you.

I would also consider sending a copy to your state medical board as the doctor is responsible for their employees.

I would NOT be amused.

Complain to the office manager and your physician and find a new doctor. I doubt anyone MEANT to mislead you about your bloodwork, maybe someone else was supposed to get that message- YIKES!

I arrived at my doctors appointment this morning right on time for my 8am appointment. At check-in they informed me that they had to reschedule me to 3pm, but they forgot to call me. I told them this was not going to work for me since I work nights and have been UP ALL FREAKING NIGHT which is why I make my appointments first thing in the morning. They refused to see me. I said I was willing to wait and hour or so if necessary but that I could not come all the way back into the city. So I cancelled my appointment and told them to forget it. Came all the way home (40 minute drive). The MD's office had left me a voicemail on my answering machine (instead of calling my cell)saying she had to see me today about some "concerning bloodwork" and that we needed to discuss it in person. So I called back and they told me to come back. 40 minutes later I get back to the office, wait wait wait wait. Nothing at all concerning about my bloodwork. Dr said she has no idea why they would say that. Goes to talk to her assistants and comes back to tell me they were concerned I would not come back, so that is why they said that on the voicemail. I am breathing fire right now. First of all, it is not ok to leave that kind of message on a voicemail that does not have my name on it, HIPPA violation. What if I did not want my extended family or roomates etc to hear about any concerning bloodwork, if in fact it was not a lie. Second of all, what a disgusting thing for this office to do. I was nervous the whole ride back. I did not care for this doctor to begin with, will NOT be going back to see her again. I am so overtired I am sure that si not helping, but I am too angry to sleep!!!!!

I would be so pissed off there would be no words.

FILE A COMPLAINT!!!

I wish I would have filed a complaint on the former practice I was at in hindsight. What the office manager did was so wrong.:furious:

As a side note, I do not give out my home phone any longer to medical facilities due to the fact. We have also disabled the voice mail on the home phone. I lie and say I don't have a home phone # or if they are snarky I tell them they cannot have it.

Complain to the office manager and your physician and find a new doctor. I doubt anyone MEANT to mislead you about your bloodwork, maybe someone else was supposed to get that message- YIKES!

No, it was intentional. From the OP: "[The doctor] goes to talk to her assistants and comes back to tell me they were concerned I would not come back, so that is why they said that on the voicemail."

No, it was intentional. From the OP: "[The doctor] goes to talk to her assistants and comes back to tell me they were concerned I would not come back, so that is why they said that on the voicemail."

That is extremely unethical- I have a hard time believing that happened. I work in a doctor's office and we frequently have patients that don't think they need to follow up when they really need to. We document that they are acting AMA and we're done with it.

Edited to Add: I'm not saying the OP is lying, but I can't believe a secretary or medical assistant would do this without being instructed to. Just too much to lose, I would say this was a message relayed by the doctor.

Nothing new to add, I agree with all the PP who suggest filing complaints with insurance and whoeverelse will listen, but I do want to give you :hug:. So sorry you went through this, and I hope whatever you were seeing the doc for is all good now.

Without question, time to find a new doctor. There is no way I would want to go to an office that is that unethical and unprofessional. Rescheduling your appointment without speaking with you or getting in touch with you to tell you not to come in that morning is one thing. A misscommunication, a mistake. Fine, I could forgive that, but to then leave a message like that? :mad:

I would start writing letters and sending them to the doctor, the office manager and any other "higher up" in the office along with a copy to the medical board. I would also be all over the internet relaying my experience regarding this office so that others could avoid them. No one deserves to get a message like that. I can image the stress and worry you must have been under on your drive back.

I can't believe the office manager thinks you are lying about what was said on the message. Sounds like the employee that left it is lying to her and trying play CYA. Did you save the message? Are you going to play it for her?

I arrived at my doctors appointment this morning right on time for my 8am appointment. At check-in they informed me that they had to reschedule me to 3pm, but they forgot to call me. I told them this was not going to work for me since I work nights and have been UP ALL FREAKING NIGHT which is why I make my appointments first thing in the morning. They refused to see me. I said I was willing to wait and hour or so if necessary but that I could not come all the way back into the city. So I cancelled my appointment and told them to forget it. Came all the way home (40 minute drive). The MD's office had left me a voicemail on my answering machine (instead of calling my cell)saying she had to see me today about some "concerning bloodwork" and that we needed to discuss it in person. So I called back and they told me to come back. 40 minutes later I get back to the office, wait wait wait wait. Nothing at all concerning about my bloodwork. Dr said she has no idea why they would say that. Goes to talk to her assistants and comes back to tell me they were concerned I would not come back, so that is why they said that on the voicemail. I am breathing fire right now. First of all, it is not ok to leave that kind of message on a voicemail that does not have my name on it, HIPPA violation. What if I did not want my extended family or roomates etc to hear about any concerning bloodwork, if in fact it was not a lie. Second of all, what a disgusting thing for this office to do. I was nervous the whole ride back. I did not care for this doctor to begin with, will NOT be going back to see her again. I am so overtired I am sure that si not helping, but I am too angry to sleep!!!!!

Well I slept, had some food and you know what? Still angry. I did get a voicemail from an "office manager" asking if I still had the voicemail because the employee said that I was exaggerating and they want to hear the message. She also said that she had a copy of my form saying it was ok for them to leave info on my machine. Apparently she does not realize that I keep copies of everything I sign and I checked no. I am going to deal with it tomorrow. I will not be returning to this doctor.
First off ... I totally agree with your anger here. The office is being wholly unprofessional, and you need a new doctor.

Regarding the bolded, red items in the posts, though ... I'm wondering ... you were tired when you heard the message and I'm wondering if, instead of "concerning bloodwork" that needed to be discussed in person, the message actually meant "concerning some bloodwork" that needed to be discussed in person. I only mention that because "concerning bloodwork" can be read two different ways, depending on how the rest of the message is worded. And if you were already upset, mad and exhausted, it could have come across to you differently than the caller meant it.

Not defending the office in any way ... just sayin' ...

:earsboy:

Not to offend you - but - pick your battles.

You are right & correct in every way - they were wrong. Is this REALLY worth all the time & energy you are spending on it? Please take care of yourself & just move on. This isn't worth a heart attack, stroke, ulcer, or other health issue. :goodvibes

I hope you find a great doctor who really cares about you & has a great office staff. Many of us have left doctors because of poor attitudes by the doctor or his/her staff. Rest easy that you have made the correct decision to move on. :thumbsup2

Hello all! Spoke with the doctor this morning to discuss what happened. And for those of you that asked, I did not misunderstand the message. It said " concerning bloodwork" and you need to hear the tone. It makes you nervous. Anyway, turns out the girl who messed up the appointment AND left me that message is the Office Managers daughter. She is home from college on break and working there while home. So not only did she do it, but she then lied to her mother about what she said, and about the form I had checked NO on. She told her mom I checked YES and her mom did not actually look at it herself. The Office Managers message demanding to hear my voicemail was her being all momma bear I guess. I did let the doctor hear both of the messages. She really blew it off. The doctor said she is sorry I was upset but thinks I am really overreacting and claims the girl has learned her lesson. She said I was making a mountain out of a molehill. This made me quite angry all over again. I told her I had been up all night and had to make all these trips back and forth and was terribly worried about the bloodwork on my last trip back and really shouldn not have been driving with so little sleep. She still could not seem to grasp why I was upset. Either way, this was the final straw for this doctor I was not a huge fan to begin with. The privacy documents I signed do say how to file a complaint if you think your privacy or hippaa has been violated, but I don't think I am going to do that. I am going to leave reviews online though.

Not to offend you - but - pick your battles.

You are right & correct in every way - they were wrong. Is this REALLY worth all the time & energy you are spending on it? Please take care of yourself & just move on. This isn't worth a heart attack, stroke, ulcer, or other health issue. :goodvibes

I hope you find a great doctor who really cares about you & has a great office staff. Many of us have left doctors because of poor attitudes by the doctor or his/her staff. Rest easy that you have made the correct decision to move on. :thumbsup2

I was just so upset because I spent the whole ride back to the doctor trying to figure out how I was going to tell my husband if I am sick, he just found out his brother has cancer and he has been having a hard time with it. It was a scary drive there.

I was just so upset because I spent the whole ride back to the doctor trying to figure out how I was going to tell my husband if I am sick, he just found out his brother has cancer and he has been having a hard time with it. It was a scary drive there.

:hug:

I would speak to a Lawyer, not following your instructions and causing you distress should be worth a nasty letter or two

:hug: So glad this turned out to be nothing. My dr would have flipped out and the college student would have been let go and the mother severely reprimanded. But I love my dr. for a reason.

I would contemplate contacting the insurance company and let them know what happened. We had an issue with a new doctor and I called and reported it to the insurance company. The dr was very unprofessional. Not sure whatever happened between her and the insurance company but it made me feel better.

Hello all! Spoke with the doctor this morning to discuss what happened. And for those of you that asked, I did not misunderstand the message. It said " concerning bloodwork" and you need to hear the tone. It makes you nervous. Anyway, turns out the girl who messed up the appointment AND left me that message is the Office Managers daughter. She is home from college on break and working there while home. So not only did she do it, but she then lied to her mother about what she said, and about the form I had checked NO on. She told her mom I checked YES and her mom did not actually look at it herself. The Office Managers message demanding to hear my voicemail was her being all momma bear I guess. I did let the doctor hear both of the messages. She really blew it off. The doctor said she is sorry I was upset but thinks I am really overreacting and claims the girl has learned her lesson. She said I was making a mountain out of a molehill. This made me quite angry all over again. I told her I had been up all night and had to make all these trips back and forth and was terribly worried about the bloodwork on my last trip back and really shouldn not have been driving with so little sleep. She still could not seem to grasp why I was upset. Either way, this was the final straw for this doctor I was not a huge fan to begin with. The privacy documents I signed do say how to file a complaint if you think your privacy or hippaa has been violated, but I don't think I am going to do that. I am going to leave reviews online though.

Well, it appears that nobody in that practice gives a hoot about their patients...from the Office Manager, to her kid, to the doctor. Sorry this happened. I agree with you about leaving negative feedback where you can.

I would speak to a Lawyer, not following your instructions and causing you distress should be worth a nasty letter or two
I'm sorry, that seems a very strange response. A "nasty" letter is supposed to do what exactly? OP talked to the doctor, who still blew off the problem even after finding out their staff was WAY in the wrong.

Yes, I would leave feedback/word of mouth about what happened anywhere I could. Keep a copy of the voicemail and of the HIPPA sheet just in case the doctor tries to sue for defamation or something (doubtful).

I'm sorry, that seems a very strange response. A "nasty" letter is supposed to do what exactly? OP talked to the doctor, who still blew off the problem even after finding out their staff was WAY in the wrong.

Yes, I would leave feedback/word of mouth about what happened anywhere I could. Keep a copy of the voicemail and of the HIPPA sheet just in case the doctor tries to sue for defamation or something (doubtful).

My experience is that things are taken much more seriously when a legal professional is involved. As to what it will do is usuall put the fear of god in people when they realise you are taking things serioulsy and it may cost them money and inconvenience if they dont deal with it. I thought I was on an american board where the approach was to speak to a lawyer if you caught a cold.

My experience is that things are taken much more seriously when a legal professional is involved. As to what it will do is usuall put the fear of god in people when they realise you are taking things serioulsy and it may cost them money and inconvenience if they dont deal with it. I thought I was on an american board where the approach was to speak to a lawyer if you caught a cold.

That's a stereotype....there are probably more frivolous lawsuits here than in many countries, but it's by no means something everyone does.

A letter from a lawyer would imply that some legal action will be taken, and there's just nothing actionable here. The OP suffered lost sleep and unnecessary worry. This is the kind of thing that you leave a doctor's practice for, not something you sue over.

OP, what a poor response from the doctor. That's not anyone I'd be trusting to care for my or my family's health.

That's a stereotype....there are probably more frivolous lawsuits here than in many countries, but it's by no means something everyone does.

A letter from a lawyer would imply that some legal action will be taken, and there's just nothing actionable here. The OP suffered lost sleep and unnecessary worry. This is the kind of thing that you leave a doctor's practice for, not something you sue over.

OP, what a poor response from the doctor. That's not anyone I'd be trusting to care for my or my family's health.

The letter would cause them to lose sleep, good. They caused the OP distress and should not get off lightly. The girl lied about OP having signed a release. This is a biggie. Then they tell OP that she's over reacting after getting a voice mail telling her there was something wrong with her blood work. A lie told to her by the same girl. I'd be taking it further than the OP. I would not sue but I would make them squirm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter