• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I am SO ANGRY. Just need to vent.

dakcp2001

<font color=darkorchid>Am I wrong to want a cashie
I arrived at my doctors appointment this morning right on time for my 8am appointment. At check-in they informed me that they had to reschedule me to 3pm, but they forgot to call me. I told them this was not going to work for me since I work nights and have been UP ALL FREAKING NIGHT which is why I make my appointments first thing in the morning. They refused to see me. I said I was willing to wait and hour or so if necessary but that I could not come all the way back into the city. So I cancelled my appointment and told them to forget it. Came all the way home (40 minute drive). The MD's office had left me a voicemail on my answering machine (instead of calling my cell)saying she had to see me today about some "concerning bloodwork" and that we needed to discuss it in person. So I called back and they told me to come back. 40 minutes later I get back to the office, wait wait wait wait. Nothing at all concerning about my bloodwork. Dr said she has no idea why they would say that. Goes to talk to her assistants and comes back to tell me they were concerned I would not come back, so that is why they said that on the voicemail. I am breathing fire right now. First of all, it is not ok to leave that kind of message on a voicemail that does not have my name on it, HIPPA violation. What if I did not want my extended family or roomates etc to hear about any concerning bloodwork, if in fact it was not a lie. Second of all, what a disgusting thing for this office to do. I was nervous the whole ride back. I did not care for this doctor to begin with, will NOT be going back to see her again. I am so overtired I am sure that si not helping, but I am too angry to sleep!!!!!

I arrived at my doctors appointment this morning right on time for my 8am appointment. At check-in they informed me that they had to reschedule me to 3pm, but they forgot to call me. I told them this was not going to work for me since I work nights and have been UP ALL FREAKING NIGHT which is why I make my appointments first thing in the morning. They refused to see me. I said I was willing to wait and hour or so if necessary but that I could not come all the way back into the city. So I cancelled my appointment and told them to forget it. Came all the way home (40 minute drive). The MD's office had left me a voicemail on my answering machine (instead of calling my cell)saying she had to see me today about some "concerning bloodwork" and that we needed to discuss it in person. So I called back and they told me to come back. 40 minutes later I get back to the office, wait wait wait wait. Nothing at all concerning about my bloodwork. Dr said she has no idea why they would say that. Goes to talk to her assistants and comes back to tell me they were concerned I would not come back, so that is why they said that on the voicemail. I am breathing fire right now. First of all, it is not ok to leave that kind of message on a voicemail that does not have my name on it, HIPPA violation. What if I did not want my extended family or roomates etc to hear about any concerning bloodwork, if in fact it was not a lie. Second of all, what a disgusting thing for this office to do. I was nervous the whole ride back. I did not care for this doctor to begin with, will NOT be going back to see her again. I am so overtired I am sure that si not helping, but I am too angry to sleep!!!!!

If the practice is part of a large group, I'd be talking to the managing partner right now, and someone would be on their way to the unemployment line.

Wow. What a way NOT to run any business much less a medical practice. :sad2:Time to find a new doctor, and I'd even be tempted to write the doctor a note explaining why.

My husband has asked me to sleep on it before I cause a huge ruckus, but I am too angry to sleep. I am so angry. I have placed several calls already and have not gotten a single person to speak to me or call me back. GRRRRRRRRRR

My husband has asked me to sleep on it before I cause a huge ruckus, but I am too angry to sleep. I am so angry. I have placed several calls already and have not gotten a single person to speak to me or call me back. GRRRRRRRRRR
Your DH is probably right. There's really nothing to be gotten out of the practice (IMO), so waiting until you calm down can't hurt anything. I would find my favorite sleep aid and give it a shot. Otherwise, I'd be messed up going into work tonight.

Your husband is right, you need to calm down. Calling multiple times and talking with different people will not get you what you want.

You need to call when calm and talk to one person, maybe the office manager and explain why this upset you so. However if your doctor already knows it happened it is possible that you won't like what you are told.

Leaving that message isn't a HIPAA violation. They left a message on the phone number you gave them.

Oh my, I don't even know what to say, other than u absolutely every right to super upset! What they did was not ok!

Your husband is right, you need to calm down. Calling multiple times and talking with different people will not get you what you want.

You need to call when calm and talk to one person, maybe the office manager and explain why this upset you so. However if your doctor already knows it happened it is possible that you won't like what you are told.

Leaving that message isn't a HIPAA violation. They left a message on the phone number you gave them.

Actually they asked me to sign a paper saying if messages could be left on my voicemail, which I have a copy of in my hot little hand right now from my file, to which I answered NO. It says if no is checked then they will only leave a name and phone number for a call back.

I cant believe it! i'd be flaming mad right now! I would most definitely call the office again and indicate that if someone doesnt call you back promptly, that you will report them to the medical board, or the like. In Canada, we'd report them to the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Im not sure where it would be in the US. Oh i'd be so mad. :furious: Good luck!

Actually they asked me to sign a paper saying if messages could be left on my voicemail, which I have a copy of in my hot little hand right now from my file, to which I answered NO. It says if no is checked then they will only leave a name and phone number for a call back.

Well isnt that interesting. I do believe they have a HUGE problem on their hands!

Still not a HIPAA violation. However it does appear to be a violation of their policy.

You need to decide what you want to happen before you speak with anyone. Are you looking to have someone punished or fired? Do you want your concerns to be heard so that it doesn't happen again?

It sounds like it would be best if you start to look for another doctor. No matter how it turns out, I can't imagine it will be comfortable for you to go back there.

I work for a medical practice and if I left a message like that I would be immediately fired. We are not allowed to leave anything on an answering machine except a message to call back. Sometimes people are not ready to tell their family they have cancer or whatever they have, they need a little time to adjust to the news themselves. It shocked me at first, that sometimes people do not tell their kids or spouse right away, but it happens.

But then to leave a message that wasn't even TRUE?! Just to get you to come back...come back for what?!

I'd be mad too.

OMG! I am mad for you. :furious: That is completely unprofessional on all counts - from forgetting to call you to the message on the machine.

I would definitely be calling back until I was able to talk to someone, and I would be looking for a new doctor.

Heads would roll. I would take it as far as I could to make sure those people lost their jobs.

Heads would roll. I would take it as far as I could to make sure those people lost their jobs.
Are you entitled to know that though? If I was the doctor's office it would be "we don't discuss personnel matters with anyone".

Still not a HIPAA violation. However it does appear to be a violation of their policy.

You need to decide what you want to happen before you speak with anyone. Are you looking to have someone punished or fired? Do you want your concerns to be heard so that it doesn't happen again?

It sounds like it would be best if you start to look for another doctor. No matter how it turns out, I can't imagine it will be comfortable for you to go back there.

If a patient says they don't want *any* info left on a machine, it means you leave a name and number to call back. That is it.

So yeah, it is a violation of their policy and possibly HIPPA.

Are you entitled to know that though? If I was the doctor's office it would be "we don't discuss personnel matters with anyone".

I'd know if I went back and those people were no longer working.
Telling someone a lie saying the doctor needed to see them because of a problem with blood work is indefensible. Besides the OP said they were not allowed to contact her with medical news by telephone.

I'd know if I went back and those people were no longer working.
Telling someone a lie saying the doctor needed to see them because of a problem with blood work is indefensible. Besides the OP said they were not allowed to contact her with medical news by telephone.
1) I would never go back.
2) If you went back, you'd have to go back multiple times on different days, different hours, etc to know they weren't on vacation, running an errand, whatever.
3) I never tried to defend the actions of the staff.

I've got to agree, I don't know that mentioning "concerning bloodwork" on an answering machine message violates HIPAA. Yes, it violates their policy. That's not a law.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter