• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am NOT staying at a value resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen room service trays sit in the halls of the Contemporary for a week. As well as housekeeping carts which seem to never make their way back into a closet. I think I have gotten better service at Hampton Inns on the side of 95. So the deluxes definitely aren't the answer in a lot of ways. And they can be noisy. I stayed at Beach Club once and the person above me must have been going to the bathroom all night because I could hear the flushing all night long.

I've seen room service trays sit in the halls of the Contemporary for a week. As well as housekeeping carts which seem to never make their way back into a closet. I think I have gotten better service at Hampton Inns on the side of 95. So the deluxes definitely aren't the answer in a lot of ways. And they can be noisy. I stayed at Beach Club once and the person above me must have been going to the bathroom all night because I could hear the flushing all night long.

:scared: OOOps sorry bout that..........:sick: Bad Mexican food.:teeth:

J/K of course:stir:

I have stayed Deluxe Club Level and I have stayed at Pop. I love BOTH equally! Pop was super cute, and I loved the fun atmosphere. The food court was always good and since we stayed preferred pool view, the walk to the buses was very short, and we didn't have to share busses, either. I am one that is just happy to be at WDW, so I guess that could be why I don't mind where I am. But I would absolutely stay at Pop again with no problems.

Stay where you want! Tell your brother that you've made your plans, and that you'll be happy to meet up with him in the parks. Do not stay somewhere that will make you miserable. While my extended family tend to stay at the same resort now, our first trip years and years and years ago (as adults rather than kids with my parents), we stayed in different resorts...most of our party was staying at Swolphin, but I booked on WDW property because the other resort did nothing for me (and we were all happy with our choice).

I agree about the value resorts. They just don't do it for me. I'm not a fan of the over-the-top theming and the rooms look tiny (and I appreciate a larger, more luxurious room). I'm not a sunrise till midnight park person, either. My room is much more than just a place to sleep. However, I'm considering adding a night onto our summer vacation at a value because they do offer great value! Thinking we'll fly in the evening before we use our tickets. We can swim a little, get an early night's sleep, and hit the parks early the next morning.

Seems like in the first post you made up your mind.
Trying to convince you with positive experiences that I've had would be futile.
You stay where you want and they'll stay where they want.
Meet up at the park entrance in the morning.

I can only stand values for 2 nights - anymore than that, I can't take it unless it's one of the suites. I'd stay where you want and meet up with each other through the trip. Your Mom may even enjoy staying at a moderate or deluxe resort!

I have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts from value to deluxe, with dvc villas also thrown in for good meausure. I have enjoyed every experience and appreciated the unique vibe each resort brought to my vacation. However, I know what I can and can't live without. I think that's what OP needs to ask. Can you be happy staying in a small hotel room with double beds (arguably uncomfortable), exterior corridors, and no table service dining? If you answer yes, a value is a perfectly lovely, clean experience. If the answer is no, there you have it. There's no point being unhappy on vacation, and no shame in wanting certain amenities. If you are looking for something beyond what a value can provide, choose a resort that more closely meets your needs and desires.

Ok, I have to defend the values a bit here. The loudest resorts I have been at are a moderate and a deluxe--The Beach Club (the hallway noise was bad) and CSR (we had very loud neighbors). But loud people can happen at any resort. It is definitely NOT a value "thing". And while the food courts may be busy, at least they have decent ones. Decent quick service food at the deluxe resorts is hard to come by. And the food courts at the moderates are just as busy as those at the values, in my experience.

I'm a huge fan of the value food courts. I crave the Italian sandwich at the All Star Music.:p
Agree with you! The whole Values have paper thin walls makes me crazy! We had paper thin walls at BWV and BCV and could hear every little toilet flush and conversation in the next rooms, AKL too down the halls. I can never understand those who believe that Deluxes are sooo quiet and they hear nothing! I Love value resorts too!

I'd stay offsite or stay home before I'd stay at a Disney value again. No judgement from me. I love Cabana Bay at Universal, but the Disney values are like a 120.00 a night motel 6. I say if you can afford it book what you want. Being miserable on a vacation is a waste of money.

Totally disagree with you who think the Values are Motel 6s. Have any of you ever stayed at a Motel 6? They are not even close.

It is fine if the values are not your thing. They aren't for everyone. And going by the OP's post I doubt they are for her. But they are much nicer than a Motel 6.
LOL my ex wouldn't stay anywhere other than a Motel 6, so yeah, I've done it. tToo many times. Didn't like it, though. While I agree that a value at Disney is nicer in some respects (food court, pool, gift shop) I still get the Motel 6 vibe when I look at the actual rooms/buildings.

The only real drawback to not having everyone stay at the same resort is you can't all swim together. That's it. You can visit them at their resort, they can visit you at yours, you can meet up at a resort or at the parks, and sometimes (at least in our family) a little distance makes the vacation go a little better :flower3:. No one should have to stay at a resort they can't afford just to please family, and no one should have to sacrifice the amenities that make their vacation a real vacation just to please family. Stay where you like, and let them stay where they like, and then just meet up to do things together.

I have stayed at all levels of resort, and I've had good trips at all of them. In fact, if I were to think back at the trips where things did go a little pear shaped, they were all at deluxe resorts. I've had drunk guests yelling from one end of the hall to the other in the middle of the night, kids playing in the hall by bouncing a ball off my door, bags of trash left by housekeeping in the middle of the floor . . .all at deluxe resorts. So far (knocking on wood) I haven't had any issues like that at mods or values.

I've had drunk guests yelling from one end of the hall to the other in the middle of the night, kids playing in the hall by bouncing a ball off my door, bags of trash left by housekeeping in the middle of the floor . . .all at deluxe resorts. So far (knocking on wood) I haven't had any issues like that at mods or values.
You're lucky if you've only had those issues at deluxe resorts. I LOVE POR, but my last stay there, I had the police (as in many of them) hanging out on the walkway above my room (I was first floor river view) as they checked into an issue upstairs on night. Nothing says 'magic' like coming back to your room after dinner to find a slew of cops swarming around with a cop car on the path.

Stuff like that can happen at any WDW resort. So keep that in mind and find a resort whose amenities are such that you won't mind distractions by drunk guests or loud kids...or cops.

I stayed 7 nights GF CL main building in the middle of Dec. It was the most amazing thing ever...except for the family on the other side of the connecting door that came back at midnight with a 2 year old that had been out too late and screamed and screamed and screamed and screamed!!! We had been at a park all day and were exhausted too! Called the front desk and they said they couldn't do anything. Well we got up early the next morning and PAID IT FORWARD! I normally don't stoop to that classless level, but it worked and they were quiet not a peep the rest of the time.

Just saying that you can hear rude people in any type of hotel. I don't stay value because I like a full service hotel with the hallways indoors. But everyone has different likes and dislikes. It's your vacation stay where you will be happy!

Last edited:
You're lucky if you've only had those issues at deluxe resorts. I LOVE POR, but my last stay there, I had the police (as in many of them) hanging out on the walkway above my room (I was first floor river view) as they checked into an issue upstairs. Nothing says 'magic' like coming back to your room after dinner to find a slew of cops swarming around with a cop car on the path.

Stuff like that can happen at any WDW resort. So keep that in mind and find a resort whose amenities are such that you won't mind distractions by drunk guests or loud kids...or cops.

I don't doubt that things happen at mods and values - I just don't have any first hand experience there. My issues have all been at deluxe resorts. I think sometimes the values get a raw deal as far as reputation when it comes to noise or disruptive guests, and as you say, that can happen anywhere, even at a Disney deluxe or a five star hotel. I can understand people not wanting to stay at a value due to room size or wanting certain amenities. But crowds, noise and disruption can happen at any resort.

I bet the police event was a sight to see! :scared: :duck:

I've stayed at values and I've stayed at moderates. Never stayed at a deluxe because I have common sense not to spend *that much* for a room I am hardly ever in.
With that said, I prefer the values. Transportation is simpler and usually closer than the moderates.
The per night cost is manageable, even when booking a preferred room to be closer to the food court and busses.
The theming is nice and makes me feel like I am at Disney.
The mods are themed nice, but I don't get that Disney feel. It feels more like a courtyard or similar.

I've grown to love Pop Century. To me, it feels like home.
The rooms are clean and comfortable, the food court has a wide variety to choose from, the gift shop is nice.
I love that Pop doesn't share busses with other resorts, and I've never had to wait for a second bus to get to the park.

As others have said, stay where you want to stay. Don't let anyone sway you from doing what YOU want.

I stayed 7 nights GF CL main building in the middle of Dec. It was the most amazing thing ever...except for the family on the other side of the connecting door that came back at midnight with a 2 year old that had been out too late and screamed and screamed and screamed and screamed!!! We had been at a park all day and were exhausted too! Called the front desk and they said they couldn't do anything. Well we got up early the next morning and PAID IT FORWARD! I normally don't stop to that classless level, but it worked and they were quiet not a peep the rest of the time.

As a nurse and mom of 4 kids, I know that sometimes there isn't much that can be done about a screaming 2 year old (especially if they are sick or in pain). I'm guessing they weren't too thrilled about it either and weren't purposely being rude or inconsiderate.

As to the OP, I loved our Value resort. It was extremely quiet where we stayed and immaculate. Couldn't have asked for better housekeeping or an overall experience. And I AM very picky about hotels. You could not pay me to stay at a Motel 6.

Haha. I completely agree. We've stayed at all of the values on property. Early on it was out of necessity (newlyweds with one still in grad school so very little cash for upgrades) and lately it was because our daughter REALLY wanted to stay in a couple. However, I don't like them and feel like there is a huge jump from value to moderate simply due to the things I value in a resort. Now, I'm going to say something that will likely cause controversy and many will not like. Everyone has been warned. Ready? While I do get the Motel 6 vibe from the values, I also get it when I'm at Port Orleans French Quarter. It reminds me of a Motel 6 that had the Mardi Gras section of Dollar General thrown all over it.
I have to say I agree. I always thought it was because I love New Orleans and have been there several times, and you can't really create that vibe. It's very special, and POFQ just doesn't come close.

I've stayed at a value only once. It was the Pop Century, because that's where they were housing everyone for my cousin's wrestling tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports. We got a nice room discount, being there for the event. However, for the same price, you could find very decent off-site accommodations.

The resort itself was noisy and chaotic. The enormous main pool, food court, and grounds were just overrun by a sea of people. Definitely not a relaxing environment. I've read that one of the main reasons the Pop Century was built was to house the kids competing at ESPN and (of course) to add value hotel capacity.

It is definitely a Motel 6 vibe with purposefully obnoxious architecture -- in my opinion to discourage moderate/deluxe guests from trading down.

I didn't sweat it too much because I was really there with my family and it was convenient to be with them. And to be honest, the food and service were decent and the bus stops still ran efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter