Husband lost job...

love__goofy

Mouseketeer
Unfortunately, my husband lost his job this past week. While he is applying and searching for a job, does anyone have any ideas as side jobs during the interim to ease the blow? This weekend he rented an aerator and was able to do a few lawns, but we are a bit late in the season for that.

Any and all ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Is he qualified to be a substitute teacher?

He certainly could be, but in our county you have to go through a 4 week online course before you can even apply. So that might be 6 weeks before he can even begin work. It certainly wouldn’t hurt for him to at least take the course just Incase he still doesn’t have work though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Could research driving for Uber or Lyft. Don’t expect to make a lot of money and don’t do it if you don’t want to put a bunch of miles on your car.

Unfortunately, my husband lost his job this past week. While he is applying and searching for a job, does anyone have any ideas as side jobs during the interim to ease the blow? This weekend he rented an aerator and was able to do a few lawns, but we are a bit late in the season for that.

Any and all ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

What work is he looking for and what work was he doing? We have help wanted signs everywhere for minimum and minimum+ wage jobs, but they might not be what's desired...

He certainly could be, but in our county you have to go through a 4 week online course before you can even apply. So that might be 6 weeks before he can even begin work. It certainly wouldn’t hurt for him to at least take the course just Incase he still doesn’t have work though.

Don't overlook private or independent districts. They might have a different process.

What about the next county over?

Could research driving for Uber or Lyft. Don’t expect to make a lot of money and don’t do it if you don’t want to put a bunch of miles on your car.

That’s a good idea! I’ll have him check into that.

Do you have anything you could sell on eBay? Check your garage, closets, etc. for stuff you no longer need. If you have a thrift store near you, look for items that would be good for resale.

He was in management and sales.

So, he's gonna get 6 months of unemployment while he looks, right?

If it were me, I'd probably be the one to take on the "extra" jobs so it wouldn't affect the unemployment pull and it would make sure my spouse could be 100% focused on landing his next job. I'd probably look to pick up some daycare or senior care jobs, especially since a bunch of holidays are coming. Also, I'd probably work the elections (around here, I think you get $175 for the day)...

You had mentioned it might be late in the season for lawn work. What about getting ready for snow (plowing/shoveling) if your region gets it?

Look into being an online shopper for a company like Shipt or Instacart (if those are available in your area).

Uber Eats or Grub Hub is an option if he doesn't want to drive people around. This is delivering food.

Many large retailers are hiring seasonal help right now like Target.

Is there an Amazon fulfilment warehouse near you? These are usually hiring and the pay is good and most people get full time hours.

Is he handy? Some will be getting home projects done before the holidays. Are you in an area that has the Next Door app? It's a good place to advertise services available. I have also seen people looking for employment get some good local leads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter