Hurricane Sandy and East Coast - anyone preparing yet?

Good question. I can't wait for the reaction from the environmental crowd when the plans are announced to pump all that PCB/gasoline/oil/asbestos/e-coli (and a bunch of other stuff that isn't proper to mention here) laden subway effluent into the East River.
;)

Anytime that you have seawater trapped indoors, that is classified as "black water" -- the same category as raw sewage. If it is handled properly it will be removed by truck or temporary pipeline and sent to a water treatment plant before it goes into the river -- however, I'm not taking any bets that the MTA will routinely follow that procedure.

After Katrina the vast majority of blackwater that was in buildings after the water in the streets receded ended up going more or less straight into Lake Ponchartrain because it was simply pumped out into the street and went into the storm drain system that empties into the canals.

I'm in nj and have no water or power. I just heard they are saying by next Wednesday. That is another6 days of this. :sad1: it's cold and stinky in here.

But we are all alive and together. So many suffered far worse than we did. Our thoughts are with those that are suffering.

Gas lines put here are about 30 minutes long. Not terrible. I had a full tank when the hurricane started but by now. I needed to fill up. The best tip of having cash on hand is a lifesaver as everyplace is cash only.

Hoping to get power back sooner vs later. I want to flush again!

My father-in-law's home has been flooded out 2 times now in 1 year. Irene & Sandy. So much for 100 year flood zone. He is done. Will repair & its up for sale.

I know about the gas shortage. The power outages. The transportation situation & walking to work.

What about the food situation? Don't NYC people tend to shop almost daily for groceries since they don't have cars to bring home weeks worth of food & supplies? Are these little local corner markets open? Do they have food?

Worried about the cold weather coming.

My father-in-law is in a hotel again. The hotel also doesn't have power but at least it isn't flooded like his house. His house is elevated too due to flood regulations. Hasn't helped much. They need to evaluate those flood maps. they are out of date.

He lived in a Residence Inn from Aug to March while he rebuilt. Only back in his home a few months before it happened again. He's too old to be doing this in his retirement.

Queens still dark in spots, Gas ain't around but they opened back up the waterways so hopefully it will get here by truck or boat soon.

Hoping to get power back soon, but really my area of Queens has above ground lines and less dense populstion wise so I am sure we are on the back end of he emergency line.

F train is just that but running and was less chaotic than the day before. Didn't need the razor which was a major letdown.
I might use tomorrow though because wife drove me to F and gas is sketchy.

I meant it as punkin interpreted it, not as it's pretty much back to normal all over (thanks punkin). Though, as I and punkin noted, in some areas (the majority of the island), it has never not been normal. Above the 39thish line, no one lost power and there hasn't been any issue except the transportation (though cabs were plentiful) one originally.

As I said, in some areas, there's a huge mess. However, we're working on it. New York City is really not a dystopian nightmare, heh.

The Daily Mail is a joke of a tabloid.

The high price of the tolls is absolutely intended to dissuade people from driving into the City - that's why the NJ toll only runs one way. Sure, tolls help pay for infrastructure, and do other things.

Yes, we simply must keep the riff-raff from NJ out!

I'm just shaking my head... tolls are high to maintain the infrastructure, and to pay the people who have to work on and in these facilities.

Tolls are only collected one way because if you are commuting IN, they assume you are going back out, and if you live in NYC and are commuting out, they assume you will be back.

Tolls are only collected one way to avoid the ridiculous bottleneck that would occurs at the toll plaza going in both directions.

Like the pre-storm warning were all hype, every news outlet in the free world is exaggerating the situation in NYC.

What about the food situation? Don't NYC people tend to shop almost daily for groceries since they don't have cars to bring home weeks worth of food & supplies? Are these little local corner markets open? Do they have food?

As a prior poster noted, in the lower east side of so-called "back to normal" Manhattan there is stilll flooding, the power is still out and all stores are closed. The residents there are so desperate for food that a bunch of them forced open a large dumpster of spoiled items a supermarket has thrown out and scaveneged through it. Video here:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Sandy-Starved-New-Yorkers-Dumpster-Dive/176839571

Yep, the media is "exaggerating the situation in NYC." :rolleyes1

Yes, we simply must keep the riff-raff from NJ out!

I'm just shaking my head... tolls are high to maintain the infrastructure, and to pay the people who have to work on and in these facilities.

Tolls are only collected one way because if you are commuting IN, they assume you are going back out, and if you live in NYC and are commuting out, they assume you will be back.

Tolls are only collected one way to avoid the ridiculous bottleneck that would occurs at the toll plaza going in both directions.

Like the pre-storm warning were all hype, every news outlet in the free world is exaggerating the situation in NYC.

Shut up with your logic. That has no place here.

I meant it as punkin interpreted it, not as it's pretty much back to normal all over (thanks punkin). Though, as I and punkin noted, in some areas (the majority of the island), it has never not been normal. Above the 39thish line, no one lost power and there hasn't been any issue except the transportation (though cabs were plentiful) one originally.

As I said, in some areas, there's a huge mess. However, we're working on it. New York City is really not a dystopian nightmare, heh.

The Daily Mail is a joke of a tabloid.

The high price of the tolls is absolutely intended to dissuade people from driving into the City - that's why the NJ toll only runs one way. Sure, tolls help pay for infrastructure, and do other things.

Curious you say "we're working on it." Are you involved in some way?

I look at the pictures and try to imagine how things will every be able to go back to normal for those that live in the devastated areas...and then realize that for a lot they will not go back to the old "normal" but will have a new one. I see entire neighborhoods that look like they are now part of the ocean and think those were most likely blocks away and now they are IN the ocean..that water will not recede...the land that was there is now gone! Do they rebuild the coast line so people can still live there or do those people whose homes are now in the ocean move somewhere else?
I couldn't imagine even dealing with a disaster of this magnitude..I mean, where do you begin?

I'm not sure what they'll do. In some areas the land may return on its own when ocean currents shift. Most of the sand that was washed ashore must be cleaned and checked for contaminants before it can be dumped back on the beach.

After the 1944 hurricane and the 1962 nor'easter ate away large chunks of land, some areas were not rebuilt. (Avalon, NJ now begins at 6th Street and Longport, NJ at perhaps 11th Street). But people's whose property was washed away still technically owned the land in the ocean and were supposed to continue paying mortgages and property taxes. Most owners let banks foreclose or allowed the towns to condemn their land.

No doubt there will be plenty of debate on how to rebuild or whether it should even be rebuilt.

I do not know, Nancy. And right now, don't we all feel so helpless. Owners can't even go back home to figure out where to start and most of us are so far away, we can't help do a thing. Give $ to help, pray for everyone and otherwise just helpless.

Here's another video on LBI, it is pictures set to music and will rip your heart out. This is just one area--up and down the coast and inland, more of the same & some worse.

http://vimeo.com/52525649

Thanks for the slideshow video. I recognized many of the scenes. But it doesn't look as bad as I feared. About 95% of the homes look like they can be salvaged and repaired. It will take plenty of time and work. The ones that appear beyond repair look like pre-1962 homes that weren't on pilings.

It's very sad and might be overwhelming for some. But based on everything I've seen so far, I'm cautiously optimistic that my home is relatively OK.

I have no idea when I'll be able to visit. There's talk that residents will be allowed on the island starting next week, section by section, accompanied by authorities, for a short period to assess damage and gather any important papers, medicines, small valuables or momentos, etc.

Jim

I'm not sure what they'll do. In some areas the land may return on its own when ocean currents shift. Most of the sand that was washed ashore must be cleaned and checked for contaminants before it can be dumped back on the beach.

After the 1944 hurricane and the 1962 nor'easter ate away large chunks of land, some areas were not rebuilt. (Avalon, NJ now begins at 6th Street and Longport, NJ at perhaps 11th Street). But people's whose property was washed away still technically owned the land in the ocean and were supposed to continue paying mortgages and property taxes. Most owners let banks foreclose or allowed the towns to condemn their land.

No doubt there will be plenty of debate on how to rebuild or whether it should even be rebuilt.

Thanks for the slideshow video. I recognized many of the scenes. But it doesn't look as bad as I feared. About 95% of the homes look like they can be salvaged and repaired. It will take plenty of time and work. The ones that appear beyond repair look like pre-1962 homes that weren't on pilings.

It's very sad and might be overwhelming for some. But based on everything I've seen so far, I'm cautiously optimistic that my home is relatively OK.

I have no idea when I'll be able to visit. There's talk that residents will be allowed on the island starting next week, section by section, accompanied by authorities, for a short period to assess damage and gather any important papers, medicines, small valuables or momentos, etc.

Jim

Jim, not sure if you have seen this but it might help you see if your house is OK from the air. http://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/sandy/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter