Hurricane Sandy and East Coast - anyone preparing yet?

:( The destruction is overwhelming to watch. The pets, the homeless, it's just so sad. Sending good vibes to those in the storm's path.

Here in South East Virginia the we had some flooding and no school tomorrow (or today). The winds weren't bad, but now they are picking up and we're getting some good gusts. Nothing like they are having up North though I'm sure.
All of you are in our thoughts!

Same area here. I know there was some major flooding in parts of Hampton, Poquoson, and Buckroe but my area is fairly calm. Burrrrr!!!! When I went into work this morning (I'm a nurse so no time off for weather) it was in the 60s and when I left it was in the low 40s! Crazy! We still have power as of now.

Stay safe everyone! Yall are in my thoughts.

NEPA about 2 hours north of Philly in Schuylkill Co.. its VERY VERY windy here... just waiting for the power to go out now... My house is shaking with every major wind gust.

We just found out they're evacuating some areas about 30 minutes away from us in Fairfax, VA. We still have power, and things aren't too bad here right now.

The winds here are just nuts. I was out hours ago and there was an alternate side sign down, trash cans tossed around (for Irene, the city went around and turned them all over, this time they didn't do anything and hence rolling into the street until a passerby grabbed it), newspaper boxes tossed around, nuts.

That is so scary. How are they going to get out?

Firefighters will go get them. That's what they do - that's the city version of the proverbial cat in a tree. I've heard firefighters going by off and on so they'll get to 'em.

The lights just flickered here. :scared1:

Burl. Co. NJ here. Freight train-type winds are very freaky. They're supposed to end by midnight and that time CANNOT come soon enough!!! Still have power but 75% of my town has lost their power. We are very lucky. Hang in there everyone!:thumbsup2

Lights are flickering a bit here in Queens, but thank goodness we still have power right now. My roommate and I have been parked in front of the tv all day watching movies and eating.

The winds here are just nuts. I was out hours ago and there was an alternate side sign down, trash cans tossed around (for Irene, the city went around and turned them all over, this time they didn't do anything and hence rolling into the street until a passerby grabbed it), newspaper boxes tossed around, nuts.

Firefighters will go get them. That's what they do - that's the city version of the proverbial cat in a tree. I've heard firefighters going by off and on so they'll get to 'em.

The lights just flickered here. :scared1:

They are out, I'm assuming fire department rescued but don't have a lot of details since they are trying to save the cell phone batteries...but now sitting in an apartment with no power, heat or hot water. Not fun but better than being stuck in a very small elevator.

They are out, I'm assuming fire department rescued but don't have a lot of details since they are trying to save the cell phone batteries...but now sitting in an apartment with no power, heat or hot water. Not fun but better than being stuck in a very small elevator.

I have several friends in Stuy Town, their heat and hot water was turned off yesterday and they lost power tonight after a transformer blew at Con Ed. There were cars floating down Ave C earlier, not sure if the water has gone down by now. Hopefully the power will be back on tomorrow but I think it may take a little longer unfortunately.

Lehigh Valley here. No power, very very strong winds.

Praying for everyone in the storms path.

How is Ellicott City fairing?

We're in Ellicott City, Maryland. We're having lots of rain and very high winds but no power outages yet. Nothing as bad as what we've seen in New Jersey or the coastal towns in Maryland, Delaware or New Jersey. This is supposed to continue until 3am so it ain't over yet unfortunately!

I have several friends in Stuy Town, their heat and hot water was turned off yesterday and they lost power tonight after a transformer blew at Con Ed. There were cars floating down Ave C earlier, not sure if the water has gone down by now. Hopefully the power will be back on tomorrow but I think it may take a little longer unfortunately.

I was thinking about Stuy/PCV earlier when the ConEd guy was talking about preemptive shutoffs, cause the station is right there .... bleh. Hope they're doing ok.

Not sure what you're watching, but there's someone standing around on Vessey, where there's also water, on the news (4), and it's been receeding rapidly there, but then they had a shot of flooding by like 25th I think they said. It's nuts.

Chuck just said pretty much everyone south of 39th is w/o power atm.

My daughter-in-law's family is out in Southampton NY and she's been keeping in touch with them all day. And she and my son are moving there in the Spring! Guess I'll get to worry about them for another reason then.

Stay safe friends. Prayers for everyone out there.

I live 7 min from the beach in southern NJ. It was bad here. Horrible wind and rain, lost power. But the islands are horrible!!!!! So much flooding it's crazy!! Piers have washed away and some sections of boardwalk. I can only imagine the damage to the homes! So sad!!

Lots of power outages here in NE Ohio. We are still powered here (a bit west of Cleveland but only a couple blocks from the lake),
but don't think it will last until morning. A man who was measuring wind,
who happens to live on the lake said it was steady 60 mile/hr wind and gusts up to 75 mph here.

FINALLY, the area is taking this seriously and cancelled school and airport flights.

Keep hearing big bumps outside, but I'm NOT going out to check anything. :scared1:

I am continuing my prayers and good thoughts :love:for all of you on the east coast
and special prayers to the person who now has a shark swimming in their front yard. WOW!:eek:

DD lost power several hours ago, so will try and see if I can get there in the a.m. She was not prepared at ALL for any of this!:mad::(

I was thinking about Stuy/PCV earlier when the ConEd guy was talking about preemptive shutoffs, cause the station is right there .... bleh. Hope they're doing ok.

Not sure what you're watching, but there's someone standing around on Vessey, where there's also water, on the news (4), and it's been receeding rapidly there, but then they had a shot of flooding by like 25th I think they said. It's nuts.

Chuck just said pretty much everyone south of 39th is w/o power atm.

Stuy. Town is where they were stuck in the elevator. I saw a picture of PCV all dark.

Stuy. Town is where they were stuck in the elevator. I saw a picture of PCV all dark.

Ah, probably lucky it was there actually. Firefighters are well familiar, it's not like a building they've not dealt with before.

Letterman is doing a show without an audience. Funny, I'd thought of going over there before but figured everyone else would have the same idea, like in a snowstorm. Wonder how many people showed up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter