Hurricane Irma?

Anyone renting a house/villa offsite in the Davenport area? Or anyone on here in that area and know the conditions? My family is set to depart Thursday AM from CT.

For those of us wondering/worrying about flights - nothing from MCO yet, but I saw Palm Beach is operating again starting this afternoon (and I think they may be the only airport in the state to announce anything). I'm very cautiously optimistic.

Nice to know that damage was minimal. I stopped being excited for our upcoming trip because I didn't want to be let down again lol. However things seem to be looking up and all set to fly in Thursday ?!
We're supposed to arrive Thursday as well. I'm watching for updates from MCO this morning. Hoping there's no issues with rerouting aircraft etc. My gut feeling is that they will get things moving as soon as possible. There is a good chunk of folks who are ready to get home and fly out.

We are set to drive there Friday morning from the Panhandle, do you think things will good enough to enjoy or vacation? I am definitely worried about driving there with the gas situation and traffic from people come back home but I would imagine things would be getting better asap

We are set to drive there Friday morning from the Panhandle, do you think things will good enough to enjoy or vacation? I am definitely worried about driving there with the gas situation and traffic from people come back home but I would imagine things would be getting better asap
I can't speak for the parks but if the rest of Florida looks anything like Jax then I would say the roads are going to be iffy at best.

Anyone renting a house/villa offsite in the Davenport area? Or anyone on here in that area and know the conditions? My family is set to depart Thursday AM from CT.

My parents live in Davenport, even though I said Orlando in a previous post. (it's just easier to say Orlando, since most people don't know where Davenport is)
They report that they have no power, but don't know about the rest of the area. Their community came through the storm, but the people in the front office haven't been able to get out and assess the damage yet. They guess the power will be back on within a few days. My parents evacuated and are still in Gulfport. They plan on staying until power is restored.

WLKY in Louisville just posted the following ... while it's far from official, it gives airport re-opening times.

MIAMI INT'L AIRPORT... closed..... limited schedule on Tuesday

ORLANDO INT'L AIRPORT....closed....will reopen Tuesday at noon

NAPLES MUNICIPAL AIRPORT.... closed until Thursday

DAYTONA BEACH INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen at 6:00 PM today

FORT LAUDERDALE INT'L AIRPORT.... will reopen noon on Tuesday

JACKSONVILLE INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen noon on Tuesday

MELBOURNE INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen Tuesday evening

KEY WEST INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen on Friday

PALM BEACH AIRPORT..... will reopen late today

TAMPA INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen today at 6:00 PM

WLKY in Louisville just posted the following ... while it's far from official, it gives airport re-opening times.

MIAMI INT'L AIRPORT... closed..... limited schedule on Tuesday

ORLANDO INT'L AIRPORT....closed....will reopen Tuesday at noon

NAPLES MUNICIPAL AIRPORT.... closed until Thursday

DAYTONA BEACH INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen at 6:00 PM today

FORT LAUDERDALE INT'L AIRPORT.... will reopen noon on Tuesday

JACKSONVILLE INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen noon on Tuesday

MELBOURNE INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen Tuesday evening

KEY WEST INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen on Friday

PALM BEACH AIRPORT..... will reopen late today

TAMPA INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen today at 6:00 PM
Jacksonville is just getting the storm now. I wouldn't be so sure they will be fully operational tomorrow.

For those of us wondering/worrying about flights - nothing from MCO yet, but I saw Palm Beach is operating again starting this afternoon (and I think they may be the only airport in the state to announce anything). I'm very cautiously optimistic.

Per WFTV in Orlando, MCO has asked people to stay away until further notice while they assess damage. Noon opening tomorrow is probably the best to hope for.

I don't disagree. Just passing along what the news here is reporting .... I think it's odd they're already releasing times, but the info had to come from somewhere?
Jacksonville is just getting the storm now. I wouldn't be so sure they will be fully operational tomorrow.

Not sure if this was mentioned before or not & didn't want to read everything. Regarding all the dogs/pets in the resorts. A CM told me yesterday that after Hurricane Katrina a law was passed stating that all hotels had to accept pets during a hurricane. I didn't know this but was glad to hear it. I'm sure once they check out Disney will have to throughly clean (not just vacuum) the carpets, etc.

Since yesterday we have been following this live stream from Channel 9 in Orlando:

http://www.wftv.com/watch-live

They have continuous coverage with frequent remote reports from people in the field showing damage.

They just had an Orange County official on who said the damage is worse than Charley and significantly worse than they anticipated yesterday because the storm went further east than had been projected Sunday morning.

Orange and Osceola Counties are still under a curfew until 6 PM today so emergency crews can be out to assess damage and begin clean up.

Last edited:
Good morning! That was a loooong night!

We have no power, and the road behind our house had power lines and trees down. Our four east facing windows all let in water some time last night, and we lost part of our guttering, but the damage seems minimal. The rest of the neighborhood just seem to have trees down everywhere. No one I know has power, so I think it will take a while for everything to get up and running. The wind and rain here is still pretty strong.

DH had the night from hell at the resort he was at. Trees down, fire alarms, multiple guests calling from outer buildings with water leaking through the roof. He was trying to move people at 2am as the wind and rain was so bad he said he couldn't see two feet in front of him. He got three hours sleep on the floor of a front office, now he's out assessing the damage. He can't come home until curfew lifts at 6pm. He says a number of rooms have water damage, but structurally, the buildings did fine.

Has anyone found a reliable, accurate, low-drama source for updates on post-storm assessments? Or when they plan to begin them? Not just Disney-any Florida or Orlando centric updates are welcomed.

I've. been Listening to Fox 13 Tampa since Friday.

Not sure if this was mentioned before or not & didn't want to read everything. Regarding all the dogs/pets in the resorts. A CM told me yesterday that after Hurricane Katrina a law was passed stating that all hotels had to accept pets during a hurricane. I didn't know this but was glad to hear it. I'm sure once they check out Disney will have to throughly clean (not just vacuum) the carpets, etc.
False. This is not true and popular myth. SHELTERS are now required to accept (most) pets and hotels are ENCOURAGED to accept.
https://www.fema.gov/hurricane-irma-rumor-control

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter