Hurricane Irma?

Hurricane-Categories.jpg

Both 4 and 5 are Catastrophic. The only difference between the two seems to be "severe damage" vs "destroyed" and "collapse."

Just checked my daughters phone. Mobile or desktop no option for chat. But that might be an availabilty thing I have never tried to do that on phone before.

So orginally I was planned to arrive the 10th & 2 days ago I called to reschedule to arrive the 14th. I was thinking that would be fine because at that point the hurricane was leaning towards going east. Now I'm really second guessing that decision especially because we will be driving from Michigan next Wednesday. The way the storm is updating its looking like that is not going to be possible.DH says if these dates don't work then I need to cancel the trip all together he doesn't want me to reschedule for end of September. But of course he hasn't spend the last 2 years saving & planning this trip..super stressed out. Ugh sorry I had to vent somewhere & I know these problems are so very petty and small compared to what other people are going through..
ThIs is us too. We're checking in the 15th and driving from NY. We were supposed to be leaving this evening at 6:30 to start our drive down to check in on the 11th finally rescheduled last night at 2:30 AM to come in on the 15th the guy I talk to you was very accommodating and said if we still couldn't make it down to just call and reschedule again with no problem we did kid to keep our free dining etc. and he said they would do everything they could to accommodate us whatever our decision. We are going to leave on Tuesday evening to make sure we have plenty of time to get there and we are going to see how it goes if we get down to Georgia and find no gas or open roads to Orlando we'll head home and reschedule. We will be driving an RV so that makes it a little more comfortable for us to do that we can camp all along the way. I have been trying to recover as many ADRs and fast passes as close as possible to our previous plans it's not going so good but we will be there and enjoy food and wine and it will be amazing

We are at Disney now and haven't heard any news just yet. One CM mentioned Sunday and Monday closing. Since we paid for park tickets for those days, will we get a rback fund or to use them next year?

If you call and ask after they announce the closures you might. I called last year while sitting in the resort doing nothing once we heard MNSSHP had been cancelled. I called to inquire about a refund on the party tickets, as well as the day we missed. I didn't expect to get refunded for the day we missed, especially since it wasn't much as we had 9 day tickets, but they did refunded the unused day due to park closure. I remember the lady telling me she did not know if it would be refunded, but it would not hurt to submit it and see. The credit showed up on my bill.

As far as people not seeing their cancellations on MDE, I would not worry about it. Last year I think it took them a month to get through all the Matthew stuff. I remember they said it could take 2 billing cycles for the refunds to show up on your credit card statement as they had so many to process. If you have any charges that show up due to cancellations, or if you do not get your cancellation refund, you should be able to call and have things fixed pretty easily.

ThIs is us too. We're checking in the 15th and driving from NY. We were supposed to be leaving this evening at 6:30 to start our drive down to check in on the 11th finally rescheduled last night at 2:30 AM to come in on the 15th the guy I talk to you was very accommodating and said if we still couldn't make it down to just call and reschedule again with no problem we did kid to keep our free dining etc. and he said they would do everything they could to accommodate us whatever our decision. We are going to leave on Tuesday evening to make sure we have plenty of time to get there and we are going to see how it goes if we get down to Georgia and find no gas or open roads to Orlando we'll head home and reschedule. We will be driving an RV so that makes it a little more comfortable for us to do that we can camp all along the way

Please watch the path of the storm carefully! You'll definitely NOT want to be driving an RV into high winds!

If you go to weather.com it doesn't seem like they list Category 4 hurricane weather for Disney World. 84 mph winds??

SUN
SEP 10 Heavy Rain/Wind
77°73°
100%
NE 58 mph 88%

MON
SEP 11 AM Rain/Wind
79°71°
100%
SW 84 mph 81%

Okay. I have iPhone 7 but not chrome.
Chrome pretty awesome. I love all things Apple but I gotta admit, I never use Safari. Chrome all the way, on my Macbook, my phone and my iPad. Plus, it means when I am on my PC at work, all my settings follow right along. Sorry to go OT

:wave: Hello Gustav buddy! We lost power for a week. It was stupid. Isaac scared me more, though.
I wouldn't underestimate a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane. We lived in Charlottesville when Isabel came through in 2003 as a tropical storm with about 60 mph winds (and Charlottesville is about 80 miles inland from where Isabel landed) and we had heavy rain/flooding and lost power for a week. Being without power for a week blows. We spent the night in the living room and listened to crashing trees most of the night.

If you go to weather.com it doesn't seem like they list Category 4 hurricane weather for Disney World. 84 mph winds??

SUN
SEP 10 Heavy Rain/Wind
77°73°
100%
NE 58 mph 88%

MON
SEP 11 AM Rain/Wind
79°71°
100%
SW 84 mph 81%

That's because at this point, it's unlikely that Orlando will see Category 4 strength winds. 84 MPH is Category 1 strength, and even that is less likely than not, according to latest NHC charts.

Again, facts (as they are currently available), not subjective judgement.

I wouldn't underestimate a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane. We lived in Charlottesville when Isabel came through in 2003 as a tropical storm with about 60 mph winds (and Charlottesville is about 80 miles inland from where Isabel landed) and we had heavy rain/flooding and lost power for a week. Being without power for a week blows. We spent the night in the living room and listened to crashing trees most of the night.

Yep! We had water coming through our outlets and under our door of our apartment. Couldn't wash the towels for a week. BLECH.

We are traveling down to Orlando from Atlanta area next Friday 9/15. My biggest concern at this point is the traffic of all the returning evacuees and gas availability. Staying with brother in Polk City for a couple days (if his home is still available) and checking into resort Sunday 9/17 - 9/22.

For all of you that your reservations are still showing online, and are wondering if the cancellation or change went through, do not fret as the system is very backlogged. I booked a bounceback on our departure day (Wednesday) and I sill have not received an email confirmation (and it's been almost 48 hours). I know that it was booked because I have confirmation numbers and I can see the pending charges on my credit card, but as I said, no email confirmations from Disney yet. So what I am saying is, if you called and cancelled or changed your trip and you are still seeing in online or have not received a cancellation or change email, do not fret. It will likely come eventually.

We are traveling down to Orlando from Atlanta area next Friday 9/15. My biggest concern at this point is the traffic of all the returning evacuees and gas availability. Staying with brother in Polk City for a couple days (if his home is still available) and checking into resort Sunday 9/17 - 9/22.
We are supposed to spend the weekend in Ponte Vedra, driving down Friday 9/15 and returning Sunday 9/17, also driving from Atlanta. My DH has a conference and we were going to have a nice beach weekend at the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club. My DH still has to go because he's giving a talk, but I think I'm going to stay behind. We just drove up on Wednesdays with the evacuees and the traffic was horrible. I'm thinking like you that all the evacuees will be heading back south later next week and I don't want to be stuck in traffic for hours again.

Our first ever trip to WDW was in Sept 1999 and we were *lucky* enough to be there when Hurricane Floyd decided to barrel on through. Having never experience a hurricane before I can say that I was extremely happy with the way Disney handled things, from closing the parks (which I believe was a first time ever thing for Disney at the time) to accommodating people who couldn't leave etc. It was interesting to see the cast members go into "lock down" mode, removing or securing anything that could possibly move. I honestly would prefer to be at a Disney resort than in my own home during that kind of event. Our second trip to WDW was in Sept 2001, so we were there for 9/11 which was an extremely surreal experience while in the "bubble" of Disney. Bottom line is, don't go on vacation with us as bad things seem to happen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter