• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

"Hi! Hope your plan works out. We thought about doing that all, but when you switch your SW reservations, I was told your ticket then goes to nonrefundable. Aka if something happens and you have to cancel altogether, you're out of luck or only get a travel voutcher in its stead. Did you get that same information, or are you just willing to swallow the cost in the case that Sat morning flight is canceled, or if you decide to cancel your entire trip?" (forgot to insert the quote)

My travel agent didn't tell me that, but I wouldn't be surprised. If so, we'll take the credit.

I actually was just able to book PoP from Saturday to Monday as a contingency plan. I live in Tampa and have an AP. Depending on which way the hurricane tracks I'll either head to PoP or hunker down in Tampa.

need people's opinions hopefully this will be welcomed here. I'm not vacationing to Disney I am moving to Orlando from Cleveland Ohio. I am supposed to move next Wednesday, a week from tomorrow. If you were in my position would you still move Wednesday or would you leave here Friday (in 3 days). I can't decide what's safer riding out the storm there or driving through the remnants and aftermath.

I noticed no one responded to you - I would plan to wait for your move, especially if there isn't a reason NOT to wait. As stated previously, you won't want to be in the traffic (as people may be headed home after the evac), and gas and hotels may be difficult to find. Good luck with your move, though!

Does anyone have experience canceling a flight purchased through credit card points? My departure was booked through JetBlue directly so they will refund me, but the departure was through points (and obviously if I can't get to Orlando, I won't be on that flight back). Would love to be able to get that credit back to reschedule, as I was supposed to travel 9/10-9/14.

We considered pushing our trip back a few days (arriving Tuesday instead of Sunday), but I'm leaning more towards canceling entirely and rebooking for the week of the 23rd. Didn't want to risk that we'd arrive and have bad weather or just a hard time driving around in an unfamiliar area/rental car. Fingers crossed that there's no more crazy weather this month so that rebooking for a few weeks later proves to be worth it...

Just made a T-Rex reservation for Thursday! We changed our original reservation to Wolfgang Pucks then got a call a few months ago they were closing. Couldn't get T-Rex back. Now magically it was available :rolleyes1

We moved our flight up a day from landing Saturday at 3:05pm to landing Friday at 3:05pm in hopes of avoiding any flight cancellations or re-routing. We actually ended up with a $410 credit because the new flight is cheaper now than it was when we booked (and there are 6 of us so it was $70 per ticket). Now I feel confident that we'll at least land without issue and now we just have to add a one night reservation.

My heart goes out to everyone worrying about their homes and loved ones. This storm sounds like nothing to fool around with at this point - but we don't have the option to reschedule so we're hoping for the best and knowing that we can still cancel if later models make it seem dangerous for our family.

We are here now, staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. No info directly from WDW yet. We are supposed to fly out on this Saturday, 9/9 at 5pm. What happens if we can't fly out? Should we try to leave earlier? If so, we lose a park day on Friday (Animal Kingdom with Pandora fp - our only animal kingdom day). Any advice??

Have seen differing reports as to when it will effect Orlando area with wind/rain etc.

The reason you are seeing differing reports is that no one can yet predict exactly where the storm will head, which means they can't yet predict how it will impact a given area in Florida. So the various sources you are looking at are not based upon fact but instead just varying speculations about what might happen.

Not trying to be rude but for those who have already cancelled or moved reservations, could I please request you cancel dining reservations?

Just made a T-Rex reservation for Thursday! We changed our original reservation to Wolfgang Pucks then got a call a few months ago they were closing. Couldn't get T-Rex back. Now magically it was available :rolleyes1
Not sure this is the time or the place.

reading lots of post of people cancelling which is a total bummer, but i get it.

Would love to know how many people lurking here are still planning to go sometime in the next week and what plans they have it place? We are headed out tomorrow morning and scheduled to fly home next Tuesday evening. We are staying at the Grand Floridian. We booked a rental car for saturday in the event that we felt we needed to start heading north out of Florida (we live in Ohio). Otherwise we plan to make the best of it!

We have an evening flight getting into Orlando at 11/10 at 11 pm with a return on 11/14. Our flight down in on Southwest. With work schedules, that's when we are off. We aren't making any reservation changes and will just wait and see what happens. If our evening flight gets canceled, I think we'd still go if we can get in on Monday the 11th (morning flight) -- A bigger delay that that we'll have to scramble -- check with work and the airlines for other options or cancel the trip and drive to Branson, MO (definitely not the appeal of Orlando for us).

We are staying at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club SeaWorld
the 11th we were planning on doing the Titanic attraction, Orlando Eye, Madame Tussauds, and dinner at Disney Springs - plus chance to see the place for the first time since the remodel

the 12th we were planning on doing SeaWorld

The 13th we were planning on the Magic Kingdom

The 14th we have an 11ish flight back on Frontier to St. Louis.

We are doing another trip in November, so could at least use tickets then.

Last edited:
As a Florida part time resident I just have to ask what kind of stupid do you have to be to travel to our state to experience the 5th largest storm to ever be recorded in the Atlantic ocean. I of course say this with tongue in cheek, and I know people plan their Disney trips over many years, but I seriously have to ask if people think a major, one of the most major storms ever recorded, will be just cleaned up the day after with a few men and brooms and then its all Dole whips and Peterpan. Folks need to think that if it is a major storm then it will probably take more than a couple cleaning folks to make the results go away. Additionally I cant believe that adding more humans to an environment set to be inundated will make things easier on the safety responders. This baffles me.

reading lots of post of people cancelling which is a total bummer, but i get it.

Would love to know how many people lurking here are still planning to go sometime in the next week and what plans they have it place? We are headed out tomorrow morning and scheduled to fly home next Tuesday evening. We are staying at the Grand Floridian. We booked a rental car for saturday in the event that we felt we needed to start heading north out of Florida (we live in Ohio). Otherwise we plan to make the best of it!

Maybe we'll be the only ones in the park. Those are out dates as well. I contacted my TA who said, to continue as planned right now because she is even there now, but will let me know if she hears anything.

Good idea about canceling dining reservations. I don't have any of those, but I'm about to make someone happy with the FP+ I'm going to cancel. :-)

As a Florida part time resident I just have to ask what kind of stupid do you have to be to travel to our state to experience the 5th largest storm to ever be recorded in the Atlantic ocean. I of course say this with tongue in cheek, and I know people plan their Disney trips over many years, but I seriously have to ask if people think a major, one of the most major storms ever recorded, will be just cleaned up the day after with a few men and brooms and then its all Dole whips and Peterpan. Folks need to think that if it is a major storm then it will probably take more than a couple cleaning folks to make the results go away. Additionally I cant believe that adding more humans to an environment set to be inundated will make things easier on the safety responders. This baffles me.
We're set to arrive Sunday and Disney wont let me even think about cancelling until they issue a hurricane warning. Trust me, I'm trying to cancel!! I'm a bit annoyed that those of us trying to stay out of the way of floridians that need the gas and hotel rooms and stuff are having a rough time getting our trips cancelled. I get that Disney doesnt want to lose money when it potentially could pass by them but still. . .

Well, if you can predict the future, don't hold out on us. When and where will it hit. We are all waiting to hear your insight.

Don't call me stupid for trying to plan ahead in case the storm moves. It's rude, unfair, and petty. Thanks.

Remember you can have groceries delivered to your resort. There are a number of local grocery delivery services. If not get some non-perishableqs at our resort when you check in-PB and J, bread, water etc. WDW has done a great job iof taking care of their guests during storms. My sister is at SSR right now and texted me that they are keeping their guests informed as the situation with Irma progreeses. She is due to leave on Thursday the 7th.
As for airlines they will cancel flights as the storm gets closer and relax the rules on changing flights (no fees etc.).
Some of the flight cancellations will depend on when and if the airports are closed. Airlines do not want their planes stuck in airports that are in the path of a hurricane.
Stay safe wherever you are.

I noticed no one responded to you - I would plan to wait for your move, especially if there isn't a reason NOT to wait. As stated previously, you won't want to be in the traffic (as people may be headed home after the evac), and gas and hotels may be difficult to find. Good luck with your move, though!

Thank you for responding! I start my new job on September 18th so I need to move down at some point in the next week and a half. Right now I have a hotel booked in Savannah and somewhere off of 75 in Georgia for the 13th so I have two ways down depending on where the storm goes. But again I'm not sure if it's safer instead to head down before it and bunker down with my friend who i am moving in with or to go after. Making the call on Thursday when we hopefully have more of an idea where it's going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter