• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

I am scheduled to get in right around the same time at MCO. I don't have an answer to your question, sorry! But I'm just waiting and worrying for now. I'm hoping that even if our flight gets delayed we'll still be able to get in sometime Sunday.
Timing on flights all depends on the movement of the storm. If it stalls or speeds up, the day with the most impact could change.

But how could they? If someone cancels and decides to go during peak season when everything is more expensive and all booked up how would they accommodate that? It's a bad situation all around I understand, but are you saying people who planned trips at another time should be bumped?

oh i guess i should mentioned, if i go again, i definitely won't go during peak season. i don't think anyone should be bumped, i just think they should try to accommodate for more reservations somehow.

Should I just call and ask for guest services?
I'm not sure. I just called the main number and talked to a CM. My issue was that I wanted to modify my reservation so that I wouldn't have to pay for a night. So, instead of asking for a room for four nights I told her to look for anything available for anytime between now and Jan 1. I didn't state a specific resort preference. When the CM realized that nothing was available, not a single night, for the next four months she called guest services and they fixed the problem.

FYI for Canadians, Looks like Air Canada is allowing those with flights between now and the 11th to any airport in Florida, to reschedule free of charge to any time before October 1.

Westjet has as well for those flying with them between Sept 5 & 11th...

i know i probably won't get those things but they should most definitely give the rate that people purchased their room and/or package at. it's so wrong to take advantage of a customer like that by making them pay more because they had to cancel over a safety reason.

The season prices are because of reasons just like this. They can't give off season prices for Peak season. Only thing fair would be to offer like a bounce back package for same time next year.

i know i probably won't get those things but they should most definitely give the rate that people purchased their room and/or package at. it's so wrong to take advantage of a customer like that by making them pay more because they had to cancel over a safety reason.

Sorry I disagree. This is an act of nature, nothing Disney has done. If someone decides to cancel, and I don't blame them, then the guest takes on the responsibility that their trip didn't happen ......... and they need to book a new one at a time and price that works for them. It is not Disney's responsibility nor do they have open ended capacity to do so. If you will lose out on airfare or other things, that is what travel insurance is for.

It is not taking advantage. Taking advantage comes from necessities like food, water, power ........... Disney is a luxury vacation. It didn't work out because it was booked during hurricane season. It's one reason free dining and lower priced rooms and MNSSHP and Food & Wine all started ... to fill the hotels/parks during hurricane season. We had so few for so long folks seem to forget that. They don't have to offer special deals all year so if you choose to book during a more expensive time, that is the guests choice.

Stinks when you are excited, stinks for the kids .......... but if it is the safest choice for your group, that is a good decision. Rebook when the time/price works for you.

Do we get any money back if we decide to leave early? If we leave the 9th instead of staying till the 12th?

oh i guess i should mentioned, if i go again, i definitely won't go during peak season. i don't think anyone should be bumped, i just think they should try to accommodate for more reservations somehow.
how are they physically going to do that? Can the magically expand restaurants for additional seating or attractions for additional fps?

Before everyone gets their pitchforks out a la "kill the beast" against Disney. There has been no watch or warning for Central Florida yet...last year they started giving full refunds 2 days before the storm was supposed to hit, when we actually had the watches and warnings...here's an article from last year
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/update-disney-waiving-fees-trip-cancellations-due-hurricane-matthew/
I understand 2 days in advance is not a huge time but that is just how these storms operate

:worship:

The winds have shifted the projections every few hours. We won't know for days where it will go past the Cuba/Keys pass. Just because Disney is the magical place to go ........... it's still a business, will operate as such.

We are scheduled at Beach Club from 9/7-9/13---for those who have rescheduled your visit, did BC have any room/availability for September or late October? This has been such a hard decision for us. We need to decide soon what to do. What was the rescheduling fee?

Do we get any money back if we decide to leave early? If we leave the 9th instead of staying till the 12th?
Normally, with a room only reservation you can leave early and get a refund for the nights that you don't stay. With a package, you don't get a refund if you leave early. However, I'm not sure if that will change based on the hurricane.

yes they most certainly should. they should make some kind of accommodation for those who HAVE to cancel in order to be SAFE. whether they actually will do it or not is a whole different monster. but SHOULD they? yes they should.
I disagree! We're most likely cancelling our trip for this weekend and rescheduling. I dont expect Disney to bump other people just so I can get ADR or FPs for my new date. It not disneys fault. I probably will rebook 6 months out so I can get new ADRs and FPs.

Hang in there. I know it's hard not to get upset when you see all of those plans go down the drain. (I know it's minor in the scope of the world, but major in terms of a vacation) You would be surprised how many ADRs you can snag the night before or first thing in the morning. The FPs are tougher but a lot of those can be recovered too.

Sorry I disagree. This is an act of nature, nothing Disney has done. If someone decides to cancel, and I don't blame them, then the guest takes on the responsibility that their trip didn't happen ......... and they need to book a new one at a time and price that works for them. It is not Disney's responsibility nor do they have open ended capacity to do so. If you will lose out on airfare or other things, that is what travel insurance is for.

It is not taking advantage. Taking advantage comes from necessities like food, water, power ........... Disney is a luxury vacation. It didn't work out because it was booked during hurricane season. It's one reason free dining and lower priced rooms and MNSSHP and Food & Wine all started ... to fill the hotels/parks during hurricane season. We had so few for so long folks seem to forget that. They don't have to offer special deals all year so if you choose to book during a more expensive time, that is the guests choice.

Stinks when you are excited, stinks for the kids .......... but if it is the safest choice for your group, that is a good decision. Rebook when the time/price works for you.

i was just ranting. which everyone does. like i mentioned in a previous post, i have depression, and this trip is/was basically my livelihood. it was kind of the only thing i had to look forward to. trying to make it to a new trip date, is going to be very hard for me. i know for some people it's just "oh it stinks", but for me, it's so much more than that.

i just think Disney should be helpful, since they have such a huge impact on this country. not trying to ruffle feather.

If there is anyone else watching this thread for information on NIGHT OF JOY....just had this chat:

Aretha at 15:35, Sep 5:
Hello and thank you for contacting Disney! My name is Aretha! How can I assist you today?

You at 15:35, Sep 5:
Obviously I'm sure you are being overwhelmed with hurricane Irma questions, but any word on the Night of Joy concert being cancelled, or rescheduled?

Aretha at 15:38, Sep 5:
Hello! At this time, we do not have an official cancellation or any dates to be rescheduled. If you would like to cancel your tickets, you can call our Ticket Services team and they can assist you!

You at 15:41, Sep 5:
If there were to be a cancellation of the event, do you know when that would be communicated to guests?

Aretha at 15:43, Sep 5:
It would be communicated as soon as possible. So as soon as there is an official hurricane warning or we have more information regarding the path of the hurricane, you will definitely have more information so keep an eye on your email and our website, just in case!

Hang in there. I know it's hard not to get upset when you see all of those plans go down the drain. (I know it's minor in the scope of the world, but major in terms of a vacation) You would be surprised how many ADRs you can snag the night before or first thing in the morning. The FPs are tougher but a lot of those can be recovered too.

thank you for this kind response :) i am dealing with a lot so right now so this is all overwhelming!

We are scheduled at Beach Club from 9/7-9/13---for those who have rescheduled your visit, did BC have any room/availability for September or late October? This has been such a hard decision for us. We need to decide soon what to do. What was the rescheduling fee?
I just looked and they have a standard club level room for $557 per night from 9/17 to 9/22. The rate is their regular rack rate. I'm not sure if you had a discount on your previous reservation but, if you did, they might be able to use it to reduce the price per night. I have no idea of what the rescheduling fee is, but I suspect that it could be waived based on the weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter