Hurricane Irma?

How many days/partial days did WDW close for Matthew last year?
IIRC, they closed the parks at 5pm and stayed closed the entire following day, but reopened Disney Springs around that day.

Remember, Matthew was supposed to hit Orlando pretty hard, but then he shifted and Orlando missed much of the impact.

Storm moved a little more south

If it goes over Cuba it will lose some strength but not a ton

There is a part of me that hopes it doesn't come to Orlando (of course) but I would really hate to see this thing get into the Gulf this soon after Harvey. It just needs to turn NOW . . . out to sea please! Between trying to get ready to leave on vacation (and possibly checking in right in the middle of this mess) and making sure the house is ready in case relatives who usually need to evacuate from coastal Florida have everything they might need, I'm getting pretty stressed out! Not cancelling though!

Does anyone have insight as to what happens if on check out day the airport is shut down? We are flying out early Monday morning and that looks risky right now. We are just going for the weekend and leaving earlier doesn't make sense, we would just cancel. If the airport is down and hotel is on lock down what do they do with guests who were supposed to check out? Thanks!
We were there last year during Matthew, we were supposed to check out Friday the day Matthew arrived. We were told that if we had to stay they would make a room available for us(paying for it of course), they couldn't promise it was the room we were currently in and we might have to move. It was pretty chaotic and I am sure they were juggling people who might be postponing along with available inventory but they were able to accommodate us. We decided to leave Thursday instead and they made sure at check out that we understood that they probably wouldn't be able to promise a room if we changed our minds again. It was a bummer to leave early but in the end was better than sitting around our hotel room to just leave the next day.

Blech I am sorry for everything trying to plan around this. Been through many storms and I am still very anxious and worrisome about them. I'm following this one closely. There are several disturbances out there right now. I hate this time of year.

We were there last year during Matthew, we were supposed to check out Friday the day Matthew arrived. We were told that if we had to stay they would make a room available for us(paying for it of course), they couldn't promise it was the room we were currently in and we might have to move. It was pretty chaotic and I am sure they were juggling people who might be postponing along with available inventory but they were able to accommodate us. We decided to leave Thursday instead and they made sure at check out that we understood that they probably wouldn't be able to promise a room if we changed our minds again. It was a bummer to leave early but in the end was better than sitting around our hotel room to just leave the next day.
Thank you for the info!!

It seems now that Orlando won't be affect until Sunday at the earliest (of course that could all change - could get hit early could miss completely). So today until Saturday should be fine. Late Sunday through Tuesday still the time to watch.

Will they waive ADR fees if the parks close early?
They did and the next day after the all clear and reopening of restaurants they cancelled everyone's ADRs for that day and it was limited menus but first come first serve. We attempted Disney springs but it was already a two hour wait so we tried O'hana and were sat down in 20 mins

They did and the next day after the all clear and reopening of restaurants they cancelled everyone's ADRs for that day and it was limited menus but first come first serve. We attempted Disney springs but it was already a two hour wait so we tried O'hana and were sat down in 20 mins
Really good to know-thank you!

We arrive at the Poly on Sunday and the plan is Hollywood Studios Monday and then we have tickets for Extra Magic Morning in Magic Kingdom on Tuesday.

Would those tickets be refunded if the park is closed? What are the chances of the park BEING closed on Tuesday if this thing hits Sunday?

Ugh. This is making me think about cancelling the whole trip... It's a LOT of money to lose out on two park days and our favorite ADRs at Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace AND Ohana breakfast...

Last edited:
On our way to the Poly right now! :dancer: I am not worrying too much, but if it does come our way around Monday it would be a bit of a bummer. Our little guy is a huuuuuge Star Wars fan and is 4, so he's finally old enough for JTA. He's watched his sisters do it a couple times and is so excited about finally being old enough. Wondering if we need to go ahead and try to move our DHS day. Monday would be best, but it sure won't be if there is a ton of rain.

I'm thinking of canceling (no trip insurance though) because I have just 4 nights/3 1/2 park days. If WDW is closed anytime between the 9-12th, that would take about 50% of my park time plus risking not being able to fly home on the 13th. I will make a decision on Wednesday.

Does anyone have insight as to what happens if on check out day the airport is shut down? We are flying out early Monday morning and that looks risky right now. We are just going for the weekend and leaving earlier doesn't make sense, we would just cancel. If the airport is down and hotel is on lock down what do they do with guests who were supposed to check out? Thanks!

My guess is that you would just stay at the hotel. If the airport is shut down and hotel is on lock down you would just stay. You would contact the airlines and get a different flight out. The hotel would most likely have rooms available since incoming guests would not be able to check in. Plus IF it does become a problem, many will cancel so you would stay put until everything re-opens.

Monday at 8pm looks fun
I'm thinking of canceling (no trip insurance though) because I have just 4 nights/3 1/2 park days. If WDW is closed anytime between the 9-12th, that would take about 50% of my park time plus risking not being able to fly home on the 13th. I will make a decision on Wednesday.

We are in the same boat as you...9/9-9/13. If we were going for a full week, I'd chance the weather but we have this very small window due to a lot of other things in life.

Sorry, no disrespect, but some of these questions just make me LOL! 'No One' knows these answers,
I don't think most people are looking for hard and fast answers. But talking through possibilities means being able to wrap our heads around options, make a solid plan B and C so that we can make informed decisions on very short notice. I personally appreciate everyone who has been sharing all the different perspectives so that I won't START replanting with 24 hours lead time and I can set my expectations appropriately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter