How's Covington Louisiana?

Dreams&wishes

DIS Veteran
Hubby might be offered a position in Covington Louisiana, how is it to live there? Which ones are the best suburbs and private schools? We are from Australia and have four children.
Would it be better to live in New Orleans and commute there?

I haven't spent any appreciable time in Covington in over 30 years, but I can tell you this; much of the North Shore, as it's known, has become one large interconnected suburb, also including the towns of Abita Springs, Madisonville, Mandeville, & Lacombe. Also relatively close are Slidell and Hammond. All are closer than NOLA and do not require commuting across the Ponchartrain Causeway. (The Causeway is one of the longest bridges in the world, 24 miles over water. Even though it is now 4 lanes wide, if there is an accident or a breakdown on it, traffic just *stops*, sometimes for hours. Even though your DH would be running against traffic -- most residents commute in the other direction on the Causeway -- I'd avoid setting yourselves up for a daily Causeway commute if at all possible.)

It's a lovely area in terms of natural beauty, and has some of the best hiking trails and floating streams in the state; I spent a lot of time outdoors in St. Tammany Parish when I was young. Do be sure you pay attention to the elevation of a potential property; parts of the North Shore are low-lying and often flood, but there are gentle hills there, too. Fishing & hunting in the area is phenomenally good.

One note about schools: In that part of the South, school district quality is often next to meaningless; schools inside a given district often display a wide range of quality. Always investigate the individual school that your child would be attending, and don't rely on district numbers as a whole. Like all US public schools, Louisiana schools are locally managed and supported by taxes. However, property tax revenue is generally rather lower than you might expect in bedroom communities, because the Louisiana Homestead Exemption is $75K; you only pay property tax on the portion of your home's value that exceeds that amount. For that reason, the majority of public educational funding in most of Louisiana comes from sales taxes instead. Private schools also vary widely in quality; almost all are associated with a religious body of some sort, usually either Roman Catholic, Episcopal, or just called Christian (which usually denotes affiliation with a fundamentalist denomination.)

Last edited:
Hubby might be offered a position in Covington Louisiana, how is it to live there? Which ones are the best suburbs and private schools? We are from Australia and have four children.
Would it be better to live in New Orleans and commute there?
You definitely DO NOT want to live in New Orleans! The crime rate is unreal. Covington or Mandeville would be good choices. I think NotUrsula gave you some good information to start with.

Thank you for your suggestions.
I would look at staying in Covington then.

But generally do you think it's a nice place to live of is it dangerous? Obviously being from Australia the whole "everyone has a gun" frightens me, but is it really that bad? What about cyclones and bugs? Will my kids fit in or is it too much of a tight community?

Thank you

Thank you for your suggestions.
I would look at staying in Covington then.

But generally do you think it's a nice place to live of is it dangerous? Obviously being from Australia the whole "everyone has a gun" frightens me, but is it really that bad? What about cyclones and bugs? Will my kids fit in or is it too much of a tight community?

Thank you
Covington is a community of about 12,000 people.

Many people who work in New Orleans proper raise their families in the suburbs.

The surrounding communities NotUrsula mentioned are the communities where they raise families and commute in. These communities are small, friendly towns with good people.

People do have guns, but they're not on display on their person all the time. Most of the time, you have no idea if anyone is carrying a gun. Though we know there's a gun culture, we are not reminded of it unless something happens in the news. The news sensationalizes everything.

Hurricane season happens every year, but there is not a hurricane to hit an area every year. This year, the tropics are quiet. Hurricane season starts June 1 and runs through November. So far, there has been absolutely nothing to threaten the US of any significance.

Bugs, yes there are bugs. It's a tropic, hot, wet climate. Bugs are not really a threat or bother.

Why wouldn't your kids fit in?

I live an hour away from Covington on the Mississippi Gulf coast our communities are all very similar in this region.

Our adult son's best friend is from Covington. Our daughter in law is from Slidell. Her father worked in New Orleans, but raised their family in Slidell.

New Orleans is a fun city to visit, with rich history and traditions. Dh and I spent a weekend in New Orleans last month. Just watch for homeless, and use sensible cautions as one would in a big city.

Have you looked up anything about Covington online? There's a Wikipedia.

Our communities here have chamber of commerces and tourism visitor offices- the business and newcomer starting places to get more info. I think you should reach out with your questions about schools, neighborhoods to live, etc.

https://www.covla.com/things-to-do-for-visitors/

https://www.louisiananorthshore.com/

Covington is a community of about 12,000 people.

Many people who work in New Orleans proper raise their families in the suburbs.

The surrounding communities NotUrsula mentioned are the communities where they raise families and commute in. These communities are small, friendly towns with good people.

People do have guns, but they're not on display on their person all the time. Most of the time, you have no idea if anyone is carrying a gun. Though we know there's a gun culture, we are not reminded of it unless something happens in the news. The news sensationalizes everything.

Hurricane season happens every year, but there is not a hurricane to hit an area every year. This year, the tropics are quiet. Hurricane season starts June 1 and runs through November. So far, there has been absolutely nothing to threaten the US of any significance.

Bugs, yes there are bugs. It's a tropic, hot, wet climate. Bugs are not really a threat or bother.

Why wouldn't your kids fit in?

I live an hour away from Covington on the Mississippi Gulf coast our communities are all very similar in this region.

Our adult son's best friend is from Covington. Our daughter in law is from Slidell. Her father worked in New Orleans, but raised their family in Slidell.

New Orleans is a fun city to visit, with rich history and traditions. Dh and I spent a weekend in New Orleans last month. Just watch for homeless, and use sensible cautions as one would in a big city.

Have you looked up anything about Covington online? There's a Wikipedia.

Our communities here have chamber of commerces and tourism visitor offices- the business and newcomer starting places to get more info. I think you should reach out with your questions about schools, neighborhoods to live, etc.

https://www.covla.com/things-to-do-for-visitors/

https://www.louisiananorthshore.com/
Thank you for your reply.

I'm afraid my kids wouldn't fit in because if it's a small community all the kids probably already know each other and it's harder to fit in. We have done international assignments before, but they could go to international schools where kids were coming from many places and from similar situations.

Anyway the way you described it sounded lovely so thank you again.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm afraid my kids wouldn't fit in because if it's a small community all the kids probably already know each other and it's harder to fit in. We have done international assignments before, but they could go to international schools where kids were coming from many places and from similar situations.

Anyway the way you described it sounded lovely so thank you again.

Being a suburb of New Orleans, there will be people who work in New Orleans and are from places around the country and world.

I don't think your kids would have trouble fitting in. I encourage you to reach out to the resources I posted.

Our Mississippi Gulf Coast has a huge influence of US military because of training bases. My kids are friends with people from all walks of life. Our daughter's best friend's family is Islamic from Ethiopia.

Another family I know just returned from 2 years in Paris after a military assignment

You definitely DO NOT want to live in New Orleans! The crime rate is unreal. Covington or Mandeville would be good choices. I think NotUrsula gave you some good information to start with.
I live in New Orleans and feel the exact opposite. Living in New Orleans is incredible, especially if you live in or near the historic areas (French Quarter or Garden District, which are the most fun and also the highest ground). The people are fantastic, you'll easily make friends everywhere you go. And it's so walkable, you'll find world-class or casual (but still incredible) dining, bars of every description, live music, cultural events, and more all within an easy five-minute walk from your house. Your kids will have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, to learn a very important part of US history up close and personal (NOLA was once the crown jewel of the South, and many of our buildings are still preserved today), and to immerse themselves in an incredible culture that's unlike anything else you'll find on the planet.

Covington and Mandeville are nasty, noisy, overcrowded suburbs packed with the same chains you'll find anywhere and busybodies who love to badmouth the city and second-guess everything that happens here, but are all too eager to come in on the weekends and during festivals and pretend they're locals.

Yes, there's crime in NOLA. There's also crime in every city on the planet, including Covington and Mandeville. But contrary to what folks would like you to believe, we're not getting randomly gunned down on the streets.

Causeway traffic can be annoying, but as someone noted upthread, your DH will be going opposite from traffic each day. So, would you rather DH commute against traffic everyday, but be on the right side of that 24 mile bridge to easily get to Mardi Gras, French Quarter Festival, Jazz Fest, and everything else that happens throughout the year? Or, would you rather live closer to his work, but have to deal with hours-long traffic backups when you and everyone else on the North Shore want to get into the city for a festival, event, or just to find a decent meal?

I'd stay far away from Covington/Mandeville/anywhere on the North Shore. No sense in bringing your family all the way from Australia to live in a crowded suburb with no charm.

I live in New Orleans and feel the exact opposite. Living in New Orleans is incredible, especially if you live in or near the historic areas (French Quarter or Garden District, which are the most fun and also the highest ground). The people are fantastic, you'll easily make friends everywhere you go. And it's so walkable, you'll find world-class or casual (but still incredible) dining, bars of every description, live music, cultural events, and more all within an easy five-minute walk from your house. Your kids will have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, to learn a very important part of US history up close and personal (NOLA was once the crown jewel of the South, and many of our buildings are still preserved today), and to immerse themselves in an incredible culture that's unlike anything else you'll find on the planet.

Covington and Mandeville are nasty, noisy, overcrowded suburbs packed with the same chains you'll find anywhere and busybodies who love to badmouth the city and second-guess everything that happens here, but are all too eager to come in on the weekends and during festivals and pretend they're locals.

Yes, there's crime in NOLA. There's also crime in every city on the planet, including Covington and Mandeville. But contrary to what folks would like you to believe, we're not getting randomly gunned down on the streets.

Causeway traffic can be annoying, but as someone noted upthread, your DH will be going opposite from traffic each day. So, would you rather DH commute against traffic everyday, but be on the right side of that 24 mile bridge to easily get to Mardi Gras, French Quarter Festival, Jazz Fest, and everything else that happens throughout the year? Or, would you rather live closer to his work, but have to deal with hours-long traffic backups when you and everyone else on the North Shore want to get into the city for a festival, event, or just to find a decent meal?

I'd stay far away from Covington/Mandeville/anywhere on the North Shore. No sense in bringing your family all the way from Australia to live in a crowded suburb with no charm.
Thank you for this.

I have always been fascinated by New Orleans and its culture.
I'm originally from Milan Italy, and have lived in London so I'm accustomed to big cities, not so much to small towns, but I'm open minded. I think it would be charming to live in a small historical village. I just want an easy place for my kids to fit in.

Covington has a wonderful charm to it. I moved to Abita Springs right after Ida and work in New Orleans East. I rarely eat any chain restaurants except for some small regional chains and have found great restaurants to be regulars at depending on my mood.

Covington has their own festivals that are a lot of fun to go to. I find people to be really kind and welcoming. I'm able to walk to breweries and restaurants from my home. There is the Tammany Trace where we can easily bike or run on.

Each community, whether North Shore, New Orleans, West Bank, Jefferson Parish have their own pluses and minuses that I went through in detail last year when we were moving here. We ultimately decided to go for living in a unique small town with the ability to have some land (over an acre) and quiet living when we purchased our home. My husband had lived in Central Business District of New Orleans for his first 2 months and I'm glad for the decisions we made.

Thank you for this.

I'm originally from Milan Italy, and have lived in London so I'm accustomed to big cities, not so much to small towns, but I'm open minded. I think it would be charming to live in a small historical village. I just want an easy place for my kids to fit in.
With this additional information, I truly think you would adore New Orleans. It's the best of both worlds--a big city with all the amenities you would expect, from major museums and sports arenas to rideshares and hundreds of food delivery options. But each neighborhood is its own unique historical village, with its own traditions and local pubs and cultural heritage. But since it's all part of the same city, there's no snobbery or sense of being out of place in a different neighborhood. And of course, we host the world for all our various events throughout the year, so you'll experience a constant stream of tourists (some obnoxious, some quite charming). It's just an incredible city to explore. I've lived here off and for 20 years, and I still find something new every time I walk out my front door.

One thing that will help your kids fit in is our public charter school system. In most places in the US (including Covington/Mandeville), kids go to the school nearby, regardless of whether it's any good or not, and regardless of whether it fits their needs. The New Orleans system is different. Whether your kids are into science and math or the arts, whether you want them to get a bilingual education or go to a Montessori school, you get to choose. And that's true from pre-K all the way through high school. You can search for the highest rated schools, schools that fit your kids' interests, schools that are especially known for working with any challenges they might have...some of the top specialty schools do require testing to enter, but there's truly something for every child.

I also suspect that with your background, you're likely not an American-style "helicopter parent." That is, you're likely used to giving your child age-appropriate freedoms. Assuming that's true, you'll find that New Orleans is the perfect place to do that. Kids here tend to be allowed to roam, first within the neighborhood and then as they get older, by bicycle or streetcar or city bus. Try letting a 13 year old go to the park alone in Covington, and the neighbors will call the cops. In the city, the neighbors will keep an eye on them. Our communities are both tight-knit and extremely welcoming. You'll know all your neighbors by the end of the first week, if not the first day. We're very expansive here, always looking to make new connections with new people.

I also suspect that originally being from Europe, you're not a pearl clutcher. Some people freak out if their kids see people drinking, or stumble upon a Gay Pride celebration, or view anything that isn't entirely sanitized. If that's not you, your family will do just fine in New Orleans.

Covington has a wonderful charm to it. I moved to Abita Springs right after Ida and work in New Orleans East. I rarely eat any chain restaurants except for some small regional chains and have found great restaurants to be regulars at depending on my mood.

Covington has their own festivals that are a lot of fun to go to. I find people to be really kind and welcoming. I'm able to walk to breweries and restaurants from my home. There is the Tammany Trace where we can easily bike or run on.

Each community, whether North Shore, New Orleans, West Bank, Jefferson Parish have their own pluses and minuses that I went through in detail last year when we were moving here. We ultimately decided to go for living in a unique small town with the ability to have some land (over an acre) and quiet living when we purchased our home. My husband had lived in Central Business District of New Orleans for his first 2 months and I'm glad for the decisions we made.
Different strokes and all that. I'm glad you're enjoying Abita Springs. I've never lived on the North Shore, but when I owned a remodeling company I spent a lot of time over there on projects. I've always found the entire North Shore to be closed-minded, incredibly mean-spirited about the city and how it runs, and wall to wall "anywhere USA" suburbs. Again, different strokes.

I also wanted to add, Jackson Square is a sort of microcosm of the cultural spirit of the city. It's the center point of the French Quarter, where the St. Louis Cathedral is. It's also a gathering spot for, well, everyone. You could be in a conversation with a group of people--one's a bank president, one's a homeless man, one's a schoolteacher, one's a tarot reader, and one's a tourist who just arrived that morning. And nobody cares, because nobody even knows. In NOLA, it's all about who you are, not what you do or where you came from. And by the end of that conversation, you might just all be fast friends.

OK, I can see JLT has said the part I was cautious about mentioning, so I'll be a bit more frank. It is absolutely true that the North Shore can be a lovely place, particularly if you are really fond of the outdoors, but it does consist almost exclusively of small towns and recently-developed generic suburbia (Abita Springs being a notable exception; it's tiny, but old and very arty.) It is also absolutely true that a commute that takes anyone over the Ponchartrain Causeway daily (even in the reverse of the usual flow) is a recipe for frequent and intense aggravation, and I do recommend against taking that on. Also, the food on the North Shore is every bit as good as the city if you know where to go and have friends who can cook. Still, it's definitely a suburban environment, and the vibe is unmistakeably conservative overall.

For me personally, if you asked me which side of the Lake I would choose to live on if I didn't have to drive across it every day? I'd come down squarely on the New Orleans side. Yes, crime in Orleans, Jefferson and St. Bernard Parishes is bad, but as in most communities where there is a large economic divide between the haves and have-nots, the majority of violent crimes happen in the poorer parts of the City except for crimes of domestic violence. Property crime everywhere else in the New Orleans area Parishes is still generally high, but as JLT pointed out, not nearly as pervasive as people who live elsewhere in the state would have you believe. Now, some people can live with that and some cannot, and it does require constant vigilance. To be happy living in New Orleans you really have to be comfortable with acceptance of the idea that sooner or later someone WILL break into your house or car, and possibly more than once in an average year. You also have to know that if you make the mistake of wandering alone from a bar to your car alone at night, it's fairly likely you're going to get rolled for your purse or wallet. It's crucial to understand this: if that possibility terrifies or incenses you, New Orleans is not your City. (I come from a pretty large family, and all of my relatives have now moved away, for just this reason. I moved away because I got a job in another state, and stayed away because I married a Yankee ... not because I didn't love New Orleans, warts and all. I've always loved the place, but that makes me the family oddball, which is why I didn't say all this in my initial post.)

For those of us who love it, New Orleans has an addictive urban energy that's difficult to describe. It also has a high tolerance for oddity; NOLA is a very live-and-let-live place on an individual level, and pretty much always has been. It's in the deep South, and the history and legacy of institutionalized racism in Louisiana cannot be denied, but daily life in New Orleans has always been a bit more diverse than in most other places in the state, those barriers notwithstanding. Art, music and local tradition are everywhere, and they permeate daily life. The public schools (which have almost all become charters since Katrina) are hit or miss, and I won't lie and deny that some are truly abysmal, but the ones that are good, such as NOCCA or Ben Franklin, are VERY good. There is also a strong tradition of faith-based private schools that have a lot of connection to the social structure of the city, sometimes in good ways, and sometimes in ways that can be unpleasantly insular.

New Orleans is FAR from perfect, but if it's your place, you'll know it, and if it isn't, well, you'll know that, too. (I know very few Louisianians who can remain neutral on this topic.)

Last edited:
Thank you for this.

New Orleanian here & I agree with JL completely. Couldn’t pay me to live “across the lake”. What are the ages of your kids? Private schools are the way to go in the Nola area though. That’s the only advantage of the northshore is better public schools.

OK, I can see JLT has said the part I was cautious about mentioning, so I'll be a bit more frank. It is absolutely true that the North Shore can be a lovely place, particularly if you are really fond of the outdoors, but it does consist almost exclusively of small towns and recently-developed generic suburbia (Abita Springs being a notable exception; it's tiny, but old and very arty.) It is also absolutely true that a commute that takes anyone over the Ponchartrain Causeway daily (even in the reverse of the usual flow) is a recipe for frequent and intense aggravation, and I do recommend against taking that on. Also, the food on the North Shore is every bit as good as the city if you know where to go and have friends who can cook. Still, it's definitely a suburban environment, and the vibe is unmistakeably conservative overall.

For me personally, if you asked me which side of the Lake I would choose to live on if I didn't have to drive across it every day? I'd come down squarely on the New Orleans side. Yes, crime in Orleans, Jefferson and St. Bernard Parishes is bad, but as in most communities where there is a large economic divide between the haves and have-nots, the majority of violent crimes happen in the poorer parts of the City except for crimes of domestic violence. Property crime everywhere else in the New Orleans area Parishes is still generally high, but as JLT pointed out, not nearly as pervasive as people who live elsewhere in the state would have you believe. Now, some people can live with that and some cannot, and it does require constant vigilance. To be happy living in New Orleans you really have to be comfortable with acceptance of the idea that sooner or later someone WILL break into your house or car, and possibly more than once in an average year. You also have to know that if you make the mistake of wandering alone from a bar to your car alone at night, it's fairly likely you're going to get rolled for your purse or wallet. It's crucial to understand this: if that possibility terrifies or incenses you, New Orleans is not your City. (I come from a pretty large family, and all of my relatives have now moved away, for just this reason. I moved away because I got a job in another state, and stayed away because I married a Yankee ... not because I didn't love New Orleans, warts and all. I've always loved the place, but that makes me the family oddball, which is why I didn't say all this in my initial post.)

For those of us who love it, New Orleans has an addictive urban energy that's difficult to describe. It also has a high tolerance for oddity; NOLA is a very live-and-let-live place on an individual level, and pretty much always has been. It's in the deep South, and the history and legacy of institutionalized racism in Louisiana cannot be denied, but daily life in New Orleans has always been a bit more diverse than in most other places in the state, those barriers notwithstanding. Art, music and local tradition are everywhere, and they permeate daily life. The public schools (which have almost all become charters since Katrina) are hit or miss, and I won't lie and deny that some are truly abysmal, but the ones that are good, such as NOCCA or Ben Franklin, are VERY good. There is also a strong tradition of faith-based private schools that have a lot of connection to the social structure of the city, sometimes in good ways, and sometimes in ways that can be unpleasantly insular.

New Orleans is FAR from perfect, but if it's your place, you'll know it, and if it isn't, well, you'll know that, too. (I know very few people Louisianians who can remain neutral on this topic.)
Agreed. And St. Bernard crime is very very minimal. A great alternative to living in Nola & much closer than the northshore. We just moved into St. Bernard from Orleans mostly b/c we didn’t want to cross the bridge every morning to bring DS to school.

Last edited:

New Orleans is FAR from perfect, but if it's your place, you'll know it, and if it isn't, well, you'll know that, too. (I know very few people Louisianians who can remain neutral on this topic.)
Also ftr, I’m 43 & have never had my house or car broken into! And what you wrote was absolutely beautifully written!

New Orleanian here & I agree with JL completely. Couldn’t pay me to live “across the lake”. What are the ages of your kids? Private schools are the way to go in the Nola area though. That’s the only advantage of the northshore is better public schools.
They are 4 6 10 12.
They will go to private school, as that's part of the company relocation package. We are Catholic so ideally prefer a Catholic school although I prefer cohead rather than single sex. I'm concerned of my kids joining schools where most of the friendships groups have been formed.

My kids are very international, they have lived in the UK, Norway and Italy they speak English and Italian they love sports and are very social, but you never know with these things. Obviously they would have a different accent.

It would only be for approx for 3 years so we see it more like an extended holiday.
We love the states so for us is great!

We would be in a rental house, so I'm not sure we would have available the same variety of suburbs as if we were buying a house. And obviously being a family of 6 we will need at least a 4 bedroom house and ideally 5 as we will have relatives coming to stay with us.

They are 4 6 10 12.
They will go to private school, as that's part of the company relocation package. We are Catholic so ideally prefer a Catholic school although I prefer cohead rather than single sex. I'm concerned of my kids joining schools where most of the friendships groups have been formed.

My kids are very international, they have lived in the UK, Norway and Italy they speak English and Italian they love sports and are very social, but you never know with these things. Obviously they would have a different accent.

It would only be for approx for 3 years so we see it more like an extended holiday.
We love the states so for us is great!

We would be in a rental house, so I'm not sure we would have available the same variety of suburbs as if we were buying a house. And obviously being a family of 6 we will need at least a 4 bedroom house and ideally 5 as we will have relatives coming to stay with us.
Most private schools here are Catholic schools & most high schools are single sex. I would say the best ones are single sex not b/c of that but just b/c those are the better schools. There are a few parish schools that are really good & are coed too. They’re typically prek-7th. I don’t think friendship groups will be a problem especially for the youngest 2. I think ppl are very accepting in this area. They’ll probably think your kids are so cool having lived around the world! If anything, I’d be more worried about when it’s time to leave! I think they’ll make a lot of good friends! I don’t know when the move is planned for but would be happy to give you a list of the better schools to look into.

Most private schools here are Catholic schools & most high schools are single sex. I would say the best ones are single sex not b/c of that but just b/c those are the better schools. There are a few parish schools that are really good & are coed too. They’re typically prek-7th. I don’t think friendship groups will be a problem especially for the youngest 2. I think ppl are very accepting in this area. They’ll probably think your kids are so cool having lived around the world! If anything, I’d be more worried about when it’s time to leave! I think they’ll make a lot of good friends! I don’t know when the move is planned for but would be happy to give you a list of the better schools to look into.
Thank you.
It was more because I have two boys and two girls and if I could avoid double pick ups and drop offs that would have been great!😅
The move should be next year, although it's up to us and we are just looking to understand if it's something we should be doing or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter