How to transport toddler in non-stroller areas?

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
We are taking our son on his first trip to Disney in May. He will be 18 months old. I was wondering how most people transport toddlers around places that don't allow strollers (ride queues, Epcot pavilions, etc.) Do most people let them walk? My son can't walk yet, so I'm not sure how good he will be at hand-holding, etc. and the parks are obviously crowded...I'm very nervous he might get knocked over/hurt. I'm a first time mom...am I overthinking this? I am very much a type A personality and am trying to be prepared for all situations!

As mentioned above, it really is a combination.

He won't get knocked over in queues, as there is restricted space, and it's pretty orderly. If he's walking, you might be more concerned about him darting around than standing still. My DS is 2 1/2, and we do a combination of holding him and letting him stand and hold our hands for a brief period of time when he gets too heavy. Your best bet is to really think about your FastPass+ selections and use them to avoid long lines. It's definitely easier with a toddler with short lines.

Epcot is great if he is walking because there are several areas where he can walk/toddle around to get some energy out that don't get too busy. ImageWorks at the end of Journey Into Imagination or the area at the end of Test Track with cars (bonus for a/c) are good spots, and you can enter through the exits.

At the Magic Kingdom, there is a playground geared for smaller children beside Splash Mountain/under the train tracks. Animal Kingdom has the Boneyard Playground, and you can also take the Wildlife Express Train to Rafiki's Planet Watch, where he can pet and brush the goats (this is the cleanest petting zoo I have ever seen, and there are hand washing stations at the exit. The goats are also extremely mellow and calm, and there are cast members all around).

Hollywood Studios has been tricky for us with a toddler. There's tons of great character meets but nowhere for them to really walk around. The Disney Jr. Live show is a little interactive, where kids are asked to stand up at points, etc. (you sit on the ground).

We are taking our son on his first trip to Disney in May. He will be 18 months old. I was wondering how most people transport toddlers around places that don't allow strollers (ride queues, Epcot pavilions, etc.) Do most people let them walk? My son can't walk yet, so I'm not sure how good he will be at hand-holding, etc. and the parks are obviously crowded...I'm very nervous he might get knocked over/hurt. I'm a first time mom...am I overthinking this? I am very much a type A personality and am trying to be prepared for all situations!

I'm not going to lie...that's going to be one of the toughest ages to take. Don't get me wrong, still totally worth it and I've done it twice, but that part especially is going to be a pain. In ques, it was a mix between holding them and letting them down. We didn't do the Epcot pavilions really, just the 2 boat rides. You could always bring a baby carrier (I'm not a huge fan of them, but did use one with a few times with the first baby, not as much with the second). In the big picture, it's really not a big deal, it'll be fine, but you'll appreciate when they're more like 3 and able to walk more and at a decent pace etc. lol.

I'm not going to lie...that's going to be one of the toughest ages to take. Don't get me wrong, still totally worth it and I've done it twice, but that part especially is going to be a pain. In ques, it was a mix between holding them and letting them down. We didn't do the Epcot pavilions really, just the 2 boat rides. You could always bring a baby carrier (I'm not a huge fan of them, but did use one with a few times with the first baby, not as much with the second). In the big picture, it's really not a big deal, it'll be fine, but you'll appreciate when they're more like 3 and able to walk more and at a decent pace etc. lol.

I'm quickly realizing this is going to be harder than I thought. I want to squeeze 2 trips in before he turns 3 though! I've been several times (as evidenced by my sig), so there's nothing I "need" to do, so that's good! My son is a big boy, already about 27 lbs at 13 months and it's hard for me to get him into a carrier, let alone hold him for very long (I'm 5'3, 110 lbs). That's mainly why I'm concerned about what to do if we are in a situation where I don't want him toddling around.

I think no it's one of those things I'll just have to figure out on the fly! I still feel like a new parent, but even I know you can't always plan every single thing with little kids.

Can you wear him? At that age, my son was very comfortable in the Ergo either front or back carry. That might be your best bet.

We took DD 2 years old and that was the earliest I think she would have enjoyed it, tbh. That said, stroller or carrying her worked well. Then she walked when it was safe/easy to do so.

I'm quickly realizing this is going to be harder than I thought. I want to squeeze 2 trips in before he turns 3 though! I've been several times (as evidenced by my sig), so there's nothing I "need" to do, so that's good! My son is a big boy, already about 27 lbs at 13 months and it's hard for me to get him into a carrier, let alone hold him for very long (I'm 5'3, 110 lbs). That's mainly why I'm concerned about what to do if we are in a situation where I don't want him toddling around.

I think no it's one of those things I'll just have to figure out on the fly! I still feel like a new parent, but even I know you can't always plan every single thing with little kids.

something to try if you can before you go in May, try a local park if close enough maybe get a season pass and take a few visits before your trip. that way you can practice standing in line and moving short distances without stroller. where you don't want him toddling you are going yo have to carry some way in arms or carrier

Can you wear him? At that age, my son was very comfortable in the Ergo either front or back carry. That might be your best bet.

I have an Ergo. The instructions only recommend front carry to 27 lbs, and he's over that. It's been difficult for me to use the front carry for more than a couple of minutes, it hurts my back. Back carry is an option, although I was hoping to avoid dragging more "stuff" than I need to through the parks. If that ends up being the best option though, I'll do it.

For that age I would use a sling because it's easy to take a toddler in and out of a sling (a little harder for other carriers) and because it would help distribute his weight across your body better than just holding him.

We're planning a trip for when my oldest is almost 2 and little sister will be 6 months. I plan to wear both/either of them at any point.

I was a single mother from the time my son was 9 months old and took him everywhere I went. I'm also a very small person, at the time I was only 90 lbs and I'm 5'2" (I weigh more than that now but divorce with a little one = weight loss). He hated strollers from day one, hated being strapped in so as soon as he started walking, he walked just about everywhere. I started taking him WDW just shy of 3 and I think I rented a stroller twice toward the end of the day. When he started standing and then walking, he just stood in front of me in lines, held my hand when walking or walked close enough to me that I could grab him up. He got too heavy for me to hold for any length of time very early but I'm one of 6 kids and know kids can get dirty and it won't kill them, so he was known to sit down in lines sometimes as long as he was up when the line moved.

Let his dad carry him.

Lol! His dad is only 5'5, 140 lbs. We are tiny people with this giant toddler (genetics are hilarious, right??). Like me, it's hard for my husband to carry him for long periods. We could switch back and forth, but were planning to do a couple of things separately and I was trying to plan for those situations.

We've been married for 10 years and so many people told us they couldn't wait to see our "adorable little children." My son is very cute...but little he is not! He's gotten higher and higher on the growth chart as he's gotten older.

We don't use a stroller at the parks at all. Babywearing helps a lot-I couldn't carry DD for more than 5 minutes without my arms getting tired but I can wear her for 12 hours in the Tula and still feel great. Have you looked into a toddler-sized carrier like a toddler Tula? DD is getting up there in size too so we are thinking of switching to a toddler Tula with a back carry--right now she's still small enough for a regular Tula and front carry. I have several friends with large 2-year-olds and they always back carry with toddler carriers in the parks. And a lot of them go by themselves. It is definitely do-able to split up! DS is 3.5 and he's been walking through the parks on his own since he was 2.5, so I'd say you're pretty close to the age when your DS can just hold your hand and walk around.

I'd definitely carry or wear your DS when walking through the regular park if there are heavy crowds, but I've found that people are fine in the queues because the queue moves slowly and is narrow. People aren't going to trample you. Actually, DD and my DS usually make friends with the other kids in line around us and have some playtime while waiting for the ride or character, and it makes waiting much more fun for them. :) Sometimes we make a game of pointing out the costumes other people are wearing because so many kids are dressed up as characters too.

And I wouldn't say that kids under 2 can't enjoy Disney. Wow! It depends so much on the individual child. DD gives character hugs and talks about the characters and rides for days after she leaves. She may not remember it when she's 20 but it's obvious that she's getting something out of the experience right now. We went on POTC last Friday and she's been singing "yo ho a pirate's life for me" and pretending to be a pirate every day this week.

He's a little over a year now, right? If he's not walking at 18 months, that would be a medical concern, and you could use a stroller as a wheelchair in the queues. But if he's typical, he'll be walking just fine at 18 months, and that means holding him for some time in the queue, letting him down so he can walk a bit, handing him off to dad for a bit, etc.

We brought our #3 when he was 18 months old and it was April. I babywear but it was way too hot to wear him....(we've gone in May, too hot to babywear IMO). So hubby and I just took turns carrying him through the lines. We recently moved to FL and actually went to MK yesterday with our 18 month old and it was pretty hot yesterday and I didn't even bring my carrier. So again, we just took turns carrying him. I honestly don't know any 18 month old that will hold your hand like a good little boy/girl during the whole wait, lol. 18 month old boy=little terror. LOL

Last edited:
I use a Tula toddler carrier. It's amazing! My little one is a very tall 2.5 year old and 30 lbs and extremely busy...loves to run around... But she will let me carry her especially when tired! It saves my arms and back!

We just carried our little guy at 18 months but we also have an older child, so the arm strength is pretty ridiculous. We do try to go when the lines will be smaller and not wait for something very long. 20 min was probably our max.

I'm also with a previous poster that depending on when you go, strapping a toddler to yourself sounds way too hot to me, but my kids also run hot so that would be misery for everyone.

I did side carry in my ergo (not at wdw) so maybe that is something that would be comfortable?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter