How to explain that the characters don't talk?

Mamacelt

Earning My Ears
We bought one of the Sing-a-Long videos to get our kids used to how big the characters are, etc. In this one, the characters sing and talk (Mickey, Chip and Dale, etc.) but I know that in the parks the face characters don't. How do you answer your kids' questions about why they don't talk? I don't want to ruin the magic for them by telling them it's just a CM in a costume (even my oldest is young enough to believe they're "real"). My oldest is 5 and full of questions. I know he's going to ask why the characters don't talk when the ones in his video do, and I can't think of a good reason to give him. Help!

thanks,

Lyanne

My DD asks this often. I tell her that if the character talked to every person that came for an autograph or photo, they wouldn't have a chance to get to everyone. So it is easier not to talk then everyone has a chance for a photo. So far she excepts that answer.

we are fans of the singalong videos, and my dd has never questioned that the characters don't talk. (Actually some of them do, and some don't, the Princesses and any other ones with uncovered faces will talk) so bear that in mind when producing an explanation.

My dd was looking at a picture of her and Ariel last week. She said, 'Of course, it's not really Ariel', I was really disappointed, and said 'Why do you say that?', and she replied, 'The real Ariel lives under the sea, this pretend Ariel was above the ground. She was just a pretend one for us to visit with, not like Mickey, he was really real' LOL, I guess we still have the magic for a little while longer!

Bev

That's a very good question. We had prepared our DS3 for the fact that Mickey would be very large, but we didn't think to explain that Mickey wouldn't talk, and DS was very disappointed at first. I felt bad because that kind of spoiled his first meeting with Mickey--DS just kept saying, "Why doesn't he say hi?"

We "met" Mickey 5 times during that trip and after the first time I think DS just got used to Mickey's silence. He still talks about "meeting Mickey" every day! We never did give an explanation, so I'll be looking for ideas from this thread too, for next time!

My response to my kids' questions on characters speaking has been that the characters always have to keep their voice fresh for their movies, TV shows, songs, etc. so they cannot use their voices in the theme parks. So far, so good.

Winnie the Pooh picked my DD (then 4) out of a crowd and took her on the Barnstormer (just the two of them) for a ride. She was really excited and when they returned she said, "I love that ride, but it must have really scared Pooh, because he didn't say a word". I laughed myself silly before explaining that some of the characters can't talk because they have to perform later and don't want to get a sore throat.

We are preparing our son by telling him that there are so many people who want to talk to the character that they would lose their voices if they actually did talk to everyone. I love the idea of saying that they have to keep their voices fresh for the movies! I think I'll have to start using that one too.

As a former cast member here's what we always said. "They speak in the universal language of hugs and kisses." That's what I'm going to use with my 19 month old! Gotta love the magic!!

Jenny
1977 - offsite
1995 - CBR
1997 - Boardwalk
1998 - Contemporary
1999 - Port Orleans
2000 - Dixie Landings
2001 - OKW
2002 - VWL and BCV
2003 - VWL cancelled:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter